Home PEx Family and Society Realm of Thought

James "The Amazing" Randi rips Jaime "The Gullible" Licauco a new one!

Inquirer published a rejoinder from noted skeptic James Randi, rebutting many of Jaime Licauco's earlier accusations.

"Magician belies claims in Licauco's column." What an understatement - Randi's as much a "magician" as Flavier is a "doctor": they've gone far beyond their original professions.

Anyway, here's the article that Licauco earlier wrote, which Randi debunks rather comprehensively.

And if anyone's interested, I wrote a long blog post commenting on the matter. I don't want to cut-and-paste the whole thing, but here are a few short points of my own:
  • - Licauco is a bullshıtter, in the philosophical sense of the word - as Harry Frankfurter wrote in his essay, "<the bullshitter> does not care whether the things he says describe reality correctly. He just picks them out, or makes them up, to suit his purpose."
  • - One gets the feeling that no “burden of proof” exists in Licauco's worldview, just a “burden of belief” – it’s incumbent upon you to believe that fairies are real, that telekinesis exists, that ESP happens. No scientists, debunkers, or skeptics need apply. “Proof” is something on a bottle of Johnny Walker Black. “Truth” is… well, who needs the truth when bullshıt is far more convenient?

Comments

• what's the difference between a magician and a preacher?

a magician never tells anyone to believe him, we're aware that it's all tricks :confused: but secretive about it. ;)
  • st.angerst.anger PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    can we say pwned?
  • If I were Randi, I would be careful going up against Jaime Lichauco. Lichauco has, "friends in higher dimensions". :D

Instead of waking up w/ a Horse head beside him, he might end up w/ a Horse's head for a head! lmao
  • I had been known by these 2 guys:

http://www.randi.org/jr/2006-06/063006simply.html#i6

http://www.randi.org/jr/2006-05/051906sylvia.html#i13

19dwarfs.jpg

Now, these 2 guys had been fighting for quite some time, as if in Court, filing complaints, answers, replies, rejoinders and all sorts of media garbages that seemed true-to-life drama entitled "Psi vs Magic".

I would rather write a story that would portray these 2 guys in a melodrama or drama anthology or soap opera, but if produced there would seem few audience making it a baloney.

Seriously, many of their fans had been hypnotized to the extent of being enchanted to a kingdom of their own in never land or rather in moro-moro fantasy.

More liberally, I would predict that all those fans who follow these 2 guys DID and will release MONEYS to lend their ears to these 2 guys' tricks, treats and ORIGINAL recipes, not produced by cook books.

I HOPE that readers of this new topic would join this DEBATE, and I raise the ISSUE:

Who is the FOOL?

Randi or Jaime, or BOTH?

Please share your comments so that these 2 guys would well be enlightened.

:bop:

Randi kicks Jaime’s hiney.

http://micketymoc.bluechronicles.net/?p=349

Ripped from the Philippine Daily Inquirer’s letters pages: “Magician belies claims in Licauco’s columns.” When the magician happens to be James “The Amazing” Randi, wow, this sentence has got to be the understatement of the year.

Understatement? Randi’s only a magician, in the same sense that Juan Flavier’s only a doctor – they’ve both moved past their initial professions to serve a greater good, in Randi’s case, debunking ********.

No one’s riper for Randi’s attention than Jaime “the Gullible” Licauco – long overdue for a James Randi smackdown, he promptly receives his due when he publishes this column “Two Ways to be Fooled”. The piece is a lengthy attack on skeptics, simultaneously attacking the scientific skepticism practiced by Randi, and attempting to appropriate the credibility of the scientific method to reinforce notions like telekinesis and ESP.

Licauco can’t have it both ways: by attempting to be both credulous and scientific, he exposes his blithe disregard for the facts. Which is why Randi has such an easy time debunking much of the ******** Licauco splooges all over the page. And when I say “*****”, I use it not in the expletive sense, but in a more formal context relating to the truth, as Harry Frankfurter’s excellent essay On ******** explains:

It is impossible for someone to lie unless he thinks he knows the truth. Producing ******** requires no such conviction. A person who lies is thereby responding to the truth, and he is to that extent respectful of it. When an honest man speaks, he says only what he believes to be true; and for the liar, it is correspondingly indispensable that he considers his statements to be false. For the bullshitter, however, all these bets are off: he is neither on the side of the true nor on the side of the false. His eye is not on the facts at all, as the eyes of the honest man and of the liar are, except insofar as they may be pertinent to his interest in getting away with what he says. He does not care whether the things he says describe reality correctly. He just picks them out, or makes them up, to suit his purpose.

So what facts does Licauco make up at the spur of the moment? That Randi’s paranormal challenge is a fake (“Randi always finds loopholes”) – belied by the copious documentation of the rules, claims made, claims tested, and claims failed. That Randi heads an organization called PSICOP – one visit to his Wikipedia page will tell you that he resigned from CSICOP (not PSICOP) a long time ago. And that (this is really funny) Uri Geller filed a harassment claim against Randi – now Randi can’t come within a few hundred feet of Geller and had to pay up for the “mental torture and emotional trouble”!

Were I then to open my “third eye” and peer into Licauco’s mind, I would see this: Licauco’s claims about Randi’s “harassment” of Uri Geller, that Geller won his lawsuits, that Randi changes the rules of his challenge on a whim, it doesn’t matter to Licauco if they’re true or false! It only matters that you believe what Licauco says! Granted, Licauco may not have sought to deceive his readers – but he’s been rather cavalier about spouting facts that are easily refuted with a simple Google search!*

This “*****-your-way-through-it” attitude is depressingly common in Licauco’s work. Check out this string of columns relating to the Cottingley fairy pictures – in the first, Licauco takes the fairy pictures at face value, even relating it to our engkantos and diwatas and claiming that we have no need of pictures to prove their existence (as if such credulity was something to be proud of!).

In the second, Licauco pooh-poohs skeptical “dubious statements from the Internet, whose authorship one can hardly trace or validate”, without directly addressing the criticism laid against the Cottingley fairies.

In the third, Licauco bewails “the ingrained bias of some people against paranormal and supernatural phenomena” and stands by two cases of “psychic surgery” he personally witnessed and believes to be true.

Through all this, one thing is evident: Jaime Licauco just isn’t interested in scientific explanations. He’ll allude to them, all right, with such motherhood statements like “A certain degree of skepticism is good and necessary”, but he’d rather have the magical certainty of fairies, chi, and otherworldly forces without the need to test such things.

One gets the feeling that no “burden of proof” exists in his worldview, just a “burden of belief” – it’s incumbent upon you to believe that fairies are real, that telekinesis exists, that ESP happens. No scientists, debunkers, or skeptics need apply. “Proof” is something on a bottle of Johnny Walker Black. “Truth” is… well, who needs the truth when ******** is far more convenient?

I’m happy that Licauco got his from Randi – it’s been a long time coming – but I wonder why, considering his long history of trafficking in ********, that he hasn’t gotten it earlier.

*Oh, and what of the “scientific” sources that Licauco quotes in his article? Brenda Dunne denies that the PEAR lab “engage(s) in any “scientific tests of paranormal claims”, but the lab will be shut down by Spring of 2007 nonetheless. Uri Geller is a rich fraud, but a fraud nonetheless. Targ and Puthoff stand by their research, but were the subjects of their own chapter in Randi’s book that named them the “Laurel and Hardy of psi research”. Gertrude Schmeidler has been taken to task by fellow researchers for her extreme credulity, and a second look at her “sheep” and “goats” experiment doesn’t look so impressive when the edge of “sheep” over “goats” was only 0.4% - in an experiment covering over 250,000 guesses!

Magician belies claims in Licauco columns

http://opinion.inquirer.net/inquireropinion/letterstotheeditor/view_article.php?article_id=37701

Inquirer
    Last updated 03:59am (Mla time) 12/12/2006

Published on Page A14 of the December 12, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

THIS is in reference to Jaime Licauco’s Oct. 24 article:

1. He claims that, as a magician, I was known as “The Great Randi.” I have never used that name, even when I was residing in the Philippines and performing on the nightclub circuit.

2. He says that this Foundation offers a million-dollar prize “to anyone who could prove that telekinesis was true.” We offer it -- and have done so for 10 years now -- for any evidence of a paranormal event or ability, not just “telekinesis.” Note though that Licauco claims he has paranormal abilities, but he has not applied for the prize, which he should be able to win easily.

3. Licauco: “When somebody comes up to prove telekinesis, Randi changes the rules. Randi always finds loopholes so that, in the end, he concludes nothing has been proven.” Again, he is absolutely wrong. No change of rules has ever taken place, and all applicants who have been tested have attested, in writing, that the conditions and parameters of the test were correct and acceptable. No “loopholes” can be invoked, because all parties agree to the conditions. Furthermore, as Licauco well knows -- but failed to tell his readers—no conclusion is arrived at by me; that decision is entirely in the hands of independent observers.

4. Licauco: “Randi hounded and harassed well-known Israeli psychic Uri Geller, saying he was nothing but a fake psychic … Geller finally fought back. He filed a harassment suit against Randi and won.” Two more lies. I have never said that Geller is or was a “fake psychic.” Geller never filed any harassment suit against me; in the one case he did file, he lost and had to pay $150,000 in sanctions.

5. Licauco: “The court ordered Randi not to come within a specified distance from Geller or he would be arrested. Randi was also asked to pay Geller a certain amount for all the mental torture and emotional trouble he caused.” What can I say? Both these statements are outright, knowing lies, and Licauco knows it.

6. Licauco: “[Randi] heads a small but noisy group called the Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal (PSICOP) and publishes the Skeptical Inquirer, the main purpose of which is to show that those who believe in such things are nuts!” Another lie. I have not been connected with CSICOP for more than a decade.

7. Licauco: “I only want to share with interested people and readers strange but true events that are normally and routinely ignored by established science and the academic community.” Untrue. Licauco has totally misrepresented the picture, and is lying to promote and shore up his view of reality.

8. “I told the students it was good to maintain a healthy skepticism, not to accept at face value everything a person told them, but to verify everything.” Faced with Licauco’s blatant and knowing misrepresentation of the truth, I would agree with him on this advice.

JAMES RANDI, 201 S.E. 12th Street, Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33316 (via e-mail)

http://opinion.inquirer.net/inquireropinion/letterstotheeditor/view_article.php?article_id=37701
  • Thank you for cut-and-pasting from my blog.

I'm a little ahead of you there - I already put up this thread about the whole Randi/Licauco thing.

Oh, and are you really the famous duwende-befriending Judge Floro? Boy now have I got something to tell my grandkids.
  • micketymoc wrote: »
    Oh, and are you really the famous duwende-befriending Judge Floro? Boy now have I got something to tell my grandkids.

You mean you didn't get hit when the good judge earlier spammed 500 (by his count) Philippine-related blogs and forums about his relief from the bench?
  • Don't writing a column on the supernatural (and getting paid for it) and teaching courses on ESP qualify as crimes under Article 318 of the Revised Penal Code?

Chapter Six: SWINDLING AND OTHER DECEITS

Art. 318. Other deceits. — The penalty of arresto mayor and a fine of not less than the amount of the damage caused and not more than twice such amount shall be imposed upon any person who shall defraud or damage another by any other deceit not mentioned in the preceding articles of this chapter.

Any person who, for profit or gain, shall interpret dreams, make forecasts, tell fortunes, or take advantage of the credulity of the public in any other similar manner, shall suffer the penalty of arresto mayor or a fine not exceeding 200 pesos.

Up to six months in jail (or PHP200 - the Penal Code doesn't account for inflation). Anyway, apparently our laws presume psychic phenomena to be fraudulent. It's in the same chapter as estafa and swindling.

http://www.chanrobles.com/revisedpenalcodeofthephilippinesbook2.htm
  • I don't know. This reminds me of Mentok, the Mind Taker

mentokhu2.png
    OOOO-WEEEE-YOOO!

But seriously, this is even kookier than the Rosie-Trump feud, though I'd like to see these two go at each other in fisticuffs... I bet someone will cast Magic Missile.
  • rickymrickym PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    i'm quite sure that some atheists here would consider religion to be of the same classification.
  • rickym wrote: »
    i'm quite sure that some atheists here would consider religion to be of the same classification.

The penal code contains a chapter on crimes against religious worship and offers higher penalties for other crimes if places of worship are involved so religion is pretty much protected by law. However the code also contains penalties against coercing people to perform any religious act so non-believers have rights as well.
    Thank you for cut-and-pasting from my blog.

I'm a little ahead of you there - I already put up this thread about the whole Randi/Licauco thing.

oh sure, i am judge floro, and i am here at malolos, bulacan,

http://judgefloropics.blogspot.com/

i gave mr. jaime t. licauco my book that it pained me to create and write and publish

do you know what he did to it?

i gave it to rex bookstore for marketing,
    the STUPID marketing director thereat asked mr. licauco to endorse it
    without my go signal
    and mr. licauco said that he needs to read 3 manuscripts before he would touch my book for review

but mrs sonia breezee santiago from rex bookstore
    candidly informed me THAT OUT OF PROFESSIONAL JEALOUSY
    mr. Licauco RETURNED my book to her
    and he said:
    I DO NOT LIKE THAT BOOK

oh yes, as psychic i am gifted and i discover and uncover things accidentally but as destined

so these 3 dwarves angels of God are VERY ANGRY at Mr. Jaime T. Licauco, and they will punish him and his family to the full extent

this book that i wrote is for their own MEMORY

to clear what our foolish corrupt court said against them:

you know, LUIS ARMAND AND ANGEL are angels of God called duendes and dwendes since we were colonized by Spain in 1521

thanks for writing that column

i respect Mr. randi's opinion since it is part of religious belief

he is utterly correct that LICAUCO is not only a money raker
    but Licauco COPY PASTES for money purposes

fooling so many people here and abroad

he is never a psychic, he pretends

and randi is genuine, only, i go against but respect his beliefs
    and i respect yours,

sincerely judge floro

I am known worldwide as the Psychic & Healing Judge.

http://angelofdeathluisarmandandangel.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=judge+floro

http://judgefloropics.blogspot.com/

gosh, there was an earthquake in taiwan that damaged our pldt smart and globe water cables

so, until today without any definite date,

our internet is so slow

many sites could not be opened

but here there are very few digitel lines that are rather not so slow
    Thank you for cut-and-pasting from my blog.

yes,
    before i put this new topic thread,

i copied and saw your nice and SETTING UP STRAIGHT thread against licauco,

you better research AND EXPOSE MORE FRAUDS by Licauco

I am at your side, since he did ridicule my 3 dwarves' book

he is not world-famous, he is an impostor
    his books are best sellers, coz, they are plagiarized and no originality

it is ******** as many said

post more proofs against licauco and randi will like it

randi is brilliiant magician and licauco has no match
  • opus224 wrote: »
    You mean you didn't get hit when the good judge earlier spammed 500 (by his count) Philippine-related blogs and forums about his relief from the bench?

hi opus224

pardon my little learning about spam and computer

please believe me that here, very few would own and learn about computer

and believe me further that 2 supreme justices here pen decisions manually and per manual typewriter

so i ask your deep understanding and kindness
    when i honestly copied and pasted many reports, news, blogs and forums regarding my UNJUST and persecutory relief from the bench due to personal vendetta of 8 justices here who were medically operated

that is the truth and they just used dwarves as escape or excuse for cover-up

all these blogs and forums made us immortal in world judicial history of martyrs of damn filipino justice

http://www.google.com.ph/search?q=judge+floro&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

i am a very honest and sincere person

and randi is

unlike LICAUCO who fools people
  • I don't know. This reminds me of Mentok, the Mind Taker

mentokhu2.png
    OOOO-WEEEE-YOOO!

But seriously, this is even kookier than the Rosie-Trump feud, though I'd like to see these two go at each other in fisticuffs... I bet someone will cast Magic Missile.

licauco fights by supplying our philippine daily inquirer (wherein he writes a column weekly tuesdays in lifestyle section, called INNER AWARENESS)

garbage, spam and copy paste by this pseudo psychic writer

i will watch the fight with you and i hope we see these 2 guys in the arena
    it would be bloody

and will you pay my ticket

:)
  • the fact that he did not took the 1M challenge right away, lead me right away to think that he is false.

i think licauco is too gay to prove what he firmly believe...and an obvious bullsh_tter since he is just doing this to attain fame...
  • Jonga wrote: »
    the fact that he did not took the 1M challenge right away, lead me right away to think that he is false.

i think licauco is too gay to prove what he firmly believe...and an obvious bullsh_tter since he is just doing this to attain fame...

Licauco would not even pass the preliminary tests of randi

imagine, when he appeared in the ASSIGNMENT as interviewed by abs-cbn regarding Cong. Teddy Locsin's having featured me as healing judge

mr. licauco berated my style of healing saying that i need to concentrate and that my healing hands emit same heat as healers

NOTE that prannic healing and other psychic surgery that he promotes
    are hoaxes or from the devil

prannic healing is STUDYING, paying minimum of P 20,000 to psychics who pretend to know about bio-energy and extort money from die hard religious people like priests and nuns who wanted FAME

in my case, i never concentrated and my hand emit extreme heat
    even if i discuss sex education to anyone

so i am GIFTED
    and i can accept the challenge of RANDI, but i am here and he is out there

so i would agree to come to his place and be tested there
    since my hands are gifted and can be tested by machines

unlike licauco's healing which are FAKE

example:

on october 20, 1999 when he tested me to heal 15 patients with incurable diseases, he certified that i healed 14 of 15

and i attacked his 2 books about JUN LABO and ALEX ORBITO
    licauco was mad since he said that Jun Labo's arrest in russia was frame-up

but it is otherwise

jun labo is a magician using the devil as guide
    so he could by hoax make it appear that psychic surgery is a fact rather than a mere slight of hand

jun labo is faster than RANDI as far as magic is concerned
    but these are illusions and not fact

Licauco, plagiarized 35,000 books that he read, copy and paste parts which would sell

he is san beda college grad
    and he taught some subjects at aim

he mastered the art of reading and copying foreign psi books and pasting it to his 12 best sellers at national bookstore via anvil and rex publishers

the marketing of his books is utterly fraudulent
    since many of copy paste spambots
    are utter violations of COPYRIGHT laws

he would by hypocisy cite at the back the acknowledgments

but,

over-all his books are spurious

example:

i told him that all the pics of dwarves in his P 640 and P 1,050 latest book on dwarves are FAKE
    he said authentic

OH NO,
    report this licauco to RANDI

prove to me that google, yahoo and all msn had pics of real actual and not plastic or myth folklore dwarves

i tell all of you that UNDER THE LAWS of dwarves as angels of God

not even one had been caught on film
    for they are so advanced that google and film cannot catch they
    except the little children and retarded who would see them

even in ireland and iceland
    they could not produce pics of dwarves

SUMMATION
    the 2 books of licauco on dwarves contail ALL SPURIOUS PICS OF DWARVES
    AND his 2 books on Jun Labo and Alex Orbito are nothing but lies regarding the reality of psychic surgery

SLAP on the FACE OF LICAUCO:

IF you go to national bookstore or at licauco's website:

http://www.angelfire.com/journal/licauco/books.htm

http://j.licauco.tripod.com/

you will find that licauco wrote a thesis on psychic surgery about jun labo et al

now where is jun labo

he lost 2x in baguio city
    and he is a gonner

loonie tune

coz he is fake

and licauco raked money in selling fake books about fake jun labo

dig more

never mind the research of the psychic and healing judge floro
    and you will discover more fakes of licauco

RANDI failed to research more magics of licauco

but licauco cannot but face the ire of my 3 angels

the 3 stooges that RANDI wrote about

http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?S=R&wauth=Jaime+T.+Licauco&siteID=PmFI5OlCKw4-GDFn8KSLoa4Z5ErCCFviFw
  • Funnily enough, I also lurk in the Randi forums.

I have endorsed you to the regulars there. Let's hope we hear from them soon.
    Funnily enough, I also lurk in the Randi forums.

I have endorsed you to the regulars there. Let's hope we hear from them soon.

I have quite read the rules of the challenge of randi,
    and i deeply understand that licauco and his psychic surgeons can't pass even the prelims there coz they will be caught

in my case, i am GIFTED, while licauco and the others studied
    the greatest difference is: the flaw and the fraud in licauco and his advertsised (in his books) psychic surgeons who raked money from gullible foreigners

here many filipinos would not believe them coz their fraud and money extortions were fully exposed

go to I had visited the Alex Orbito Manaoag Pangasinan Temple where his alleged $ 300,000 healing tripple or triangle wood from abroad was and is a hoax
    the psychic surgeon Orbito has plenty of rooms there for foreigners
    and Orbito would perform psychic surgery upon them for dollars fees

and they end up being cheated, thus the catching of the thief, jun labo in russia

and Licauco's books are full of studies and defense of these 2 guys

sadly, Licauco failed to defend Jun Labo in russia and the final verdict was FAKE
    slight of hand so to speak, since the cameras caught the hidden cottons and bloods underneath;

IN MY HEALING EXTREME HEAT METHOD FROM MY HANDS,
    there is no magic
    since the patients would and did testify on t.v. that they really felt complete or partial relief
    in fact vangie had had myoma mass and after i healed her with heat from my hands
    it became negative per medical tests

for example:
    celebrex and other arthritis medicine would ease pain for days of even short as 4 hours, but when i apply coconut medicinal natural heat pressed oil plus my hand, extreme heat is felt and the result is taking off pain in just 2 - 5 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=judge+floro

and for sure, if there are medical machines that would test my hand plus oil
    i would pass the preliminary tests of randi

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=84449&st=0

here in asylum

http://www.asylumnation.com/asylum/_r/showthread/threadid_46637/pagenumber_13.html?perpage=25&pagenumber=13

i posted and proved that after i posted the imprecation curse thread after the critical date of nov 3/5, Luis and James were murdered as i warned the court, when they opened my sala

so 4 were dead after the release of my decision on april 7:

luz puno april 12
    lily victorino aug 5
    luis bersamin dec 16
    james bersamin nov 11

http://www.asylumnation.com/asylum/_r/showthread/threadid_46350/pagenumber_3.html?
  • My thoughts of this are in my blog.
  • Who's the fool?

Anybody who doesn't check on facts before claiming something.

Anybody who doesn't take a skeptical approach and challenge a claim before taking a position.

Jaime "The Loco" Lichauco has made statements about James Randi that could be verified/disproven by a simple search in the internet. His response to the Million Dollar Challenge question was, pure and simple, an ad hominem response. "I don't believe in the challenge because James Randi is JUST a debunker of the paranormal." Sheesh.

I posted my thoughts in my blog.