COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

PBA Imports Who Were NBA 1st Rounders

Comments

• roadwarriorroadwarrior Member PExer
    thanks...good list actually
  • talunan08talunan08 Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Is Cedric Ceballos the most high profile import we had? I mean in terms of success in the NBA.

I forgot the name of the purefoods import who was an excellent scorer. Someone who was a mainstay in rucker park and was supposedly the high school phenom before Lebron. Unfortunately I think he was injured and never played here again.
  • sean_taylorsean_taylor Member PExer
    Sean Taylor,
    Dana Lewis of Great Taste Coffee (1977) though may be heralded as the first NBA first rounder to ever play in the PBA. The 6'8 Lewis played alongside the very prolific Ni?o Samuel in the 1977 Open Conference. Alas, the two couldn't hold a candle against their import combo counterparts - in particular, Toyota's 6'8 Bruce King and 6'9 John Irving, Crispa's 6'10 Cyrus Mann and 6'6 Ricky Hicks, Tanduay's 6'10 Gene Moore and 6'8 Bernie Harris, and U/Tex's 6'8 Snake Jones and 6'2 Charlie Neal.

In 1977, Tanduay paraded the all-white duo of Tim Hirten and Bill Bozeat.

Kamusta, pareng Jay. You might know me from my other name gary_hole in another forum. I use sean taylor here in memory of my favorite player who was gunned down a few months ago.
  • AnthonyServinioAnthonyServinio Member In Focus PEx Icon 🎖️🎖️🎖️
    talunan08 wrote: »
    Is Cedric Ceballos the most high profile import we had? I mean in terms of success in the NBA.
    PERHAPS in terms of individual success yes since he was a one-time NBA Slam Dunk champion. Of course, the PBA has had its share of imports with NBA World Championship rings.
    talunan08 wrote: »
    I forgot the name of the purefoods import who was an excellent scorer. Someone who was a mainstay in rucker park and was supposedly the high school phenom before Lebron. Unfortunately I think he was injured and never played here again.
    Lenny Cooke
    My best recollection was he did. I'm not sure what year, it may have been the same year when Ronnie Grandison (who played for Swift in 1995), Marques Bragg (1996 Swift import) or Norris Coleman (1997 import) played - meaning he got axed or replaced.

Or he may have played in the 1992 season. I believe Bernard Thompson replaced him early in the Open Conference. What I do recall though is that he only played a few games for the Concepcion franchise, which makes recollection more difficult.

FORMER Washington Bullet Ledell Eackles never played an official PBA game. He planed in super fat and out of shape, never recovered on time and was promptly sent back home.

This happened more likely in 1992 when he was cut from the Bullets. Believe it or not, he staged a comeback and made it to the NBA again in 1994-1995 with the Miami Heat followed by two more non-consecutive seasons with Washington in 1995-1996 and 1997-1998.
  • the_BuGsthe_BuGs d ko hilig PExer
    cedric ceballos 2nd round pick
  • carshowcarshow The Generator PExer
    Cedric Ceballos was also an All-Star during his Laker days (when they s*cked :glee: ) but he didnt play in the All Star Game because of an injury :D
  • Jay P. MercadoJay P. Mercado Moderator PEx Moderator
    I believe the most high-profiled import to ever play in the PBA when it comes to NBA accomplishments was Kevin Porter himself. Not only did he possess a championship ring while playing lead point for the 1979 champs Washington Bullets, he was also once the record holder in the NBA for most number of assists. He registered 29 feeds in one game only to be overtaken by ex-Chicago Bulls mentor Scott Skiles in 1990, or more than a decade after.

Lewis Lloyd was likewise a high-profile import as well as Mitchell Wiggins. But both became more "notorious" because they were busted by the NBA for cocaine abuse, meriting for themselves two-year suspensions. Lloyd suited up for RFM Swift twice, once in 1990 and the next one in 1992 while Wiggins became a prolific import for Tondena Rhum in 1994.

Billy Ray Bates was another high-profiled import that made waves in the NBA. In one game in 1979, Bates scored 17 points in a two and a half minute spree that at one time led the NBA in most number of points produced by a player for a certain span of time. He did this while being called "Dunk" and playing for the Portland Trailblazers in the 1979 season under cerebral coach and now ESPN columnist Jack Ramsay...
  • sean_taylorsean_taylor Member PExer
    Kevin Porter was not part of the 1978 NBA champion Washington Bullets team, nor was he part of the 1979 runner-up team. He was picked up after the 79 season, hence, he was part of the team when they played in Manila.
  • Jay P. MercadoJay P. Mercado Moderator PEx Moderator
    My bad. I mixed up my dates. It was the Seattle Supersonics that won the 1979 NBA title at the expense of the Bullets. The Bullets won in 1978. And that KP wasn't part of that championship team pala since the NBA seasons ends on June while the Bullets visited the Philippines in October!

Thanks Sean!
  • mac04mac04 MACtivation.. PExer
    How about Darvin ham? I think he played for Tnt?
  • dchplanardchplanar Member PExer
    Kevin Gamble who played and won a title for Ginebra in one conference went on to be a good role player for the Celtics with an aging Larry Bird :)
  • galaxy_ramgalaxy_ram BANO S6 & S5 Champion PExer
    mac04 wrote: »
    How about Darvin ham? I think he played for Tnt?

ham was never drafted in the nba.
  • rhk111rhk111 Son of Boltok The Rapist PExer
    Billy Ray Bates was another high-profiled import that made waves in the NBA. In one game in 1979, Bates scored 17 points in a two and a half minute spree that at one time led the NBA in most number of points produced by a player for a certain span of time. He did this while being called "Dunk" and playing for the Portland Trailblazers in the 1979 season under cerebral coach and now ESPN columnist Jack Ramsay...

I still have a copy of DAVID HALBERSTAM'S book, "THE BREAKS OF THE GAME", which, among other things, followed the career of BILLY RAY BATES.

The book dedicated about a dozen or so pages on BRB, which showed that he was quite a "name" player in the states, all the way from High School, to the NBA

"The Breaks Of The Game" is a bit dated, it was written during the days of Bill Walton, Kermit Washington & Rudy Tomjanovich (back when he was still a player), but highly recommended, must-read for all basketball fans out there.
  • rhk111rhk111 Son of Boltok The Rapist PExer
    Double post.
  • bigger_daddybigger_daddy Member PExer
    i think darvin ham is only famous for 'shattering the backboard' during his stint at texas!?!?! he's in the d-league right now.

apart from ceballos, the most notable imports i think are willie burton (ginebra i think) who once scored 50 points in an nba game and ansu sesay (imagine nasa free agent list cya sa nba live 06) :)
  • bigger_daddybigger_daddy Member PExer
    speaking of rucker park, on a street ball level, i think the most famous are lenny cooke (as one pointed out earlier, THE PHENOM before LeBron) and of course, Ronnie Fields.

Rumor has it that Vince C. backed off in a slam dunk competition when he learned that his opponent would be Ronnie Fields.
    speaking of rucker park, on a street ball level, i think the most famous are lenny cooke (as one pointed out earlier, THE PHENOM before LeBron) and of course, Ronnie Fields.

Rumor has it that Vince C. backed off in a slam dunk competition when he learned that his opponent would be Ronnie Fields.
    IF I remember correctly, Ronnie Fields was a high school classmate of Kevin Garnett at Farragut. Fields never really got to realize his full potential because of two things -- he got involved in a vehicular accident and later poor grades in school.
  • rationalrational Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Si Keith Smart wa high profile when he came in, right? What round was he drafted?
  • BomberboyBomberboy Banned by Admin PExer
    rational wrote: »
    Si Keith Smart wa high profile when he came in, right? What round was he drafted?

parekoy, 2nd rounder ata siya by golden state warriors. naging high profile lang siya due to his heroics against syracuse in the ncaa tournament finals in 1987 (?). si jerry codinera nagkarecord dahil sa kanya -- 10 blocks in a game. maliit lang kasi si smart, mga 6'1 lang at mahilig ibomba iyung bola kaya nahahabol sa sapal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file