Home PEx Lifestyle Travel and Leisure
Reminder: You never know what someone is going through, so be kind.

London

Any tips for a first time traveller? Sights to see? :)

Comments

• wow london...
  • mariadamsmariadams PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    For first time travellers to London:

- bring a brolly (umbrella)
    - wear comfortable walking shoes (lots of walking to do)
    - leave your sunglasses at your hotel (grey clouds most of the time)
    - bring loads of money (or keep your credit card handy), it's an expensive city
    - Buy a London map *okay*

The best way to see most of the important sights is by taking the Sightseeing bus - an open-top double-decker. From the comfort of your 18GBP seat, enjoy the sights of the following:

- Buckingham Palace
    - Westminster Abbey
    - Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament
    - the London Eye
    - St Paul's Cathedral,
    - British Museum
    - Albert Hall - most famous concert venue in the world
    - Trafalgar Square - enjoy people- and pigeon-watching
    - Regent and Oxford Street - most famous shopping street
    - Strand
    - Piccadilly Circus - statue of Eros and famous for its neon signs
    - Downing Street,
    - London Bridge,
    - Tower Bridge,
    - The Tower of London - where copies of the crown jewels are kept
    - Madame Tussauds wax museum
    - Lambeth Palace, a medieval building, home to the Archbishop of Canterbury
    - Horse Guards' Parade
    - Kensington Palace, Victoria & Albert Museum,
    - Harrods,
    - Hyde Park
    - Ritz Hotel
    - Marble Arch - entrance to the Buckingham Palace

Another way is by taking the RiverCruise, by the Thames, for a view of the famous landmarks. Stop at Greenwich Pier to visit the Royal Observatory, home of Greenwich Mean Time and the Prime Meridian line.

Try the London Eye for a panoramic view of London.
    Try the London Underground tube and go to the famous
    - Nottinghill, for the world's largest antique market
    - Camden market for shopping funky stuff, crafts and ethnic foods
  • okey din sa winsor castle, london zoo, hahaha petting ng rabbits, lambs etc...
  • 18GBP for the bus? That's almost 1.8k pesos hehehehe.

Thanks for the info mariadams. I've looked in the internet about the diff sites to see in London and I noticed that the closing time is quite early (around 5pm) maybe its because it is still winter. Isn't it? What places do you suggest that I can go to during the night time? Also where can I go for a cheap (I know London is the most expensive city) snack or something ?
    hello again pauster007

winter timings are always shorter. Not only because there are less tourists in the winter but it starts to get dark as early as 4pm. (Days are shorter)

Night time? the city is as vibrant at night as it is at daytime. just keep walking and enjoy the sight of the lit-up buildings and the fast-paced London life. for more nightlife fun, maybe some of our fellow Pexers can help you.

For cheap food, go to Camden market, or to Chinatown, but don't expect much on the food quality. Our own experience, we always got disappointed in England as to food. Even their coffee sucks and their muffins/cakes too sweet! There are few eateries that serve really good meals, but how can you enjoy it 100% when all you are worried about afterwards is the large dent it had created in your credit card :angry:

For lunch, officeworkers usually eat sandwiches on the street, or sitting in a bench in the park, but even then, it's damn sooo expensive! something like 5 - 8GBP each!

If you're a bargain hunter, don't miss the charity shops! - If you see signs like "Age Concern", "British Cancer society", or something like that, they are charity shops - selling loads of household things, books, clothing.. all second hand but good quality, for as low as a few pence to few sterling pounds.

londoneye.jpg
    The London Eye

trafalgar.jpg
    The lion in Trafalgar Square

sightseeingbus.jpg
    A sightseeing bus

stjames.jpg
    A concert going on in St James Church, Picadilly
    Free entrance but you can drop some coins at the exit if you wish

blackbox.jpg
    Visitors to the Parliament Building have to go through rigorous screening inside this black box
  • Would you recommend this London Pass ( https://www.londonpass.com/prices.asp ) when I go and tour around London?
    hello pauster007

I googled "London Pass" forum and this is what i found:

http://forum.virtualtourist.com/discussion-294539-1-9-Travel-0-309228-London-discussion.html
  • get an oyster card and top up! its very handy...

kung di ka naman picky sa food, chinese buffet for £5 only! nagkalat hehe... pero magsasawa ka rin after some time dahil pare pareho lasa hehe... anyway kesa mag mcdo ka, big mac meal costs £6!

punta ka sa night club sa Soho... daming chicks and celebrities :naughty: kaso nga lang marami ding gay :lol:
  • Yeah the oyster card is very handy, i need to get used to the different bus routes, dlr and the tube. I took the cruise at River Thames earlier, grabe anlamig, i forgot my bonnet.
  • dcometdcomet PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    You do not need the London Pass as most attractions are free namely museums and parks except some notable ones such as the London Tower and Windsor Castle. Plus, most interesting sights can be found in areas 1 and 2 of the tube. You need not venture in areas 3-6. Just get the unlimited oyster for 7 days. Check out the London forum in www.tripadvisor.com
  • Is there any place here where I can eat Filipino food? Or Is there such?

@dcomet
    yeah, i think i have to forego my initial idea of buying the london pass. Does the windsor castle allow camera inside? I want to go to places where I can take pictures.
  • Boo1607Boo1607 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    yeah, may mga Filipino food din. Go to earls court (you can take the district and picadilly line tubes and take off at earl's court station). There are a few fililipino resto's there, pero hindi masarap. Why not try fish n chips kung naka budget ka. ok naman yun eh. it will cost you only 2-3GBP.

sa night life naman, go to west end and soho, dun mo makikita lahat ng klase ng clubs and bars. Mostly, they close at 1am. pero madaming underground clubs sa soho na nag i start ng 3am and closes at 12midday. nasa sayo kung gusto mo makakita ng celebrities, punta ka sa mga sossy na bars, pero if youre looking for good fun and wants to experience london's rubbish sex and club lifestyles, try the clubs-- nakakalat lang yan around west end (if youre taking the tube, the nearest tube station is leicester and picadilly station) but take note na hanggang 12mn (or 1am?) lang ang tube stations so dapat alam mo din ang mga 24-hour na bus nos. ;)
    punta ka din sa mga karatig lugar. like if you wanna do shopping, wag na sa Oxford Street. By this time kasi konti pa lang ang sale. Punta ka sa mga outlets sa countryside para makita mo din ang ganda ng mg probinsiya outside london. Pourtsmouth, Ashford, Oxford etc. may mga outlets dun at masarap mag shopping... Go to Victoria Train stations at malalaman mo mga train times duon, or search the internet.
  • Boo1607 wrote: »
    yeah, may mga Filipino food din. Go to earls court (you can take the district and picadilly line tubes and take off at earl's court station). There are a few fililipino resto's there, pero hindi masarap. Why not try fish n chips kung naka budget ka. ok naman yun eh. it will cost you only 2-3GBP.

sa night life naman, go to west end and soho, dun mo makikita lahat ng klase ng clubs and bars. Mostly, they close at 1am. pero madaming underground clubs sa soho na nag i start ng 3am and closes at 12midday. nasa sayo kung gusto mo makakita ng celebrities, punta ka sa mga sossy na bars, pero if youre looking for good fun and wants to experience london's rubbish sex and club lifestyles, try the clubs-- nakakalat lang yan around west end (if youre taking the tube, the nearest tube station is leicester and picadilly station) but take note na hanggang 12mn (or 1am?) lang ang tube stations so dapat alam mo din ang mga 24-hour na bus nos. ;)

Could you recommend any good underground club at soho? What is is like there inside? Is it safe to go there? Talaga palang mahal dito, at yeah youre right, wala ng sale gaano sa Regent Street, sa Oxford meron pa din kahit kokonti.
    pauster007 wrote: »
    Could you recommend any good underground club at soho? What is is like there inside? Is it safe to go there? Talaga palang mahal dito, at yeah youre right, wala ng sale gaano sa Regent Street, sa Oxford meron pa din kahit kokonti.

Kung mahilig ka sa technopunk, sa ghetto, try mo. dun kasi ako madalas eh. maingay lang nga dun, kelangan may kasama ka talaga para dika ma bore, unless friendly ka. Lol. just be ready for rude sex sa loo, minsan sa dancefloor, medyo mahalay pero enjoy naman. basta wag kang magtitiwala kahit kanino dun ok? minsan by invititation lang dun, minsan naman pipila ka talaga at pag puno na talagang dina sila nagpapapasok. tapos ioopen na ulet nila yung gate by 3am. Avoid thurs,fri, and sat para sigurado kang makapasok. Try G-A-Y din, maganda dun malaki yung place. parang sinehan.haha. mas maganda pag natsambahan mong may popular acts na guest para mag enjoy ka.

sale sa esprit, at zara last week ah? ewan ko lang ngayon. nakabili kasi ako sa zara ng jacket for only 12 quid. yes, you heard it right. 12GBP lang. (from 80GBP RRP)
  • tripkoyantripkoyan PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Saan ba magandang pagbilhan ng mga murang gamit sa London? May sale kaya ngayong September?
  • mariadams wrote: »
    For first time travellers to London:

- bring a brolly (umbrella)
    - wear comfortable walking shoes (lots of walking to do)
    - leave your sunglasses at your hotel (grey clouds most of the time)
    - bring loads of money (or keep your credit card handy), it's an expensive city
    - Buy a London map *okay*

- Uso nga ang lakaran doon (or bisikleta)
    -Nagkataon lang na spring doon nung bumisita kami last April so medyo mainit na at sumisilip na ang araw
  • Of all my travels and the cities I have visited, London undoubtedly is my favorite city in the world. The history, architecture, culture, buzz, and vibrancy made me fall in love with it.

There are a lot of sights to see so plan out ahead on what you want to check out since you won't see all. Also keep in mind that there are individual attractions that can take up an entire day, such as Hampton Court Palace (the best preserved Tudor palace in London and the whole country), nearby Windsor Castle (largest castle in the world still being used by a monarchy), Kew Gardens, and Greenwich (where GMT or Greenwich Mean Time is from).

One thing I love about London is that it is full of various districts waiting to be explored. Central London alone has tons of nice districts just for wandering around. The West End doesn't have a formal boundary, but it includes the districts of Soho, Mayfair, Covent Garden, Marylebone, and Fitzrovia. Some might include Bloomsbury, St. James's, and Westminster as part of that list. The West End is where you'll find the theater district and the upscale shopping streets. Outside the West End is the 'City of London' (the historic heart of the city), which is where London started. This is where the Romans built a settlement called 'Londinium' (you can still see remnants of the old Roman wall if you walk around). Prior to the 19th century, this and only this was London (the rest were separate villages). Unfortunately, due to the Great Fire of 1666 which destroyed most of the medieval city, the Blitz during WWII, and the redevelopment of the area as a financial powerhouse, don't come here expecting a medieval quarter (although there are still some medieval churches that have survived). South of the City of London across the river Thames is the South Bank, which you should check out with these free printable guides. There is also Clerkenwell, South Kensington with its museums and beautiful Victorian townhouses, Chelsea, Knightsbridge, and Notting Hill.

Outside central London, there are also pretty 'villagey' districts to visit such as Hampstead (check out Hampstead Heath), Primrose Hill, Richmond, Highgate (check out Highgate cemetery where Karl Marx is buried), and Wimbledon (check out the All-England Tennis Club). To learn more about London's villages, click here.

London also have some beautiful parks and in some of them, there are still wild deer roaming around that were used for hunting several centuries ago.

London also has tons of markets, such as Portobello Road Market, Brick Lane Market, Borough Market, Camden Market, Spitalfields Market, and Columbia Road Flower Market.

For a different look on London, check out the East End which is quite run-down compared to the West End. Some districts include Shoreditch, Spitalfields, Whitechapel, and Limehouse. The Docklands in the East End used to be the biggest and the busiest port in the world. Some areas in the Docklands still retain the Victorian industrial warehouses (such as Butlers Wharf), while some areas are being turned into modern business districts (like Canary Wharf).

Another thing I like about London is that they place "blue plaques" to denote buildings where famous people have lived in as a way to protect its historic heritage. An example would be the blue plaques in Brook Street where both George Handel and Jimi Hendrix lived right next to each other but centuries apart. London has thousands of these so check out English Heritage to see if your favorite musician, politician, historian, scientist, etc. has one.

And yet another thing I love about London is that it is surrounded with other cool places to visit, such as Oxford, York, Bath, Cambridge, Canterbury, the Cotswolds (which has good examples of traditional English thatched cottages), Rye, Winchester, Brighton, Stratford-upon-Avon, and the various castles and cathedrals/abbeys in England.
  • i stayed in Hounslow for 3 months for my volunteering commitments. paminsan minsan pumupunta kami ng central london para mamasyal. heymikey mentioned almost everything na talagang dapat makita. sa Hyde park, nung pumunta kami hindi namin alam na may concert pala doon si paul mccartney. there are various concert events sa central sobrang saya. Richmond is also a beautiful borough. napa scenic ng lugar.

nung nagstay kami summer yon, so most people talagang they hit the park and grabe mag sunbathe. (park yon ha, hindi beach) dun talaga ako na surprise. parang beach ang park.

try nio din tour ng house of parliament.

sa pagpaparty naman, don't forget soho!!!!
  • micamyxmicamyx PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I'm going to England this coming November and my mom said we'll stay in London for three days din. Thank God I found this thread! :D