chicago, anyone?

arkienutsarkienuts Watashi no namae wa Geoff. PExer
anyone going to US next month? i'm going to chicago and some states...tips on where to go and air fare rates from state to state?

anything will be highly appreciated. tnx guys!

Comments

• KrakistaKrakista Speak to Win! PExer
    Sears Tower
    North Michigan Avenue
    Millenium Park
    United Center
    Navy Pier
    Museum of Science & Industry
    Shedd Aquarium
    Motorola Museum in Schaumburg
    Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio in Oak Park
    McDonald's first store in Des Plaines
    Watch Blue Man Group at the Briar Street Theatre near Wrigley Stadium.

If you stay a bit longer, you might wanna go to the Ravinia Festival.

http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/systemmaps.html
  • skibunnyskibunny Member PExer
    Check airline websites to get an idea on airfare rates between states - JetBlue, Continental, American Airlines and Delta to name a few.
  • Don't forget to eat at the Signature Room at John Hancock Towers. DOn't forget to try a Chicago Deep Dish Pizza. I'll suggest Giordano's its near the University of Chicago.

Too add to krakista's list:
    Shedd Aquarium is a beauty.
    Field Museum
    Adler Planetarium

Don't forget to try United Airlines as well since this airline is based in Chicago O'Hare. Jetblue will start operations in Chicago O'Hare by January. Don't know that dates when it will begin service. Southwest has a lot of flight to Chicago Midway.
  • arkienutsarkienuts Watashi no namae wa Geoff. PExer
    wow interesting. :)

tnx guys! keep it coming...i'll be staying at the wyndham hotel in glenview, which is like a few mins outside the city, uptown...

how bout party districts? like real american fun places at night...hehe... ;)
  • xiao_gxiao_g mrs. mcavoy PExer
    add ko rin:

soldier field (just in front of the field museum) - home of the chicago bears
    united center - sa west side ata yun... if you want a pic in front of michael jordan's statue
    lincoln park zoo - libre!
    union station - wala lang, i love it because there was a scene from my best friend's wedding which was shot there. :glee:
    philippine consulate - hee! if you want a pic with the philippine flag, you can find it across millenium park
    art institute of chicago - iirc, $11 ang entrance fee dito (student price). it's near millenium park too.
    the bean - must-see! located in millenium park.

and namention na ni Krakista yung north michigan ave. (also called the magnificent mile), here are some of the noteworthy places there:

john hancock building
    cheesecake factory (hehe, wala lang). this is located below the john hancock building.
    water tower
    hershey's store - in the area in front of the water tower :belat:
    wrigley building - love its architecture. located right before the chicago river
    and of course, the numerous shops and boutiques!

as for party districts, sa lincoln park area (north side) madaming bars/clubs. magkakatabi pa. lakad ka lang along lincoln avenue. :)

try mo ring maglakad-lakad along state street. dami ring shops dun. *okay*

edit: for a taste of chicago's deep-dish pizza, try pizzeria uno. maghanda ka lang maghintay ng 1-2 hours para makaupo. :teehee:
    arkienuts wrote: »
    keep it coming...i'll be staying at the wyndham hotel in glenview, which is like a few mins outside the city, uptown...
    There's The Glen Town Center in Glenview sitting on a former airforce base. I don't think it's a few minutes to get to the city, more like an hour or so. You'll be needing this-->Metra as CTA serves the inner Chicagoland. I also suggest you land in O'Hare as Midway is too far from where you'll stay.
    how bout party districts? like real american fun places at night...hehe... ;)
    You can book in advance and get into the Jerry Springer Show for free. :lol:
    DOn't forget to try a Chicago Deep Dish Pizza. I'll suggest Giordano's its near the University of Chicago.
    There's Giordano's next to Sears Tower. Yung mga nasa SM hindi makain. :D
    xiao_g wrote: »
    try mo ring maglakad-lakad along state street. dami ring shops dun. *okay*
    Naging Macy's na yung Marshall Fields at parang di bagay. :D BORDERS lang ang pinupuntahan ko doon.
    tnx guys. Krakista, yeah i'll be landing in o'hare. i really intend to watch the jerry springer show live as part of my itinerary...hehe...and oprah too, i might get a chance to get some of her fab give-aways like car, hehe...

i didn't know there's pizza in giordano...haha...i'll make sure i don't miss that.

keep it coming guys.
  • xiao_gxiao_g mrs. mcavoy PExer
    Krakista wrote: »
    Naging Macy's na yung Marshall Fields at parang di bagay. :D BORDERS lang ang pinupuntahan ko doon.

yup, it's now macy's, but at least they didn't remove the green clock at the corner of state and... i forgot the street. :bungi: mas sikat pa ata yun kesa sa macy's. :glee: and nadodoon din yung old navy and tj maxx (they sell branded items at a fraction of their original costs) at kung anu-ano pa.

another attraction on state street is the chicago theater. punta ka dun sa gabi, para naka-light up na yung vertical sign na 'chicago' nila. ;)

i'm planning to go to chicago this new year's eve, i'll fill you in kung may bago. :)

oh, naalala ko pala, punta ka sa buckingham fountain. ganda rin dun. but i'm not sure if it's on during winter.

and since you're planning to go next month... bundle up! :) chicago isn't called the windy city for nothing. samahan mo pa ng freezing temperatures... yikes!
    xiao_g wrote: »
    yup, it's now macy's, but at least they didn't remove the green clock at the corner of state and... i forgot the street. :bungi: mas sikat pa ata yun kesa sa macy's. :glee:
    I think it's Randolph. :)
  • lechon xlechon x Olats PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    arkienuts wrote: »
    i really intend to watch the jerry springer show live as part of my itinerary...hehe...and oprah too, i might get a chance to get some of her fab give-aways like car, .

forget oprah. it will take you the whole season to get a ticket.minsan di ka talaga tatawagin. 'di yan wow,wow wee. hindi ganoon kadali.

also forget about the sightseeing. sa sobrang lamig, gusto mo nang umuwi.
    i didn't know there's pizza in giordano
    :lol:
    theres a pizza uno and dos

buckingham is shut off during winter season.

ice skating is available at millineum park

glenview is not a few min. to downtown. If I were you, I will get a hotel in downtown para di ka na mag commute specially na its winter.
    tnx lechon x...but i've already booked in glenview...

i'd still be there until spring so hopefully i can see that buckingham fountain...

d'yu guys know how long the flight is from o'hare to L.A.?

tnx..
  • usp92usp92 Member PExer
    O'Hare to LA takes about 4 hours. Hope you got a good rate because most of the cheaper LA flights emanate from Midway...of course the Cicero area isn't as, shall I say, scenic...but the airport is pretty new.

As far as nightlife goes...try Red No Five, Moda(!) this is in the Gold Coast area on the north side, Crowbar and Sonic room. Moda is like THE place to go for the more euro sort of vibe. Sonic Room etc. have a more American techno sound to them. Oh, and Chicago hip-hop is best sampled on the south side...that is, if you have the balls to go to the south side :)
    haha, y? dyu get a lot of "N" there?...regarding air fare rates, does it vary? like how much would it cost me to go to L.A...then fly back to O'hare from Nevada?...coz my plan is to get to L.A., then road trip to Vegas then take-off from there back to IL.

cool info usp92! tnx.
  • legolasslegolass Moderator PExer
    I love Chicago! :D I think it's a great city.

When we were there, we got a city pass. We visited 5 Attractions for $50 lang - The Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium, Museum of Science and History, Field Museum and the Hancock Observatory. Sulit! Kaya lang two days lang kami doon ... we had to rush through all the attractions, nanghinayang nga ako eh. But I'll definitely go back to Chicago given the chance.

Here's the site for Citypass, if you need more information: http://www.citypass.com/city/chicago.html
  • lechon xlechon x Olats PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Chicago Sightseeing & Lunch Cruise (Lunch Cruise)
    some tour cruise cost more
    I've never been to this one but I was on the afternoon cruise when the Air & Water show was on going. It was awesome. It cost me 90 bucks for 3 hrs. pero sulit talaga.

http://www.allchicagotours.com/body.asp?tour=CHI-W0001&page=TourDetails
    guys, any idea how much ang air fare rates from chicago to L.A. then from Vegas to Chicago?

tnx tnx tnx! :)
    wow nice site man! tnx!
    arkienuts, are the letters h, a, k, and s missing from your keyboard? Please refrain from using textspeak and learn to say (or write) thank you the proper way.
  • ChicagoPinoyChicagoPinoy student for life PExer
    Next month trip? January? brrrrr, make sure you are well bundled up. Peak of Winter starts January.
    The best time to visit chicagoland is during spring and summer. Pexers have given you already good info. I can add more if you will be coming spring and summer...
    anyway, have a safe trip. Chicago is a world class city. Have fun.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file