Home PEx Business and Careers The Working Filipino
Speak your mind, but mind what you post. Let's not spread disinformation and/or misinformation.

Baker and McKenzie Company

Hi can you give me some info about this company: Baker and McKinzie. Oks po ba dito? I have an interview kasi for Global Support Help Desk. :confused:

Comments

• KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    Here's some info to get you started:

Baker & McKenzie is a large and prestigious global law firm. The associated office in the Philippines is Quisumbing Torres.

You did not indicate that you are a lawyer, so I assume you are not being considered for an associate position. A few years ago, some enterprising people at Baker thought of outsourcing some legal transcription work. Naturally, the Philippines was an attractive location because of our (supposed) facility with the English language. Normally, outsourcing legal transcription is a risky proposition, because confidential information might leak out to third parties. But Baker let its transcription be handled by its Philippine partner, assuring that all client information remained in the firm's control. This apparently turned out well, as most of Baker's in-house transcription worldwide is now done in the Philippines.

The support business has since expanded to cover billing, accounting, IT, and other parts of Baker's backroom. I would not be surprised if today the Philippine law partners make more money from support services outsourcing (BPO) than from lawyering.
  • bent_33bent_33 PEx Rookie ⭐
    Yes Im not a lawyer. Im an IT graduate. I haven't heard from them again. The position that they're giving me is Global Help Desk Support. Parang Network Admin daw yung dating.
  • I took the recruitment process here before. HR here were good looking and professional. They would treat you for a coffee or something to munch on during the interview process to warm you up! they're much particular in grammar both written and spoken. I was called for the same position and reached the final interview but i wasn't shortlisted. sayang nga e. :(
    Sayang naman. Tips naman dyan tungkol sa interview. Sana tawagan ako. hehehe.
  • usually may technical exam (multiple choice yun). they expect to get a high score on that. may written din to test your English skills.
  • Bent ...pano ka nag apply dito.Pano ako mag send ng resume/application dito.can you send me details naman pre ok lang.Try ko apply.post mo naman dito saan mag send ha.Salamat
  • Bent ...pano ka nag apply dito.Pano ako mag send ng resume/application dito.can you send me details naman pre ok lang.Try ko apply.post mo naman dito saan mag send ha.Salamat

yung sa case ko, i was referred lang po by john clements.
  • On exam/interview it differs naman per position and department you are applying to. Just take note though that during interviews they are very strict in English, in short, wag ka magtatagalog or magtaglish during interview, di naman katulad sa call centers na kelangan mo talaga ng near native accent, as long as you know your grammar pasok ka. Baker & McKenzie or Baker & McKenzie Global Services Manila (as they call it) started here in the Phil I believe in 2000, now they are on their 8th year and still growing, and yes Quisumbing Torres is one of their associate law firms, but note that Baker & McKenzie and Quisumbing Torres are two different companies, Baker & McKenzie Global Services Manila is an outsource office of Baker & McKenzie which services different Baker & McKenzie offices around the world including Quisumbing Torres, while Quisumbing Torres is purely a lawfirm, one of the biggest and respected here in the Phil I may say.

Baker & McKenzie office is at the fort global city occupying 3 floors at netone center building and soon 1 floor at netcube building (or have they occupied it na?). They have a very nice office, friendly employees and superiors, even the guards and utilities are very nice and friendly, generous benefits and allowances (as far as im concerned... ).

Why do i know? I'm a former employee of Baker & McKenzie and I really enjoyed working here, too bad I have to leave to pursue what really my profession tells me to do (career shift). :)

Masaya jan, just give it a try wala naman mawawala. :)

here, read an article of one B&M employee
    http://olibluespy.multiply.com/journal?&page_start=20
  • I've had 4 interviews with them already, and I've been making follow-ups about my application. All they're telling me right now is that the manager of the Global Helpdesk Team is out of the country, its been 2 weeks now and still the manager is out of the country. They, at first, were considering me for 2 positions. Global helpdesk support anfd incident engineer. My last interview was with the team lead of the incident management group, I dont know if the interview was ok. As far as I know it did, because the TL told me that he'll endorse me to his manager. I havent heard from them up to now. Too bad so sad I really wanted that Incident Engineer job. Isn't it rude not to tell your applicant wether they made the cut or not. I prefer to be told if I made it or not, that way applicants won't be expecting for somethig to happen.

BMG's HR people are really nice and accomodating almost everyone is. It would be nice working in that kind of environment.
  • how long does it usually take yung process ng hiring. from the very first time you were called up to the job offer?
  • how long does it usually take yung process ng hiring. from the very first time you were called up to the job offer?

hmmm....same lang din yung nangyari sakin....
  • I've had 4 interviews with them already, and I've been making follow-ups about my application. All they're telling me right now is that the manager of the Global Helpdesk Team is out of the country, its been 2 weeks now and still the manager is out of the country. They, at first, were considering me for 2 positions. Global helpdesk support anfd incident engineer. My last interview was with the team lead of the incident management group, I dont know if the interview was ok. As far as I know it did, because the TL told me that he'll endorse me to his manager. I havent heard from them up to now. Too bad so sad I really wanted that Incident Engineer job. Isn't it rude not to tell your applicant wether they made the cut or not. I prefer to be told if I made it or not, that way applicants won't be expecting for somethig to happen.

BMG's HR people are really nice and accomodating almost everyone is. It would be nice working in that kind of environment.

If they told you that the manager is out of the country, it may be true, as i've said i've been there in that company, as far as im conderned managers are really busy traveling during this season of the year, you see they are closing to the end of their fiscal year, people, especially lawyers, managers, executives and superiors are really busy doing their stuffs, (you know what I mean). If you've gone through 4 interviews, sure they're really considering you, 'coz if they're not, you would have not gone through those interviews afterall, they'll tell you right there and then that you didnt make it through. Just follow-up your application from time to time, sure BMGSM's HR will accomodate you. Good Luck *okay*
    Bent ...pano ka nag apply dito.Pano ako mag send ng resume/application dito.can you send me details naman pre ok lang.Try ko apply.post mo naman dito saan mag send ha.Salamat

it was through my friend na nagwowork sa Taguig. Nagpapahanap kasi ako ng work sa kanya tpos ayun pinass nya yung resume ko dun sa baker&mckenzie. wala pa din yung call ko for the interview.:mecry:
  • Borz wrote: »
    If they told you that the manager is out of the country, it may be true, as i've said i've been there in that company, as far as im conderned managers are really busy traveling during this season of the year, you see they are closing to the end of their fiscal year, people, especially lawyers, managers, executives and superiors are really busy doing their stuffs, (you know what I mean). If you've gone through 4 interviews, sure they're really considering you, 'coz if they're not, you would have not gone through those interviews afterall, they'll tell you right there and then that you didnt make it through. Just follow-up your application from time to time, sure BMGSM's HR will accomodate you. Good Luck *okay*

thanks Borz. i guess youre right, they would not have fooled themselves doing interviewsif they are not considering me for that post. thanks for the assurance, what a way to lift someones spirits up. are you from BMGSM? thansks man *okay*
  • I was a former employee of BMGSM, stayed there for almost 3 years. Sayang nga e, pero kelangan mag-step up for a new career. Wala naman ako naging problem jan, nagresign lang ako kasi hindi ko naman profession yung work ko jan, so I have to find another job where I can put into use my knowledge. Well, I'm happy with my decision, but not that happy parin kasi dami ko namis jan, and to think na yung benefits and allowances na natatanggap ko jan e ga milya ang distansya sa natatangap ko nagyun. hehehe, sobrang pro-employee kasi sila, halos every month meron activity, dami pa allowance. :) down to earth mga tao, from the executives down to the utility. Ako na nga nahiya nung umalis ako, Supervisors and colleages ko pa nagpadespedida sakin. hehehe. Iniisip ko baka balang araw balik ako jan. hehehe. Just follow-up your application from time to time, I'm sure nameet mo na HR nila, follow-up ka lang, mababait naman mga yan e. BTW ano position inaaplyan mo?
  • oatmeal26oatmeal26 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I worked with Baker & Mckenzie as a billing coordinator for 2 weeks lang. Nag-resign ako agad dahil boring ang work. May pagka-clerical. I thought na finance ang work kaya I accepted it. Business ang course ko kaya ang gusto kong work business related. Panay OT pa. They are expecting na mag OT ako ng 6 hours a day. Masungit ba team lead ko. But I find mga taga HR mababait and even my supervisor. madami clang benefits and may mga quarterly bonus pa. kaya lang I don't really like the job. Gusto ko business related.
  • Borz wrote: »
    I was a former employee of BMGSM, stayed there for almost 3 years. Sayang nga e, pero kelangan mag-step up for a new career. Wala naman ako naging problem jan, nagresign lang ako kasi hindi ko naman profession yung work ko jan, so I have to find another job where I can put into use my knowledge. Well, I'm happy with my decision, but not that happy parin kasi dami ko namis jan, and to think na yung benefits and allowances na natatanggap ko jan e ga milya ang distansya sa natatangap ko nagyun. hehehe, sobrang pro-employee kasi sila, halos every month meron activity, dami pa allowance. :) down to earth mga tao, from the executives down to the utility. Ako na nga nahiya nung umalis ako, Supervisors and colleages ko pa nagpadespedida sakin. hehehe. Iniisip ko baka balang araw balik ako jan. hehehe. Just follow-up your application from time to time, I'm sure nameet mo na HR nila, follow-up ka lang, mababait naman mga yan e. BTW ano position inaaplyan mo?

Global Helpdesk Analyst saka Incident Engineer....sana nga e tawagan ako dahil balita ko nga na tlagang maganda dun at you'll really learn a lot.
  • florenofloreno PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    thanks Borz. i guess youre right, they would not have fooled themselves doing interviewsif they are not considering me for that post. thanks for the assurance, what a way to lift someones spirits up. are you from BMGSM? thansks man *okay*

comanche_chief, Make some follow ups on your application. Actually, all IT managers had their 2 week IT managers meeting in Bangkok and Tokyo kaya wala sila in the past week.

Its fun to work here at B&M. *okay*
  • floreno wrote: »
    comanche_chief, Make some follow ups on your application. Actually, all IT managers had their 2 week IT managers meeting in Bangkok and Tokyo kaya wala sila in the past week.

Its fun to work here at B&M. *okay*

I already did a follow up with Nao, and they're holding my application for comparison with the other candidates for Global Helpdesk. That only means that I was not considered for the Incident Engineer post.
  • @comanche_chief => Uy, nag-follow up ka na pala, si Nao, cute yan, hehehe. Okay lang yan, you still have your application as Global Helpdesk Analyst. PM mo si floreno para mailakad nya, (meron pa kaya nung pagkalaki-laking referral bonus?) hehehe. don't know him personnally pero alam ko meron sya post sa kabilang thread about job openings ng B&M, try to visit nalang. tama ba ko floreno? :)