Home PEx Lifestyle Travel and Leisure
Reminder: You never know what someone is going through, so be kind.

French Riviera

Has anyone been to the French Riviera? Feedback please...

Comments

• I've been to Nice, Cannes, and Monaco. Hmm... what can I say? Monaco is quite small. I've walked the "country" from east to west in about 2-3 hours. The Oceanographic Museum isn't as good as others but if you want to kill some time, then go ahead. Plus, it's on a cliff so the views of Monaco are incredible. You might as well visit the palace while you're at it. Also visit the marina where all those expensive yachts are located. Those yachts are HUGE. Some are even bigger than a 2-storey house in a middle-class suburb. Plus, you might get to see someone famous.
    In Cannes, the museums are free if you have an ISIC (student card). But then again, who goes to Cannes to visit the museums? The beaches are nice and some women sunbathe topless so bring some binoculars if that's your thing.
    Nice is pretty nice (no pun intended). Walk along the promenade especially at night. The rocky beach might not be appealing for most people but it's great for having bonfires with fellow backpackers you just met at the hostel. By the way, if you will be hostelling and you will be going there in the summer, make sure you get there by 9AM at most in Nice. Hostels fill out really quickly there and it's usually on a first come-first serve basis. I've seen some backpackers camp out at the beach and at the train station because they couldn't get a room. But then again, I'm sure that would be a fun experience all to itself.
  • magicmajentamagicmajenta PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Yes I have been to Nice Cannes, Monaco, and San Remo. Definitely a lot of topless women sunbathing if that's what you are looking for. But yes the beach is the main reason you go there. San Remo is one of the entry towns into Italy coming from France/Monaco so if you have time you might as well cross into Italy and visit the town. Just check out the shops and look around and the town is also next to the sea.
  • Is it just the beach? I read that there are flower markets? perfume market?

Which place is better to see - Lourdes or Nice?
  • been to french riviera a few times already, and yes a lot of topless sun bathers are there, but seasonal yata yung magagandang topless bathers. hehehe. there was a time na almost all topless bathers i saw were not attractive. hehehe. as far as lourdes or nice goes, both are nice to visit naman. if you're on the religious side, which most pinoys are, then lourdes is a must.
  • mariadamsmariadams PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    fatbig wrote: »
    Is it just the beach? I read that there are flower markets? perfume market?

Which place is better to see - Lourdes or Nice?

No, it's not only the beach. Flower markets, fresh markets (h.... just smell the cheese and the fresh bread), Vide greniers (flea markets) in each village every Sunday, concerts, medieval villages, hilltop villages, great food, people-watching, and so much more! Go village exploring, it's like travelling in time!

The gardens, the architecture, the landscape, their patisserie which is the best in the world, the fashion on the street, the herbs, go hiking in the hills and the smell of herbs will overpower you, and so on and so forth...

I haven't seen Lourdes. There seems to be a tendency for Filipinos to visit Lourdes after Paris. But there's so much to see in the French Riviera that will blow you away!!
  • mariadams wrote: »
    No, it's not only the beach. Flower markets, fresh markets (h.... just smell the cheese and the fresh bread), Vide greniers (flea markets) in each village every Sunday, concerts, medieval villages, hilltop villages, great food, people-watching, and so much more! Go village exploring, it's like travelling in time!

The gardens, the architecture, the landscape, their patisserie which is the best in the world, the fashion on the street, the herbs, go hiking in the hills and the smell of herbs will overpower you, and so on and so forth...

I haven't seen Lourdes. There seems to be a tendency for Filipinos to visit Lourdes after Paris. But there's so much to see in the French Riviera that will blow you away!!

Thanks for the feedback! A few more questions though - are there cheap but clean and safe hostels or small hotels in the French Riviera? What about food? Will I be able to find mini grocery stores there? Is it easy to get around? I don't really want to ride cabs because they are expensive much more rent a car. Is there public transportation that would get us from village to village? We have alloted only 3 days... I hope this is not too 'bitin' :)
  • sorry double post
  • mariadamsmariadams PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    fatbig wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback! A few more questions though - are there cheap but clean and safe hostels or small hotels in the French Riviera? What about food? Will I be able to find mini grocery stores there? Is it easy to get around? I don't really want to ride cabs because they are expensive much more rent a car. Is there public transportation that would get us from village to village? We have alloted only 3 days... I hope this is not too 'bitin' :)

- yes, there are a lot of cheap and clean hotels. Find them around train stations. Starts from 50euros up, but don't expect the best facilities.

- there are lots of mini grocery stores. But beware, they are closed from noon to 2pm. So easy to get around. don't ride cabs, drivers are daylight robbers!

- Food...if you're on a budget, be on the lookout for FLUNCH, plate of the day is 5++euros and unlimited vegetables. But the best part of a French holiday is having a 3-course meal and (house) wine. Menu and prices are displayed outside restaurants, starting from 12euros which is already good value. You should try Salad Nicoise (pronounced "ni-swas") if you love your greens. Also try their pizza, so different from what you are used to. When in restaurant, water is free, just ask. Very impt, wait for waiter to find a table for you.

- public transport is excellent. Taking the bus is a cheap way to go sightseeing. And yes, they take you from village to village. Get the bus schedules from the bus station, or from the driver himself. If you are going to Nice, there are buses from the airport, 4euros, to take you to Nice. Choose the one that will stop at the train station. Hold tight on your seat as you might suddenly fall out of balance as soon as you see the spectacular view of the turquoise blue mediterranean sea and the Promenade des Anglais. Go straight away to the Tourist Office (just next door of the train station) for maps, brochures, programmes).

Go to the top of the hill (Musee de Marine) and marvel at the most beautiful panorama in the world!

For your 3 days, go to Nice. Then take the train to Ventimiglia, Italy. (1 hour total) (If you're a student, show ID for discount). Hop in, hop out at any of the following village: (but you have to pay each time you board, unless you're going there in the summer when special promotions are on offer, Carte Isabelle or something, just buy this card and it's valid for two days and you can hop in, hop out, free, at any village along their route.
    - Eze
    - Villefranche sur mer
    - Monaco
    - Ventimiglia (old village)

Always concentrate on the old village itself, if you are short on time.

On a separate day, take another train route, from Nice to Limone, Italy (1.5 hours total). Hop in, hop out at any of the following villages:
    - Breil sur Roya
    - Saorge
    - Tende
    - Limone. Find that bar serving hot chocolate drink, soo solid that you can almost eat it with a spoon! Limone is a skiing resort but very charming Italian town.

On a separate day, take a bus from Nice to Vence (pronounced "vongs") and St Paul de Vence (1hour total). The latter is one of the most beautiful villages in the world!
    Vence is a fortified town.

another tip: Always say Bonjour, Merci and Au revoir, it helps to be polite!