Doubts About Holistic Dentistry

Twist3dTwist3d Totally sick PExer
Tanong lang po, effective ba talaga ang mga treatment na sina-suggest ng mga holisitc dentists? Kasi two months ago, nagpunta ako sa isang holistic dentist para ipatingin yung TMJ ko na sumasakit.

Ayon, sinukatan nila ako para sa isang dental appliance or splint na susuotin ko for 6 months. Tapos therapy sa clinic nila every week which involves hot compress to both right and left TMJ's, intraoral masssage and electroacupuncture yata yun na sinasabi nila na mag-babalance daw ng electrical something sa katawan ko.

Tapos a few days ago, sabi daw nung dentist na mag-undergo ako ng quantum biofeedback (?) para daw madiagnose niya yung ibang sakit ko na maaaring dulot ng TMJ pain ko. Sabi rin niya na kailangan daw alisin lahat ng amalgam fillings ko. Tapos ie-extract daw niya yung root-canal treated na mga ngipin ko para daw maiwasan ang heart disease, insomnia, at iba pang sakit at para rin daw mabalance yung 'energy' ng katawan ko.

Tanong ko lang po, totoo ba ang mga pinagsasabi ng dentist ko sa akin? May scientific basis ba ang mga practices ng mga holistic dentists?

Thanks!

Comments

• froshie1froshie1 Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    di ako doc, pero when it comes to health eh hindi po ako naniniwala sa holistic healing. diyan napaaga ang buhay ng nanay ko eh.

kung hindi ako nagkakamali iyang holistic healing na yan hindi diretso tinitira ng doctor iyong sakit diba?
  • smilewarriorsmilewarrior Moderator PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ^Twist3d, if the amalgam fillings are intact and if the root canaled teeth do not show any signs of problems, they don't need to be removed.

You can have your amalgam fillings and root-canaled teeth examined by another dentist at another clinic to check whether they'll need management or not.

The splint (orthotic), and hot compress really can be used for Temporomandibular disorders, depending on the situation.

Biofeedback? Are they going to use an Electromyograph machine? I think they'll probably use some form of relaxation technique with you and monitor the response of your facial muscles. To be honest though, I'm not much of a fan of this technique.

I have no idea where this "holistic" dentistry" came from.
  • Misa HayaseMisa Hayase Member PExer
    Twist3d:
    Of course if you ask me, I would totally say that conventional dental practice is safe, root canals don't disrupt the flow of your chi, etc etc. It really depends on you whether you subscribe to the philosophy of holistic dentistry.
    The only reason I know of for not using amalgam is to limit the handling of pure or free mercury by healthworkers and dental products manufacturers.
  • doc gelodoc gelo a Perky Dentist PExer
    hi guys, a few days ago i had a talk with the founder of the Phil. Association of Functional Jaw Orthopedics and i asked him about this stuff, well believe it or not many asian dentists believe on this stuff, there was a journal report that occlusion, altered, defective and non functional occlusion caused by our tooth restorations, composites, amalgams, crowns,veneers,dentures and even physiological wear and tear of our teeth affects our body's physiology, how? well as we all know that occlusion is the foundation of our head, it supports our head in relation to our lower jaw, so once altered, the bite distributes an irregular force to our head, breaks into our sutures, i.e, parietal, temporal etc, thus affecting intercranial pressure causing imbalance in the flow of cerebrospinal fluids thus affects the brain function, sending synapses to our bodily organs then affecting our health, believe it or not i'm a reasonable person and i seldom believe theories but lately doing surgeries with foreign doctors, they keep on telling me that dental practice is indeed involving not in technological advancement but on research, japanese and other developed dental countries have been doing research on nano-technology, microbiology and microphysiology on how it would help dentistry...lets give it a thought if we believe this, but as i can see, papunta din tyo dun....going back to the basic structure and origin..

regarding amalgam? safe po yan as commented by many great researchers... the question is.. on how you restore the tooth back to its original state...hehehe
  • smilewarriorsmilewarrior Moderator PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ^Hi doc_gelo. Transmitting force from the teeth to the sutures of the skull? That's how a headgear works.

The part on whether these forces can reach the cerebrospinal fluid and affect brain function is a bit of a stretch to me.

While it is true that Japanese orthodontics (which focuses more on research) is very different from American orthodontics ( which focuses more on the clinical aspect of orthodontics) are very different from each other, I honestly don't think either of them will subscribe to what founder of the P.A.F.J.O. mentioned.

With the completion of the human genome project last 2003, the thrust of most if not all health care fields will be towards genetics, with emphasis on stem cell research, genetic markers for certain disorders and molecular medicine.
  • doc piodoc pio Member PExer
    FYI, there are a number of biological dentists being sued in the US for malpractice.
  • hi, am not a doc. this topic may be a decade old, nevertheless, this is with regards to your dentist wanting to remove your amalgam fillings. I only came across this article in a search for holistic dentists near or in Bacoor, Cavite. I have cancer and and want to detoxify my body which includes the removal of amalgam fillings. It's worth looking into: https://iaomt.org/wp-content/uploads/The-Case-Against-Amalgam.pdf

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file