Home PEx Lifestyle Home and Garden

Housekeeping

I'm trying to improve my housekeeping skills. I do NOT want a maid. Dadalawa na lang kami ng asawa ko, mag-m-maid pa? I think that is extremely self-indulgent.

Anyway, I'm starting this thread hoping to ask other people how they do it.

Are you 'clean as you go' or 'stick to a cleaning schedule'?

I'm currently cleaning every Saturday am, which I find is such a waste of a good weekend..

Comments

• heymikeyheymikey PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I have a very loose schedule that I follow only when I feel like cleaning.

I do my laundry once every two weeks (when the washing machine gets full).
    I wash the dishes once a week (it usually takes this amount of time to fill up my dishwasher).
    I vacuum the carpeted floor and mop the tiled floors once a month or when I'm expecting visitors.
    I only clean my bathroom (toilet, sink, bathtub) only when the stains show up.

That is the extent of my housekeeping ability.
  • mariadamsmariadams PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Disposable Cleaning Wipes are part of my shopping budget.

bathroom wipes - to quickly wipe off stains and dirt in bathroom/toilet
    floor wipes - great for mopping floors
    furniture wipes - against dust in furnitures, dirt in PC, etc

When the clutter gets too much, i gather all the things (that don't belong there) into one big box, bang them all in there, and when all rooms in the house are cleared, i start sorting out what's inside the box and put each thing to where they belong... a lot of them go to the rubbish bin though!
  • Thanks heymikey and mariadams!

I'm very dependent on disposable wipes as well. But I just use the multi-purpose one. May malaking difference ba ang furniture sa bathroom at sa floor? Anyhow, seems to work fine for me.

We have laminated floor all throughout the apartment and my current headache is my husband's shoes as it leaves skid marks all over the place. Hm, maybe I could sneak it to a shoe repair shop and have it resoled :lol:

What about mold in the bathroom? Which product do you use?
    hello chang

- i also use multi-purpose as furniture wipes
    - bathroom wipes have stronger disinfectant quality
    - floor wipes, when attached to a sweeper mop system, is very easy to use, really clean floor stains on my terracotta tiles

scratches on your laminated floor? tell hubby to remove his shoes :lol: how about applying bees wax on the floor to give it extra protection?

bathroom mold? before i go to bed, i spurt a diluted solution of chlorox into the grouting.. the next day, i brush it with JIF.

hey! i think you are taking cleanliness so seriously! loosen up! :bop:
  • :lol: bordering on ocd na ba? di naman, just feel there's a more efficient way of doing things than what i'm currently doing..

thanks for the tips!
    naku, napahiya ko yata si chang doon ah !

okay lang! tanong ka pa..
    Para din naman sa kaalaman nating lahat yan eh. Baka may mga tips pa diyan ang iba na puede'ng ibahagi sa atin. *okay*
  • chang wrote: »
    :lol: bordering on ocd na ba? di naman, just feel there's a more efficient way of doing things than what i'm currently doing....

try to breakdown the tasks by schedule.. say monthly? ( e.g. change curtains, clean windows, cabinets, etc) bi-monthly? (e.g. defrost the fridge, pantry inventory, closet cleaning, etc.) weekly? ( e.g. change linens, towels, floor mats; iron clothes. etc) bi-weekly? (clean the bathroom, dust / wipe the furnitures, do the laundry, wax the floor ) daily? ( sweep and mop the floor, clean the br/ kitchen area / sala / bathroom; throw the garbage.) it's basically up to you to plan what tasks to do, just be ready with your cleaning stuffs. mahal pa yang cleansing wipes, sa furnitures mo na lang gamitin. kung panlinis lang pwede na ordinary liquid/powder cleansers, tapos pranela kahit yung mura lang. always work from top to bottom from dusting the ceiling to cleaning the cabinets, drawers, wall, sink tas pag malinis na lahat saka na yung floor para hindi paulit-ulit. you can also simplify your cleaning routine and de-clutter your place by organizing your stuffs by using plastic boxes / containers that can be easily place inside the cabinets then just put labels on each divider/drawer that way your hubby knows where to get his stuffs and hopefully where to put them back.. hope this helps. :)
  • mariadams wrote: »
    naku, napahiya ko yata si chang doon ah !

okay lang! tanong ka pa..
    Para din naman sa kaalaman nating lahat yan eh. Baka may mga tips pa diyan ang iba na puede'ng ibahagi sa atin. *okay*

not at all! am a self-confessed domestic goddess wannabe :bop:

nanay_ni_sinta, fab tips! will try them out.

i'm currently trying out a tip saying to do some picking up before you go to sleep and before you leave the house. seemed to work so far. plus the husband sort of noticed my efforts and started to do some housework without my prodding :eek:
    Chang, i wonder, British ba hubby mo? the fact that he wears his shoes inside the house....hehehe!!! pareho tayo ng problema :bop:
    I found these tips in a Pinoy forum:

Cleaning Tips

For more effective dishwashing, add a few tablespoons of vinegar along with the dishwashing detergent when washing dishes. The vinegar cuts the grease and leaves dishes sparkling.

To clean up spills in your oven, sprinkle the spills immediately with salt. When the oven has cooled, brush away the burnt-on food with a damp sponge.

To disinfect smelly sponges, wash sponge thoroughly, then microwave it while it is wet, for a short period. When you see steam from the sponge, the bacteria in the sponge will be dead. Remove carefully, it will be hot! Wash the sponge thoroughly before use. **Make sure the sponge has no metal components!**

To remove hard-water and lime build-up in a teapot or kettle, pour in two cups of vinegar and bring to a boil. Let simmer for about 10 minutes, then rinse well.

To remove mineral deposits in a tea pot or burnt spots on a coffee pot, put some ice cubes, cut-up lemon, and salt with a tad water and swish around and let sit overnight.

To whiten an old stained sink , poor a half cup of salt in it and then scrub it with a lemon. Let it stand for a few minutes and rinse.

To remove skid marks on linoleum rub the spot with toothpaste before washing the floor.

To keep your plastic containers from getting stained from tomato based foods, rub the inside with vegetable oil before placing the food in the container.

Kitchen surfaces: Mix in spray bottle, 1 part ammonia to 3 parts water. Or try diluted bleach solution in a spray bottle. It will remove stains AND disinfect.

Removing kitchen and food odors: Soak pure vanilla on a cotton ball and place in a saucer. Put the saucer in the car or refrigerator to remove odors. Keep cotton ball out of reach of children as it contains some alcohol.

Odor producing mold and bacteria in garbage cans: sprinkle 1/2 cup Borax in the bottom of the garbage can.

Cleaning coffee maker: Pour straight vinegar into it as if you are making the coffee, no filter is need. Turn coffee maker on as if you were making a pot of coffee. Repeat this with a new batch of vinegar until it runs clear of calcium deposits.
  • mariadams wrote: »
    I found these tips in a Pinoy forum:

To clean up spills in your oven, sprinkle the spills immediately with salt. When the oven has cooled, brush away the burnt-on food with a damp sponge.

Aha! The answer to my current dilemma. Was about to post a question for this. Thanks mariadams! *okay*

Naku, my hubby is rice-loving and all Pinoy. Medyo makulit nga lang at laging nakakalimutang magpunas ng sapatos before trekking inside the flat :rolleyes: hehehe..
  • moonstermoonster PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    wow mariadams, u sound like an expert in housekeeping. siguro OC ka rin tulad ko.

chang: ako din, i dont like getting a maid. dalawa lang din kami plus our 10mo old baby. im the "clean as you go" type. kaso lang baliktad, hubby stays home w/ the baby and i go to work but i still do the laundry almost every other day para di matambak. and i always remind hubby na wag na hayaan matambak hugasin sa sink. After eating, hugas agad. :D well, so far ok pa naman lahat.. ewan ko lang when the time comes that my lil boy can walk na! :D
  • moonster wrote: »
    wow mariadams, u sound like an expert in housekeeping. siguro OC ka rin tulad ko.

chang: ako din, i dont like getting a maid. dalawa lang din kami plus our 10mo old baby. im the "clean as you go" type. kaso lang baliktad, hubby stays home w/ the baby and i go to work but i still do the laundry almost every other day para di matambak. and i always remind hubby na wag na hayaan matambak hugasin sa sink. After eating, hugas agad. :D well, so far ok pa naman lahat.. ewan ko lang when the time comes that my lil boy can walk na! :D

hay, yan rin ang gusto ko sana. clean as you go.. kaso..ah, erm, hirap eh! :rotflmao:

well, it will definitely be more difficult with a toddler in the house. but i suppose the positives far outweigh the negative :)
    chang and moonster

i successfully did this last weekend!!

while hubby was still sleeping (i wake up earlier than him saturdays),...
    - i went to wash the previous night's dishes, still had time left to quickly clean the kitchen (with my magical wipes of course!) and while he was still snoring, squeezed in the cleaning of the bath/toilet.

while he was away to have a haircut...
    - i did the vacuuming (he hates the noise of this machine)

while we watched TV in the evening..
    - i did the ironing infront of the tv so we could still enjoy the show together
  • :rotflmao: uyyy buti nalang at may thread na ganito....ask ko lang, meron bang odorless na chlorox? asthmatic kasi kami ng hubby ko and very sensitive sa mga amoy nang kahit ano....:mecry:

in my case, lagi lang naka socks hubby ko pag nasa bahay, kaya sa laundry ako medyo hirap (magpaputi ng white socks).:lol:
    Ryuusagi, instead of chlorox, ibabad mo yung mga socks sa Ariel powder detergent! *okay*
    magiging super puti yan kinabukasan! huwag lang gamitin sa mga colored...
  • i'm really learning a lot :)

ang sinusubukan kong imaster ay making sure that the sink is always clean after meals. so far, ok naman. plus waking up to an orderly kitchen is a good way to start the day.

so far heto ang aking routine:
    - always leave the kitchen clean
    - do my laundry while preparing dinner
    - pick up before going to sleep and before leaving the house
    - the rest, i still do during the weekend

mariadams, naku ironing. if it's possible to hate a household chore e heto na yun. i feel so bogged down just looking at all the clothes that need ironing. pero ganun e, can't go to work all crumpled :)
    chang, nasa priorities kasi yan eh....hubby comes home tired and good quality time together takes the lead. (instead of leaving him alone just to wash the plates, hehehe!!).

yung laundry naman eh walang hirap kasi throw mo lang siya sa waching machine, puede mo nang iwanan.

ironing... pareho tayo diyan.. my most hated chore! but i have learned how to take it in stride. each morning, i just iron the shirt he wears for that day, but if i have the extra time on a weekend, i iron 5 shirts for 5 days. with the rest, like sheets, etc... i don't iron them anymore! kapag maganda naman ang sampay, di na sila lukot!
  • hello sa mga kasambahay?????!!!! :D
  • hay naku!!! laging magulo haws nmen...to think a 2 plang kme sa haws,,,hubby kasi parang sawa kung sa nagpaliut dun iwan ung dame nya tas meron man kmeng laundry basket kung bket sa sahig nilalagay ung mga damet nya puor puti pa naman..

pero sa householf chores hati kme...pang pang umaga sya panggabi ako..sa morning pagdating ko sobrang kalat ng house sao linis muna before slip then pagdating nya luto na sya so pagging ko kain nkme tas pasok nko sya nman wash ng dishes...weekly and laundry and general cleaning