COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Nepal's Mystery "Buddha Boy" Reappears

Nepal's Mystery "Buddha Boy" Reappears

KATHMANDU (Reuters) - A mysterious teenaged boy believed by some to be a reincarnation of Lord Buddha has reappeared in eastern Nepal after vanishing for nine months, a witness and a television channel said on Monday.

Sixteen-year-old Ram Bahadur Bamjon was spotted on Sunday by villagers in the remote and dense forests near Piluwa village in Bara district, 150 km (95 miles) east of Kathmandu, local journalist Raju Shrestha, who visited the boy, told Reuters.

Bamjon disappeared in March from the forests in nearby Ratanpuri village where he had reportedly been meditating without food or water for almost 10 months.

"I have been wandering in the forests since then," Shrestha quoted Bamjon as telling him.

"I am engaged in devotion which will continue for six years," the boy told Shrestha.

Hundreds of curious onlookers, including many Buddhists, thronged the site to see the boy, sitting in a meditating position.

A local TV station showed people pressing their palms together and lowering their heads in devotion in front of him.

"I don't think he is a Buddha. But he has some sort of extra strength to meditate. He eats herbs," Shrestha said.

Before his disappearance, an estimated 100,000 people from Hindu-majority Nepal and neighboring India flocked to see him meditate. They were not allowed to get closer than 50 meters (165 feet).

Shrestha, who met the boy up close, said he had shoulder-length hair and sat cross-legged under a small tree.

"He has an ash-color shawl wrapped across his chest," he said, adding the boy had a "flat-ended scimitar" next to him.

Buddha was born a prince in Lumbini, a dusty village in Nepal's rice-growing plains about 350 km (220 miles) west of the capital Kathmandu more than 2,600 years ago.

He is believed to have attained enlightenment at Bodh Gaya in the eastern Indian state of Bihar, which borders Nepal.

Comments

• Lucca YamazakiLucca Yamazaki die boy abunda die! PExer
    Hm, hey he's got to, like, check up with his online buddies or something... and well now he's back!
  • rhk111rhk111 Son of Boltok The Rapist PExer
    Saw the "Discovery Channel's" feature on this guy. What bothered me most about that documentary, was how the boy ended up sweating when a REAL Budhist Monk leader sat down in front of him, & meditated for about an hour to try to know what sort of meditation the boy was doing.

The Monk later wouldn't tell to the camera what he suspected. But it seemed as if the boy was troubled, or stressed in some way in front of that monk .....
  • JongaJonga Banned by Admin PExer
    the boy's gay
  • faaip_de_oiadfaaip_de_oiad PEX GOD PExer
    rhk111 wrote: »
    Saw the "Discovery Channel's" feature on this guy. What bothered me most about that documentary, was how the boy ended up sweating when a REAL Budhist Monk leader sat down in front of him, & meditated for about an hour to try to know what sort of meditation the boy was doing.

The Monk later wouldn't tell to the camera what he suspected. But it seemed as if the boy was troubled, or stressed in some way in front of that monk .....

ditto. The Discovery feature was almost implying that the boy got kidnapped/ killed. But then again, I thought he was set to appear years from the day of his disappearance - not mere months.

To be fair to him, he does have the looks to sell the "holy" thing. He didnt eat/drink/move from a lotus position for 10 days. Ten days, people. He should've been dead.
    ^^^
    Its obvious that the boy is a fake. They made too many excuses to ensure that those taking close, scientific scrutiny of the phenomenon will have a hard time doing so, or not being able to do it at all.

Its a scam, out to make as much money as possible out of the gullible.
    ^ well, he looks cool enough to play the part. :lol:

The whole "blue flame shot out of his chest" story was hilarious. hehe
  • Frank_MackeyFrank_Mackey Banned by Admin PExer
    I'd like to see him go up against David Blaine.
  • loc0loc0 loc0.deviantart.com PExer
    I'd hate to be the one to check his email inbox.
    I can't believe those Nepalese would buy into such stuff. I wanted to think its because they are "less developed" than we are, but then again, our rural folk would probably be as gullible.
    Did you see the "Truku" feature about Bhutan?

The Bhutanese Parliament has already mandated guidelines in the truku selection (reincarnation of lamas) due to the preponderance of claimants. :lol:
    ^^^
    Yup, saw that one, too. But still don't believe it. If such things were really true, imagine the wealth of information Anthropologists & Archaeologists would be able to get from such sources. But that has not been happening, so I just don't think its true.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file