Watch Lover's Club

sd amboysd amboy A true hybrid PExer
If you love watches, this is the thread for you!! Discuss anything related to horology from movements to complications and everything else in the wonderful world of timepieces. *okay*

A little about myself:

Year I became interested in watches: 2004

Current favorite watch in collection: ORIS Frank Sinatra Date

Preferred movements: Swiss automatics and Japanese Eco-Drive solar quartz

Lets talk watches! :D

Comments

• -kt--kt- Member PExer
    uy sali ako!

well can u also post your how to's on taking care or maintenance of your watches? tnx
  • vivamanoyvivamanoy Member PExer
    nice thread to have
  • mrpatheticmrpathetic Member PExer
    certified watch nut.

obsessed since 2000.

collects watch magazines, books and brochures of watchmakers. I even write to the manufacturers and ask for brochures, which they really send over! (Got from GP, Alain Silberstain, A. Lange & Sohne, Zenith)

Interests: Swiss & German watches. Seiko & Casio. Recently, Russian watch Poljot.

Watch maintenance:
    1. automatics must be worn often. if you can't wear them often, manually wind them to prevent stuck-up (drying up of lubricant)

2. when your automatic watch deos not run even if you've shaken it, never attempt to wind or change date/time. bring it to the nearest service center for immediate repairs. failure to do so may result to greater damage.

3. quartz: remove batteries as soon as it dies to prevent the battery from leaking. so far, in my experience, OMEGA has the worst quartz watches!

4. time and date must not be adjusted when watch is worn on wrist (not applicable for digital and those with push buttons). this puts unecessary pressure on the crown.

5. when making quick date changes on mechanical watches (like jump from Feb 28 to March 1) make sure time is in the morning. to check this, change time until the date jumps (morning). set time to 6am, set date, then set time.

6. when storing mechanical watches, always store them facing up or sideways, with crown as support.

7. as much as possible, bring watches to company service centers for better service. battery changes too.
  • sd amboysd amboy A true hybrid PExer
    mrpathetic wrote: »
    Interests: Swiss & German watches. Seiko & Casio. Recently, Russian watch Poljot.

Do you like Tutima and Glashutte?

Also, what is your take on spending more than $500 for a quartz movement? For me, you should never spend more than that for quartz because its poor value.

However, ladies watches can be a little tricky since most of them, high end swiss and luxury swiss included, use mostly quartz for their movements. This is the case even for a watch costing $5k and up. EBEL, ORIS, TAG, and OMEGA are some of the very few that still use automatic movements for some of their ladies watches.

What do you think? :)
  • here i am checking in. . .
    here i am checking in. . .

Welcome!!! :D
  • -kt--kt- Member PExer
    wow this is a nice start! keep on posting guys!

hmmm on...
    "6. when storing mechanical watches, always store them facing up or sideways, with crown as support."

i do store it sideways but the crown is on the top side...is this bad?
    Yeah, I like Glashutte, especially the Panograph/Panoretrograph.

Tutima, I don't really like design wise. I'd rather have Sinn.

Stowa and Nomos are watches I'd like to own someday. These are manual winding watches also made in Germany.

$500 = P25,000 quartz watch: Well, quartz and automatic really depends on the lifestyle of the user. If you wear your watch everyday, then automatic is for you. If you don't, then perhaps quartz would be best. My take: just be sure to spend the $500 on a really good quartz watch, like Tag Heuer. BUt then again, there are nice Seiko & Citizen automatics around.
  • rossifumi46rossifumi46 Member PExer
    mrpathetic... where can we i buy watch magazines?

also give us some tips on how to get the latest catalogs...
    kahit hanggang tingin lang sa a lange sohne...

how do u take care of dings and minor scratches? send it back to the dealer? or merun bang DIY niyan?
    -kt- wrote: »
    wow this is a nice start! keep on posting guys!

hmmm on...
    "6. when storing mechanical watches, always store them facing up or sideways, with crown as support."

i do store it sideways but the crown is on the top side...is this bad?

I wish I could help you here but I have a winder-case so my watches are always stored on a watch pillow facing up in the case or on the winder itself facing out.
    Yeah, I like Glashutte, especially the Panograph/Panoretrograph.

Tutima, I don't really like design wise. I'd rather have Sinn.

Stowa and Nomos are watches I'd like to own someday. These are manual winding watches also made in Germany.

$500 = P25,000 quartz watch: Well, quartz and automatic really depends on the lifestyle of the user. If you wear your watch everyday, then automatic is for you. If you don't, then perhaps quartz would be best. My take: just be sure to spend the $500 on a really good quartz watch, like Tag Heuer. BUt then again, there are nice Seiko & Citizen automatics around.

Glashutte has some really nice designs. Are they a manufacture or do they buy movements from ETA? I know Tutima buys ETA movements.

I think that japanese quartz movements are actually better than swiss quartz. Citizen's Eco-Drive movements are IMHO superior to any swiss quartz. Mechanicals are a different story though.....the swiss cannot be beat when it comes to the fine engineering of automatic and hand-wound movements.
  • -kt--kt- Member PExer
    is seiko a good watch? i saw the F1 watches and it looks good!
    You can buy watch magazines at Fully Booked. These are Watch Time & International Watch. And there's Wristwatch Annual and Watches International. These are like catalogs that feature almost every brand and their more popular models. They don't come cheap though. :) The magazines sell for about P500 and the catalogs for P2000+. Ouch! :)

Get the locally published magazine, Calibre. It's just P250.

I'm so obsessed to the point that I even buy the WOW (World of Watches) sold in Singapore. It's actually very cheap at just S$6 or just P180 considering it's very, very thick!

For free brochures from manufacturers, simply log on to their websites. Contact them and simply ask for a brochure. :) It takes a long time to arrive in your mail that you actually forget you requested for them! :)

Glasshute is a manufacture, just like Lange. So is Nomos! :) Sinn, Stowa and Tutima all use ETA bases.
    is seiko a good watch? i saw the F1 watches and it looks good!

The Seiko watch I would consider is the Spring Drive. :)

http://www.seikospringdrive.com/
    You can buy watch magazines at Fully Booked. These are Watch Time & International Watch. And there's Wristwatch Annual and Watches International. These are like catalogs that feature almost every brand and their more popular models. They don't come cheap though. :) The magazines sell for about P500 and the catalogs for P2000+. Ouch! :)

Get the locally published magazine, Calibre. It's just P250.

I'm so obsessed to the point that I even buy the WOW (World of Watches) sold in Singapore. It's actually very cheap at just S$6 or just P180 considering it's very, very thick!

For free brochures from manufacturers, simply log on to their websites. Contact them and simply ask for a brochure. :) It takes a long time to arrive in your mail that you actually forget you requested for them! :)

Glasshute is a manufacture, just like Lange. So is Nomos! :) Sinn, Stowa and Tutima all use ETA bases.

I love reading watch mags at Borders!! :D

Even though they are mass produced, ETA makes excellent movements. :)
  • -kt--kt- Member PExer
    sd amboy wrote: »
    The Seiko watch I would consider is the Spring Drive. :)

http://www.seikospringdrive.com/

that looks nice bro! but im more into kinda the sporty feel n look! hehe i was actually looking at the sportura range. are they good watches? tnx *okay*
    http://www.seikowatches.com/sportura/index.asp
    http://www.seikousa.com/Gallery.aspx?collectionId=2
    that looks nice bro! but im more into kinda the sporty feel n look! hehe i was actually looking at the sportura range. are they good watches? tnx *okay*
    http://www.seikowatches.com/sportura/index.asp
    http://www.seikousa.com/Gallery.aspx?collectionId=2

Seiko makes good watches. If you want a Japanese timepiece, its either seiko or citizen. If we are talking quartz, I prefer citizen because the eco-drive movements NEVER need a battery and last forever! *okay*
  • -kt--kt- Member PExer
    sd amboy wrote: »
    Seiko makes good watches. If you want a Japanese timepiece, its either seiko or citizen. If we are talking quartz, I prefer citizen because the eco-drive movements NEVER need a battery and last forever! *okay*

that sounds good bro! the seiko F1 sport theme just caught my attention n i like it! hehe :D
  • Man I try not to look at some watches now. Just got my Carrera and the wife is gettn mad at me for spendn money on my new watch so no new watch for awhile. .
    Man I try not to look at some watches now. Just got my Carrera and the wife is gettn mad at me for spendn money on my new watch so no new watch for awhile. .

I know what you mean. I look at watch websites every day. Its such an adicting hobby! Do what I do. Justify your purchases by getting bonuses, raises and promotions at your job! *okay*

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file