Home PEx Hobbies Music and Radio

Who's the real number one radio station?

So many radio stations claim that they are the number one, but who is the real number one radio station?

Ya see, this is a discussion that I wanted to open because the radio in Philippine setting is now declining. Last night, I just heard that this radio station is already number 1 for four years, and I heard another one saying they are the best pop music station.

I'm confused. What does real data say? Who is the REAL number one radio station?

Comments

• well it depends, actually

they say that they are the number 1 pop music station because they play popular music only.

nu says they're the number one rock music station because they really are. no station plays much rock music than they do.

but... if u just want the best radio station.. then check out who grabs the most awards. its usually magic or rx.

i think before... as in years ago...rx gets the most awards...

im not sure right now.. havent really checked it out lately. but magic got loads of awards two years ago... they got the best radio station... as voted by the peopl.. forgot the name of the award show or something..
  • How does one measure the veracity of one station being the real number one? The awards won? The number of responses by a survey of a poll institution? Radio airplays? Number of requests per day?
  • Jay P. MercadoJay P. Mercado Moderator PEx Moderator
    Number one would mean a lot of things. It would mean number one in the ratings game, it would mean number one in terms of most number of awards copped.

But I believe the industry is one in saying that when you claim to be number one, it means that your radio station has the highest listenership base in Metro Manila. This data is taken from surveys conducted by various radio research groups - primary of which is the Radio Research Council (RRC), considered the most credible survey firm in the radio industry.

Hence, if we look at the data supplied by RRC when they conducted a survey last August, 2006, here's the official rankings in terms of most number of listeners:

1. 90.7 DZMB Love Radio (owned by the Elizalde Group)
    2. 101.1 YES FM (owned by the Elizalde Group)
    3. 101.9 DWRR-FM (owned by the Lopez Group)
    4. 93.9 I-FM (owned by the Canoy Group or RMN)
    5. 100.3 DZRJ-FM (owned by Ramon Jacinto)

Note that not one of those radio stations are considered "pop" in nature. Hence, if Magic 89.9 claims to be the number one pop station in Metro Manila, then they are actually telling the truth since they are probably ranked within the Top 10 and ahead of the other pop stations like 93.1 RX, 97.1 LS, 99.5RT among others.

On the other hand, Wave 89.1 may claim that they are the number one jazz radio station in Metro Manila since they may be ahead of competitors JAM 88.3, Joey 92.3, Crossover 105.1 and Dream 106.7 FM who all play jazz music. 96.3 DWROCK may claim that they are the number one lite rock station in Metro Manila since they are ahead of their only competitor, the defunct 103.5 K-Lite.

RJ 100 on the other hand, boasts that they are the number one in the Class ABC section of the populace since the RRC profiles their respondents based on their demographics. Hence, RJ is actually telling it accurately that they are #1 in that category for the same reason.
  • sabagay. sa mga awards, they are too classy.. that's why magic, rx, wave, ang nanalo.. not the stations that are considered "pang-masa"

that's what i think..
    The KBP Golden Doves is considered the most prestigious body in terms of giving awards for radio. I believe this is the same award body that gave RX 93.1 several FM Radio of the Year awards in the past years.

There is a glitch though. The KBP only considers a radio station a nominee for the top plum on two conditions:

1. That the radio station must be a member of the KBP
    2. That the radio station must submit actual tapes of the various programs they produce to the KBP for it to merit nomination

For the first one, there are some radio stations that are not affiliated with the KBP. Prime example of which is DWLS-FM, the GMA Radio Network after having pulled out its membership last 2004. Ergo, even if DWLS can merit consideration for the award, they won't be nominated because they are not a member of the KBP.

On the other hand, the reality is that there are hardly FM radio stations that submit their programs consistently to the KBP with an exception of some (RX, Magic and DWRock are perennial nominees because they diligently submit their respective work). Hence, even if a program that may be considered world-class in another radio station is not submitted to the KBP, it will never merit any attention from the body.

I've followed the ratings of the radio stations when it was still being done by the Philippine Survey Research Council (PSRC) dating back in the early 80's. There has yet to be a "classy" radio station that has become #1 in the ratings. Perenially, DWLL 94.7, The Mellow Touch, was the topnotch performer for practically the entire 80's with DZMB following suit or sneaking a top rating once in awhile. The very first pop station that became #1 overall was the Mike Enriquez-managed DWKC 93.9 FM when it was still called SMILE Radio. That was when they started delivering jokes at practically every adlib belted out by the DJ on board. It succeeded, toppling DWLL at #1 and stayed there for several years.
  • Damn Jayp I'm quite Impress you got a lot of knowledge wen come to radio station are you a Dj or something... just askin...
  • JPM, do you have a list of winners of the KBP Best Radio Station from the year they first gave the award out?
    Flsfnoeraekadad,

Sorry man, I don't really follow the KBP Dove Awards that much. I never really took credence to this awards-giving body simply because I felt there were radio stations that had better-produced programs than what they declared as winner.

Just to give an idea here, RX 93.1's Back to the 80's (before it was Back to the 70's) was actually a rip-off of KOOL 106' "Thirtysomething Special" which was aired on KOOL every Sunday night. The "Thirtysomething Special" program was much more polished, had a better script, was more credible, better playlist and yes, the actual experience of the 70's was more aptly described by more credible DJ's who actually were around back in the 70's (Chico Garcia was in his school shorts during that time). And of course, the rip-off which I felt was done tastelessly especially considering RX won a Golden Dove for this production.

Similarly, K-Lite's Morning Brew Playlist wasn't an original concept. DWLS 97.1 had Saturday Night Gold that featured basically songs with the same theme and was produced way back in the early 80's. Of course, I doubt if Vitto Lazatin, the K-Lite host, had an idea of what SNG was since he wasn't probably listening to the radio that time. But then, it only proves that there are a lot of programs that were not and probably will never be recognized by the KBP simply because some of these radio stations do not submit copies of their production. Hence, my non-interest.

Starter,

Nah, I'm not. Let's just say that like basketball and sports, radio is closest to my heart and I've been monitoring the local radio scene since way back the late 70's...thanks though for the kind words!
  • smarty pants! *okay*
  • forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    ang galing ni mr. jay mercado. I really learned a lot from your posts.

so how do they conduct those survey, i mean how do they get the number of how many listeners tune in to that radio station?

sa AM po do you know kung sino nangunguna?
  • The KBP Golden Doves is considered the most prestigious body in terms of giving awards for radio. I believe this is the same award body that gave RX 93.1 several FM Radio of the Year awards in the past years.

There is a glitch though. The KBP only considers a radio station a nominee for the top plum on two conditions:

1. That the radio station must be a member of the KBP
    2. That the radio station must submit actual tapes of the various programs they produce to the KBP for it to merit nomination

For the first one, there are some radio stations that are not affiliated with the KBP. Prime example of which is DWLS-FM, the GMA Radio Network after having pulled out its membership last 2004. Ergo, even if DWLS can merit consideration for the award, they won't be nominated because they are not a member of the KBP.

On the other hand, the reality is that there are hardly FM radio stations that submit their programs consistently to the KBP with an exception of some (RX, Magic and DWRock are perennial nominees because they diligently submit their respective work). Hence, even if a program that may be considered world-class in another radio station is not submitted to the KBP, it will never merit any attention from the body.

I've followed the ratings of the radio stations when it was still being done by the Philippine Survey Research Council (PSRC) dating back in the early 80's. There has yet to be a "classy" radio station that has become #1 in the ratings. Perenially, DWLL 94.7, The Mellow Touch, was the topnotch performer for practically the entire 80's with DZMB following suit or sneaking a top rating once in awhile. The very first pop station that became #1 overall was the Mike Enriquez-managed DWKC 93.9 FM when it was still called SMILE Radio. That was when they started delivering jokes at practically every adlib belted out by the DJ on board. It succeeded, toppling DWLL at #1 and stayed there for several years.

I think RGMA is still part of the KBP, though. I think only GMA-TV pulled out.

But I could be wrong. I never hear "member of the KBP" in any RGMA link.
    I'm not sure about RGMA Nico. But what I know is that the entire network pulled out from the KBP some two or three years ago. Note that Mike Enriquez, the person primarily responsible for GMA's pullout at the KBP, is also the head of RGMA so it won't be surprising if DWLS-FM isn't a member as well. That should probably explain why DWLS-FM is not included in the Top 10 rankings where they have been a perennial player - either they're out of the KBP (ergo, out of the surveys) or because they just didn't do well at all last August.

I'm not privy to the details of how the survey is conducted Forg. I know they have a sampling size - as to how big, I wouldn't know. But according to radio insiders, the one conducted by RRC indeed is the most credible.

As for the rankings in the AM band, don't quote me on this but from what I have heard:

1. DZRH 666
    2. DZMM 630
    3. DZBB 594

DZMM 630 has been the perennial number one with RH "stealing" the slot once in awhile. Last August, RH peaked at #1, making it a double-double for the FJE Group - their FM radio stations DZMB and YES-FM occupy the top two slots on FM and their AM station is #1.
  • forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    Thank you for the information Mr. Mercado. :handsdown:
This discussion has been closed.