Home PEx Hobbies Music and Radio
Discuss your bets and predictions on who will be the next Miss Universe. 👑

Can we still bring back the Metropop Song Festival?

the Metropop Song Festival has long showcased the best in Filipino music. it has produced some of the best known OPM songs in the country- "Kay Ganda ng Ating Musika", "Anak", "Salamat, Salamat Musika", "Umagang Kay Ganda", "A Smile in Your Heart" and "Isang Mundo, Isang Awit" among others.

with the long absence of the Metropop Song Festival (the last one was held in 2003), would it still be possible for GMA or any other media entity out there to, once again, bring back the Metropop and continue showcasing the finest Pinoy musical talent?

Comments

• ^ i'm also hoping for that to happen.
  • Yeah. If I'm not mistaken, sa contest din na ito nanggaling ang "Buti na lang" ni Kyla at "Imbisibol" ni Michael V.
  • pepmanpepman PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Sana lang mangyari ito.
  • sana ibalik ng GMA
  • baludoybaludoy Nag me-meron PEx Expert 🎖️
    favorite products ko ng metropop fest ay iyong ang aking awitin no bong gabriel at pain ni martin nievera. truly opm classics :)

btw, kelangan ba balladeer o solo artist ka lang para maka-sali sa metro pop?
  • okay talaga yung song ni bong gabriel. i think kelangan uli ngayon na ibalik ang metropop para lumabas yung mga songs na may kalidad.
  • I have seen more than 3/4 of my life with the Metropop song festival around ( I'm now in my forties), and I'd say that the proponents of this song contest only had the best interests of the Filipino talent in mind. If I'm not mistaken, former First Lady Imelda Marcos initiated this project to beautify the image of Manila during Martial Law through original Pilipino Music (OPM).

At that time, OPM was able to thrive thanks partly to government regulation on the playing of local hits on radio stations. Now, nobody follows this, particularly those stations that cater to rich Filipino audiences, while the "masa" stations do not need this regulation anymore as most of its listeners are accustomed to the songs Filipino artists had recorded, be that original Filipino or just a plain copy of a foreign song.

But why am I not going to see a return of the Metropop any time sooner to put the much needed boost to the already "dead" OPM industry (sorry for the term guys, but that's how I feel about the music lately)? Several reasons:

The Filipino artists of the '80s and '90s have all aged. Like wine, true, their sounds have become more standard and acceptable even to the ears of the young generation. But the problem is, they're not singing new songs anymore. Just the same ol' stuff we heard from them 20 years ago over and over again. Papaano itong maienganyong magpapalikha ng bagong kanta ng ating mga bagong kompositor?

It will take a whole lot of determination and dedication, like what our local film industry is now doing, to revive Filipino music or OPM as we know it before. And we have to start this with the myriad of collegiate and professional bands that we now hear on the radio in growing numbers. Their creations and their "cover versions" should be studied more closely, and those which are homegrown, be given more emphasis.

Thankfully for that genre, RJ Jacinto has been actively supporting it. But RJ is just one person. We need more of it.