Home PEx Campus The Academe

Ateneo Law Entrance Exam tips

Guys, i really want to study at the als. I'm about to take the exam on feb 16 2008... guys i need your tips... salamat



by the way, what do you think about the DLSU-FEU JD-Mba program?
«1

Comments

  • KirkegaardKirkegaard PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Hi. I took the ALS exam just last week (Jan. 19, actually). There were three parts, 160 items if my memory serves me right. My general impression is that it was such an unfair exam, and for me, it was generally tougher than the LAE (which I passed, modesty aside).

    First part was just an IQ test of 80 items to be answered in 40 minutes, an assortment of Math, Vocabulary, and Abstract Reasoning. Easy, don't worry about it. Just answer the questions as fast as you can.

    Second part comprised critical thinking questions, 60 items in all, subdivided into 3 or 4 sub-categories, to be answered in 40 minutes (or was it 60?). This section floored me (for purposes of comparison, I found LAE's critical thinking part average to mildly difficult)! The directions for each were a whole page long! Nobody whom I know finished the damn section, we just resorted to shotgun. Hardly enough time even to just read! Questions range from the mildly difficult to very. Really tough time pressure, I warn you; more than the time pressure in LAE's Math Section, as far as I'm concerned.

    Third part was generally about Comprehension - data and reading. Forty items to be answered in 40 minutes. Data Analysis was tricky but still manageable, you'd have to interpret data from a graph. Good eyesight would help here. Reading comprehension was just okay, but you had better be able to read fast, without of course missing on the important details of the selection. Selections, I recall, were a page long.

    So that's it.

    Good luck! Sana pumasa tayong pareho! He he :D
  • KirkegaardKirkegaard PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I'm backtracking on something I have said: save for Part 2 of the ALS exam, the LAE is, hands down, tougher.
  • hehe salamat damn kinakabhan na talaga ako. Mag take ka pa San beda?
  • KirkegaardKirkegaard PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    So here's the rub, srkv. My financiers (read: parents) are not too keen on letting me take the San Beda law entrance exam since they're confident I'd be sailing through the ALS exam and should I not perform well in my interview in UP, Ateneo's already in the bag. But personally, I'd still like to take the San Beda exam. You can never be too complacent.

    I cannot warn you enough on how serious time pressure is especially for Part 2 of the ALS exam. Brush up on your critical thinking. Know if an assumption was made or not, if an argument is strong or weak, and so on.

    Btw, may I just ask what your undergrad is/was and from what school you are taking/you took it? Kaya yan! :)
  • AleanceloAleancelo guapo PEx Expert 🎖️
    Actually, ang admission process ay sisiw lang kung ikukumpara sa buhay law student. Iyon ang talagang mangangatog ang tuhod ninyo, lalo na tuwing recitation. Pagdating naman ng Bar, katakot-takot na puyatan, lalo na habang hinihintay ang results.
  • im also taking the als this february. Does als have an interview part? By a tremendous stroke of luck, i passed lae without the need for an interview but als is my first choice...
  • ^uh....di ba lahat ng pumasa ng LAE ngayon required mag-interview?
  • ^ That's what I heard, too.

    And I don't know how things go at ALS this year but last year, there were around 100 who didn't have to be interviewed and another 100 who had to go through the interview process. :)
  • Kirkegaard wrote: »
    So here's the rub, srkv. My financiers (read: parents) are not too keen on letting me take the San Beda law entrance exam since they're confident I'd be sailing through the ALS exam and should I not perform well in my interview in UP, Ateneo's already in the bag. But personally, I'd still like to take the San Beda exam. You can never be too complacent.

    I cannot warn you enough on how serious time pressure is especially for Part 2 of the ALS exam. Brush up on your critical thinking. Know if an assumption was made or not, if an argument is strong or weak, and so on.

    Btw, may I just ask what your undergrad is/was and from what school you are taking/you took it? Kaya yan! :)

    I am from San Beda - Legal Management. First choice ko Ateneo, i didnt took the lae hehe According to my professors, who are all from San Beda Law, sure na daw kami sa SBC, problema lang daw ung retention. pero gusto ko talga admu

    so what's your undergrad? and school?
  • KirkegaardKirkegaard PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    im also taking the als this february. Does als have an interview part? By a tremendous stroke of luck, i passed lae without the need for an interview but als is my first choice...

    Your luck just ran out; so do your research next time, dear. You're not fooling anybody, everyone's for interview this year.


    ^^Huh? 100 lang? Asa naman ako na aabot ako sa top 100 since I really effed up Parts 2 and 3. :lol:

    Owell.
  • KirkegaardKirkegaard PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    srkv wrote: »
    I am from San Beda - Legal Management. First choice ko Ateneo, i didnt took (sic) the lae hehe According to my professors, who are all from San Beda Law, sure na daw kami sa SBC, problema lang daw ung retention. pero gusto ko talga admu

    so what's your undergrad? and school?

    I major in Political Science in UPM.

    Anyway, I'd rather be prudent, so I'll be taking San Beda's entrance exam also. I'm just waiting for my requirements, I'd want to take the exam on Feb 23 (or 26?).

    Should I not hurdle UP's interview, I won't mind going to Ateneo or San Beda - KUNG pumasa hehe. Lahat naman yan magagaling. Buti pa kayo, assured na ng law school, if ever.

    However, my salient concern about San Beda, just like you, is retention. SBC Law's mortality rate, at least in the past few years, is hovering around 80% compared to Ateneo's 50-60% (NB: just my estimates).
  • neinsagerneinsager PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    im also taking the als this february. Does als have an interview part? By a tremendous stroke of luck, i passed lae without the need for an interview but als is my first choice...

    kayo naman, nag-react kaagad. malay nyo naman, ibig nya palang sabihin pumasa sya last year o nung mga nakaraang taon na walang interview pero hindi kaagad sya nag-law school dahil sa kung anong dahilan.

    =====

    sa mga mage-exam sa ateneo law, madali lang yung exam (kung ikukumpara sa lae) pero marami rin kasing naga-apply kaya may mga tao ring hindi matatanggap. pwede namang magpa-reconsider pero meron talagang hindi na talaga tinatanggap. tsaka YES, for some people, may interview part sya. pero kagaya sa UP noong nakaraang taon, meron din silang ine-exempt. good luck!
  • Kirkegaard wrote: »
    I major in Political Science in UPM.

    Anyway, I'd rather be prudent, so I'll be taking San Beda's entrance exam also. I'm just waiting for my requirements, I'd want to take the exam on Feb 23 (or 26?).

    Should I not hurdle UP's interview, I won't mind going to Ateneo or San Beda - KUNG pumasa hehe. Lahat naman yan magagaling. Buti pa kayo, assured na ng law school, if ever.

    However, my salient concern about San Beda, just like you, is retention. SBC Law's mortality rate, at least in the past few years, is hovering around 80% compared to Ateneo's 50-60% (NB: just my estimates).



    yup the damn retention rate at SBC. by the way, the exams for SBC-Law is on March Feb 23, march 8 etc I cant take the Feb 23 exams finals namin eh. Good luck sa exams! kita kits hehe
  • neinsager wrote: »
    kayo naman, nag-react kaagad. malay nyo naman, ibig nya palang sabihin pumasa sya last year o nung mga nakaraang taon na walang interview pero hindi kaagad sya nag-law school dahil sa kung anong dahilan.

    =====

    sa mga mage-exam sa ateneo law, madali lang yung exam (kung ikukumpara sa lae) pero marami rin kasing naga-apply kaya may mga tao ring hindi matatanggap. pwede namang magpa-reconsider pero meron talagang hindi na talaga tinatanggap. tsaka YES, for some people, may interview part sya. pero kagaya sa UP noong nakaraang taon, meron din silang ine-exempt. good luck!


    Pwede mag pa reconsider? how? and may na rereconsider ba?
    SBC Law exam dates, Feb 8, Feb 23, March 8, march 16 etc
  • neinsagerneinsager PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ^ pwede. i had 2 friends who didn't make the original passers list (not even the list of those who were up for interview). they applied for reconsideration. i'm not too familiar with the procedure but i'm pretty sure they sent letters. and there was an interview part. one got in. the other wasn't so lucky.

    usually mage-entertain sila ng reconsideration mga summer. pag lumabas na kasi yung results ng lae interview, yung ibang nakapag-enrol na sa ateneo, nagwi-withdraw pag nalaman nilang nakapasa sila sa UP (marami akong blockmates na ganito ang ginawa). depende kung gaano karami ang magwi-withdraw, tatanggap sila ng mga nagpa-reconsider.
  • KirkegaardKirkegaard PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ^Ditto. How's the reconsideration process?

    By the way, one of my classmates took the SBC Law exam a while ago. Preliminary reaction conveyed to us was that the exam was not that tough but you'll be pressed for time. But I'm taking it with a grain of salt this time. Last time I believed her hook, line, and sinker, I got floored by the ALS exam (well, she didn't warn us enough).

    'Til when is the application for the Feb 23 sched? Next week pa lang kami magpapasa (kung mapa-process ng college ko yung requirements - usually palpak... enough said).
  • ^ Yes. I think you just write them a letter or something. And yes, I know a bunch of people who got reconsidered.

    ...but then, as has been said before, getting in is the easy part. :D
  • Just took the exam, your right the first part was easy and the second part was hard. The second part was hell hehehe grabe! The third part for me was not that easy but not that hard especially if you’re a legal management student since ten items was based on law on sales, quasi delict, criminal law and lease. The reading comprehension was fair the only problem is the time pressure. All in all I think I can pass and I can fail the exam hehehe kuha pa ko San Beda!
  • KirkegaardKirkegaard PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    What surprised me was the fact that there were but a few questions on Grammar/Language Proficiency. The ALS exam focused more, as I see it, on logical/critical thinking - subject I think I'm so-so. ~_~

    And now, the long wait. I'm not very confident since I did not have any preparation for the ALS exam, but I'd give myself fair chances of making it. Susme, 'wag namang for interview sana. Puro interview nalang. Pero I'd take it na rin, buti na yun kaysa naman bumagsak altogether. :))

    In any case, mag-eexam din ako sa San Beda, hinihintay ko lang mga kaklase ko. hehe

    Goodluck sa'tin!
  • Goodluck talaga! Did you answer any "partly true" from the choices in the arguments section
Sign In or Register to comment.