which social class do you belong?

simoensimoen I'm Simone PExer
I just saw Oprah and today's topic was about social class in America (lower class, lower middle class, upper middle class, upper class). Now, I'm curious about social class in our country...

- in which class do you belong and why?
- what are the signs that determine a certain class?
- is it race? i used to tell my officemates na meron ding chinese na mahirap but they don't believe me.
- is it one's alma mater?
- is it one's neighborhood, cars and clothing? keep in mind, maraming first class fakes sa pinas.
- is it speech and diction?
- what else?

Comments

• fnhfnh Lurker PExer
    the only thing i could think of that could really determine what social class one belongs to is how much he is worth right now, and how much he is earning.
  • alky-holicalky-holic bite me PExer
    OMFG i had the longest reply typed but the server was too busy.

Anyway, for our marketing surveys, we have to take into consideration the social class of the respondents.

Here are some factors to look at when determining one's social class:

1. The respondent's house (size, condition, location)
    2. The household's monthly income (i think it has to be 70,000 and up for a household to be considered AB)
    3. The respondent's job (if it's a white collar or blue collar job)
    4. The respondent's school (if it's one of the top universities, etc)
    5. Household appliances

I forgot about the others. All of these should have to be taken into consideration though, sometimes other factors would pull down one's social class.

Anyway, as for race, it has nothing to do with one's social class.

nuninuninuni.. as for my social class? i don't know. AB i guess.
  • SAINT DESTROYERSAINT DESTROYER lolo pexer PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I belong to the no class...
  • fnhfnh Lurker PExer
    if one belongs to a very very rich family, but he is not at all intelligent and ends up in a so-so school, does that drag his social status down?
  • SAINT DESTROYERSAINT DESTROYER lolo pexer PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    fnh wrote: »
    if one belongs to a very very rich family, but he is not at all intelligent and ends up in a so-so school, does that drag his social status down?

Its not his social status that goes down but his family's reputation that diminishes.
  • leporidaeleporidae Member PExer
    ^ If a very rich guy was uncultured and retarded, I'd say he doesn't belong to the elite class. Although he'd still be higher up the social ladder than most people.
  • i belong to wa class:D

and seriously, most of us here belongs to the same class. sasampalin ko ang magkukunwari
  • avonleaavonlea Moderator PExer
    i think they should include manners in determining a person's social status... there are some rich people who don't have manners and are uncivilized...

there are so many "educated" people out there but their manners are reprehensible...
  • manners? whats the relevance of manners to social status?

kahit araw ka pang nasa simbahan kung mahirap ka eh mahirap ka pa rin.

just like party girl paris hilton's wild wild thing but she will remain as a socialite forever
  • rajaharirajahari boy mantikilya PExer
    Ayaw ko talaga sa mga socialites....
  • Other than income or wealth, another class link characteristics indicative of the social class an individual belongs to are the patterns of behavior. i.e.

a) delayed gratification pattern -- usually attributed to those who belong to the middle class
    b) immediate gratification pattern -- closely attributed to those who belong to the lower class.
  • 24242424 Guest PExer
    Very rich people in the our country, even in other contries as well only consist of a small percentage in their respective population; majority belongs either in middle and lower class, certain levels only upgrade their status a bit higher or lower,but in reality mostly belong to middle or lower. It is a hypocrisy, to try to level oneself to those who belong to high class social status by superficial and temporal means.:rolleyes:
  • baklitabaklita taas kilay PExer

class na class ako... may bantay pa.
    ang address ko ay sa selda 20 noh!

aihihihi!!! :)

baklita

• leporidaeleporidae Member PExer
    I'm upper class in the Philippines and middle class in first world countries.
  • simoensimoen I'm Simone PExer
    alky-holic wrote: »
    Here are some factors to look at when determining one's social class:

1. The respondent's house (size, condition, location)
    2. The household's monthly income (i think it has to be 70,000 and up for a household to be considered AB)
    3. The respondent's job (if it's a white collar or blue collar job)
    4. The respondent's school (if it's one of the top universities, etc)
    5. Household appliances

but what if you just met that person for the first time? at a glance, how do you judge him/her? what signs do you consider as someone from the elite, middle or lower class? like, what if you were introduced to a girl who has really long, dirty fingernails? would u initially label her as lower class?

ako, when I see guys with really long pinky nails, i think they're from the lower class.

which reminds me of the gretchen barreto fiasco. siguro kaya nagdala siya ng microwave during the shoot so that people's first impression of her is that mayaman tlga siya.
  • clawed_outclawed_out Banned by Admin PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    money and pedigree.

life is not fair.
  • DunedainDunedain NINJAneer gone Indie! PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I don't really care about classes. I have enough things to worry about than social standing. All I know is that I work, put food on the table for my wife and kid, have enough money for decent clothing, provided them a roof over their heads that I'm still paying for, have reasonable amount of stuff to keep ourselves entertained, set aside what can be of use for the future, and see to it that I send a wee bit of money to my folks even if it's just US$100.
  • de_veelishde_veelish Member PExer
    Social class is based on household income/net worth. Determining classes are only good for census, and............. in this case, a talk show topic.

Personally, i can't tell what a person's class is just by looking.

Me, i refuse to say......

Must we talk about our status?
  • clawed_outclawed_out Banned by Admin PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Dunedain wrote:
    I don't really care about classes. I have enough things to worry about than social standing. All I know is that I work, put food on the table for my wife and kid, have enough money for decent clothing, provided them a roof over their heads that I'm still paying for, have reasonable amount of stuff to keep ourselves entertained, set aside what can be of use for the future, and see to it that I send a wee bit of money to my folks even if it's just US$100.

But this is what the masa feeds on. :lol:

sad but true.

daydreaming through their entire life.
  • flimmmeryrose74flimmmeryrose74 Banned by Admin PExer
    I belong to the most humiliating, sad, unfortunate, degrading, what-a-pity lower to the lowest status of social class.

A lot- and I mean almost all of my mother's siblings and relatives are so poor, that they resort to a lot of inhumane things like raising pigs, poultry and other animals for living. Oh gosh, I am so embarassed to admit this but they usually live on remote agricultural places- without any decent schooling or basic things. The ironic thing is.. they seem to content. You give them a dollar, and their happiness equate to touching a gold.

I could tell you guys what a real poverty is like- but I'll spare the articulate, elitist pexers here. I don't want to break their heart.

Anyway, my life-seems like it- is starting to climb the social ladder, and I am hoping to help them as well; however, it might be an impossible task. Why? Well, they are multiplying in a very rapid and significant numbers that I find it confusing to help. The disease of poverty is multiplying in my clan. I don't know what to do to stop it. They are getting more and more ignorant- very naive poor people.

There is a lot of pressure on me- since I am their hero. I am one of the few remaining people who can help them. I hope I won't dissapoint anyone- and myself. This is really a hard situation to be in, and I sympathesize on people who are in the same situation as I am.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file