Home PEx Hobbies Anime and Manga

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Toki Wo Kakeru Shoujo)

So... has anyone seen this yet?

Thing was friggin' anime movie of the year... I saw it when it came to Berkeley and it was friggin' BEAUTIFUL.

Actually, this just came out on fansubs recently and it's making a lot of waves.

Yeah, head out to animesuki or something and look under "Toki wo kakeru Shoujo"

Comments

• yeah, seen it. it sure was a great movie. i was only wondering how did their leaping get recharged by one each?
  • DKLDKL PExer
    antoine666 wrote: »
    yeah, seen it. it sure was a great movie. i was only wondering how did their leaping get recharged by one each?

What I think is that:
    When Chiaki re-did some of the events *he stole Makoto's bike before Kosuke could use it*, Makoto was brought back to a point in time where she still had her last charge as well (she only recently used the last one)... notice how all of her wounds were gone...

So, what Makoto did was jump back to the point where Chiaki still had his last charge... and that's how it worked.

Yeah, that's how I understood it anyway...

But, actually, I need to re-watch the movie as it's a little hard to keep track of where everything was (since... man, they leaped back a lot).

But, I'm pretty sure that's how it vaguely worked.
  • But seriously, jump back in time to eat pudding!?

Aaaargh!!! But then again doing more might have ripped the fabric of the space-time continuum.
    And yeah, Makoto used her last jump when Chiaki called a few minutes before the accident. But since Chiaki jumped way back to even before Kousuke got the bike (way before the accident or the call happened) then presumably Makoto hasn't used up her very last charge yet.

Aaaargh!!!

But Makoto's sister was hilarious.
    Makoto's sister: Why are you doing this? Because I ate your pudding?
    Makoto: Whaat?
    Makoto's sister: Onee-chan, don't die!
  • booksalebooksale PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    meron na ba nito sa pinas?
  • DKLDKL PExer
    booksale wrote: »
    meron na ba nito sa pinas?
    Probably not...

Well, it's not in the US either... only way to see it right now is off Bit ***** or something...
    alam ko wala. pero meron na ba nito sa quiapo? ;)
  • DKLDKL PExer
    booksale wrote: »
    alam ko wala. pero meron na ba nito sa quiapo? ;)
    Oh, then I wouldn't know that either...

Haven't been in the Philippines for like...

2 years.
  • Onga may dvd ba toh dito?? Gusto ko mapanood
  • I've watched it. Best anime movie i've seen, though I admit I've not really been following them. Better than Howl's I must say. :)
  • DKLDKL PExer
    I've watched it. Best anime movie i've seen, though I admit I've not really been following them. Better than Howl's I must say. :)
    Mamoru Hosoda (director of this movie) was actually kicked off of Howl's Moving Castle (he was supposed to do it, but I think Ghibli was giving him a hard time and Howl's just eventually ended up in Miyazaki's hands)

That said... While I did really liked Howl's, I'm under the impression that I probably would've liked it more had Hosoda done it.

But yeah... I think there's a direct-download for this thing too... but I'm not sure.
    i just got a copy, will watch later...
  • I've been impatiently waiting for a licensed English copy of this one. I find it odd that the Japanese DVDs of popular anime movies like Gedo Senki and Brave Story do have English subtitles but the award-winning TokiKake doesn't.

It's interesting to know that Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, character designer of Evangelion, designed the characters of this anime too.
  • DKLDKL PExer
    It's probably gonna be announced sooner or later; since it's Kadokawa, there's a good chance that this'll come over.

I'm more worried about Masayuki Kojima's new movie, Piano Forest.
  • I really wish I could have loved this film more, but, alas, the ending kinda ruined it for me. Okay, maybe not that bad, but it certainly isn't as perfect as it could have been; I still can't stop myself from thinking that it could have been better if Chiaki (or Makoto) didn't say anything at the end. I also found the voice acting when time stopped in the middle of the road was not that natural either, hence, the event which I think was supposed to make the biggest impact just felt forced. Nitpicks, nitpicks, I know, still... Nevertheless, it was a good film, just could have been better.
  • DKLDKL PExer
    Huh?

Voice acting here blows a lot of the anime stuff I regularly watch outta the water.

Also, the near-ending line is pretty much what summarizes Mamoru Hosoda's playful style; it gives the viewer a sense of lingering hope despite the reality of things.

And, while it's not obvious, I thought that it was neat that Chiaki's last line was such a nice contrast to the popular saying in the movie "Time waits for no one."

It's REALLY solid storytelling.

That said, I have a good feeling that Piano Forest might be better than this, judging by Masayuki Kojima's excellent work on TV shows such as Monster and Hanada Shonen Shi.

This really was a good year for Madhouse, like I thought it would be.
  • haaayfr3.gif
    Here it is…

The wait is over…

To be the winner in The 2007 PinoyAnimeCentral Awards!

Watch out for your favorite anime to be a nominee here…

See the official website…

PinoyAnimeCentralAwards – Year-end Poll

and see what’s in you…
  • Voice acting here blows a lot of the anime stuff I regularly watch outta the water.

For the most part voice acting was good, but when it came to parts that required the characters to emote (like that scene in the middle of the road), it came off underwhelming and lacking impact. As such, Makoto didn't sound desperate enough or what have you.
    Also, the near-ending line is pretty much what summarizes Mamoru Hosoda's playful style; it gives the viewer a sense of lingering hope despite the reality of things.

And, while it's not obvious, I thought that it was neat that Chiaki's last line was such a nice contrast to the popular saying in the movie "Time waits for no one."

I can understand how people can like this, but it just didn't sit well with me. I would have liked it more if Chiaki didn't say anything at all; the little nuances and their body language (the patting of Makoto's head and such) were subtle enough to not give Makoto any false hope and move forward on her own. It would have given Makoto a much more solid and believable character development, I think.

But, hey, to each his/her own. I'm not saying the film was awful, heck I liked it a lot, it just didn't really amaze me as I wish it could have.