COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

do you believe that to love is to sacrifice?

i have had it with this idea that to love is to sacrifice!

do you really believe this? if you do, then do not look for mr./ms. right coz being with mr./ms. right would not give you the chance at making sacirifices! if you truly believe this idea then go out there and find thw worst person you can meet and marry him/her coz that would mean that you will have no choice but to make sacrifices for the rest of your life!

don't go looking for someone who will treat you nice. find someone who will treat you like ***** an take it! take it all without complaining! find someone who will lie to you, steal from you, beat you up, get you pregnant twice in two years, someone who will make you give up everything that you hold dear to you and all that you believe in! go ahead and marry someone who will make you loose your self-respect and self-esteem coz that would be great! that would mean that you are sacrificing! get the worst looking person who will treat you in the worst manner possible so that you will have no choice but to sacrifice!

the reason why not too many people find love is because they do not know what to look for!

now who still thinks that to love is to sacrifice?

Comments

• thatgirlthatgirl She's that girl. PExer
    sacrifice in love means that you're willing to put the other person's needs above your own.. and it's not the kind of sacrifice you so vividly described..
  • k8_d_qt_chixk8_d_qt_chix evEr loYal PExer
    Originally posted by thatgirl
    sacrifice in love means that you're willing to put the other person's needs above your own.. and it's not the kind of sacrifice you so vividly described..

tama ka jan sister!!!

love is a sacrifice ... because ur putting up with the worst days of a person ... being with him/her ... during his/her toughest tym ...

y would you look for someone you don't like ... to make a sacrifice and later on kol it love ... it's not being inlove and making a sacrifice at all ... it's a project to be with this person ... and feel good about urself because u've been through hell ... and still be with him ...

u ... got it all wrong ...
  • makapangyarihanmakapangyarihan SEM Consultant PExer
    to be with someone who is not too bad is not too much sacrificing. if to love is indeed to sacrifice then it is perfectly logical to conclude that the more sacrifices that you make, the more loving you are, right?

to sacrifice means to give something of GREATER value for something of a LESSER value.

if one truly believes that love is best expressed through sacrifices then why not go for broke? why not go and sacrifice for the least worthy of your sacrifices? that would mean a greater sacrifice right? and greater sacrifices mean greater love! to be with someone who is your equal is not sacrificing, you are equals and he is probably such a great guy/girl! go and make your sacrifices to the least worthy of it! abandon the ideal for the ideal would not require sacrifices from you.

if you have only enough food to feed one person and you have to make a choice between the one you love and a total stranger, give your food to the stranger for to do so would mean that you have made sacrifices because you have given up one that is of value to you for one that is of no value to you at all.

• thatgirlthatgirl She's that girl. PExer
    Originally posted by makapangyarihan
    to sacrifice means to give something of GREATER value for something of a LESSER value.

in loving someone who doesn't love you back.. you are giving something of a great value for nothing.

in loving someone who fortunately loves you back.. you are still sacrificing because you are willing to give up things that matter to you, things of great value to you just for the sake of making the other person happy. and you really don't get much back except for the rush of having made the one you love happy.
  • bigmacbigmac mabutingbata PExer
    there's this lit'l note posted along one of the doors in our school that says:

"love while sacrificing, sacrifice while loving."

most people regard the terms love and sacrifice as buy one take one, packaged deal concepts... you have identified both as two unrelated terms... i understand it now. thanks.
  • red_door8red_door8 PExer PExer
    To love is also to sacrifice but there are some limitations in that definition. To sacrifice may also mean that it is done out of pity.
  • angelicDAWangelicDAW Member PExer
    sacrifice has such negative connotation. it means you're giving up one thing in favor of another, and this thing that you're giving up is being given up with somewhat hard feelings, almost as though against your wishes.

to say that "to love is to sacrifice" seems to equate love with suffering. i don't agree. while it's true that you do have to compromise and adjust, i believe it is a choice willingly made, a decision borne out of selflessness. sacrifice is not the essence of love.
  • i wonder if Jesus thinks the same as u do, makapangyarihan.
    i wonder if he sacrificed his life on the cross for us coz he thinks we're unworthy. coz he thinks we are of no value at all.. coz we are the stranger..
  • angelicDAWangelicDAW Member PExer
    i just posted a reply in the gift of magi thread (art and lit section) and i think it can relate to this thread (or at least support my stand). in the story , both husband and wife gave up something of themselves to the other. however, it can hardly be called a sacrifice. each of them did what they did because they did not have motivations (what they can get out of it, how happy the other will make them). instead, the sacrifice becomes only a consequence of the decision to value the love they have. they are not focused on what they're giving up (sacrificing); they're focused on what they're giving, period.
  • ziggyboyziggyboy Member PExer
    The ultimate love...to love your neighbors as you love yourself...

Love itself is not a sacrifice, but with love comes sacrifice.
  • PUGSLEYPUGSLEY Banned by Admin PExer
    Real love begins when nothing is expected in return.

• libertyliberty Queen of the Bums PExer
    Originally posted by [email protected]
    i wonder if Jesus thinks the same as u do, makapangyarihan.
    i wonder if he sacrificed his life on the cross for us coz he thinks we're unworthy. coz he thinks we are of no value at all.. coz we are the stranger..

..or it can be the other way around: jc sacrificed his life for us since he thinks his life is unworthy. coz he thinks we are of so great a value.. coz we are truly the beloved ones..

-- just presenting the optimistic perspective there :)
  • kryxkryx Dagger in your Mind PExer
    Originally posted by [email protected]
    i wonder if Jesus thinks the same as u do, makapangyarihan.

I believe that you sacrifice for someone or something worthy of your love. It does not mean that you give up all for no cause. Would you, makapangyarihan, actually give up something of value to you, for no reason at all? Like someone here mentioned earlier: It's love or pity...

• makapangyarihanmakapangyarihan SEM Consultant PExer
    i'll say it again... to sacrifice is to give up something of a greater value to you for something of a lesser value.

now if this statement TO LOVE IS TO SACRIFICE is an absolute, then the more we sacrifice, the more we love, right?

now if that is the case, then the ideal no longer holds true because to achieve the ideal would mean lesser chances of sacrificing on your part. the ideal would now have to be the worst because the ideal is to sacrifice!

the statement TO LOVE IS TO SACRIFICE means that LOVE IS SYNONYMOUS TO SACRIFICE. right? if loving and sacrificing are one and the same, then the only way for us to love with everything we've got is to sacrifice everything we've got! nothingness now becomes the ideal!!! are you following me here?

that is what i've been trying to arrive at. like bigmac said in her reply; loving and sacrificing are not just separate concepts but are actually opposing concepts! they do not go hand in hand like coffee and cream.

no wonder so many girls suffer from what is called the MESSIANIC COMLEX! unconsciously, they are looking for guys that are far from the ideal because they get this twisted sense of purpose. they want to somehow change the man they are with and turn them from frogs to princes. that is why bad boys seem to have such an appeal to girls. it is because they have subconsciously accepted this dogma of TO LOVE IS TO SACRIFICE. and are unaware that that is the reason for their loving.
  • revonarevona Member PExer
    it's nice to know that there are still alot of people here who believe in love and the sacrifice it entails.

sacrifice is the consequence of love and not the other way around.
  • bugsbunnybugsbunny ONE BIG FIGHT! PExer
    to love may mean to make sacrifices but to love is not to sacrifice. and when you love, they're never sacrifices. they're something else.
  • rocketrocket Member PExer
    Yes. I believe that when you love may naka akibat na sakrispisyo... on the contrary.. there is more pleasure in loving than being loved...
  • hudyathudyat feelingstrangelyfine PExer
    Love is a sharing of two people.

:)
  • `shimoda`shimoda Member PExer
    I have to agree with bugsbunny. we have always comfortably assumed that sacrifice is the ultimate proof of our love for someone - or something, perhaps some cause, for that matter - that love would always require sacrifice...

but this is not always the case. Love does not always require sacrifice for, at times, it is not in giving part of you that fuels it as such but it is in sharing what you have...

• kryxkryx Dagger in your Mind PExer

no wonder so many girls suffer from what is called the MESSIANIC COMLEX! unconsciously, they are looking for guys that are far from the ideal because they get this twisted sense of purpose. they want to somehow change the man they are with and turn them from frogs to princes. that is why bad boys seem to have such an appeal to girls. it is because they have subconsciously accepted this dogma of TO LOVE IS TO SACRIFICE. and are unaware that that is the reason for their loving.

I believe some girls actually think that way, yes. I for one thing --- am not a martyr. It's true that I would probably accept flaws and know limitations...But not to the point of sacrificing my life and hopelessly (helplessly?) devoting it to someone who can't ever reciprocate...

Yet it doesn't mean cause I will not sacrifice to THAT point, I can't love with all I have...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file