Pinaka-OK na sasakyan pang-baha — PinoyExchange

Pinaka-OK na sasakyan pang-baha

bukod sa bangka.

We are seriously considering selling our 2nd car for a vehicle na di ka kakabahan pag biglang bumaha sa santolan, katipunan o saan man. ayaw na namin ang feeling na kakaba kaba basta bumuhos ng matagal ang ulan at di kami makatawid sa isang maikling portion na baha dahil papasukin ang kotse.

Ok ba ang mga pickup? Gusto rin namin na "civilized" din ang ride pag hindi baha. Yung mga SUV ba ngayon na available dito, pang-porma lang o pwedeng ilusong pa rin? Di ba nakakahinayang o mas maselan pa sa mga sedan?

of course, pag hanggang dibdib na tubig, amphibian na dapat siguro ang dalhin namin.

Thanks for your tips and insights!

Comments

• OTEP R
    OTEP R Tsikot.com Admin
    How deep is the flood?

A big factor in fording water is driver training. I've had a chance to get pointers from veteran off-roaders and water fording is not really something I'd recommend unless you really have to.

I can ford tire deep waters in my rickety old Mercedes using lessons learned from off-roaders.

*Don't slide the clutch. Every manong driver will tell you to slide the clutch when fording water. This is a mortal sin. Keep your foot off the clutch! This is so that water cannot contaminate the clutch disc. Also note how high the breather tube of the tranny is. On some pick ups, it's just a nipple that comes out of the side, on a Nissan Sentra/Suzuki Vitara, the breather extends up into the engine compartment near the firewall.

*Drive slowly while crossing water. You're not in some SUV commercial.

*If you are driving an automatic, most of them are well sealed from the factory (the shifter in the cabin is just connected by linkages and does not physically penetrate the tranny housing). Just make sure you know how high the dipstick/fill hole is.

*Anything above hub deep can cause water seepage into axles. Some pick ups and SUV's have axles with elevated breather tubes. They're pretty easy to spot as rubber tubes extending out from the axle and ending up on a chassis frame rail or somewhere similar.

*CHECK WHERE YOUR AIR INTAKE IS. Ford Escapes are tall, but their air intakes are not very well designed (still derived from a car). Bumper deep water can kill a Ford Escape. This is called hydrolock and it's your worst nightmare. A lot of cars ingest air from behind the headlamps but some have air intakes in the bumper (e.g. Toyota Lite Ace) which can easy get submerged by the bow wave created as you move in water. Pajeros have air intakes behind the right headlight, but the air cleaner itself has a built in drain to help avoid contamination.

*But the best advice is still not to ford water. Just wait it out. Have some coffee or doughnuts first.

If you are really hellbent on fording water, get a vehicle that is as simple as possible. Minimal electronics, reasonable ground clearance, etc. Isuzu Crosswinds and Mitsubishi Adventures with their uber-antique engines would probably work. I've dunked a Mitsu 4d56 motor in hood deep waters and still made it the the other side of the stream.

SUV's also have little details that make them more water resistant than your typical family car:
    *Raised air intakes
    *Air intake drains
    *Raised tranny/axle breathers
    *Baffled air intakes
    *Electronics in the cabin (not in the engine compartment)
    *More watertight electrical connectors
  • Kung may pera ka naman. Bili ka ng H1 Hummer. Miski hanggang dibdib pa yan baha or pag lampas tao pag si mahal ang lumusong. Sure na sure yan na ikaw lang ang astig sa daan. Pero syempre para ka na rin nag swimming sa baha nun.. :rotflmao:
  • boogerflicker
    boogerflicker the coolangot
    Maraming salamat OTEP R!

OTEP R wrote: »
    How deep is the flood?

Usual floods na kalahati gulong / abot ilalim ng car.

Ayaw lang namin yung ma-stuck at kakakaba kaba baka lumalim pa. basta tumawid at makaalis sa pagkabaha na yun. hindi heavy duty fording.
    A big factor in fording water is driver training. I've had a chance to get pointers from veteran off-roaders and water fording is not really something I'd recommend unless you really have to.

I can ford tire deep waters in my rickety old Mercedes using lessons learned from off-roaders.

*Don't slide the clutch. Every manong driver will tell you to slide the clutch when fording water. This is a mortal sin. Keep your foot off the clutch! This is so that water cannot contaminate the clutch disc. Also note how high the breather tube of the tranny is. On some pick ups, it's just a nipple that comes out of the side, on a Nissan Sentra/Suzuki Vitara, the breather extends up into the engine compartment near the firewall.

*Drive slowly while crossing water. You're not in some SUV commercial.

*If you are driving an automatic, most of them are well sealed from the factory (the shifter in the cabin is just connected by linkages and does not physically penetrate the tranny housing). Just make sure you know how high the dipstick/fill hole is.

*Anything above hub deep can cause water seepage into axles. Some pick ups and SUV's have axles with elevated breather tubes. They're pretty easy to spot as rubber tubes extending out from the axle and ending up on a chassis frame rail or somewhere similar.

*CHECK WHERE YOUR AIR INTAKE IS. Ford Escapes are tall, but their air intakes are not very well designed (still derived from a car). Bumper deep water can kill a Ford Escape. This is called hydrolock and it's your worst nightmare. A lot of cars ingest air from behind the headlamps but some have air intakes in the bumper (e.g. Toyota Lite Ace) which can easy get submerged by the bow wave created as you move in water. Pajeros have air intakes behind the right headlight, but the air cleaner itself has a built in drain to help avoid contamination.

*But the best advice is still not to ford water. Just wait it out. Have some coffee or doughnuts first.

Laking tulong nito!

If you are really hellbent on fording water, get a vehicle that is as simple as possible. Minimal electronics, reasonable ground clearance, etc. Isuzu Crosswinds and Mitsubishi Adventures with their uber-antique engines would probably work. I've dunked a Mitsu 4d56 motor in hood deep waters and still made it the the other side of the stream.

Oo nga. naalala ko nung sumama ako sa pinsan ko sa malabon, sakay kami ng diesel na owner (stainless!) pinasok na kami sa loob, hanggang hood ang baha, tumirik sa gitna, so baba kami at tulak. nung nakaahon, tinulak lang namin nag-start na. parang walang nangyari.

thanks for the advice!
  • boogerflicker
    ano symptoms of a sedan na lumusong kahit sandali lang? ano dapat gawin dapat after? may long term effects ba ito pag walang ginawa?
  • shun_sakurai
    shun_sakurai when in doubt, FLAT OUT!
    After fording deep floodwaters:
    - Dry your brakes immediately by accelerating to a moderate speed, then braking. Repeat.
    - Have your underchassis checked and/or have it washed to remove corrosion-inducing elements you may have picked up from the floodwater.
    - Some people will tell you to have your CV joints checked also.

But not slipping the clutch while fording water? That's new. May dahilan pala. Thanks OTEP.
  • marco_1
    marco_1 M I Y E M B R O
    dati gusto ko yung pickup - Ford Ranger Pinatubo version, naka snorkel sya! :)
  • OTEP R
    OTEP R Tsikot.com Admin
    ano symptoms of a sedan na lumusong kahit sandali lang? ano dapat gawin dapat after? may long term effects ba ito pag walang ginawa?

Again, depends on depth. Anything below the centerline of the wheel (hub deep) is usually surviveable with no long term effects.

As posted, dry the brakes immediately (not 2 seconds before you hit the car in front).

Immediately wash the underchassis with high pressure water plus car shampoo.

Don't leave the handbrake engaged overnight, it is liable to get stuck. Use wheel chocks (kalso) and leave it in gear (manual) or park (matic) if the water has not sunk the transmission. If water has gone above the level of the transmission. Use plenty of chocks and leave both gearshift in neutral and handbrake disengaged overnight.

Before fording, check if the rubber boots of your car are ok. Especially that of the CV joints. Rubber boots are not hard to find. They look like rubber ice cream cones/accordions and protect vital components. If there is a torn boot, replace immediately. You will also need to replace any grease (repack) that has been lost due to the torn boot.
  • About 8 years ago, I had my Nissan Sentra box type submerged very deep into the flood waters. The water was about chest deep in the car with cockroaches floating about (gak!). I was so stupid that time, I thought the water was manageable. The car floated aimlessly about, but I used the front wheel as a rudder to navigate me around and the speed of the wheel to propel me forward, at least it moved. I kept at first gear and revved the car high.

Luckily, there was these a group of canto boys pushing the cars stranded in the flood. They pushed my car to dry ground and I gave them a tip. To my surprise, this old jalopy is still working, while all those high tech pajeros and toyotas can't start. Ha!

So, I tried again, treading the flood like an amphibian. Everything was chest deep. While everyone was stranded, I treaded the floods with a grin and I can go home much earlier. Though I was shivering from the cold waters.

That was from Makati Cinema Square and then Makati Med, and then Beundia, and then Mandaluyong and then all the way home. The car went all the way without coughing.

Now, I don't know what happened, but the car should stall.

Any explanation? Btw, the tambucho is already kalawang before the flood and the tambucho part near the engine is already butas.
  • slamm
    slamm runnin on empty
    Ditto on what Otep and the others mentioned. :)

When i used to drive my pick-up i would still avoid floods as much as possible... such a hassle regreasing axles and flushing the brake system; floods are one reason for getting contaminated brake lines that can lead to premature caliper overhaul and rust on the piston.
  • boogerflicker
    is a suzuki jimny a flood-worthy vehicle as their ad materials say?
  • OTEP R
    OTEP R Tsikot.com Admin
    Yes as long as you know how to drive on water don't neglect maintenance. I've seen Jimny's survive bumper deep water.

Surviving the fording episode is one thing, if you neglect maintenance, the longevity of your vehicle may be affected.

As previously posted, anything above hub deep means you're looking at changing the oil in the diffs soon as well as a bearing repack.
  • ....I used to have a Mitsubishi Glxi...and it was good....now I have a Minicooper...and it is better....(on traffic..on parking..pormang dagdag ganda)
  • Hummer H1 nga dapat in Manila floods.

But then, the car becomes useless because you can't pass through too if the cars in front won't...:)
  • Once, we suddenly found ourselves in a flood. There was no backing off because we went from one inch deep and to 2 feet deep with no warning at all. We figured that we would be in even more trouble if we tried to back up.

This was in the late 80's. Our Lancer was the successor to the box-type. Yung round and curves. Anyway, we kept pushing forward. A one point, it suddenly got dark! The headlights had submerged! But the car kept going. Had a shudder or two but never stalled. The water inside the car reached our butts. My brother kept saying, "Go!, Go!"

Was funny when we finally reached a dry place. We opened the doors and out pours all the water. The people on the other side who were waiting for the floods to subside had their mouths open. :D

We called that our "Red October". Yup, if you want to go through a flood use one of the older cars. Old Beetles, I hear, are great in floods.
  • glenchuy
    glenchuy metrosexual shopaholic
    don't slide the clutch.
    obviously, stay on the first gear.
    turn off the AC. (the fan will splash air into the intakes)
  • slide the clutch? umm pwede pa explain? hehe baguhan pa lang po.. thanks!
  • glenchuy wrote: »
    don't slide the clutch.
    obviously, stay on the first gear.
    turn off the AC. (the fan will splash air into the intakes)

Almost every year, dumadaan ko sa baha bumber deep or even higher. and ang ginagawa ko lang is to maintain a high rev and slide clutch. Been doing that for almost 11 years na, and i didn't have any problems with the car. (siguro few times lang, pero possible na dahil sobrang luma na and hinde dahil sa baha).

don't really know the reason, why it is advisable not to slide the clutch?
  • jason_10
    jason_10 auto enthusiast
    ^water would penetrate the clutch.
  • OTEP R
    OTEP R Tsikot.com Admin
    Yep. Water could go in betwen the clutch and the flywheel.

This type of contamination could lead to the clutch disc being stuck to the flywheel. Sort of like how your parking brakes get stuck up when you engage them overnight after fording water.

It's you car, if you want to slide it, be our guest. hehehe.
  • Some people would also advise that you should keep your revs high especially if the exhaust is underwater na. That way, the water does not enter. E, sometimes the only way to keep your revs high while in deep water is to slide the clutch. That's probably why the older drivers would say to slide the clutch.

Siguro nga, judgment call na lang. Do you want to risk stalling or do you want to risk getting water in the clutch? Either way, bad situation. Siguro, for me the second option na lang. Get the clutch fixed later.