Home PEx Lifestyle Health and Wellness
Speak your mind, but mind what you post. Let's not spread disinformation and/or misinformation.

cold sore

I seem to have this friggin cold sore every year and, almost always, same month (October). Why is that, Doc. Ira? At saka, how come it's always on the same spot (upper right lip)? If this continues, in 10-15 years baka butas na ang upper lip ko. :lol: Help, please.

Comments

• IraIra PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    If it has been diagnosed by a physician as cold sores caused by the Herpes simplex virus type I, then I'm afraid that it's going to be a lifelong, recurring problem for you. After a history of chicken pox, the virus remains dormant indefinitely in nerves near the affected skin area. In some people, the virus intermittently reactivates to cause herpes recurrences, which produce cold sores and fever blisters. Recurrences can be triggered by many different factors, including fever, illness, stress, recent dental extraction or sunlight exposure. I'm not sure what exactly triggers your cold sores since I don't know you nor your lifestyle, but your problem is commonplace. There is some preliminary evidence that using sunscreen on the lips will prevent sun-induced eruption of cold sore and fever blisters. Keep the area clean and apply lip balm. Try not to touch the affected area and avoid kissing anyone while blisters and sores are present. Limit stressors and follow a healthy lifestyle. There is a new drug out in the market, its generic name is docosanol 10% cream, which is available over-the-counter in the US. It shortens the duration of the episodes and symptoms that come with cold sores. Unfortunately, it's still not available in Manila. Maybe you can ask friends or relatives in the US to get some for you, though.
  • Thanks for the reply, Doc Ira.

Yes, my doctor said it's a cold sore and it started only 5 years ago. She says it's most likely stress-related because I seem to develop it during stressful time. Uhh.. but it's not like I only get stressed and literally streched out during October, no? :D

Thankfully, it's not really that big a canker (only mongo-size). I also never have a fever or any other uncomfy feelings, except the itchiness. Still... I don't feel like going out and meeting people. It sucks! During Fall season I start using "herpecin-l" lip balm. It's ok, but doesn't really cure (just minimize the damage maybe?).

[Edited by phantom on 12-31-2000 at 08:43 AM]