FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

Mapuans Won International Recognition

MAPUANS WON INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION

rm625.gif

The Mapúa Robotics Team won international recognition in the 2006 National Inventors’ Week held last November 13-17 at the Philippine Trade Training Center, Pasay City.

The team was composed of the following students: Michael S. Poblete, Ivan Karl P. De Vera, Leonard C. Canoza, Jaylord T. Jauod, Harry Balanay, Paul Kevin Diaz, and Charles S. Rico.

The Mapúan’s winning project is “The Low-Cost Underwater Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV).” This innovation was designed to perform such tasks as salvaging assistance, ship hull inspection, accident investigation, toxic waste inspection, small item recovery, and oil rig pipe inspection. This Mapúa invention can go as deep as 300 feet with maximum horizontal speed at 1.18 feet/second and maximum vertical speed at 0.9 feet/second. Weighing only 4 kg, its turn rate is 45 degrees/second.

The ROV won the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) Award, an international recognition given for creative research and inventions. The project won three other major awards: SIBOL Award (college level) for Outstanding Student Creative Research ( 1 st Place); Philips Most Promising Invention Award (college category – 1 st Place); and the Federation of Filipino-Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Inc., Award (college level) for Outstanding Student Creative Research ( 1 st Place).

The Mapúa Robotics Team received the awards after a week-long exhibition of the entries of the 17 finalists.

The 5-day event was organized and sponsored by the Department of Science and Technology (DOST), thru the Technology Application and Promotion Institute (TAPI).

Viva!
*okay*

Comments

• badabingbadabing capo PExer
    nice, congratulations! mapua needs to involve itself more on things like this(R&D).
    a sure way to fire up students' creativity and get those technical juices flowing. btw, would you know how this project was funded? sure looks expensive to me.

anyway congratulations again, a welcome change from the recent board misfires.
  • ?ngstrom wrote: »
    MAPUANS WON INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION

rm625.gif

The Map?a Robotics Team won international recognition in the 2006 National Inventors? Week held last November 13-17 at the Philippine Trade Training Center, Pasay City.

The team was composed of the following students: Michael S. Poblete, Ivan Karl P. De Vera, Leonard C. Canoza, Jaylord T. Jauod, Harry Balanay, Paul Kevin Diaz, and Charles S. Rico.

The Map?an?s winning project is ?The Low-Cost Underwater Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV).? This innovation was designed to perform such tasks as salvaging assistance, ship hull inspection, accident investigation, toxic waste inspection, small item recovery, and oil rig pipe inspection. This Map?a invention can go as deep as 300 feet with maximum horizontal speed at 1.18 feet/second and maximum vertical speed at 0.9 feet/second. Weighing only 4 kg, its turn rate is 45 degrees/second.

The ROV won the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) Award, an international recognition given for creative research and inventions. The project won three other major awards: SIBOL Award (college level) for Outstanding Student Creative Research ( 1 st Place); Philips Most Promising Invention Award (college category ? 1 st Place); and the Federation of Filipino-Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Inc., Award (college level) for Outstanding Student Creative Research ( 1 st Place).

The Map?a Robotics Team received the awards after a week-long exhibition of the entries of the 17 finalists.

The 5-day event was organized and sponsored by the Department of Science and Technology (DOST), thru the Technology Application and Promotion Institute (TAPI).

Viva!
    *okay*

kilala ko yang si leonard, bf sya nung friend ko.
    galing naman!
    congrats MAPUA!!!*okay*
  • tophe_17tophe_17 ΛuЯoR™ PExer
    Congratulations to the Mapua Robotics Team!

we will strive for the fame and glory... of the M... and I... and T!

Viva Mapua! *okay*
  • makulitzmakulitz Member ✭✭
    i visited mapua last thursday and that was just the time i knew they won such an award. the prototype was displayed at the admin building and i read the whole description about their invention. i was very impressed and amazed to it and felt very proud of them.

sana nga mas bigyan ng pansin ng mapua ang researches kasi sa CE dept. (where i came from), medyo hindi pa ganun ka-develop ang research.

tama si badabing, medyo pang-bawi sa mga hindi magagandang resulta ng board exam.

congrats! viva! *okay*
  • blue_tracerblue_tracer soundscapes ✭✭✭
    congratulations to mapua robotics team :)

nice job in there. we seldom hear this kind of news these days (on research and development) :(
  • grungrun Member PExer
    Ayos! Sana tuluy tuloy na yan:)
  • badabingbadabing capo PExer
    we surely are proud of mapua's success especially when the undertaking contributes in the advancement of school's and country's R&D efforts, however small or insignificant it might be at the moment. you know a lot great inventions and ideas were borne of knowledge accumulated through the years, like newton standing in the shoulders of giants or something.
    but you might also know that R&D costs money, a lot of money and this is the chronic problem of most schools particularly in poor countries like pinas. i was thinking that for those of us who are already working and have some cash to spare, it would be a good to idea help the school monetary-wise or through gifts that could further their efforts. talk is good but cheap.
    what do you say? do we put our money where our mouth is? mapuans don't have a strong history of alumni-giving but it is one of the most effective ways to solicit funds. look at Harvard, Stanford, or even locally Ateneo, they are proud of their school and show it through their contribution. ours may be small in comparison, but heck, we gotta start somewhere!
    post your thoughts here whatever they are, i'm sure no one of us has a monoploy on good ideas.
    ^i agree. unlike other schools (ateneo and dlsu in particular), mit alumni don't contribute that much on the institution's researches and projects. kung pupunta ka ng dlsu/ateneo, mga buildings nila ay karamihan donation ng alumni which is obvious in the name of every hall. from gokongwei, king, yuchengco etc. hindi lang siguro naging tradition sa mapua ang ganung sistema.
  • kaningbrownkaningbrown Member PExer
    I think R&D funding for DLSU comes straight from the budget but I hear it's quite a large chunk of the budget too. Alumni donations usually fall to facilties and budgets for the overhyped athletic communities.

@the invention
    Awesome. I wonder how they were able to get that 300ft max operational limit though. Does mapua provide open access to thesis documentations for nonmembers of the institution?
  • la_flashla_flash Banned by Admin PExer
    congrats sa Mapua :cheers:
    la_flash wrote: »
    congrats sa Mapua :cheers:

yan si la_flash. ang kilabot ng plm! he he he..

san mig ba yan o carlsberg..?
    I think R&D funding for DLSU comes straight from the budget but I hear it's quite a large chunk of the budget too. Alumni donations usually fall to facilties and budgets for the overhyped athletic communities.

@the invention
    Awesome. I wonder how they were able to get that 300ft max operational limit though. Does mapua provide open access to thesis documentations for nonmembers of the institution?

yeah.. i wonder if that invention was already featured in any articles or science mags.. any diagrams..?

puro ece-ee-coe ba kasali sa robotic team? walang me na kasama..? just curious.
  • tophe_17tophe_17 ΛuЯoR™ PExer
    ^ Actually, most of the team members are from ME.
  • la_flashla_flash Banned by Admin PExer
    yan si la_flash. ang kilabot ng plm! he he he..

san mig ba yan o carlsberg..?

Hahaha... bakit naman kilabot? :lol:

San Mig Light lang yan... para di masyado malakas ang tama :lol:
    blue tracer>> more or less 10 members yata sila. ece and me students.

@the invention

try to inquire at mapua. alam ko pwede naman maka-access yung students/alumni from other schools.
  • swimbod21swimbod21 St. Moritz PExer
    ^ yup pwede maka-access ang non-mapuans.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file