Home PEx Business and Careers The Working Filipino
Speak your mind, but mind what you post. Let's not spread disinformation and/or misinformation.

[Merged] why/why not go to Accenture?

i'm a college senior and almost everyone got application invites from Andersen (soon to be Accenture). can anybody give me an idea on how it is to work for this company?

Comments

• zimdudezimdude PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    The same was true for my batch, 5 years ago.

For me, personally, Andersen-type IT/management isn't my type... and I'm happy I went into the Internet field instead, when it was still quite new.
  • yugayuga PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Originally posted by ƒREQUENCY
    i'm a college senior and almost everyone got application invites from Andersen (soon to be Accenture). can anybody give me an idea on how it is to work for this company?

dude, you may want to read this thread for more insights regarding Accenture.

the work and pay is OK there that's why they got no problem looking for prospective employees, but, there are certain isolated cases when kids like you just quit right after the first day in Accenture. It might have been personal reason but nobody would know if you won't try it.

Let, me put it this way: if you are inclined in IT, willing to travel abroad and have trainings here and there, then you might want to check out this company.

=)
    Yuga
  • many thanks guys! :)
  • KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    I'd advise you suspend judgment about whether Accenture is your kind of company or not. Instead, see if you can answer yes to both of these questions:

1) Do you want a job?
    2) Do you have time to apply for a job?

Because if your answer to both questions is yes, the pragmatic approach is for you to go through the application process. If you are like most people, you do not have recruiters climbing over each other outside your door, fighting for the chance to offer you a job. You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain. These are the advantages of applying to, not necessarily working for Accenture:

1) You might get a job offer (which you can always refuse) and find out how much one company is willing to pay you;
    2) You will get experience in job interviewing, test taking, and a whole host of other aspects of applying for a job, which you can use when you apply to an employer you do like;
    3) You may get to meet good people who work for Accenture, and who can give you a good idea of what it is like to work there.
  • thanks KuyaDanny... i actually am already enjoying all those benefits you mentioned...
  • the company doesn't pay much, but the training is superior. long-term, its worthwhile to work for Accenture/Andersen.
  • MaverickMaverick PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    why:
    - ok naman sweldo
    - college atmospher, first-name basis tawagan ninyo
    - takes you around the world for work and training
    - you get to meet people from different countries, which gives you the self-confidence in dealing with cultures other than your own
    - airline miles (babaw ba ng kaligayahan? hehe...)
    - libreng iced tea (another kababawan)
    - libreng internet (pwera sex-related sites, although minsan lumulusot)
    - beatiful ladies (although wala pa ring tatalo sa dami ng magagandang babae sa mga banks)

why not:
    - minsan ala ka na panahon sa sarili mo dahil sa trabaho (i remember the y2k remediation project na halos araw-araw, maski sabado, madaling-araw na kami umuuwi)
    - minsan magpapasko ka sa ibang bansa, malayo sa pamilya mo
    - pag may naisip pa ako ipo-post ko, hehe...
  • Maverick: ilang taon ka na sa AC at anong team ka kasapi?
    eli: i've been with ac/accenture for more than two and a half years now. i spent two of those years with a client in the resources industry. it seems to me na taga-ac/accenture ka din. am i right? if so, do you like it?
    well my impression of AC is... you're sent abroad to do stuff using obsolete technologies that the people there wouldn't bother to learn already, or is boring... and siyempre we're paid cheaper than the locals. correct me if I'm wrong?
    Originally posted by zimdude
    well my impression of AC is... you're sent abroad to do stuff using obsolete technologies that the people there wouldn't bother to learn already, or is boring... and siyempre we're paid cheaper than the locals. correct me if I'm wrong?

actually, zimdude, correct ka. pero di naman sa lahat ng projects yun. there are people here that are involved in e-commerce projects and new technologies.
  • zimdude: tama ka... some guys are into those obsolete technologies... like COBOL. malas mo na lang kung napadpad ka dun. w/ regards to e-commerce proj., swerte ka kung mapunta ka dyan. konti lang ang mga nandyan.
  • I'm a fresh graduate (IT), I checking out AC... Can you give me some tips?? Happy Holidays!!!! :)
    well, on the good side, it seems that people, like my friends, working at AC pick up stuff about Management - as if you took up an MBA. this is because they have really formal methodologies for doing things.
  • I worked with AC for three years from '92 to '95 so am not sure if my experience still holds true. But I enjoyed my stay there, usually it's more geared for single people because of the travel and long hours. It was nice to work with people from other countries. The work is quite structured so it might be a bit limiting to others who want more flexibility and creativity in programming or designing. Technolgy-wise, I didn't learn so much because in my 3 years there, I had three projects wherein I was focused only on one language. I think I learned more about business processes and reengineering as well as working in teams than the technical side and these still continue to help me in my current job. I have no regrets working in AC even though I have shifted out of the IT industry.
    emilie, your experiences still hold true. maybe that's why people would like to have ac as their first job: it jumpstarts their corporate careers and you learn things (such as management, in many different aspects) that can really help you, should you decide to pursue a different career.
  • kuya danny: kahit naman nag-iinvite ang accenture ng mga prospective employees eh they still undergo the whole application process i.e., qualifying exams, interviews, etc.

ako din, i've been with this organization for almost 3 years now. kahit hindi talaga IT ang course ko nung college, no regrets ako sa mga experiences ko dito.

siguro isang plus pag nag-work ka frequency dito sa accenture, aside from those maverick already mentioned eh yung experience to work in an environment na talagang systematic. pero that doesn't necessarily mean na lahat ng bagay absolute - meron pa rin ditong tinatawag na best practices venues wherein you can share processes which may be new or modified that will make life easier/more efficient.
  • KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    Originally posted by orano
    kuya danny: kahit naman nag-iinvite ang accenture ng mga prospective employees eh they still undergo the whole application process i.e., qualifying exams, interviews, etc.

That's what I meant. The process of getting the job is almost as valuable as the job itself.
  • Thanks to everyone who posted! I'm already seriously looking into a career with Accenture... now, if I'd only get that 2nd Interview call... :ahh:
  • yugayuga PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    i heard it's about one interview a month (apat ang interview di ba?), but gluck to you 'tsong! ;)