Home PEx Business and Careers Banking and Finance

Paano palalaguin ang US$ at Euro

orangepinkorangepink PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
edited March 2019 in Banking and Finance
How can I let a $100 grow considerably? I know I can't earn a million with that amount but I just want it to grow as compared to the annual interest in a savings account.

I've heard of ETFs. How does that work? Which company allows me to open an account with a $100 minimum balance? I tried reading about it in the internet pero ndi ko tlga maintindihan. Can somebody explain it to me in a very simple way. I hope someone can help me out. If you have any ideas aside from ETFs, I'm open to it. Thanks!

Comments

• froshie1froshie1 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    hi guys into dollar and euro currency investment, where can I buy cheap dollar/euro? may nakita ako sa PSBank pero baka may mas mura pa sa PSBank, hindi taga. Meron ba kayong alam na mura at mga inside trade?

Kamusta ang mga naginvest dito sa Euro and Dollar? Ok ba? Maganda ba itong investment in the long run like for example 10 years kang nagiinvest dito oks ba ito? Kakasimula ko lang sa dollar kasi last July at medyo baguhan pa ako sa ganitong laro. Ang next na gusto kong itry Euro naman.
  • You could buy dollars from Czarina money exchanger. They have branches along Valero St. and in Makati Cinema Square. You could also buy from SM, but I'm not sure which is cheaper. Banks require you to have a plane ticket before buying dollars from them, it's their SOP.
  • Invest euro with ALFM Euro Fund. But their interest is quite low....beats the banks' rate though. BPI has euro savings deposit
  • KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    Another important issue is what you are going to do with Euros once you have acquired them. Deposit them in a bank? Interest rates are 1-2%. If you are buying in anticipation of exchange rate gains, here are some numbers to put things in perspective: when the Euro was born on 01/01/99, the exchange rate was $1.20/€. Yesterday the rate was $1.2776 (6.4% appreciation over almost 7 years).
  • lumalakas peso lately kaya bagsak mga dollar holdings ko. :(
    ayun, thanks mga peeps sa reply. paano KD kung ang goal mo naman eh pang long term? umaasa kasi ako na after 20 years mataas na ang value ng dolyar na hawak ko.

to KD/All baka may naiisip kayo na hindi ko naiisip?
  • team slickteam slick PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Hmm froshie1 if ure more into long term goals, it a shameless plug, but i would advise you to go for mutual funds or utif which are dollar denominated. Yes, like what KD has stated, buying the usd is one thing, but what to do with it is another. If short term lang ang needs mo like 6 months to a year, maybe go for bank deposits kanalang but if ure thinking 20 yrs or so, then why not go for mutual funds, the rates are definitely higher than the bank and of course u still retain the potential of the dollar appreciating. Take note also that you might need to consider the dollar depreciating as well. If ure going to ask which bank offers the best mutual funds, then i would suggest you take a look at the prospectus since most of it are opinionated anyways
    ayun oo, forgot to mention na hindi ko ito ilalagay sa TDs lang.. sa ngayon may mutual fund ako at TD.

grabe wala palang one sure step or one sure way para magkaron ng maraming pera. marami kang dapat pagisipan kung saan ikaw nababagay.
  • ^^^
    I agree so be sure to research on the mutual fund/UITF you're planning to go into before giving them your hard earned money.
  • KuyaDanny wrote:
    Another important issue is what you are going to do with Euros once you have acquired them. Deposit them in a bank? Interest rates are 1-2%. If you are buying in anticipation of exchange rate gains, here are some numbers to put things in perspective: when the Euro was born on 01/01/99, the exchange rate was $1.20/€. Yesterday the rate was $1.2776 (6.4% appreciation over almost 7 years).

The Euro is manipulated just like any currency but IT IS the alternative currency when the dollar plunges. And that is just a matter of time. I look at all timeframes in trading- intraday, daily and weekly from 5-min to 2 years. Gold did not move significantly after the 1980 top. We are trading gold because it is moving now and manipulation is losing its power. Euro is the same way with manipulation from most central banks of the world. It is not wise to base the future performance from the past because the situation and fundamentals can change. We are trading Euro becuae it is moving technically to the upside. Not a straight line but any child can see.

The key factor to watch is that the US dollar is no longer backed by gold nor is it managed wisely by the feds nor is the US economic scenario the same. Curses after curses with housing bubble, deficits in all fronts, excessive debt loads nationally and individually, terrorist attacks and threats, natural calamities. The US Dollar is destined to fall and fall hard. With that scenario, the general stock indices/bonds will collapse. Subsequently, interest rate (as bonds fall) will rise which will stiple businesses, housing, lending. Add the inflationary effects of the commodity boom and another hurricane/earthquake or another terrorist attack, the picture is not very healthy. If the people reading this are getting scared, BE AFRAID! Get out of the dollar accounts and open Euro accounts- they have enough gold reserve and wisdom to keep them. Understand the scenario is beyond any solution anymore that is not painful. In fact, the next US prudent president (if we ever get one) will do what is necessary and plunge the country into a GREAT DEPPRESSION and take out the excesses. This is normal business cycle but the feds have taken upon themselves to delay and deceive for political gain and selfish financial control. The longer the manipulation, the deeper the fall.

The die is cast. Protect yourselves and get out of the US dollar and dollar-denominated investments. Like in the days of Noah, the Ark was built BEFORE the flood. Only the wise and humble survived. :)
  • I believe it's the right time to invest USD right now since it has fallen from P56 to right now P49 (nov2006), if you need a foriegn exchange our rural bank has that service which gives you good exchange rates! Pm me I can help facilitate on it.
  • paseojen wrote: »
    I believe it's the right time to invest USD right now since it has fallen from P56 to right now P49 (nov2006), if you need a foriegn exchange our rural bank has that service which gives you good exchange rates! Pm me I can help facilitate on it.

ha-ha Why do people think it is a good time to buy when something is falling when what they really want is for it to go up??? Am a trader and it is normal for me to average UP, not down. The US dollar is not going down in a straight line. We are using these moments of upside reversal to buy more Euros, more gold, more silver. We are accumulating using LONG-TERM charts. To us, when the dollar is up, it is a gift.

I understand you are in the business. You should not let your self-interest be your priority in life. God knows even the number of hair in our head. Certainly, God knows our deepest motives. :)
  • mac_bolan00mac_bolan00 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    strange. averaging down is a long-term investment strategy. buying when it's going up and selling when when it's falling is short-term trading. i'm buying right now. been buying heavily since july.
  • although many traders are very pessimistic on the dollar, i think that should be a long-term view. short-term (few years), there's a lot of govt (central banks) whose policy is to keep the dollar strong (China and Japan). They are de facto manipulators so i would not say that buying dollars at this point is a no-no. but long-term the euros, gold, and silvers are better bets.
  • strange. averaging down is a long-term investment strategy. buying when it's going up and selling when when it's falling is short-term trading. i'm buying right now. been buying heavily since july.

Averaging up is normal for trading professionals. The reason is we have a very accurate entry points (2 decimal places) using strong trending multiple moving averages (plus other indicators). We enter (on long trades either swing or position) at the exact moment the retrace makes a higher high (reversal) off a confirmed support level. We will continually buy (higher prices) at oversold and continually sell (half of position) at lower low off oversold. This is a combination tactic that creates income stream and also increasing positions for wealth generation.

Yes, our Euro positions and other foreign currency mix (including Phil Peso) is increasing as long as the pattern exist. We sell half position again @ oversold lower low generating short-term profits while half is still in play. As long as the long-term trend is not violated, Euro will continually generate a buy signal at higher prices (on continuation of bull trend which is still intact though congesting). Example, buy 200 FXE (Euro ETF) @ 125, sell half at overbought around 130. Then buy again another 200 shares when we get a higher high off supports. FXE currently have a congestion box around 125-130. We think it will break ABOVE that congestion in the near future. IF it breaks the lower congestion, we'll be OUT completely. So far, it has worked really good with dividends to boot. The Euro is currently overbought technically so we'll sell again at the first lower low if and when it is generated. We'll trade the congestion pattern 125-130 until it is no longer. We think Euro will break to the upside because of overwhelming fundamentals but the markets don't care what we think. he-he We are traders. We follow the trend until it is broken. :)
  • altairaltair PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    froshie1 wrote: »
    ayun, thanks mga peeps sa reply. paano KD kung ang goal mo naman eh pang long term? umaasa kasi ako na after 20 years mataas na ang value ng dolyar na hawak ko.

to KD/All baka may naiisip kayo na hindi ko naiisip?

I think that just keeping money in the bank is not really a good idea.
    You will lose in the long run.

If you have cash and you do not want to use it, you just put it in the bank in a currency with good fundamentals to possibly shield you from extreme devaluation, but not to profit from it.

Do you still remember the time when San Miguel Corporation divested a lot of its big investments (CCBPI, Nestle) and they were sitting on a lot of cash? It was actually a problem for management.

If you really want to profit from currencies, you should do trading (you know, the one where you only shell out money for the margin) and try to predict the movements.

Pilipino_300.png
    Down.png
    spain_japs_300.png
  • physical trading ng currencies mahirap kumita, e.g. buying $ or euro or peso sa money changer or bank then papalitan kapag may konting kita. the spreads will kill you. sa peso, at least .80 cents buy/sell na. pero yung forex trading iba where one can trade on margins and the profit/loss is recognized by the number of pips (yung mga decimals like 50 pips yung from 1.2800 to 1.2850). these pips have corresponding degree of $ weight on them. A $10k long against the euro (in this pair u r long $, short euro), the $ value of 1 pip is $1. So if u bought $10k and shorted euro at 1.2800 at umakyat to sa 1.2850, talo ka ng $50. Complicated knti ang forex trading.
  • Just got back from the Las Vegas Trader's Expo. There were many FOREX companies all offering small capital to open an account($200- $2000). They also have free real time charts that you can configure w/ studies. Some also offer Platinum Visa card for access to your money. They'll also give kinda cash rebates if you trade a lot. With FOREX carrytrades, you can just leave the position and access the income with it. Some have AI (artificial intelligence) that predicts the currency move a day before. It was pretty close but I have to actually see this in real time action. Some have software that give triggers for buy/sell decisions. It was pretty close to my trading style. The triggers like a higher high off a doji or hammer is neat with sell trigger at lower low off overbought off resistance like prior high or 200MA overhead. I can have my little nephew to trade it. he-he (just kidding) Technology never ceases to amaze me.

Automated trading was also very interesting. You can program your parameters for entry/exit and the computer scans the market real-time, pick the candidates then TRADE THEM the whole day up and down! With manual trades, you may get 8-15 candidates with your scan but I certainly cannot trade all of them. With this system, you can actually trade all and you don't even need to be there!! Scary ha? They have all the studies I use for my manual trades. It certainly was a lot faster than me in executing all trades simultaneously. If you want to trade without emotion, this works perfectly. hehe Unfortunately, it was only available for stocks. They said they are working on a system for FOREX.

There is, of course, one drawback. If you don't know how to trade technically and just use the built-in strategies, you can get lucky or be wiped out and not know why! You still need trading skill to program the system and adjust it with the changing market conditions. But while I was hanging around the computer screens, I saw a chef, a commodity trader, a teacher, a chemist, etc all making money with this automated trading system and they don't know why!? Buyer beware. :)
  • euro/$ target 1.44 near term
  • Nice move on the Euro!!! It is currently looking like a possible evening star on the weekly candle chart but we have just begun. he-he Been waiting for 1.30 for a long time. The dollar index support is around 80. If we break that, we are in uncharted territory and a possible quick decline to 40. But don't hold your breath! ha-ha If you still think the US dollar can be saved by the Asian banks, think again. I wonder if Paulsen and Bernanke know how to beg. ;)

We are using any dead cat bounce on the dollar to add to Euros, foreign currency mix, gold, silver. That is getting to be a rare event. :)