Home PEx Lifestyle Body and Fitness

Lifting Weights Vs. Cardio

I Just Want Someone Knowleadgeable To Validate If Lifting Weights Burns Far More Calories Than Cardio.. I Have Read Few Articles Regarding This.. Enlighten Me Anyone..? Thanks..

Comments

• im no expert but i think

cardio = burns calories
    weights = burns calories + builds muscle + increase strength

imo cardio is better suited for women
  • Anong uri ba ng Cardio ang tinutukoy mo?? Aerobic o Anaerobic??
  • Anaerobic exercise tend to burn more calories than aerobic exercise as proven in a japanese study (which incidentally led to tabata protocols or strength interval training strategies). Sources abound on the internet. I suggest searching for yourself twisted logic.
  • To maintain muscle mass and a longer period of elevated metabolism, weight training is definitely better than cardio. As tonyoboy said, its being anaerobic in nature allows for more calorie burning. Peace.
  • thanks guys! all the while i thought that cardio is the sole way to burn calories.. currently, i dont have the luxury of time to do running.. so when i read some articles regarding lifting weights other advantages, nabuhayan ako! hehe! lalo na nung clarified na! salamat!
  • My abs are almost fully visible again after cleaning up my diet and doing only EDT. I'm currently 175lbs at 5'10".

If I did cardio, I'd continue to lose muscle and that would slow my metabolism further and thus I'd gain fat easier and begin an endless cycle like most people.

EDT/strength training only allows me to maintain muscle while using fat as a fuel during training after glycogen stores are exhausted early in the training session. The body releases adrenaline in response to EDT strength training and adrenaline triggers the release of fatty acids (stored bodyfat) as the primary fuel source. This is also why EDT stimulates fat loss to continue long after you've finished the workout.

This is coupled with a moderate protein diet. Normally I eat full-fat yogurt and full egg omletes. If I eat non-fat yogurt, say 2-3 yogurts for a meal, I'd still have cravings. But if I eat full fat yogurt, I'll get a balanced protein/carb/fat meal that's filling and between 200-300 calories. That plus it tastes good. You can throw in a small amount of crunchy cereal to make it like a dessert.

Hope this helps, as it is one of my secrets for getting lean fast, especially for all of you who have noticed that I've dropped about 15lbs over the last month. This is one of the ways I did it. That plus I cut down on beer :D
  • what is EDT training? i have read in men's heallth that you cannot lose fat and gain muscle at once..it got me frustrated,, i had been doing running and boxing, but due to time connstraints, im not able to do it as religiously as before..im as well doubtful to go on a diet because i might lose the muscles i have now..goal: shed off my thin layers of fat in midsection.. thanks!
  • what is EDT training? i have read in men's heallth that you cannot lose fat and gain muscle at once..it got me frustrated,, i had been doing running and boxing, but due to time connstraints, im not able to do it as religiously as before..im as well doubtful to go on a diet because i might lose the muscles i have now..goal: shed off my thin layers of fat in midsection.. thanks!

With EDT you can gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously. I've seen it done with numerous members of ours who have remarked how their strength has doubled but their scale weight has remained the same or even slightly lowered...not to mention their clothing fits differently, i.e. tighter in the shoulders for men but looser in the neck, waist, and belt area...while ladies notice that their hips/butt gets bigger (rounder) but their thighs and arms get smaller as does their waist. Ladies also notice that their arm circumference remains about the same but their arms lose the "lola" effect. In other words what was flabby is now firm. This means that the fat has been reduced and the muscle has taken its place. This means a faster metabolism where you can eat more and not gain weight. That is the goal for anybody at the gym and it's why we can eat pizza and drink beer and not get fat since our metabolism is creating an extra 500 calories of daily lee-way.

mens health said that? are you talking about mens health phils? my gosh that material is crap!!!!
  • yes it was on their september issue enricio!. my only problem is my core section.. it isnt as defined as my other body parts... thanks sir bchmist!