Home PEx Business and Careers The Working Filipino
COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Salary comparison: What is your starting base salary? and current salary?

Salary comparison: What is your starting base salary? and current salary? after how many years? Kahit range lang.That will give us a view kung how much ang increase sa market value natin ska ng industry. Also include the industry pla. Skip na natin benefits.

Ill start.

starting ko dati: 12k
current salary:40k+ after 6 yrs
industry: i.t

O kayo nmn.. :naughty:

Comments

• ictict Member PExer
    Can anyone tell me when to ask for a salary raise?

Here is my case... I have been working for this company for nearly a year now and I'm earning 15k, kase admin assistant rate ako, so i understand, iba ang rate compared sa nasa sales or nasa field positions. I have been multi-tasking, admin, rep, accounting, name it...kulang na lang magjanitor ako sa company na to. My problem is that - i heard they are willing to offer 20k to new people who'd be doing only half of my job, and i've known one who's getting that salary. So how exactly do I ask for salary raise? They said they appreciate me being everything, but i think i need more than appreciation. Actually meron nmang raise sa April. But i think its still not enough.

Can anyone advise me a good strategy on this? I want to do this asap. Naffrustrate na ko sa company and I'm really hoping to get this one para nman just yung compensation ko
  • cvgt2cvgt2 Member PExer
    set a meeting with your immediate supervisor and air you concerns.. but a year in the job may still be too early to be demanding... or that's just me
  • luks7210luks7210 Member PExer
    yep, it's too early to ask for a raise unless you really deserve to have one. as what cvqt2 had said, talk to your immediate supervisors about your concern, ask for some advice on what to do as they know how to approach the situation. good luck. :)
  • lupuSlupuS Mabuhay ang mga... PExer
    The best justification for a raise is a live offer for your services from a competitor. The problem with reasons such as this one...
    i heard they are willing to offer 20k to new people who'd be doing only half of my job, and i've known one who's getting that salary.

...is that they refer to salaries for other people. As much as we would like to consider ourselves equal to or superior to others we know, this kind of argument still requires us to compare ourselves to others. When we do that, we might be found lacking, especially in the hearts and minds of the one deciding on the salary.

A live offer from a competitor is clear and undebatable. Here is a company ready to pay you Pxxx,xxx a month. NOW. If your current employer doesn't want to match that, you can leave.
  • Assassin_MageAssassin_Mage Warmonger PExer
    in my opinion, requesting a salary increase and dangling a live offer from a competitor is something that you can do only once and once only. it can work however it can create tension afterwards.

IMHO, the best option would be to talk to your immediate supervisor and air your concern. a good supervisor worth his lick would know what to do.
  • greenslothgreensloth Member PExer
    i have a question din.

i work alone as a project head and i perform not only marketing functions but also all preparations, logistics, and even the actual development of the project just to make sure that the new brand will be ready within 5 months all from scratch.

it was my tacticto make myself underpaid at first because of a minor drawback i have against possible competition for the position. anyway i got the job now. and though i really love my job i really feel like im underpaid. i mean, the project is even going to utilize my background in programming, layout, and so much more.

so i'm asking, would it be OK if i ask for a raise as early as soon as the project gets launched? if yes, what's the maximum % i could ask? how do i raise the question?
  • KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    it can work however it can create tension afterwards.

The very act of asking for a raise has the potential to create tension, whether or not a live offer is used. When an employee needs to ask for a raise, that could imply that the employer is slow/insensitive/uncaring enough not to keep an eye on how fairly he pays his people. Some employers do not like being reminded of their "faults", especially by their subordinates.

On the other hand, employers can do this intentionally. They actually wait for salary increase requests, on the ground that if a person doesn't know how much he should be making, he shouldn't be making anything at all. ;)
  • ictict Member PExer
    KuyaDanny wrote:
    When an employee needs to ask for a raise, that could imply that the employer is slow/insensitive/uncaring enough not to keep an eye on how fairly he pays his people. Some employers do not like being reminded of their "faults", especially by their subordinates.

On the other hand, employers can do this intentionally. They actually wait for salary increase requests, on the ground that if a person doesn't know how much he should be making, he shouldn't be making anything at all. ;)

I wouldn't say that they are insensitive or uncaring, sometimes I think its the budget which is at question. A lot has been going on and a lot has happened already and I really don't mind going extra mile to help company (which is what I have been doing naman). Kaya lang, hiring new people and giving them more than what I will be getting after my raise is just not fair. I mean, if they are consindering their budget, why hire new people and give them that much? Sometimes I think style lang ng company ang mag-offer ng malaki to attract people, which I dont think is good. Tapos they fail to see their current employees and not give them what they owe.

Let's just say I'm not that good at valuing myself. I find it hard to demand what I deserve. My boss is a pinoy & an american and i'm having hard time balancing their personalities. One is the type who'd appreciate an aggresive, upfront-type of employee, while the other is the traditional-'wag mo kong pangunahan'-type. Everything, including salary rate, would have to go through one and move to the other. So I feel like i'm stuck... do I just wait for my annual evaluation? I sort of know how much I would be getting, but is it fair to ask for more? A couple of thousands more? :)
  • KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    "Tapos they fail to see their current employees and not give them what they owe."

I don't know, man. If you are looking for evidence of people in your organization being slow/insensitive/uncaring, as I said before, this is a pretty good sign right here.

You seem to be privy to budget information and other financial matters at the company. Do you think your company can afford to pay you more? Never mind that they are hiring new people - they might be preparing for new business, too.

Boodel's link is informative and mentions many points discussed by other PExers in this thread. I think you are ready to ask for a raise if:

1) You know how much to ask for;
    2) You can justify it with good reasons; and
    3) You are ready to accept whatever outcome, including rejection.
  • newkidnewkid Member PExer
    Not unless your boss is sensitive, most often than not, they are busy pants and they tend to forget the welfare of their employees. One effective way of getting what you want is by making your boss love you. How? Be a dependable assistant and do not allow you boss who are dependent on you to become fully functional and independent. When your boss becomes too dependent on you, you give yourself power to control your boss....you will now use that power to your advantage by requesting a pay increase.
  • mac_bolan00mac_bolan00 Banned by Admin PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    in my experience, you get regular (hefty) raises for only two reasons: you either bring in business (running to the millions) or you up efficiency (saving the company millions). other than that, the boss will see you as an operating neccessity at best, or a drain at worst. no amount of multi-tasking or conspicuous diligence will change theior mind-set. worse, if you continue that, you're piling up years that didn't really help both you and the company. come age 40, they'll replace you with a sexy twenty-something who's willing to work harder for less pay.

marketing/field people are well-paid for good reason. but they also have short tenures. if you don't produce, you're fired. i'm sure it's like that in your company and you as an office staff are spared of this threat.

so if you want a big slice, you should bring in business. develop your career in that direction. why, i'll bet they won't mind paying you 250,000 a month if you can sell more than 10 million monthly.
    KuyaDanny wrote:

Boodel's link is informative and mentions many points discussed by other PExers in this thread. I think you are ready to ask for a raise if:

1) You know how much to ask for;
    2) You can justify it with good reasons; and
    3) You are ready to accept whatever outcome, including rejection.
    asking for a raise is not an art. it's a science. you don't ask for a raise just because you've been working for 10 years without ever getting one. you don't ask for a raise because inflation's hitting double digits. you don't ask for a raise just because your kid started his schooling at xavier.

you ask for a raise when you've completed a major job ahead of schedule, and at less cost. don't fishtail. don't vacillate. you go to your boss, inform him of what you've done and then say it in his face, "can i have a raise?"

you clinched a big account on top of your target and on top of everyone else. you make a mild show of it and then go to his office and ask for a raise.

you managed to collect millions on an account that's been delinquent for some time now. you go to his office and ask for a raise.

you recommend and implement a change in supplier/contractor/service provider that ups productivity and saves the company 3 million every month. you go to his office and demand a raise.

and do you know why you have to ask for a raise ASAP? because you might commit a firing offense the following day and everything you've done today is all for nothing.

SO GO OUT AND MAKE MONEY!!!
  • nadanada Member PExer
    I've asked a raise--not only for myself in my previous employer--but for all the employees. I've been known to lobby for increases, benefits, etc.

Here's what I'd do. I'd talk to the then EVP and lay down the reasons for the increase like the skyrocketing prices of goods, across-the-board government salary increases (if the government implements increases, the private sector, should follow suit), frustrated employees all wanting to leave (because of the non-increase) and disillusionment.

He'd say "Okay, I'll talk to my partner (the prez) about it".

My batting average was quite good--we got increases every year.

We all knew that the company was earning big (due to our collective effort)--and we would see the bosses all going abroad and all buying properties and top-of-the-line cars.

I don't think you need to do a monumental achievement like "making money" for the company, or landing a multimillion account or deal.

Sometimes, the non-increase is simply the cause of the employer's plain arrogance (assuming that you're okay in your current pay), carelessness, stupidity errr...lack of knowledge (about who's up for a raise) and total lack of concern for the employees.

Ask them straight up without any BS--and hope for the best.

Good luck.
    supposing your company WASN'T doing vey well and you're NOT a rainmaker in the company. how do you think your batting average will look?
  • boinksboinks sige comment... PExer
    ive done this before, this is what happened:

Me: Hi, its been a year and a half since i accepted this job you offered me. Ive done my best and you know how successful my projects are and everything is now running smoothly. I was wondering if theres a possibility for an increase in my pay, as what youve promised me before i accepted the job.

Boss: Sorry, no increase. Dont mention this to..(higher boss) baka ma -terminate ka pa. hehehe

Me: Ok.

and thats my tipping point - and accepted another job offer whose offering a somewhat higher pay.
  • ictict Member PExer
    boinks wrote:
    ive done this before, this is what happened:

Me: Hi, its been a year and a half since i accepted this job you offered me. Ive done my best and you know how successful my projects are and everything is now running smoothly. I was wondering if theres a possibility for an increase in my pay, as what youve promised me before i accepted the job.

Boss: Sorry, no increase. Dont mention this to..(higher boss) baka ma -terminate ka pa. hehehe

Me: Ok.

and thats my tipping point - and accepted another job offer whose offering a somewhat higher pay.

...and that's what i'm afraid of. I've seen situations like this. Not that I'm scared to face the reality that they dont see me that important to the company but the fact that since you know nothing's gonna be the same after that 3-minute discussion with your boss, you'll be forced to leave the company. Sayang kase I've loved the company na. Kakalungkot isipin ko pa lang na aalis ako. Sabi ng friends ko masama sobrang concern sa work mo. Masama ba maging attached sa company? Hay anyway, thanks sa lahat ng advice nyo. It's really helpful. I guess it's still worth putting everything on the line huh?! whatever the outcome is...yun na yun...sooner or later
  • boinksboinks sige comment... PExer
    theres danger in being too attached to a company.

Basically, its Economics.

One Old Man was laid off because the company needed to lay off some employees - meaning business is bad. But the Old man says he's been working for almost 15 years to the company, have devoted himself to it and now thats the thanks he will get?

as for the company, its not personal. its just business.
  • seifadiazseifadiaz lonewolf PExer
    working for almost 15 years to the company, have devoted himself to it and now thats the thanks he will get?
    Karamihan merong ganitong pagiisip. What "thanks"? Pinasweldo naman siguro siya for the past 15 years.
  • Macky_EXMacky_EX Member PExer
    Hay naku..... kaya ako hindi ako pumapasok sa isang trabaho na walang ginagawang research (i.e. magkano ba market value ng position na papasukan ko). Pag nakapasok naman ako, I make sure na trabaho lang ang iintindihin ko at hindi trabaho o sweldo ng iba. Siguro dahil pag pumapasok ako sa isang trabaho, siguradong nakuha ko ang gusto ko kaya wala na akong i-intindihin kung hindi gawin ang trabaho ko :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file