Home PEx Lifestyle Health and Wellness

Sputum Cytology: Squamous Metaplasia

Someone I know (and is very close to me) just underwent sputum cytology and the findings show squamous metaplasia. He was then adviced to undergo CT scan. Is this finding bad? Is this a pre-malignant finding? There is a strong family history of CA and the px's personal and social hx reveal 27 pack years of smoking. Doctors, i need your insight on this. We are really concerned.

Comments

• angeliseangelise PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Someone I know (and is very close to me) just underwent sputum cytology and the findings show squamous metaplasia. He was then adviced to undergo CT scan. Is this finding bad? Is this a pre-malignant finding? There is a strong family history of CA and the px's personal and social hx reveal 27 pack years of smoking. Doctors, i need your insight on this. We are really concerned.

There must be a reason why he was asked to submit his sputum for cytology. Either he has has symptoms (coughing, difficulty of breathing, weight loss to name a few), or he has an xray film that showed something that needs investigation, coupled with his smoking history and strong family history of CA. Squamous metaplasia isn't diagnostic of cancer... it just tells you that the cells yielded/evaluated were of the squamous type and these cells are not the typical looking squamous cells. The doc who has seen him would definitely not stop there. Further diagnostic work-ups are necessary, just like the CT scan, and am not surprised if there would be a biopsy done.
  • Thank you so much. I will insist that he should undergo CT scan. I hope there won't be any significant findings.