COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

ON MORALITY AND THE SPEED OF LIGHT...

eistein believed that reality and how it is basically, is dependent upon the observer and the direction as well as his speed. his theory of relativity basically says that reality is relative to the observer.

my question is; does this also apply to morality? is an act evil or good according to how we look at it and from where we stand? is relativity then the only absolute in this world?

Comments

• kartoonistakartoonista Member PExer
    In my opinion, morality is not relative. Even people from the most obscure tribe still hidden in the remotest jungle somewhere in this globe still has what we call a conscience. This built-in alarm was put there by God as a witness for man to distinguish right from wrong. The trouble begins when man chooses to ignore the alarms and let it ring incessantly for some time till the battery goes dead. :ahh::ahh:

Still without a point of reference in morality, anarchy would result and man would be extinct in just a matter of days. :eek:

Yun lang po.
  • makapangyarihanmakapangyarihan SEM Consultant PExer
    Originally posted by kartoonista
    In my opinion, morality is not relative. Even people from the most obscure tribe still hidden in the remotest jungle somewhere in this globe still has what we call a conscience.

a person's conscience is relative to the culture and society that he belongs to and was brought up in. i think that conscience per se does not guarantee morality or to be more precise, the validity of the morality of the person with the said conscience.
  • kartoonistakartoonista Member PExer
    A person's conscience is not always relative to one's culture. There will always be a tinge of guilt if one does wrong and it depends if that person acts upon what he/she feels at that moment. I respect your opinion, but I still stand by what I said. Thanks.
  • wolfkillerwolfkiller Banned by Admin PExer
    morality is not relative it is not a subjective matter. remember the theory of relativity states that the speed of light is constant in a vacumm .morality too is constant given a set of conditions.
  • crazy legscrazy legs Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    To some people having pre-marital sex is a bad deed. Some people think that sex between partners who are not married is good--they're expected to do it if they're dating.

Some people think that it is only right to execute a murderer. Others argue that killing someone is immoral no matter what the reason is. People within the same culture, educational background, and upbringing can end up being on either side of the argument so we can't say that everybody have the same set of morals and beliefs.

Morality is not set in stone. It exists in peoples head. These people have different ideas as to what is moral and immoral. The definition of right and wrong also varies by individual. To say otherwise is just like saying that all people have the same exact personality, attitude, ability to reason and general worldview.
    the moral beliefs of people may be relative and different but morality itself is objective and is constant for a given set of conditions .and there is no such thing as subjective morality as i have said before in a past thread. morality that is subjective would be like a ocaon that is dry the ocean cannot be dry for if it were dry it would no longer be an ocean it would be something else, same is true for morality. morality that is subejctive would no longer be morality , it would be something else.
  • crazy legscrazy legs Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    What are the set of conditions?
  • NoesisNoesis D' magical dragon =) PExer
    Morality is inherent on our being as rooted in the fundamental laws of nature. It is therefore an epiphenomenon of physical reality.
  • brainiacbrainiac Member PExer
    morality is not relative to any position or speed, but morality is relative from person to person. for example, a poor person would steal money or food. to him that's right because it keeps him alive, but to someone who is rich, stealing is immoral because he has an "honest" job. honest is in quotation marks because what is honest to him might be wrong for, say, you or me.
  • roydzroydz i don't bite... PExer
    Morality is not only relative from person to person, but also among societies... morality stems from their generally accepted manner of doing things. What we may deem to be immoral in our society may be well accepted in another.

The truth is also relative...

smiley83.gif
    crazy legs ,conditions include(but are not limited to) reasons, environmental conditions , purpose ,means . brainiac what you are talking about are the beliefs of people not morality itself. roydz truth is not relative it is constant given a set of conditions just like morality after all morality is based on the truth. if truth were relative if would no longer be the " truth" something may then be true and untrue at the same time but that is contradictory something may only be true or untrue. but never true and untrue at the same time .the beliefs of people may be different , but that only means that some of them are correct while others are wrong.( for a given issue or situation.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file