Home PEx Chat Small Talk

Pex: Reality or Illusion?

I've had this account for a long time, but I've been out of Pex probably longer than I've ever been really active at it. Sometimes I ask myself, why do I keep on coming back here? What is it that is here that I could not leave alone. Perhaps it is my desire to reconnect to my home country. To feel, even just for a few minutes, that I am once again back to the place where most of my family and friends are. Perhaps it is my way of reconnecting to those wonderful years when I was still studying there and also to get wind of how old school is doing in the UAAP.

Sometimes I go here for momentary connection to other people. I tend to hang around the forums where people share stories and ask for advice, perhaps because I long to reach out to others and momentarily break out of my solitary state. This brings me to my real question, is Pex a Reality or merely an Illussion? There are countless amount of people seeking help and advice through the forums and it it is nice to observe how many people actually respond, but the more amazing thing to watch is how diverse are the type of replies that people give. Some adds insult to injury, some are totally mindless and ignorant responses, some are downright funny, while some are actually sincere. But how do we really determine sincerity? Does it suffice to say that Pex is a place where momentary sincerity is the norm? Does caring and understanding end with the click of the response button? How many people actually do really check back with the people that helped them or that they tried to help?

I've always believed that we Filipinos are a great bunch, just like any other group of people, we are as diverse as they come. It is in our tradition and norms (supposedly) to care and help others that are in need, but how do you show and sustain that in a setting like we have here within Pex? I guess some, if not most, of us ought to ask ourselves "why do I care? do I really care? or I am just pretending to care?"

No matter what are our individual responses, I guess it is safe to say that "Real or Not, we must be thankful for Pex." *okay*

Comments

• aajaoaajao Moderator PEx Moderator
    touching :shedtears:
  • SoliduS_AlphASoliduS_AlphA PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    astig. :) malaki din pasasalamat ko sa pex kasi madami ako naging kaibigan dahil dito at sa iba pang mga internet forums lalong dumami kakilala, kaibigan etc.
  • Memnoch10 wrote: »
    I've always believed that we Filipinos are a great bunch, just like any other group of people, we are as diverse as they come.

i think filipinos are very socialized to think in groups. our sociological dynamics like barkada, pakikisama, bayanihan, utang ng loob tell me that filipinos arent individualistic...

weve got a kind of herd mentality. pupunta lang sa kanto maghahanap pa ng kasama.

kind of weird. diversity of filipinos is kind of not real to me in that way.
  • purpleheadd07purpleheadd07 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    pex for me is a reality. after all i've met up with a lot of really nice people here. along with other not so nice ones. :)
  • Yeah, I miss the days when I would always ask my friends to go with me even just for a quick grub at the mall. By diverse, I meant Filipinos have varying personalities when we look amongst each other. I have met people that told me that we Filipinos are all like each other, they talk about the same good traits and every once in a blue moon I hear some negative stuffs too. It takes a Filipino to fully understand and truly appreciate a Filipino. We have this persona that other people see us, but we have this understanding of who we really are.

I have no illusion that we are a perfect group of people, because no group really is. Just like everybody else, we have some good ones, some bad ones, some down the middle, and some that are something else entirely :p

No matter how good life seems to be in a foreign land, there really is no place like home. I've been away for far too long and I can barely wait to finally be able to take a trip back, even just for a month or two. Perhaps five more months or at worse another year and a half, but I'll make that trip and it will all be worth it.
  • astig. :) malaki din pasasalamat ko sa pex kasi madami ako naging kaibigan dahil dito at sa iba pang mga internet forums lalong dumami kakilala, kaibigan etc.

mga nagawa sakin ng pex:

1. outlet ko ito. kung walang pex or internet in general, bored ako sa buhay.

2. got friends (somehow) though i dont know them personally.

3. naging aware ako sa paligid esp. sa showbiz, school rivalries esp. the big 4- ateneo, ust, la salle, up. actually big 2 lang- ateneo & up (na kinilala ng buong mundo na magaling na school sa pilipinas)

4. natuto ako ng maraming words ( their meaning & pronounciation) & idioms na di ko alam noon.
  • UU nga tama ka Saw useful talaga ang pex.
    It takes a Filipino to fully understand and truly appreciate a Filipino. We have this persona that other people see us, but we have this understanding of who we really are.

I remember a friend in Wisconsin telling me about a lecture he attended. The speaker, an American, talked about how amazed he was that at the height of the Hello Graci expose, Filipinos thought of using Hello Garci as a ringtune. For any Pinoy though, whether we approve or not, this is not surprising at all.
  • Saw & Perz wrote: »
    mga nagawa sakin ng pex:

1. outlet ko ito. kung walang pex or internet in general, bored ako sa buhay.

2. got friends (somehow) though i dont know them personally.

3. naging aware ako sa paligid esp. sa showbiz, school rivalries esp. the big 4- ateneo, ust, la salle, up. actually big 2 lang- ateneo & up (na kinilala ng buong mundo na magaling na school sa pilipinas)

4. natuto ako ng maraming words ( their meaning & pronounciation) & idioms na di ko alam noon.

Hmmmm.....I am torn here, to defend my school or be honest? I reluctantly have to acknowledge the "big two" notion in terms of being recognized here in the U.S. I remember when I applied to a college four years ago through their online system, I was asked for my former school and to my shock and disappointment there were only two readily recognized schools...yep Ateneo, and U.P. I have yet to check again if they have updated their system already but my new school does recognize DLSU now. It's just such a pain when I need copies of my transcripts sent to another school or organization, I have to ask my sister to process a request through the school and she always have to run around the school to ask for clearance signatures from several departments!!! Oh well, through the good and bad times...ANIMO LA SALLE!
  • i cannot remember how i came to know about pex, i think it was through another forum..but whatever, thanks to that circumstance i discovered this site...:)

Pex is my stress reliever. whenever i am stressed from school work, ill just go here and look for the "funniest text you received today" and "best of youtube.com" threads. minsan nga tears were running down my cheeks from laughing so hard.

Pex is my substitute to TV. I can catch up on TV shows here through updates. i literally followed PBB here on pex...kasi advanced dito and i am not on 24/7,

Pex helped me find my kind of people. from potter adiccts to otakus to Purefoods fans, i am sure to find them here.

this is my home. :)
  • BeerhandBopBeerhandBop PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    its interwebs. so i don't consider it serious. :)
  • i never take the internet seriously
  • illusion. I know i will never met the people i have exchange messages with. And frankly, i sometimes feel snobbed in this forum.
    Hmmmm.....I am torn here, to defend my school or be honest? I reluctantly have to acknowledge the "big two" notion in terms of being recognized here in the U.S. I remember when I applied to a college four years ago through their online system, I was asked for my former school and to my shock and disappointment there were only two readily recognized schools...yep Ateneo, and U.P. I have yet to check again if they have updated their system already but my new school does recognize DLSU now. It's just such a pain when I need copies of my transcripts sent to another school or organization, I have to ask my sister to process a request through the school and she always have to run around the school to ask for clearance signatures from several departments!!! Oh well, through the good and bad times...ANIMO LA SALLE!

nice sharing of experience. :)

THES-QS: only Ateneo & UP are included in the TOP 500 best universities around the world.

Go Ateneo!
  • mildsietemildsiete PEx Rookie ⭐
    pex is part reality and part illusion. why? because most pexers hide behind a pseudonym!

clickme
    untitledbanner-1.jpg
  • lalaki ni hudaslalaki ni hudas PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    whatever the case maybe.. PEX is a blessing.. so it deserves to have flowers from us this valentine :sunflower: :love:
  • ermonskiermonski PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    no PeX, no reason for me to be online... lol!
  • ermonski wrote: »
    no PeX, no reason for me to be online... lol!

huhulaan ko ang fave movie mo for this year even though youre a complete and total stranger....

ALIENS VS PREDATOR 2.

:p:p:p
    Saw & Perz wrote: »
    nice sharing of experience. :)

THES-QS: only Ateneo & UP are included in the TOP 500 best universities around the world.

Go Ateneo!

Go UP...

*okay* *okay* *okay*
    I've had this account for a long time, but I've been out of Pex probably longer than I've ever been really active at it. Sometimes I ask myself, why do I keep on coming back here? What is it that is here that I could not leave alone. Perhaps it is my desire to reconnect to my home country. To feel, even just for a few minutes, that I am once again back to the place where most of my family and friends are. Perhaps it is my way of reconnecting to those wonderful years when I was still studying there and also to get wind of how old school is doing in the UAAP.

Sometimes I go here for momentary connection to other people. I tend to hang around the forums where people share stories and ask for advice, perhaps because I long to reach out to others and momentarily break out of my solitary state. This brings me to my real question, is Pex a Reality or merely an Illussion? There are countless amount of people seeking help and advice through the forums and it it is nice to observe how many people actually respond, but the more amazing thing to watch is how diverse are the type of replies that people give. Some adds insult to injury, some are totally mindless and ignorant responses, some are downright funny, while some are actually sincere. But how do we really determine sincerity? Does it suffice to say that Pex is a place where momentary sincerity is the norm? Does caring and understanding end with the click of the response button? How many people actually do really check back with the people that helped them or that they tried to help?

I've always believed that we Filipinos are a great bunch, just like any other group of people, we are as diverse as they come. It is in our tradition and norms (supposedly) to care and help others that are in need, but how do you show and sustain that in a setting like we have here within Pex? I guess some, if not most, of us ought to ask ourselves "why do I care? do I really care? or I am just pretending to care?"

No matter what are our individual responses, I guess it is safe to say that "Real or Not, we must be thankful for Pex." *okay*

^have you met anyone here?