New School Racket for Tourism/HRM Students

so you think because you're taking up medicine, nursing or engineering that your course is the most the expensive college course? you're dead wrongn.

tourism and hrm students are required to pay for expensive ' learning ' tours ( P 25,000 per semester on top of tuition is a given ) to domestic and foreign destinations such as baguio cebu davao boracay dakak etc hong kong thailand guam etc.

and while the schools and the profs get hefty discounts / commissions for this large group tours year in year out, the students are charged in full, and as students, are also required to work during the tour as guides, cooks, waiters, chambermaids, etc.

i studied in an exclusive school and could say matter of fact that the faculty and students themselves were very particular not to engage in expensive/extravagant school affairs even though most of the students ( their parents ) could afford it.

i was therefore shocked that schools like UST Lyceum and even STI which have tourism/hrm courses require their students to go on these expensive tours as a course requirement. mahiya naman kayong mga school kayo. :bop:

Comments

• ReiiiReiii Member PExer
    Hmm.. i guess pexers who are taking up the program could have a say on this..
  • fattybearyusfattybearyus Registered User PExer
    I don't know why HRM is still popular among hs students.
  • my cousin is taking up BS Tourism major in HRM sa isang province... (hinde ko na lang sasabihin ang name ng school)... she's an upcoming 4th yr this june.. may summer class sya and that requires a tour to Thailand.. which is 42k for the 1st batch via Thai airways (manila-bangkok) and 35k for the 2nd batch via Cebu Pacific (cebu-bangkok)..

my cousin wont be able to graduate next yr if she cant join the tour this summer...isa kasi yun sa requirements eh..

may international tour din ba ang Tourism course sa inyo?

if yes, pls put the amount and the name of the school kun pwede...

i know UST offered Tourism course.. but i didnt know if may international tour sila.. malamang meron.. pero i dont know their destination and the cost of the tour..

thanks.
  • charmaine_joycecharmaine_joyce ♥WoOkIeLlOyD♥ PExer
    Freshmen palang ako ngayon.. Taking Tourism Management in De La Salle University-Dasmari?as.. Inoorient na kami about tours until 4th year namin. Samin, pag 3rd year ka pa lang may internatinal tours na kaagad. But only within asia. Then pag 4th year kana, its your ojt na. Outside asia naman daw...

Kapag 3rd year, siguro estimate na nating nasa 20-30k yun.. not quite sure ah..
  • ReiiiReiii Member PExer
    :eek: wow, i actually find this mudkipz.. grabe naman yung curriculum ng Tourism...
  • Di ba may HRM/tourism quiz bee last week participated by UP, DLSU-dasma, UST, etc.? As far as i know UST won the quiz bee
  • well u cant help it , alangan naman maggrduate ka ng tourism tapos never kapa naka-abroad ng isang beses diba. Basta naman may matututunan ka ok lang gumastos. Pero pag puro bs lang gngawa abroad wag na. Hehe cnsabi lagi ng tatay ko education is the best investment
  • lionheart18lionheart18 Member ✭✭✭
    tingin ko naman, alam na naman ng mga tao na ganun nga ang mangyayari sa kanilakapag nagHRM sila. kaya tingin ko ok lang yon, kung ayaw mong gumastos, wag ka na lang magHRM di ba? Sabi nga ng mga kakilala ko, "huwag kang magHHRM masyadong magastos" kaya risk na lang nila yun kung gusto pa rin nila ng HRM. right?
  • paenggoypaenggoy Member ✭✭✭
    How do they learn tourism or HRM in other Asian countries? Is it cheaper or are there fewer requirements?
    kaya nga, when someone asked a person who is taking the course either hrm/tourism, they always think na mayaman sila yung family nun. Mahal kasi talaga. nakakapulubi na nga eh. Pero feeling ko mas exciting ang pagiging HRM.
  • starczamorastarczamora Sissie DaToic PEx Moderator
    My sister took up HRM and she never had to do those expensive tours. Only her counterparts in Tourism did, pero local destinations lahat.
  • clawed_outclawed_out Banned by Admin PExer
    ^ I know someone that went on that program and never had to travel internationally nor where they have their curriculum includes international travel.

Where it may do some people good, it may not for the people who cannot afford to do some travelling international. It can make you well aware of cultures other than yours but to some it up it should be taken as an elective not a prerequisite. Then again, I need to know more about the program.

charmaine of DLSU-D:How long has it been since DLSU-D have that program? If that is the case then your program should've produced topnotch world class graduates and this can be a great loophole for those people who wants to work overseas after college.

(pero maglingkod muna sa bayan bago magsuot ng wintercoat o grass skirt)
    clawed_out wrote: »
    charmaine of DLSU-D:How long has it been since DLSU-D have that program? If that is the case then your program should've produced topnotch world class graduates and this can be a great loophole for those people who wants to work overseas after college.

Not sure kung kelan, pero yung course na Tourism sa DLSU-dasma nagstart siya mga year 2000 or 2001. Hindi ko lang alam kung sa start pa lang na yun, ganon ang requirements..:confused:

Kakatapos lang ng tour namin, but only within country, sa pagkakaalam ko, serve as project namin yun sa major subjects namin. So, if you cant join the tour, sabi nila, it can affects your grades.:(
  • TresehanTresehan Member PExer
    Threadstarter:
    Did you know that HRM is the New Nursing? Check POEA data...

And as for the international tour, I think it will help a lot in terms of bringing in to the students a bigger picture of what they are about to do in their lives. And besides it's just 25 thousand, although it maybe quite expensive for a normal Pinoy family, i think the price is just reasonable. And besides it is let known upon enrollment during freshmen years, so if a student couldn't afford it then why take up HRM. It's like taking up med too, you won't take med if you know your family can't sustain the financial req, and so with Architecture...
  • clawed_outclawed_out Banned by Admin PExer
    ^ Tourism is good for the region right now to promote Asian (or Thrid World) culture.

The more exotic it gets, the more it attracts visitors.

Philippines badly needs people to promote our dying culture.

Lahat kasi puro malls and restaurants (chain restaurants which doesn't show much to our culture but mirroring the westerns)

Threadstarter: You base your life on "sabi nila" and all the uncertainties. Those are not good things to live by.
  • sponklongsponklong Member PExer
    so you think because you're taking up medicine, nursing or engineering that your course is the most the expensive college course? you're dead wrongn.

tourism and hrm students are required to pay for expensive ' learning ' tours ( P 25,000 per semester on top of tuition is a given ) to domestic and foreign destinations such as baguio cebu davao boracay dakak etc hong kong thailand guam etc.

and while the schools and the profs get hefty discounts / commissions for this large group tours year in year out, the students are charged in full, and as students, are also required to work during the tour as guides, cooks, waiters, chambermaids, etc.

i studied in an exclusive school and could say matter of fact that the faculty and students themselves were very particular not to engage in expensive/extravagant school affairs even though most of the students ( their parents ) could afford it.

i was therefore shocked that schools like UST Lyceum and even STI which have tourism/hrm courses require their students to go on these expensive tours as a course requirement. mahiya naman kayong mga school kayo. :bop:

I agree... but that is only the tip of the iceberg. Lyceum Batangas Dean of HRM Dexter Buted is king of the racket, immorality.

Why? The guy collects money directly for OJT placements. Payments for such activities like familiarization or learning tour, ojt placement fees are paid directly to the guy dexter buted by students. If the student do not have enough resources, they cannot graduate due to incomplete requirements. Poor student. :depressed:

Worst, the school tolerate such activity because the dean is in cahoots with some senior officials.

My friend from batangas do have a voice recording of a student spilling the beans. Confessing about the illicit acitivities of the dean.

Also, this dean of HRM do have a catering business. He uses his students as waiters during catering services rendered in different functions not related in school. And good looking male students are also being used for his/her full satisfaction of the libido.

All students are afraid of this dishonesty man.

Geez... no wonder quality of education in such schools are way below par. The school itself thru its dean promotes dishonesty at on the highest level.
  • batang_askalbatang_askal Member PExer
    Lyceum of Batangas? Yan din sabi ng pinsan ko na nagbigay ng P25,000 sa Dean nila ng walang resibo. Sabi educational trip tapos ginawa lang silang waiter dun sa catering business niya!

Sana po makialam na ang CHED dito!:grrr:
    Ganun din ang sabi ng pinsan ko.
  • chillin_herechillin_here I create my chances PExer
    I just graduated BS Tourism from UST. In fairness naman s kanila, we're not required to join those expensive tours. But of course, gusto mo maexperience man lang db? and may matututunan ka dn naman sa tours. I didn't join the international tour because it was waaaay too expensive for me. But it's ok, I joined the domestic tours naman. hehe. ang required lang hotel tour and tour guiding which is overnight lang.. mura lng naman and reasonable kung bakit required. ung domestic tour sa bohol hindi din required.. ung students dn pla ang namimili kung san sila pupunta.. as a batch, of course hehe..

Nainggit p naman ako sa Lyceum and STI kc pinagmamalaki nila na nagOOJT sila outside the country. UST kc doesn't allow their students to do that because of safety issues. and hindi daw maiiwasan na isipin na pinagkakaperahan nila ang mga students. which is exactly the case with Lyceum tama b? hehe..

Happy naman ako na Tourism ang kinuha ko.. nung undergrad ako, I was afraid na mag-end up lang ako sa callcenter.. But you know.. kelangan lang tlga patient ka sa paghahanap ng opportunities.. and dapat gusto mo tlga ung kinuha mo na course.. and dapat alam mo na may future ka sa course na yon! hehe.. hindi lang dahil sabi ng parents mo at dahil uso.. :D
    But comparing UST with Lyceum of Batangas susme!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file