DREAMGIRLS: Foxx, Murphy, Knowles and REMEMBER the name JENNIFER HUDSON!

Comments

• quentntarantulaquentntarantula 'wag tularan PExer
    durden wrote: »
    I'm not sure kung kelan papalabs dito. :confused:

I'm not really a fan of musicals (and the story of Dreamgirls isnt one that I Particularly go for) but the buzz surrounding this movie is positively deafening, so now I can't wait to watch it (as well as babel - may alam ba kung kelan to papalabas?).

Bill Condon also directed Kinsey and I think he won an Oscar for writing Gods and Monsters with Ian McKellen.

Ha!!! Maybe early April....

heheheh...

Fuck1n' MMFF!!!!
  • kensamorkensamor Beneath the towering pines PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Is it true that Fantasia Barrino auditioned for the role portrayed by Hudson?
  • 17181718 android PExer
    jennifer hudson had to gain 20 pounds for the role.
  • jammerakwaii10jammerakwaii10 SeeTheLight PEx Expert 🎖️
    Si Fantasia pala of American Idol also auditioned for the role Effie? Kaya lang mas magaling talaga si Jennifer Hudson kahit na runner up lang siya sa AI. The latest buzz is that the academy is eyeing Jennifer as one of the nominees for the upcoming Oscar! Sana nga.

I hope so. Boomie for the win. HEH. :D
  • oreo kookieoreo kookie Pacey Is With Us! PExer
    kensamor wrote: »
    Is it true that Fantasia Barrino auditioned for the role portrayed by Hudson?

maybe...

sabi a lot of singers and actresses daw auditioned for the EFFIE role... i cant imaging fantasia as effie though... shes better vocally but not sure about acting..
  • xiao_gxiao_g mrs. mcavoy PExer
    bumping this thread up, and reposting what i wrote in another thread:

dreamgirls!!! superb! *okay* kwento ko lang, nung nanood ako the audience was predominantly black (a first for me). and they were laughing at some scenes that made me go 'huh? that was funny?'. and they would laugh everytime eddie murphy goes onscreen (heck, even at urkel, for that matter, although isang scene lang naman sya nag-appear). la lang, it was just fun to experience black humor firsthand, eventhough i don't entirely get it. :bungi: loved it though when they applauded at a couple of scenes (one was at jhud's and i am not going and beyonce's listen). parang live musical! :laugh:

add ko lang... love the soundtrack! :)
  • therooftoptherooftop Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    when does it come out in theaters?
  • ErebosErebos Offspring of Chaos PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ^ January, I think. Woah! Cant wait to see Hudson's performance as an actress.:)
  • simoensimoen I'm Simone PExer
    I just saw this movie two nights ago....and Jennifer's solo was gooooood! It's really memorable and worthy of a golden globe nomination. I know it sounds mean but it would be just too soon for her to win an award. Baka lumaki ulo kasi.

As for Beyonce, well....okay naman siya...mejo sawa na ako kay Beyonce but remembering her THS interview, I hope she wins an award. Matagal na niya pinangarap yun. I'm sure Jennifer Hudson dreamt of that too pero bago pa siya eh. I'm not a big Beyonce fan but I feel she deserves an award after all the patience and hardwork, she went through with destiny's child.
    simoen wrote: »
    I just saw this movie two nights ago....and Jennifer's solo was gooooood! It's really memorable and worthy of a golden globe nomination. I know it sounds mean but it would be just too soon for her to win an award. Baka lumaki ulo kasi.

As for Beyonce, well....okay naman siya...mejo sawa na ako kay Beyonce but remembering her THS interview, I hope she wins an award. Matagal na niya pinangarap yun. I'm sure Jennifer Hudson dreamt of that too pero bago pa siya eh. I'm not a big Beyonce fan but I feel she deserves an award after all the patience and hardwork, she went through with destiny's child.

beyonce's acting is still stiff... she's really better singing... besides she has a lot of grammys n din...

the movie's awesome
  • Econ_majorEcon_major Working Fella PExer
    will definitely watch this... grabe...
  • jammerakwaii10jammerakwaii10 SeeTheLight PEx Expert 🎖️
    GO BOOMIE.*okay*
  • AmazingRaceAmazingRace Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    xiao_g wrote: »
    bumping this thread up, and reposting what i wrote in another thread:

dreamgirls!!! superb! *okay* kwento ko lang, nung nanood ako the audience was predominantly black (a first for me). and they were laughing at some scenes that made me go 'huh? that was funny?'. and they would laugh everytime eddie murphy goes onscreen (heck, even at urkel, for that matter, although isang scene lang naman sya nag-appear). la lang, it was just fun to experience black humor firsthand, eventhough i don't entirely get it. :bungi: loved it though when they applauded at a couple of scenes (one was at jhud's and i am not going and beyonce's listen). parang live musical! :laugh:

add ko lang... love the soundtrack! :)

same reactions at the theater I was in Christmas day. Could they be thinking of Eddie Murphy from his Saturday Night Live days? :)

Hudson was good in her big number (and I'm telling you, I'm not going) but I prefer her in the quiet number (I'm changing). Too much screaming in that other number.
    same reactions at the theater I was in Christmas day. Could they be thinking of Eddie Murphy from his Saturday Night Live days? :)

Hudson was good in her big number (and I'm telling you, I'm not going) but I prefer her in the quiet number (I'm changing). Too much screaming in that other number.

i agree... she was mostly shouting nung patapos n yung kanta... anyway, the emote effect worked naman...

parang music video acting ung kay beyonce knowles sa LISTEN...
  • Si Fantasia pala of American Idol also auditioned for the role Effie? Kaya lang mas magaling talaga si Jennifer Hudson kahit na runner up lang siya sa AI. The latest buzz is that the academy is eyeing Jennifer as one of the nominees for the upcoming Oscar! Sana nga.

Reports said Fantasia auditioned and Jamie Foxx wanted her to do the role. I dunno what Condon saw in Hudson. I would guess it was because 1) Hudson was fatter 2) Hudson's rendition (of AIATY) was more faithful to the original. I could imagine what Condon had to put up with during the auditions. I heard hundreds - or thousands? - auditioned for Effie and i would think each one of them had to do that dreaded song. Trust Fantasia to trash the original and make her own version. Condon must have closed his eyes and saw Daffy Duck belting out 'Love me... Love me... Love me.... Loooooooooooooove.....' :glee: Bbut seriously i'd pick Ducky barrino than generic hudson anytime.

But more than hudson, it's the movie that i cant get. Why did they have to do an exact remake of that musical? Do they really think we need another version of AIATY? And what's more weird, is that its been getting so much oscar buzz?!

Oh well if they thought titanic was better than la confidential, good will hunting and full monty, i wont be surprised if this campfest becomes best picture.
  • durdendurden Member PExer
    I think the thing with DREAMGIRLS is that it may not be a particularly great movie ala the Departed or The Queen (I haven't seen it yet though). But the fact is, the Academy is all about buzz. They don't necessarily pick the best movies as best pictures. But right now, all the buzz is with Dreamgirls. Owe that to perfect timing and incredible promotion.

On JHud - I was never even a fan of hers during the show. I never got why people thought she was so special - I thought she overdid every one of her performances and that she was just another belter. However, I cannot even say how happy I am for her and all the buzz she's been getting. I heard she was amazing in this film, and I might see it just to see her. Oprah called her performance a "religious experience." Of course, it doesn't really hurt that the role of Effie is pure Oscar-bait anyway.

At this point, it looks like its going to be The Departed vs. Dreamgirls for best picture.
  • Ophelia_KillsOphelia_Kills Moderator PExer
    Sorry, folks. Watch it for one reason... Jennifer Hudson. I was actually not expecting to like her in this because I felt all the hype in every damn review was overkill. Plus my mom is a super fan since American Idol days ni J-Hud, kaya medyo sawa na ako kaka gush nya kay J-Hud.

And then I actually watched her, and MYGOD the whole damn packed theater was CHEERING and CLAPPING for her. It was like you were in Broadway, the way they reacted. Never in my life have I seen people (I MEAN EVERY. ONE.) literally wait for the credits until someone's name was shown. There was only ONE name they reacted to and it was hers.

The film loses momentum when she isn't being shown, when her strong presence isn't there.

And I disagree about the shouting/screaming comments in "And I'm Telling You" this is a woman who was losing everything, she was showing her utter desperation and anger. Jennifer Holiday was practically bursting in her Broadway performance of that song. Although it's unfair to compare J-Hud and J Holiday because they are tackling two very different mediums, Jennifer Holiday's version showed strength in her despair kay J-Hud played up more on the tragic side of her character, more delicate.

Everyone was pretty good. Eddie Murphy was hilarious. Jamie Foxx is a natural. I felt Beyonce was better in the first part of her film but she seems very stiff all throughout and had one friggin' facial expression. But she wasn't that bad. Asar lang ako talagang siningit yung Listen na single nya. After watching Jennifer Hudson pour her soul out and blare her heart out, all I kept thinking was "sit down, Beyonce. Sit down." Anti-climatic.

The editing was choppy, the transitions for some of the songs made you go HUH?! WTF? i.e. We Are A Family. I know it was a musical but maybe change some of the transitions for a movie, it came off awkward in most parts. The story was ho-hum it was only saved by brilliant performances... especially by Hudson.

I doubt this would win Best Picture against The Departed but J-Hud seems like a shoo-in for this one.

The audience in this one is predominantly black and bading na love ang original Dreamgirls na may matching disco hats pa at nagwawala nung pinatugtog ang One Night Only. :lol:

Pasensya na at J-Hud tawag ko sa kanya sanay ako sa AI3 days, good thing I met her at one point and even took a picture. If one is destined to be a star --- it is truly gonna happen, even if you are a 7th placer in a talent show and was told over and over, you weren't going to be one. *okay*
  • jani14344jani14344 Member PExer
    jennifer hudson owned this movie

its so weird seeing people give a standing ovation but that happened in the theatre i was in

i doubt mangyari sa pinas but it was an experience watching her in this movie

i hope she gets nominated sa oscars and hopefully kakantahin niya ang i am telling you ng live, wish lang man eh
    i told you... she aint going nowhere...
    Sorry, folks. Watch it for one reason... Jennifer Hudson. I was actually not expecting to like her in this because I felt all the hype in every damn review was overkill. Plus my mom is a super fan since American Idol days ni J-Hud, kaya medyo sawa na ako kaka gush nya kay J-Hud.

And then I actually watched her, and MYGOD the whole damn packed theater was CHEERING and CLAPPING for her. It was like you were in Broadway, the way they reacted. Never in my life have I seen people (I MEAN EVERY. ONE.) literally wait for the credits until someone's name was shown. There was only ONE name they reacted to and it was hers.

The film loses momentum when she isn't being shown, when her strong presence isn't there.

And I disagree about the shouting/screaming comments in "And I'm Telling You" this is a woman who was losing everything, she was showing her utter desperation and anger. Jennifer Holiday was practically bursting in her Broadway performance of that song. Although it's unfair to compare J-Hud and J Holiday because they are tackling two very different mediums, Jennifer Holiday's version showed strength in her despair kay J-Hud played up more on the tragic side of her character, more delicate.

Everyone was pretty good. Eddie Murphy was hilarious. Jamie Foxx is a natural. I felt Beyonce was better in the first part of her film but she seems very stiff all throughout and had one friggin' facial expression. But she wasn't that bad. Asar lang ako talagang siningit yung Listen na single nya. After watching Jennifer Hudson pour her soul out and blare her heart out, all I kept thinking was "sit down, Beyonce. Sit down." Anti-climatic.

The editing was choppy, the transitions for some of the songs made you go HUH?! WTF? i.e. We Are A Family. I know it was a musical but maybe change some of the transitions for a movie, it came off awkward in most parts. The story was ho-hum it was only saved by brilliant performances... especially by Hudson.

I doubt this would win Best Picture against The Departed but J-Hud seems like a shoo-in for this one.

The audience in this one is predominantly black and bading na love ang original Dreamgirls na may matching disco hats pa at nagwawala nung pinatugtog ang One Night Only. :lol:

Pasensya na at J-Hud tawag ko sa kanya sanay ako sa AI3 days, good thing I met her at one point and even took a picture. If one is destined to be a star --- it is truly gonna happen, even if you are a 7th placer in a talent show and was told over and over, you weren't going to be one. *okay*

simon cowell lost a gold mine in her...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file