Home PEx Lifestyle Health and Wellness
Speak your mind, but mind what you post. Let's not spread disinformation and/or misinformation.

Thyroid Cancer

I was misdiagnosed. The doctor assumed that it was not cancer but it turned out to be cancer after all. I will be going back to the hospital for a radioactive iodine and am suppose to stay there for 4 to 5 days daw.

I have been through that stage wherein the doctor tells me I will be normal again (during my spine surgery) but I never was. I assume, they are just trying to help me so that I won't worry too much. Can any of you be honest with me and tell me what to expect after the radioactive iodine treatment. I really want to know. I think I can handle it. I need to know what to expect.

Secondly, I felt depressed after my thyroidectomy but my moods picked up after some time. When I found out by accident, it was cancer, I went through depression again. Right now, I often find myself with very erratic mood swings. I can be very very happy today and be very sad with uncontrollable tears the following day? Is this normal for someone who has thyroid cancer? You see, my mom often sees the doctor with me and I want to spare her these details. I asked her several times not to go with me but she insists and even picks a fight most of the time if i ask her again not to go.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• marblesmarbles PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Have you been seeing an oncologist? They're in the best position to explain to you about the prognosis, what to expect after the radioactive iodine therapy, and what your next steps will be. The approach to treatment of thyroid cancer not only depends on the type of cancer you have, but also its extent (clinical staging/grading), other associated signs or symptoms you may have, and how your body responds to any previous treatments, etc. Some types of thyroid cancer have less favorable prognosis than others.

Are you taking thyroid supplements regularly? Are you seeing an endocrinologist? Patients who have been diagnosed with cancer are known to undergo depression. However, in some patients, an imbalance of thyroid hormones (esp. hypothyroidism) can also cause mood swings and depression. Does your doctor know about your mood swings? You can ask him/her to refer you to a psychiatrist for evaluation and counselling.
  • Leih1234 wrote: »
    I was misdiagnosed. The doctor assumed that it was not cancer but it turned out to be cancer after all. I will be going back to the hospital for a radioactive iodine and am suppose to stay there for 4 to 5 days daw.

I have been through that stage wherein the doctor tells me I will be normal again (during my spine surgery) but I never was. I assume, they are just trying to help me so that I won't worry too much. Can any of you be honest with me and tell me what to expect after the radioactive iodine treatment. I really want to know. I think I can handle it. I need to know what to expect.

Secondly, I felt depressed after my thyroidectomy but my moods picked up after some time. When I found out by accident, it was cancer, I went through depression again. Right now, I often find myself with very erratic mood swings. I can be very very happy today and be very sad with uncontrollable tears the following day? Is this normal for someone who has thyroid cancer? You see, my mom often sees the doctor with me and I want to spare her these details. I asked her several times not to go with me but she insists and even picks a fight most of the time if i ask her again not to go.

Thank you in advance.

Hello Leih,

I am a general surgeon so maybe I can help.

Thyroid cancer in general has a very good prognosis in about 80% of cases. This is one of the cancers that is curable in majority of cases. Patients get to live 20-30 years without any problems or recurrence. However, I am just generalizing so technically,. we have to base it individually. A lot of factors play a role in its prognosis like the stage, age, etc.

Radio active iodine ablation (RAIA) as the name implies, uses radioactive iodine to destroy or ablate remaining minute or microscopic cancer cells not seen by the naked eye. this is to ensure that no cancer cells are left.

Depression may be due to your knowledge that you have cancer but moreover, it may be because you did not understand fully the exact status of your ailment, its prognosis and what to expect.

I cant answer those questions without the history and all other things that were done. the best thing is for you to go back to your surgeon and ask all that you need to know as well as other concerns.

i hope this helps.

:)
  • Thanks.

My attending physician is my endocrinologist. My surgeon was the on who made the mistake of telling us it is not, only for my mom to find out by accident that according to the lab report it is.

I need to know how the radioactive iodine can affect my bodily functions after? Would i be feeling weak? The doctor has given me a lot of restrictions but says I will be back to normal. Will that be immediate?

Thanks for whatever it is you can share. Thank you. Will be confined by Monday.
  • what are the symptoms of this type of cancer?

i hope you got well. just hold on to your faith.
    Thanks.

My attending physician is my endocrinologist. My surgeon was the on who made the mistake of telling us it is not, only for my mom to find out by accident that according to the lab report it is.

I need to know how the radioactive iodine can affect my bodily functions after? Would i be feeling weak? The doctor has given me a lot of restrictions but says I will be back to normal. Will that be immediate?

Thanks for whatever it is you can share. Thank you. Will be confined by Monday.

Sorry Leih for the mistake. Skin Doc is my wife and I accidentally answered your thread using her name. She's a dermatologist and Im the general surgeon.

Anyway, radioactive iodine is generally well-tolerated by patients with no major side effects. I am not too familiar with the procedure and I guess your endocrinologist can best explain it to you. Just an idea though, its not like the typical "radiotherapy" that we usually hear and fear. Here, you take a radioactive iodine capsule. The usual side effects if ever, are the dryness of mouth and temporary impairment of taste. This usually goess back to normal in a couple of weeks.

With regards to your diagnosis/misdiagnosis, I have a lot of questions that would maybe help us understand why your surgeon gave his impression/s but would be inappropriate. However, it is really the biopsy or histopathology results of the tumor that definitely says if it is cancer or not.

I am sure that your radioactive iodine ablation will do well. You just have to relax and not worry to much.

Good luck on Monday and God Bless!

• josephnkay wrote: »
    what are the symptoms of this type of cancer?

i hope you got well. just hold on to your faith.

The most common symptom here is an anterior neck mass. In the Philippines, goiter is very common and we might think of it as such. Hoarseness of voice, difficulty in swallowing are also possible symptoms although not always the case. Usually its just the neck mass. The best thing to do here is to get a sample by needle aspiration. Of course you should consult a doctor for this.

• Hi...I'm a medical oncologist, so I hope I can enlighten you with some of your concerns.

I guess the first thing that you have to consider is what type of thyroid cancer do you have. If it is papillary or follicular, it is highly treatable and responsive to treatment, and it is usually curable. There are other types (anaplastic), wherein you have to be more aggressive in your treatment approach.

There are several things you have to know about your thyroid tissue which was taken out...
    1. type of thyroid cancer (follicular...papillary...anaplastic)
    2. size of the tumor
    3. does the thyroid tumor extend beyond the thyroid and involves the surrounding structures
    4. does it involve the organs outside the thyroid
    5. what is your serum thyroglobulin levels after the surgery

In a nutshell...a total thyroidectomy is usually done to remove the tumor, with a follow up of radioactive iodine (I131).

But again, the treatment is not standardized to all patients with thyroid tumor

You have to tailor it based on the stuff I enumerated earlier, plus your age, your sex, if you had several tumors in a lobe...etc...

Your depression or mod swings could be due to the changing levels of your thyroid hormone after the surgery.

Anyway...hope this helps...but you have to tell your doctor your concerns. Para they can help you out the best way possible

• Doc J and gingin thanks. joephnkay thanks for dropping by.

The mistake came from the fact that I had my surgery before Christmas. The laboratory people, or the one who is supposed to release the results took a week off. When I visited my surgeon to find out the results, he just said that he called the laboratory beforehand and ask for the results and said that it is not cancer. We asked for the report but to no avail.... her secretary did not want to follow it up and did not even answer my mom when she requested that she called the lab since my endocrinologist was demanding for it. Eventually, owing to the verbal communication we received and the difficulty of trying to get the results (I tried to get it myself, but to no avail claiming that the person to release it was on leave), we left and went to the endocrinologist with nothing but just the word of the surgeon.

I was happy living my life after. I had previous spine surgery as well and thanks to some pain that I felt on my lower back, my mom went to visit my other doctor. By accident, she went back to the surgeon hoping to get the results. She got the surprise of her life when she saw the word papillary cancer written on that piece of paper. She asked him immediately what happened and all he said was that the whole thyroid gland was removed so nothing would have changed.

My endocrinologist was the one who told us that I need to take the radioactive iodine treatment. It is papillary cancer, the size I think is close to two (not sure), other than that, I do not have much information. Perhaps, my mind went blank when it was presented to me.

I found out yesterday that he issued me this drug, lithium carbonate....to take for 14 days. He did not explain to me what it was for which was odd because he usually does. When I researched it over the net, I found it was for manic-depression and I haven't said a word to him yet about my depression. I was surprised though. I think I can talk more to him when I am already alone in the hospital... but thanks for giving me some assurance that I will be fine after. It means a lot to me....I need to calm myself before the big day.

Thank you very much and God Bless.
  • Papillary cancer is one of the most favorable cancers in the thyroid gland. A great majority of patients are cured. There are of course some factors to consider but papillary cancer in general is very good.

If you dont mind, how old are you?

• I am only 30. . .
  • agreed. Some doctors would even rationalized;
    if they were ever destined and given the choice of a cancer, they would choose papillary cancer. Prognosis is very very favorable.
    I am only 30. . .

Leih,

It seems that you are in a very good age to have such disease. Patients below the age of 45 with papillary cancer have a very good prognosis in general. The worst stage you can get is stage 2 for your age and as we know, cancer staging in general is usually up to stage 4. Of course you have to confirm all these with your doctors but I really feel that yours has a very good prognosis.

• Tjmd wrote: »
    agreed. Some doctors would even rationalized;
    if they were ever destined and given the choice of a cancer, they would choose papillary cancer. Prognosis is very very favorable.

You are right about that Tjmd. I was supposed to say that before.

• hi there! i am not a doctor but thought i'd share this with you. an aunt of mine was diagnosed with thyroid cancer at the age of 50+ eleven years ago. she underwent treatment (sorry i am not privy to the type of treatment she underwent but i have heard her talking about radiation and cobalt therapy when she was sick). she's been cancer-free for ten years now and very healthy. just hang in there. ;)
  • Hi everyone. Thanks. Am back home now...have to rest before another week before I can go back to my regular life. thanks everyone.
  • you are most welcome :)
  • hi everyone

i have a question...i'm 24 yrs old diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer with no lymp node invasion..i belive it's Stage 1 (2cm)...i have undergone near total thyrodectomy (that i thought was supposed to be a 'total thyrodectomy' since the FNAB result was follicular neoplasm).. the surgery was Oct of last year...and the result was nga papillary thyroid cancer

now my endo suggested that i need to go back to my surgeon para daw maalis pa yun part ng thyroid na natira..i was so hesitant for another surgery...the surgeon then suggested that we can do 2 RAI treatments (with 6 months interval)

now i am off meds (euthyrox) and waiting for my TSH to go up and be ready for RAI...but i'm a bit worried that it's been almost a year after my surgery tapos hindi pa naalis lahat ng thyroid cells ko

i read that may bagong procedure...thyrogen para mataas ang TSH..wala naman sinabi ang Endo ko about this..pero i would like to ask if anybody here knows a good endo or (oncologist if needed) na pwede ko hingan ng 2nd opinio

i'm getting tired of waiting na din and gusto ko sana magkaroon na ng development ang treatment ko... @[email protected]

thanks
  • ^Alanis,

You can go to Dr. Jimmy Aragon. He holds clinic in Makati Med. Just ask them for his schedule. Magaling and very kind. Explains everything well.

Good luck.
  • ^ thanks Doctor_J...i'll check...tamang tama Makati Med malapit sa amin
  • Hi everyone!

Can you please enlighten me regarding the post-operations/ treatments/ maintenance after a total thyroidectomy? Im 24 yrs old, had my operation last month June2008 for papillary carcinoma and currently recovering from the said operation. Well, some of my concerns right now are the ff:

--My voice was normal few hours after surgery but it gradually change from mild to severe hoarseness. My endo told me that it is better to have a very hoarse voice after the operation, because it only means that my surgeon did an intense checking of my thyroid gland, she added in some cases the voice improve after a month or two. I'm worried because I heard some had permanent hoarseness.
    --My surgeon informed me that I would feel back pain after the surgery because my neck was elevated during the operation. I was wondering how come I still feel that terrible back pain almost everyday?
    --Based on the biopsy, my right thyroid lobe has the papillary carcinoma, 2.2 cm diameter. And my isthmus and left lobe are negative for tumors. As per my endo, we would be monitoring my anti/thyroglobulin, TSH level before my RAI treatment, since I dont have my thyroid anymore,I will be experiencing symptoms of hypothyroidism. Some of which are muscle cramps, joint pains, cold intolerance, I got tired easily, mild headaches, difficulty to breathe AND Im beginning to GAIN MORE WEIGHT and started to feel bloated and constipated. Can I take some medicine to help my metabolism?? (e.i. dulcolax). Six pounds were already added on my weight,some says they had problems getting back into shape even if they take the proper dose of med.. How much more weight would I expect? 10lbs more, maybe 20?
    -- May I also know how much would it cost for a RAI treatment? Is 3 days good enough for my confinement? Is it true that I need to lessen contacts to everyone for 2months or so? Would it affect my fertility?
    And lastly, what is the name of the medicine I would take? How much would it cost? Is it readily available in Mercury drugs or other pharmacies?
    Please bare with me if Im over reacting right now. I am really worried and I badly need answers.. This health problem stresses me a lot.

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.. Thanks you in advance...

GOD BLESS