Home PEx Campus University of Santo Tomas

UST Law's performance in the 2006 BAR

Much has been said in the news and in the legal circles regarding the recent 2006 BAR. How have our Thomasian Baristers performed so far?

Comments

• UST i think has more or less 85% passing rate, this is still unconfirmed.
  • Krazie_boneKrazie_bone PEx Rookie ⭐
    A relatively good statistic, but considering that UST Law graduates have once again been scarce in the top 10 of Bar passers for four years already (since Arlene Maneja's topnotcher finish in 2003), there is still plenty left to be desired.

Nevertheless, I extend my congratulations to the new Thomasian lawyers! Good luck to Batch 2k7 and 2k8 Bar Examinees (some are former colleagues and batchmates from the Faculty of Arts and Letters)
  • By the way, congratulations to the new batch of Thomasian lawyers. A good passing rate is still better compared to landing in the top ten but having a dismal overall passing rate.
    It is quite frustrating that since Arlene Maneja topped the bar several years ago, no Thomasian has landed in the top again.
    Here's hoping for the succeeding batches though.
  • By the way, congratulations to the new batch of Thomasian lawyers. A good passing rate is still better compared to landing in the top ten but having a dismal overall passing rate.
    It is quite frustrating that since Arlene Maneja topped the bar several years ago, no Thomasian has landed in the top again.
    Here's hoping for the succeeding batches though.
  • clawed_outclawed_out PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I remember the article published that made Faculty of Civil Law look not so bright before at the Varsitarian a few years ago.

UST needs to do something. I may side with the V.
  • AltweggAltwegg PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Congratulations to the passers. I am wishing for another Arlene Maneja in the near future.
  • If the passing rate of the Faculty of Civil Law for the 2006 bar exams is around mid 80's, that's ok I guess. But ofcourse, the faculty should aspire a near perfect, if not perfect passing rate. But I read in another thread in another section here that the actual practice of the law will be the one to determine if one is a good lawyer, or a great lawyer. Long has passed since the days of our 4 Philippine presidents and the countless supreme court justices that we had that made waves in the legal circles. The last chief justice we had was Chief Justice Andres Narvaza, and so far, Alfredo Benipayo has been the last Thomasian alumni who had made waves in government.
  • clawed_outclawed_out PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Is it because that we're contented with "oh we're decent. we have a good passing percentage" mentality?

Or there's not much talent in either the faculty or the students. issue: selectivity.

It's better to have a freshman class of 30 students than 250 ending up with 30 graduates. (just my opinion)

That sucks, if that's the case.
  • clawed_out wrote: »
    Is it because that we're contented with "oh we're decent. we have a good passing percentage" mentality?

Or there's not much talent in either the faculty or the students. issue: selectivity.

It's better to have a freshman class of 30 students than 250 ending up with 30 graduates. (just my opinion)

That sucks, if that's the case.

I think that is how they do it in the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery. Student selectivity is very stringent, but whoever gets admitted is taken cared of by the faculty. Ofcourse, a lot stumble along the way and it couldn't be helped, and yet the faculty graduates very competitive graduates at par with "the best medical school south of the pasig river", as what professors in the faculty used to say.

In general, I think student selectivity would have its limitations if majority of those law applicants have already entered the Diliman, Rockwell, and Mendiola campuses. Its how they mold the would be lawyers into great lawyers that would matter I guess.

Its a long process. Having a "decent" if not excellent passing rate is something. But it should not end there. The next step is molding our "good" graduates into "great" ones.
  • zacharaiolsenzacharaiolsen PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    wala bang magpopost ng statistics rito?

ok lng yun, sa oath taking, UST lawyers pa rin naman pinaka marami diba? ahihi...