Home PEx International Entertainment General Entertainment

What do you think about "Duets"?

CaRaMBaCaRaMBa Administrator PEx Moderator
Hi guys, we're going to feature the movie "Duets" for our next PinoyExchange Live on the Hive radio show. To those who have watched, please post your reviews here. We might even read your posts next tuesday. :) Thanks!

Comments

• neth_rowneth_row PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    02404001.jpg

the film is about six characters from all walks of life who share a love of karaoke, and compete against each other in karaoke contests...."Duets" begins with each character in different parts of the country, and by chance or circumstance they become involved with each other....somewhere along the line, the characters were supposed to have learned something about life, or enriched their existences through the joy of karaoke, but I didn't see it happen....maybe I blinked....

Central to the film is Todd, who plays a burned out, middle-aged guy who quits his corporate life....sounds a little like American Beauty?? it does and it comes off as a pale imitation....now, while I think Paul Giamatti is a great actor, I believe that his character is pointless and the film wastes too much time on him...for a good bulk of the film, we watch as Todd involves himself with ex-con songbird Reggie (Andre Braugher)....

Suzi (Maria Bello) is a slut who ***** her way across the country from one Karaoke contest to another....she meets up with Billy (what was Scott Speedman thinking when he agreed to do this role?!), who was almost a priest....he graciously teaches her the error of her ways (sort of the "Sally" character in Felicity)....

Probably the only characters in "Duets" that sparkles are Huey Lewis and Gwyneth Paltrow....Lewis is a career Karaoke singer, who is the deadbeat dad of Paltrow....Huey is stiff and a bit awkward in front of the camera - until he starts singing....Paltrow, on the other hand, readily gave life to her role as the lost daughter with little effort....

the whole film felt pre-packaged and artificial....none of it felt real...all these separate characters were too perfectly archetypical...none them really bond with each other, despite the fact they were with each other at critical junctures...."Duets" keeps pushing this theme (that strangers can change each other's life) onto the movie-goer, but it isn't recognizable in any of the dialogue or scenes that we're privy to.

"Duets" was slightly amusing at times, I think I laughed once or twice, usually at Paul Giamatti's wacky antics and impeccably timing...lacking a basic plot (surely, no one would drive across the country for 5,000 bucks), and relying heavily on the actors to bring to life a flat script, "Duets" fails miserably....while the main six actors did well in their respective roles, they had nothing interesting, meaningful, or remarkable to do or say; and any charisma the actors had, was buried forever in it's bland dialogue....

it's as simple as this - "Duets" tries too hard to be meaningful....if endless karaoke isn't your idea of a good time, neither will "Duets" be....I highly recommend skipping this movie all together....
  • Bumping this topic up for discussion
  • hahah THANK YOU at meron ding ayaw sa sineng to..

it's a typical romantic crap..i guess the romantic pinoy in you will like it..but other than that..it won't really do anything to your intellect :D
  • AdaAda Administrator PEx Moderator
    Duets is probably one of the worst movies I've watched. There wasn't a main plot [unless you consider the joys of singing Karaoke the plot], the characters were flat, the script was awful, there were unnecessary breast exposures, and the list goes on. I can't believe Paltrow decided to star in this film after Shakespeare In Love and a Best Actress award. Makes me wonder if she even read the script.

I believe most people want to see this film for the Crusin' duet scene. Take my advice: go for the MTV instead. It's the exact scene and you won't have to waste money and sit through a lousy film just to see it.
  • uptowngirluptowngirl PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    :lol:

What's romantic about it? I didn't find anything romantic about the movie.

Honestly, I like the it. I'm a sucker for heartwarming, mushy stories. :D
  • i found it boring.. daming subplots eh.

todd was the only amusing and worthwhile character. nabilib nga lang ako sa singing prowess ni gwyneth.
  • neth_rowneth_row PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Originally posted by Ada
    [bI can't believe Paltrow decided to star in this film after Shakespeare In Love and a Best Actress award. Makes me wonder if she even read the script.

maybe his dad (bruce, the director) forced her into starring in it...
  • CaRaMBaCaRaMBa Administrator PEx Moderator
    Damn I haven't watched it yet. Looks like as if I shouldn't na. :)
  • hmmm.....it was entertaining, the soundtrack is sure to be a hit....i loved how the Coyote Ugly boss (sori, i dont remember her name) was totally natural for her role...

the father-daughter relationship between gwyneth and huey wasn't explored much...huey didn't even seem concerned that he did lose a lot by all the years he didn't know about gwyneth's existence...

gwyneth's character reminded me that of a flower child....all innocence and no depth....but enchanting nonetheless...

Cruisin' couldn't have been revived by a more suited pair...

Gwyneth sure has a cool voice (that song with lines like "tease you..." sure was carried well)

oh yeah......the black man (is he the partner of nicolas cage in City of Angels) was, for me, the really redeeming character of the film...:)

• AdaAda Administrator PEx Moderator
    chikitita: Yeah, it was all sub-plot. I wish they could've at least tried to tie the sub-plots together or, if not that, develop them better.

neth_row: Oh yeah! I forgot that Gwyneth's dad was the director. Di na naawa yung tatay. :lol:
  • There were too many stories within the story, most of whom seemed extreme and yet uninteresting.

I thought the performances of Maria Belo and Gwyneth Paltrow were the redeeming factors for the movie. Huey Lewis was

The movie was very slow and dragging and it seemed that the writer was trying too hard to sprinkle some real life anecdotes integrated with the whole Karaoke phenomenon.

1 out of 4 stars.

Peace.
  • ganon? hmp...manonood pa naman sana ako ngayon ng duets. buti na lang nabasa ko reply nyo...iba na lang pnonoorin ko...

Thanks guys!
  • Okay lang naman yung movie for me...pero ang nagustuhan ko lang talaga sa movie is nung nag "duet" na sila ni gwyneth and his dad in the movie...ang ganda ng boses nila, ganda din ng kanta...yun lang.. :D :*)
  • does it mean that the only thing that attract you guys in the movie was basically the songs? nyyyaaaaaakkkk! i should buy the soundtrack instead.

• Just want to share some info about duets:

This movie, I'm really not sure what BRUCE PALTROW did here, is he the director or the producer? Anyway, BRAD PITT was supposed to appear in the movie as GWYNETH PALTROW's brother... but what happened was they broke up... (Kasi this movie had been on talks noong mag-on pa sila) So Brad Pitt backed out, and HUEY LEWIS stepped in as Gwyn's dad.

Um, did SCOTT SPEEDMAN sing ba in the movie?

• gusto ko pa man ding panoorin ang duets dahil gandang-ganda ako sa song...buti na lang,nakita ko comments nyo..saved
    P50 pa!