Watch Lover's Club

Comments

• sd amboy wrote: »
    I know what you mean. I look at watch websites every day. Its such an adicting hobby! Do what I do. Justify your purchases by getting bonuses, raises and promotions at your job! *okay*

I know. I got a good bonus last month so I ended up getting the Carrera. I really like TAG HEUER watches, but now im also considering IWC or Omega for my next purchase. . .
  • sd amboysd amboy A true hybrid PExer
    I know. I got a good bonus last month so I ended up getting the Carrera. I really like TAG HEUER watches, but now im also considering IWC or Omega for my next purchase. . .

Depending on how much I want to spend on my next purchase, its either another ORIS or IWC for me. :D
  • -kt--kt- Member PExer
    hehe for me...maybe just a much cheaper one...for now....haha
  • I think we should put some watches that has price ranges. . .
    I think we should put some watches that has price ranges. . .

Good call. Here's my breakdown:

$100 - $1000 range

TISSOT, HAMILTON, ESQ, SEIKO, CITIZEN, MOVADO

$1000 - $3000 range

ORIS, OMEGA, TAG HEUER, LONGINES, RADO, BAUME ET MERCIER

$3000 - $10000

CARTIER, IWC, BREITLING, BVLGARI, PANERAI, CHOPARD, GLASHUTTE

$10000 - $$$$$$$

AUDEMARS PIGUET, A. LANGE & SOHNE, BLANCPAIN, BREGUET DEPUIS, JAEGER LE COULTRE, MAURICE LACROIX, PATEK PHILIPPE, ROLEX

Hows that? Feel free to add any brands that I might have missed. :)
    Good call. Here's my breakdown:

$100 - $1000 range

TISSOT, HAMILTON, ESQ, SEIKO, CITIZEN, MOVADO

$1000 - $3000 range

ORIS, OMEGA, TAG HEUER, LONGINES, RADO, BAUME ET MERCIER

$3000 - $10000

CARTIER, IWC, BREITLING, BVLGARI, PANERAI, CHOPARD, GLASHUTTE

$10000 - $$$$$$$

AUDEMARS PIGUET, A. LANGE & SOHNE, BLANCPAIN, BREGUET DEPUIS, JAEGER LE COULTRE, MAURICE LACROIX, PATEK PHILIPPE, ROLEX

Hows that? Feel free to add any brands that I might have missed. :)

$10000 - $$$$$$$

Frank muller, Chopard

$1000 - $3000 range

Hublot, Mont Blanc, Bell & Ross
    $10000 - $$$$$$$

Frank muller, Chopard

$1000 - $3000 range

Hublot, Mont Blanc, Bell & Ross

I don't know if we should really count Mont Blanc since they are a fine writing instrument maker who just happens to make a couple of watches. Its not really their primary business.
  • parkingboyparkingboy Non-Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Rolex is $3,500.00 and up.
    parkingboy wrote: »
    Rolex is $3,500.00 and up.

True, but the majority of their collection is close to the $10k level.
  • parkingboyparkingboy Non-Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    But we might give the impression that one has to have $10K to own a Rolex. The popular ones, Sub, Explorer and DJ are less than that but every 6 months there's a price increase. Hey are you PEXing from the office? That was a quick reply if you're in SD :)
    parkingboy wrote: »
    But we might give the impression that one has to have $10K to own a Rolex. The popular ones, Sub, Explorer and DJ are less than that but every 6 months there's a price increase. Hey are you PEXing from the office? That was a quick reply if you're in SD :)

Doesnt everyone PEX from the office? :lol:
  • de_veelishde_veelish Member PExer
    Freak here!!

Also, it hasn't been mentioned, there are two kinds of Automatics, Self and Manual.

I read watch magazines at bookstore, if interesting enough, i buy 'em.
    Fine watches needs maintenance, cleaning and polishing. This is best done by manufacturer's certified technician, most times it gets sent back to country of origin e.g. Switzerland.
    -kt- wrote: »
    that looks nice bro! but im more into kinda the sporty feel n look! hehe i was actually looking at the sportura range. are they good watches? tnx *okay*
    http://www.seikowatches.com/sportura/index.asp
    http://www.seikousa.com/Gallery.aspx?collectionId=2

If i remember right, automatic movement for Sportura won an award "OF THE YEAR" when released.

For ETA's, it's commonly use because it's the cheapest base (copyright) to incorporate. SOME need to know that ETA based watches are not equal, they differ from being engineered into timepieces. Varying power reserves, functions and reliabilty in some cases are some example. Some are engineered to get the highest certification.
    Query for all of you:

Do you buy from a certified retailer, online retailer, or another source? Why do you choose to buy from who you do buy from?
    sd amboy wrote: »
    Query for all of you:

Do you buy from a certified retailer, online retailer, or another source? Why do you choose to buy from who you do buy from?

I buy from authorized retailer, to keep intact the manufactures warranty. And if out of warranty, worry free of being turnaway for service.

Authorized dealers has some play in their pricing, it isn't advertised and will not be disclosed unless asked.
    de_veelish wrote: »
    I buy from authorized retailer, to keep intact the manufactures warranty. And if out of warranty, worry free of being turnaway for service.

Authorized dealers has some play in their pricing, it isn't advertised and will not be disclosed unless asked.

I have both from both. However, it seems the discounts you can get from online retailers can outweigh the manufacturers guarantee etc. Why? Most manufacturer warranties are two years. You are buying a high end swiss watch. It shouldn't break in two years or less nor should you expect it too. In essence, you really won't be able to use the warranty. As for servicing the movement after 4 - 5 years, you have to pay for that anyway. Also, certified retailers will in most cases still take your watch for service for a fee of course. Worst case, send it to the manufacturers certified service center in the country.
    Query for all of you:

I have both, but certified retailer is a must. Online retailer seems to be a great deal for me in most cases. . .
    I have both, but certified retailer is a must. Online retailer seems to be a great deal for me in most cases. . .

I have seen some great discounts online.......even up to 60% in some cases! *okay*
    sd amboy wrote: »
    I have both from both. However, it seems the discounts you can get from online retailers can outweigh the manufacturers guarantee etc. Why? Most manufacturer warranties are two years. You are buying a high end swiss watch. It shouldn't break in two years or less nor should you expect it too. In essence, you really won't be able to use the warranty. As for servicing the movement after 4 - 5 years, you have to pay for that anyway. Also, certified retailers will in most cases still take your watch for service for a fee of course. Worst case, send it to the manufacturers certified service center in the country.

Certified retailers will most likely not service as it doesn't have the serial number, they need it on file to protect them and owners. They'll avoid being liable if something bad occurs. Also, owners will have a difficult time for claim if unforeseen things arises in or between services because serial numbers are removed affecting authenticity. It's also been known that high-end watches (original owners) has been covered under warranty past it's original date.

Authorized retailers are also always willing to clean and polish our watches for free.

My statements are what i know based on my experience and a relatives.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file