Home PEx Campus Mapua Institute of Technology

MAPUAN... for PRESIDENT of the Philippines? Bayani Fernando Bares Plan

The talks about the 2010 Presidential Election in the Philippines is as hot as the 2008 Presidential derby in the United States.

And with so many candidates being considered by the Administration, MMDA Chairman Bayani Fernando is one of them, and has recently showed interest in running for the top position in the land. This one's what I read in today's issue of the Inquirer -- a relevant article on his plan of running for President come 2010:

[HIGHLIGHT]Bayani Fernando on presidential race: I’m ready [/HIGHLIGHT]

MANILA, Philippines – Tantalized by the possibility of an electoral showdown with one of his fiercest critics, Bayani Fernando said yesterday he would stand taller than Makati Mayor Jejomar Binay come 2010.

“I can stand taller than Mayor Binay. You have to stand tall if you want to be president,” the chair of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority said in what seemed to be a dig at the opposition leader.

Fernando clarified moments later that he did not mean his words, literally. “I am talking figuratively,” he said.

“I’m going to be the next president,” he told reporters yesterday, adding he was actively wooing his Lakas party mates to support his bid to become the administration standard bearer.

Unlike Binay, who has expressed interest in running for president but has avoided making any announcements, Fernando is not shy about making his ambitions known.

Frequent run-ins

Fernando has had frequent run-ins with Binay, who also once served as MMDA chair under former President Joseph Estrada, in managing traffic and other matters in the financial capital.

For instance, the City of Makati does not recognize some of the MMDA’s traffic policies, such as the lifting of the unified vehicular volume reduction program on certain days or under certain weather conditions.

This has prompted some observers to describe Binay’s city as the “Republic of Makati.”

At the press conference yesterday, Fernando listed his advantages over Binay, president of the United Opposition, and other prospective presidential candidates.

“In terms of political will and governance, I have exhibited my capability,” he said. “I think my background is best suited for the post. My qualifications are better than anyone.”

Binay’s camp said it was reserving comment for the meantime. “It’s his moment now, so let us not take that away from him,” said Joey Salgado, Makati’s public affairs chief.

LINK: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/metro/view/20080122-113912/Bayani-Fernando-on-presidential-race-Im-ready

Of course, being a MAPUAN, what's your take on him on the prospect of having a MAPUAN possibly seating in Malacanang 2 years from now?

Comments

• Profile:

Chairman Bayani F. Fernando was born on July 25, 1946 in San Juan, Metro Manila. He is married to the present Mayor of Marikina City, the Honorable Maria Lourdes C. Fernando. He is a licensed Mechanical Engineer who has acquired his managerial skills from the company he has established – the BF Group of Companies, a steel fabrication, general construction and manufacturing business. His success in private business coupled with his aspiration to help people, motivated him to pursue a career in government.

Chairman Fernando ran for public office and became mayor of Marikina City in 1992. Because of the significant transformation of Marikina City from a “***** capital” into one of the country’s model cities, he was re-elected as Mayor for two consecutive terms.

The Chairman was conferred with 55 major regional and national awards during his incumbency as Mayor of Marikina City. Among the major awards are: The Outstanding Filipino (TOFIL) Awardee for Government Service in 1998, conferred by the Phil. Jaycee Senate and Insular Life Assurance Company; the Philippine Quality Award in 1999, Silver Award / Proficiency Level for Organizational Excellence, given by DAP / DTI; and the Galing Pook Hall of Fame Award for his various programs in Marikina City.

LINK: http://www.mmda.gov.ph/chairman.htm
  • xybert_22xybert_22 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ill vote for him. hehehe.

Sa lahat ng tatakbong president sya lang sa tingin ko yung my nagawang magaling sa ating bansa.
  • I think he must run for a senator muna. That is a big jump right there.
  • coheed18coheed18 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    i think he can be a good president but the problem is he don't have people's sympathy and support. I think theres no chance for him to win as president so he rather run for other position as renwock said.
  • Sen. Gordon and Vice President Noli will be his fiercest rivals in the ranks of the Administration if he plans to take the road to Malacanang and considering that he's a staunch ally of President Arroyo, who is undoubtly the least popular figure nowadays in Philippine politics.

... It will be quite difficult for him to catapult himself to equally challenge the likes of Sen. Legarda, Sen. Villar and Sen. Roxas.

He really needs more media exposure, of course on a positive sense. I noticed he's not getting good comments from journalists with regard to how he solves the everyday road problems in Metro Manila... and it's not helpful as far as his political career is concerned.

He has to gauge first his popularity. Philippines is not Marikina City where he get a measly popular vote. Everybody has to know him first... in a positive note, of course. And running for the Senate could be a good tool to measure it. I agree with renwock's suggestion.

But running for Vice President is a good option as well. :)
  • And he had been to a lot of projects in which the unprivileged ones were the one who suffered most such as massive demolition and the like. Do you guys think that he'd gather votes especially for presidential candidacy? i really don't think so. As what i have said, that would be a big leap, from being a Chairman of MMDA to Presidential position? Engr. Fernando must consider a lot of aspects that might hinder him from winning.
  • ^ That's the problem of Vice President Noli de Castro as well, being in charge of the housing and rehabilitation programs of the government.
    I can still remember a particular news item where people living in their home along da riles, cursed him and vowed that they're not gonna vote for him, if in case he'll run in 2010, after their shanties were demolished, in preparation of the reconstruction of the NorthRail.

The problem with these people is that they could not correctly interpret what 'progress' really is all about. They define it in a short term basis and unfortunately our politicians are deliberately giving consent to it, even though they know perfectly well that providing "short-term satisfaction" for these poor folks are not the absolute solution in fighting poverty.

MMDA Chairman Fernando doesn't see it that way though. And that is absolutely the reason why he's doing this "cleaning-up" of the urban eye sores -- to completely and permanently eradicate poverty, filthy environment, and crimes.

Mr Chairman is a politician that does not approve propagation of dirty living, unlike the "trapos" who, surprisingly, take care of these squatters by just letting them live untidy in their shanties.

Chairman Fernando sees them as "human beings"; trapos see them as "voters".

The just can't comprehend.
  • When i was in high school, i hated him big time. Until i entered Mapua Institute of Technology - Intra, after knowing that he is an alumnus of the school, i instantly idolized him. :bop: i'm being biased right here.

People hate him for being the chairman of bwisit-as-ever Metro Manila Development Authority. I despise whatever he did to Edsa. And i don't see putting urinal ports everywhere as a good way of indoctrinating people.

but again, him as an alumnus of Mapua, i'm trying to decipher every aspects, looking at different angles of his propaganda on why he's doing such thing. - it's his unique way.

He can be a GREAT president.

Problem is, how to convince the voters.
  • ^ I must admit... the public urinals are disgusting. :yuck:

Well, let's see how he'll get to 'clean' his image on these affected masa as well as the media this year. If he can't, the road for the Presidency would definitely be rough.

I heard he's courting former President Ramos' support.

Another problem... LAKAS and KAMPI's possible merger. He'd get to compete with more people -- choices getting wider, probability of him getting chosen gets smaller.
  • IMO, mahina laban ni Bayani dahil galit ang masa sa kanya (street vendors, etc...)

pero sa kanya padin ang boto ko!

Pro-Bayani to. :D
  • :lol:

I beg to disagree, medyo hindi dahilan ang pagiging Mapuan nya para makuha nya boto ko..
  • Basta Inhinyero Mekanikal si BF idol yan. Ang plano ng Inhinyero hindi lang basta pinaplano ng maganda, ginagawa pa ng maayos yan. Hindi ko alam na naging Mayor sya ng Marikina ng matagal pero sa ganda ng Marikina alam ko magiging maganda din ang Pilipinas. Gusto ko magkaroon ng Inhinyero na Politician, para maiba naman, parepareho kasi ng mga napagaralan ang mga politicians eh.

Siguro ginamitan ni BF ng Statistics ang plano nyang pagtakbo sa 2010.hehe Kaso wala pa yata subj na stat nung kapanahunan nya.
  • feeling ko lang hindi sya mananalo, sayang sya. yung mga kagaya nya ang kailangan ng bayan natin.

yung friend ko nagwowork sa mmda (sanitary engineer sya). kinukwento nya na talagang mahigpit si bf. one time merong kumag na employee, mataas ang posisyon sa mmda, parang nangurakot ata or something. pinatalsik nya. yung employee naman, merong tito na congressman (di ko lang maalala). tapos todo pakiusap daw itong si congressman na ibalik yung pamangkin nya. ayaw daw talaga ni bf. astig!

mejo madaming kaaway lang talaga si bf, lalo na yung mga nasasagasaan nya. pero para kanya, talagang trabaho lang. tignan mo naman ang marikina, sobrang linis at halos walang trapik.

boboto ko pa din sya.
  • tophe_17 wrote: »
    ^ I must admit... the public urinals are disgusting. :yuck:

Tama. Dapat kasi may water supply para maalis iyong panghe ng public urinals.

Pero alam ninyo ba na sa atin lang walang gaanong epekto iyong public urinals? Pero sa mga taxi drivers, malaki raw ang tulong sa kanila nito. Ilang taxi drivers na kasi ang naka-usap ko eh at sabi nila mabuti na lang daw may public urinals. Kasi buhat daw na nagkaroon nito, iyong mga GULONG DAW NILA, HINDI NA PUMANGHE HEHEHE. JOKE LANG.

Kidding aside, malaki raw tulong sa kanilang mga namamasada iyong public urinals. Pero sa opinyon ko, sana naman, makipag-joint project ang MMDA sa Maynilad o Manila Waters para may dumadaloy na tubig sa ihiang ito.

Sige. Salamat.
  • i think if he will run as a vice president, surely he will stand a great but a president? maybe but the chance is small because there are big people who wants the presidency. manny villar, panfilo lacson, richard gordon or even noli de castro are some of the politicians who ambitioned to be in the president's master bedroom someday. or i think mr. eddie villanueva will re-run this next term.
  • I'm a MO-MOJO-GRACE LEE listener (Magic 89.9) :D ... and they had Fernando as their guest. Bayani answered them well.. straight to the point, no trapo lines heard.

And guess what... Mo Twister is now endorsing him for the Presidency. They liked him. :)
  • i think if he will run as a vice president, surely he will stand a great but a president? maybe but the chance is small because there are big people who wants the presidency. manny villar, panfilo lacson, richard gordon or even noli de castro are some of the politicians who ambitioned to be in the president's master bedroom someday. or i think mr. eddie villanueva will re-run this next term.

Oh my... spare us, Bro. Eddie. 2004 is enough. :grrr:

Let's not discount Bayani as one of the "big people". He may be unpopular for the masses, but he's still as big as other politicians in the national scene... just like the most unpopular of all -- Gloria Arroyo.

I agree with you on the note that the Veep position would be an easier target for Bayani... a sure spot for him, if you'd ask me. He needs to make himself more known and "good looking" for one of the key voting blocks -- the masa. Unless he "reconstruct" his image into somebody who's "masa-friendly", chances of him replacing Gloria is simply... vague. :)
  • papabirth wrote: »
    Kasi buhat daw na nagkaroon nito, iyong mga GULONG DAW NILA, HINDI NA PUMANGHE HEHEHE. JOKE LANG.

Now this made me laugh. :rotflmao:

Jokes daw are "half meant". So there must be a slight touch of truth on that statement. :lol:
    papabirth wrote: »
    Tama. Dapat kasi may water supply para maalis iyong panghe ng public urinals.

Kidding aside, malaki raw tulong sa kanilang mga namamasada iyong public urinals. Pero sa opinyon ko, sana naman, makipag-joint project ang MMDA sa Maynilad o Manila Waters para may dumadaloy na tubig sa ihiang ito.

Sige. Salamat.

In a way, it "segregated" the stinky scent. You would smell it almost everywhere... now it's only focused on a sure spot -- the pink urinals. :D

Yup. Yun lang ang kulang. It has to be cleanly maintained. Nasilip ko minsan yung tube where the user will pee. Parang hindi rin kaaya-ayang mag-wi-wee kasi ang dumi -- parang kinakalawang yung tube, tapos nilalangaw. :yuck: Prang anytime, may lalabas na malaking daga dun sa tube. :rotflmao:

Siguro konting paglilinis lang ang kailangan para hindi pangit tignan yung urinals. :)

Good luck to Bayani. *okay*
  • sa lahat ng naging mmda chairman, c bayani lng yung may visible output. (u-turn,foot bridge,fences)
    and these are all long term solutions, he may not get the sympathy of others but atleast, he's doing something about it, and he's trying his best.
    pero syempre yung ibang politician, walang nkikitang maganda,puro yung pagkakamali ang tinitignan, paninira at pansariling kapakanan lng iniisip. kaya nga we have one of the worst politicians in the world.(dba sikat?)

hindi siya mananalo, bakit? sikat ba siya? artista ba siya? pogi ba cya?

yun kasi usually ang basis ng voters(masa) sa tin..
    trend na ng mga pinoy yan tuwing election..
    kaya i would rather sleep all day long than waste my time voting on election day. di naman gwapo ang bet ko..sayang lang oras ko..

no wonder tatakbo din si pacquiao or even dolphy.. at cympre erap at susan roces!!! sus, papahuli ba naman sila.
    kaawa awang pilipinas!!!
  • killernoodlekillernoodle PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    i think mahina si chairman dahil mmda pang dito lang sa metro and near provinces lang, oks siya kasi kitang kita naman iyong mga nagawa niya, kaso i think lalo pa siyang hihina sa ginawa niyang mga mukha niyang nagkalat sa lansangan, obvious naman di ba early campaigning, ang tanong diyan, saan galing ung ginastos sa mga posters/stickers na iyon, although alam ko naman mayaman siya dahil sa bf constructions, pero diba ang panget tingnan nakakaturn-off, dapat lower position muna (e.g. senator or better yet a VP) para he'll have a chance