Home PEx Lifestyle Travel and Leisure
Reminder: You never know what someone is going through, so be kind.

Backpacking in Southeast Asia

mac326mac326 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
has anyone done this? can you guys share your itinerary. im planning to do a southeast asia trip. around 2 months long.

i want to do malaysia, thailand, laos, cambodia, and vietnam. i can scrap malaysia if i can do myanmar. highlights of this trip is of course the beaches of south thailand, temples in north thailand, luang prabang, siem reap, ha long bay, and yangoon (if possible). everything should be done by land travel.

anyone care to share their experiences?

Comments

• wow sounds so much fun!

are you travelling alone? and no visa required?

what's your budget?
  • I'm interested in doing this too. The first step for me would be Singapore this summer. I'll be staying in a hostel and everything. I'm actually very excited! :P
  • surf the archives of this blog: http://buhawi.blogspot.com
    nagback pack na siya sa SEA before.
  • veco_notebookveco_notebook PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    mac326 wrote: »
    has anyone done this? can you guys share your itinerary. im planning to do a southeast asia trip. around 2 months long.

i want to do malaysia, thailand, laos, cambodia, and vietnam. i can scrap malaysia if i can do myanmar. highlights of this trip is of course the beaches of south thailand, temples in north thailand, luang prabang, siem reap, ha long bay, and yangoon (if possible). everything should be done by land travel.

anyone care to share their experiences?

i would say, scrap malaysia and go to myanmar. yangon and bagan (and mandalay) are the places to see in Myanmar. There's nothing special in malaysia (atleast for me), petronas lang.
  • mac326mac326 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    i would say, scrap malaysia and go to myanmar. yangon and bagan (and mandalay) are the places to see in Myanmar. There's nothing special in malaysia (atleast for me), petronas lang.

i agree... i was originally planning to go to pulau perhentian in malaysia but that would be too much beach for me since i'm planning krabi and phuket (and probably koh taruao) in thailand plus nha trang in vietnam. however, it seems that KL would be my point of entry because of the cheap flights via Air Asia and my first leg begins in southern thailand.

Right now, I'm looking for a the most beautiful beach (something better than what we have) in mainland SEA. I've been to Phuket and Phi Phi Islands. They were great but nothing compared to our beaches. Still, i'm going back to Phuket kasi masaya lang talaga sa Phuket. Ano sa tingin nyo pinaka magandang beach doon na nasa pristine condition pa with not much development and crap?

Thanks!
  • If you're looking to Malaysia as a port of entry, I would suggest to instead go to Kota Kinabalu (KK) instead of KL as it is also a major hub for Air Asia and Malaysia Air. KK is also less crowded and is not as fast or noisy as KL. You may also want to visit Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, which has great reefs for diving and snorkelling and is only 30 minutes from KK. You may also want to go to the Rafflesia reserve to see the world's largest (and smelliest) flower.
  • Masaya to, take it from me. I started from Singapore, passing through Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, and ending in Saigon, Vietnam.

My second trip was going from Phuket, Thailand, all the way to Hong Kong.

You got to experience the Thai culture, nothing beats it.

When you're in Singapore, try to stay at Betel Box Hostel, it's worth it, dami ka pa pinoys na makakasama if swerte ka.
  • ^ I'm planning to stay at the Inn Crowd, seems like more of a party place? :) But I heard and can tell that Betel Box is great too.
    Verbl Kint: KK is separate from mainland asia right? tingin ko KL talaga since I'm very interested in Luang Prabang, Siem Reap, and Yangoon. The biggest obstacle probably is crossing by land from Thailand to Myanmar. You know what, I can actually skip Phuket and Phi Phi since I've been there. I might try to explore the beaches of Myanmar but the thought of being in Myanmar for at least a week scares me. Safe kaya dun lalo na outside Yangoon?

SuPeR_MaN: Astig naman yung Phuket to Hong Kong. Land travel ka ba? Did you end up doing Hanoi then taking public transport to Hong Kong? I read that there is no direct bus or train.
  • mac326,

ang naging ruta ko is Phuket-Surratthani-Bangkok-Nong Khai, Thailand, Vientianne,Laos - Hanoi, Dong Dang, Vietnam - Pinxiang, Nanning, Guangzhou, China - Kowloon, Hong Kong.

From Hong Kong, I took a ferry to Macau to catch my flight back to Singapore. I won't do the Vientianne - Hanoi leg anymore, it took me almost 30 hours inside a cramped bus. hehehe.
  • Nivla_PoaNivla_Poa PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    This sounds interesting, Super_man. What sites did you go to to plan the trip? And how much did it cost you overall? May blog ka ba about this and your itinerary?
  • I'd like to think that I'd be qualified to answer this question - I did a 2-week bit last year, and just finished a 10-day trip last week.

Itinerary 1: Singapore-KL-Siam Reap-Bangkok-Surat Thani-Koh Phangan-Georgetown-KL-Singapore
    Itinerary 2: KL-Hanoi-Hue-Hoi An-Saigon-KL

You can check the archives of my blog (July/August 2006) for some stories.

Anyway, just some tips - KL has a better range of Air Asia trips, and if all does not go well, you can try using Singapore which is the hub for Tiger and JetStar Asia.

Budget? If you're on the budget trip, 100 USD per week is manageable, without accounting for airfare and souvenirs of course.

Land travel? No problem, lots of buses ply the usual tourist routes. But you have to have to have a good mindset, a lot of these are longhaul bus rides.

Pag nag update ako ng blog, isasama ko yang Vietnam trip ko...
  • mac326 wrote: »
    Verbl Kint: KK is separate from mainland asia right? tingin ko KL talaga since I'm very interested in Luang Prabang, Siem Reap, and Yangoon. The biggest obstacle probably is crossing by land from Thailand to Myanmar. You know what, I can actually skip Phuket and Phi Phi since I've been there. I might try to explore the beaches of Myanmar but the thought of being in Myanmar for at least a week scares me. Safe kaya dun lalo na outside Yangoon?

Yup, KK is separate from the mainland but you can get many connecting flights from there. It's not as cheap as a train, though.

Myanmar is beautiful. The pagodas are much better than in Thailand and are untouched. It's pretty safe so long as you have Caucasian company so I suggest you just hook up with other backpackers. Be ready with money for impulse shopping as there are a lot of Ayutthaya-themed trinkets around; and they are dirt-cheap.

As for getting there, I suggest you go through Thailand as Yangon is
    closer to Thailand than Laos.
  • Eto helpful site for overland travel; http://www.seat61.com/ may mga schedule ng trains at buses minsan pati ferry times. Lahat yan, ginawa kong overland travel.
  • If you want to get the backpacker "feel" start of at Khao San Road in Bangkok and be part of the crazy, mad, crowdfrom all over the world. From thereon, you can book flights, buses and trains, and ferries to anywhere in SEA you can imagine.

Accommodation there is dirt cheap and the range of food is unimaginably diverse. I still opt for my authentic, roadside, fresh pat thai.

As far as Malaysia is concerned, I prefer that you fly into Kota Kinabalu instead. Less urbanity, more exotic, but more challenging. Especially challenging is their public transport system, especially outside KK. But Malaysian Borneo is truly beautiful.
    SuPeR_MaN wrote: »
    Eto helpful site for overland travel; http://www.seat61.com/ may mga schedule ng trains at buses minsan pati ferry times. Lahat yan, ginawa kong overland travel.

i'm reading that site. apparently, walang overland travel going to yangoon. kahit sa tales of asia forums parang nabasa ko i need to take a plane going to yangoon kasi prohibited ang overland travel going to yangoon and mandalay kapag foreigner ka.
    ced0009177 wrote: »
    If you want to get the backpacker "feel" start of at Khao San Road in Bangkok and be part of the crazy, mad, crowdfrom all over the world. From thereon, you can book flights, buses and trains, and ferries to anywhere in SEA you can imagine.

Accommodation there is dirt cheap and the range of food is unimaginably diverse. I still opt for my authentic, roadside, fresh pat thai.

As far as Malaysia is concerned, I prefer that you fly into Kota Kinabalu instead. Less urbanity, more exotic, but more challenging. Especially challenging is their public transport system, especially outside KK. But Malaysian Borneo is truly beautiful.

next time na siguro yung borneo. i will just totally skip malaysia. i just realized that cebu pacific flies bangkok. so derecho na ako ng bangkok instead flying air asia to KL and riding a train/bus to Thailand.
  • went backpacking for 10 days in southeast asia last year - KL,singapore,siem reap and bali .. it was really fun and spells
    a d v e n t u r e .. we slept on the train, at the airport .. take a bath at the train station .. but i would say i really enjoyed it .. if you want the same itinerary, pm me:)
  • Cool really. Magkano ang budget? For two months, I guess you need around 100k - 150k bucks. Your Malaysia leg should be the shortest and Thailand the longest. You can also pass by Nepal [west west west of Myanmar] if budget permits.

:)
  • I'll be travelling to 5 countries (Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Brunei and Cambodia) this April. and I've spent P18,330.69 or $370 USD for my plane tickets.

eto ung itinerary ko. Hindi dapat talga kasama yung Siem Reap, Cambodia pero ngaun ko lng naisip na isama, kaya mas okay sana na kung dati ko
    pa naisip kasi pedeng diretso na ko from Bangkok to Siem Reap to KL tapos to Brunei. Dati ko pa rin to napa-book kaya mas mura ung ticket ko.

April - 13 - May 1

Fri 13 Clark to Singapore 17:30 21:00
    Sat 14
    Sun 15
    Mon 16 Singapore to Bangkok 6:35 7:50
    Tue 17
    Wed 18
    Thu 19
    Fri 20 Bangkok to KL 20:20 23:25
    Sat 21 KL to Brunei 15:15 17:35
    Sun 22
    Mon 23
    Tue 24
    Wed 25 Brunei to KL 18:00 20:20
    Thu 26 KL to Siem Reap 10:05 11:10
    Fri 27
    Sat 28 Siem Reap to KL 11:40 14:45
    Sun 29
    Mon 30
    Tue 1 KL to Manila 7:20 11:15

Plane Tickets

Clark to Singapore April 13 3,384.29 (67.92 USD) via Tiger (ok)
    Singapore - Bangkok April 16 2,891.03 (89.24SGD) via Tiger (ok)
    Bangkok - KL April 20 2,240.09 (1,615 THB) via AirAsia (ok)
    KL - Brunei April 21 -25 3,855.99 (274.98 MYR) via AirAsia
    KL - Siem Reap April 26 - 28 3,295.09 (235 MYR) via AirAsia
    KL - Clark May 1 2,664.20 (189.99 MYR) via AirAsia