FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

2007 Asean Football Championship

oca1oca1 Member PExer
Tapos na qualifiers, I think we should start a new thread for the championship proper.

Let's start with this-

Nationals draw tough Asean football group

By Cedelf P. Tupas
Inquirer
Last updated 02:08am (Mla time) 11/28/2006

Published on page A24 of the November 28, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

THE PHILIPPINES, the second lowest-ranked Southeast Asian country in football, yesterday wound up in a tough draw in the 2007 Asean Football Championship after being bracketed in a group with three-time champion and co-host Thailand.

Ranked 184th in the world, the RP booters, who overcame Brunei, Timor Leste and Cambodia in the Asean Football Championship-Qualifiers in Bacolod City to advance to the tournament proper, is in the group that also has 2004 semifinalist Malaysia and Myanmar.

Hoping to ride the momentum of their impressive home victories, the Filipinos face Malaysia on Jan. 12, 2007 before colliding with the Thais two days later. Myanmar will be the Filipinos’ last assignment on Jan. 16.

Except for the absence of Timor Leste, which failed to qualify, the group where the Philippines is bracketed is closely similar to two years ago when the event was played in Malaysia.

There, the Filipinos narrowly lost to Myanmar, 0-1, before dropping out of contention following setbacks at the hands of Malaysia (1-4) and Thailand (1-3).

The other group includes reigning titlist and co-host Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia and top qualifier Laos, which defeated the Philippines, 2-1, in Bacolod. Only the top two teams from each group will advance to the semifinals.

Though his players are based in three different continents, RP coach Aris Caslib expressed confidence that he would be able to retain the same lineup for the tournament.

“We hope to retain 100 percent of the squad,” Caslib said. “We need at least three weeks of training together to have a good chance in the Asean Championship.”

Caslib’s biggest cause of concern is star striker Phil Younghusband, who is under contract with the reserves team of Chelsea, a top British club.

Comments

• spider_jay_arspider_jay_ar sa tABi-taBi LaNg PExer
    I think we can perform better this time around. Take a look at the results of the last Tiger Cup and you would see that we were not blown out by the competition. With the current line up that we have, i won't be surprised if we reach the semis.....
  • oca1oca1 Member PExer
    To the football hardcore fans here, question lang po.

I browsed the Doha Games site and found out that Thailand and Malaysia, countries we will be playing in the group matches at the ASEAN C'ship, are competing. Though the Asian Games event is for Under-23, my question is ---

Will it be beneficial for our cause if our coaches scout these countries in the Asian Games?

I presume, a good number of their under-23 players at the Asian Games will also play for the "regular national teams".
  • oca1oca1 Member PExer
    I think we can perform better this time around. Take a look at the results of the last Tiger Cup and you would see that we were not blown out by the competition. With the current line up that we have, i won't be surprised if we reach the semis.....

Not meaning to be sarcastic, pero di ba sa football pag naiskoran ka ng 4-1 at 3-1, eh, blow out yun?

Though, I still "like" the scoreline with us scoring a goal in previous meetings against Malaysia and Thailand. Unlike before na himala talaga pag naka-iskor.

But, yes two years na ang nagdaan at nakita na rin natin ang labanan nuong nakaraang SEA Games, I am more hopeful now na mas maganda ang score line sa Enero.
  • thescenethescene Member PExer
    I think a resonable target for us would be 4 points. A win agianst Myanmar and a draw against Malaysia.
  • nickngnickng booty nomad PExer
    I was wondering what happened when people stopped replying to the old thread about the ASEAN qualifiers. :lol:

So the Younghusbands aren't sure if they'll be joining the team? And they won't be able to practice before the Championship itself?
  • JeffreywJeffreyw Member PExer
    Will Freddy Gonzales be able to play?
  • XetraDAXXetraDAX Konnichiwa! PExer
    ang labo naman ni Gonzales eh. i though he made a commitment to play for the qualifiers as early as the start of this year, pero wala parin siya. pardon my ignorance pero what happened to him?
    ^^ oo nga...dati nagrereklamo sya na wala syang katulong sa philippine team....tapos ngayong meron na syang makakatulong saka naman sya nawala....
  • El RafaEl Rafa Madridista PExer
    If you guys know what football crazy is (show on starsports) then try to watch the replay of this week's ep. A pinoy azkal fan emailed then and asked them to show something about our foot team. They interviewed the coach and some of the half pinoys on the team. They were talking about their preparations for the next couple of games and showed clips of them training in that field beside Ultra
  • red_trackred_track Member PExer
    line up please
    ^^ wala pa ata definite line-up para sa 2007 ASEAN Football Championships....
  • oca1oca1 Member PExer
    RP booters gun for glory

Inquirer
    Last updated 08:11am (Mla time) 12/01/2006

Published on Page A30 of the December 1, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

TEAM PHILIPPINES seeks more glory when it takes on some of the football powers of Southeast Asia in the 2007 Asean football championship starting Jan. 12 in Bangkok, Thailand.

The Philippines is bracketed in Group A with Malaysia, Myanmar (Burma) and host three-time winner Thailand. Matches will be played at the Suphachalasai Stadium and Army Stadium.

Boosted by Filipino booters based abroad, the RP Team -- led by brothers James and Phil Younghusband -- is looking to sustain the momentum of a three-game winning streak that started in Bacolod City last month.

National coach Aris Caslib and his boys, described by Philippine Football Federation president Johnny Romualdez as the strongest national selection in a decade, tackle the Malaysians on Jan. 12, the Thais on Jan. 14 and the Burmese on Jan. 16.

Meanwhile, Christopher Zimmer, Lufthansa’s general manager for Guam, Micronesia and the Philippines said the German national airline and sponsor-partner of the PFF will do all it can to fly in the European-based Filipinos in time for intensive training early January.

PFF media chief Ed Formoso added that talks to beam the RP matches “live from Thailand” were ongoing.

And should the Philippines make it to the semifinal, Formoso predicted that a “Return to Panaad” in Bacolod City will be an unforgettable epic in Philippine football history.

The group stages will be held in Singapore and Thailand from Jan. 12-17, with the top two teams from each group progressing to the semifinals on Jan. 23-24 and Jan. 27-28. The finals will also be played over two legs on Jan. 31 and Feb. 4.
    ^^ wow!!!

semifinals in Panaad!!!

20,000 in qualifiers!!!

50,000 in semis!!!
  • El RafaEl Rafa Madridista PExer
    Why is it sooooo far!!! :(
    ^ Bacolod lang yan. And the reason is because Manilans wouldn't know their football from cricket. :lol:
  • oca1 wrote: »
    Not meaning to be sarcastic, pero di ba sa football pag naiskoran ka ng 4-1 at 3-1, eh, blow out yun?

Though, I still "like" the scoreline with us scoring a goal in previous meetings against Malaysia and Thailand. Unlike before na himala talaga pag naka-iskor.

But, yes two years na ang nagdaan at nakita na rin natin ang labanan nuong nakaraang SEA Games, I am more hopeful now na mas maganda ang score line sa Enero.

What was the score when the Philippines played Thailand in the SEAG? 0-1?
  • nickng wrote: »
    ^ Bacolod lang yan. And the reason is because Manilans wouldn't know their football from cricket. :lol:

I thought I heard on Sports Radio that the Championships can only be held in capital cities.
  • oi!!, finally meron ding thread ang AFC*okay*

hello, pips

olrayt, dito na tayo sa totoo;)
  • I thought I heard on Sports Radio that the Championships can only be held in capital cities.

Yes, that is why they check the Marikina and ULTRA stadium if in case we get in to the semifinals. They judged it to be substandard. hehe. We should build a new football stadium here in Manila (I was thinking of near SM Mall of Asia). It would be a perfect site.
    Yes, that is why they check the Marikina and ULTRA stadium if in case we get in to the semifinals. They judged it to be substandard. hehe. We should build a new football stadium here in Manila (I was thinking of near SM Mall of Asia). It would be a perfect site.
    For that to happen, we'd need a regular football club to stage games at the site. Maybe one of the teams from Ang Liga could get corporate sponsorship. :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file