FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

MBA fil-ams..

mac04mac04 MACtivation.. PExer
What happened to the MBA fil-ams like AC Brown (manila metrostar), Matt Mitchell (cebu gems), Philip Newton (San Juan Knights), Cid White (Nueva Ecija Patriots/Davao Eagles), Stephen Antonio(Batangas Blades.. I think he's the bro of william antonio), John Dumont(Pasig-Rizal Pirates), Chris Clay and Jeff Flowers(Laguna Lakers)? Any info of them?
«13

Comments

  • team slickteam slick Ghost Barbarian ✭✭
    ac brown - i dont think he will make the cut in the pba, 6'2-6'3 small forward with no shooting whatsoever, i think he was more of an inside player beside adducul as the lengthy don camaso prefers to stay outside the lane on offense.

    matt mitchell - was supposed to be direct hire by shell, but due to problems in his citizenship (?), possibly couldnt make the cut, was reknowed for his dancing during the national anthem if im not mistaken, besides that temper of his will cause him to be easily ejected (e.g. rasheed wallace), good post up game, 6'4-6'5 inside banger with a soft touch, best case scenario? possibly a better version of billy mamaril when billy was with shell

    cid white - refer to the description of ac brown above, same reference and game playing style

    stephen antonio - younger brother of william antonio, dunno what happened to this kid, its a shame that he didnt make it to the pba, could have been what mike holper was last yr, provide interior defense, shooting from the outside, or worst case scenario becomes michael hrabak

    john dumont/philip newton - i dont think this guys would make the cut either, if cid white or ac brown which were 2nd or 3rd option guys in their respective teams couldnt make it, how about this guys? they're only consider role players for their teams

    jeffrey flowers - if im not mistaken, he wed a filipina and now works as an investment broker in the states? correct me if im wrong. Was previously coaching a NBDL team, has the height and bulk to make it to the league but honestly best case scenario would be a more agile bonel balingit

    chris clay - this guy could have been the next big thing. Smaller version of kelly williams with more offensive firepower. Pity that he may have been a fil sham but he played as an import for sta lucia a couple of yrs back and hold his own against fellow americans. Goes to show how good tihs baller is. Could possibly give danny seigle a run for his money as dynamite or the most exciting player in the league. Still weird though his nickname is white thunder? probably for the sonic boom that his dunks bring
  • KobeWanKenobiKobeWanKenobi Basketball Fan ✭✭✭
    Flowers, just like his teammate Clay, was also another Fil-sham and this was even confirmed by MyPBA poster and Air21 insider marvalvarez.

    According to Marv, when Air21 signed Flowers and Clay, they accepted with good graces the two player's assertion that they were indeed Fil-Ams. But when Air21 joined the PBA, it was found out that they were fake.
  • mac04mac04 MACtivation.. PExer
    team slick wrote: »
    ac brown - i dont think he will make the cut in the pba, 6'2-6'3 small forward with no shooting whatsoever, i think he was more of an inside player beside adducul as the lengthy don camaso prefers to stay outside the lane on offense.

    matt mitchell - was supposed to be direct hire by shell, but due to problems in his citizenship (?), possibly couldnt make the cut, was reknowed for his dancing during the national anthem if im not mistaken, besides that temper of his will cause him to be easily ejected (e.g. rasheed wallace), good post up game, 6'4-6'5 inside banger with a soft touch, best case scenario? possibly a better version of billy mamaril when billy was with shell

    cid white - refer to the description of ac brown above, same reference and game playing style

    stephen antonio - younger brother of william antonio, dunno what happened to this kid, its a shame that he didnt make it to the pba, could have been what mike holper was last yr, provide interior defense, shooting from the outside, or worst case scenario becomes michael hrabak

    john dumont/philip newton - i dont think this guys would make the cut either, if cid white or ac brown which were 2nd or 3rd option guys in their respective teams couldnt make it, how about this guys? they're only consider role players for their teams

    jeffrey flowers - if im not mistaken, he wed a filipina and now works as an investment broker in the states? correct me if im wrong. Was previously coaching a NBDL team, has the height and bulk to make it to the league but honestly best case scenario would be a more agile bonel balingit

    chris clay - this guy could have been the next big thing. Smaller version of kelly williams with more offensive firepower. Pity that he may have been a fil sham but he played as an import for sta lucia a couple of yrs back and hold his own against fellow americans. Goes to show how good tihs baller is. Could possibly give danny seigle a run for his money as dynamite or the most exciting player in the league. Still weird though his nickname is white thunder? probably for the sonic boom that his dunks bring



    Thanks for the info dude.. how about kenny evans? any info on him?
  • KobeWanKenobiKobeWanKenobi Basketball Fan ✭✭✭
    Other MBA Fil-Ams beside those noted above are Rudy Hatfield (who's now with Ginebra) and Ethel Booba's flame Alex Crisano.
  • team slick wrote: »
    chris clay - this guy could have been the next big thing. Smaller version of kelly williams with more offensive firepower. Pity that he may have been a fil sham but he played as an import for sta lucia a couple of yrs back and hold his own against fellow americans. Goes to show how good tihs baller is. Could possibly give danny seigle a run for his money as dynamite or the most exciting player in the league. Still weird though his nickname is white thunder? probably for the sonic boom that his dunks bring

    im not really sure but it sounds that you're talking about Rob Parker(correct the name if its wrong) whom they tried to connect his mom's roots to batangas province

    the last time i heard of cris clay is that he's playing in europe
  • team slickteam slick Ghost Barbarian ✭✭
    ^
    thanks but im pretty sure white thunder was the nick name giving to chris clay because of his skin color. Rob parker was a nasty gangster though, imagine if he was legit? Would have been good for the league talent wise, but his head would probably prohibit him from playing up to his potential anyways. As for the other filams that i can remember, i believe kenny evans was a 6'1-6'2 pg with some post up game and nice court vision but lacks shooting. If im not mistaken, he was either sign up by tanduay during that time or san miguel, i recall him making to the pba but didnt really made a lasting impression. Some of the more renowned players from the defunct mba to make it to the pba rosters as i recall from the top of my head

    ginebra - rudy hatfield, mark macapagal, egay echavez
    welcoat - rob wainwright
    san miguel -dorian pena, dondon hontiveros, francis adriano, rommel adducul, omanzie rodriguez
    sta lucia - paeng santos, norman gonzales
    purefoods - marc pingris, peter simon
    talk and text - felix belano
    alaska - reynel hugnatan, eddie laure
    coke - jason misolas(?)
    red bull - topex robinson, celino cruz
    air21 - wynne arboleda, aries dimanunahan(?)

    those with ? means im not definitely sure if they had a short stint, feel free to add if i miss out anyone
  • roadwarriorroadwarrior Member PExer
    jason misolas never played in the mba...neither did aries dimaunahan or mark macapagal

    i think you missed chris calaguio, willie miller, john ferriols, allan salangsang, joey mente
  • mac04mac04 MACtivation.. PExer
    I think theres an african player from socsargen marlins.. I don't know if I spelled it right something jallah? any info on this guy?
  • sw000shsw000sh Overseer PExer
    team slick wrote: »
    jeffrey flowers - if im not mistaken, he wed a filipina and now works as an investment broker in the states?

    His wife is a fellow PEXer :)
  • nastransnastrans pinoybasebol.wordpress.co m PExer
    I think theres an african player from socsargen marlins.. I don't know if I spelled it right something jallah? any info on this guy?

    Oh yeah, Jalaah Smith or Smith Jalaah played for the Socsargen Marlins during the '99 season. I believe he disappeared into obscurity after that season.
  • team slick wrote: »
    ^
    As for the other filams that i can remember, i believe kenny evans was a 6'1-6'2 pg with some post up game and nice court vision but lacks shooting. If im not mistaken, he was either sign up by tanduay during that time or san miguel, i recall him making to the pba but didnt really made a lasting impression.


    6'0(he looks 5'10 though) speedy guard kenny evans was signed by alaska but i dont know what happen afterwards, he just disappears
  • spongklongspongklong chuBBy PExer
    nastrans wrote: »
    Oh yeah, Jalaah Smith or Smith Jalaah played for the Socsargen Marlins during the '99 season. I believe he disappeared into obscurity after that season.

    smith jallah is NOT a fil-am! he was an import (ala sam ekwe) for the PSBA jaguars in the late ninetys.. nagulat nga ako nun maglaro siya sa MBA eh..

    anyways here's a link where you can find some players mentioned above.

    http://www.asia-basket.com/abr.asp?Cntry=PHI&CntryNbr=29

    you'll be surprised to see some homegrown players are playing for NT for other countries.. although i'm not pretty sure of its veracity.
  • mac04mac04 MACtivation.. PExer
    spongklong wrote: »
    smith jallah is NOT a fil-am! he was an import (ala sam ekwe) for the PSBA jaguars in the late ninetys.. nagulat nga ako nun maglaro siya sa MBA eh..

    anyways here's a link where you can find some players mentioned above.

    http://www.asia-basket.com/abr.asp?Cntry=PHI&CntryNbr=29

    you'll be surprised to see some homegrown players are playing for NT for other countries.. although i'm not pretty sure of its veracity.

    Allowed ba import dati sa mba?
  • Direct HitDirect Hit Member PExer
    No imports. They declared it as Fil Ams. Like Alex Compton
  • theionmantheionman webmaster na sweet lover PExer
    john ferriols, kalani fererria and rafi reavis also came from MBA -- fererria and reavis had the chance to play for the San Juan Knights, alongside Omanzie Rodriguez and Chris Calaguio. ferriols dons negros slashers
  • theionmantheionman webmaster na sweet lover PExer
    you also forgot to mention willie miller who played for the N.E. Patriots
  • farkasfarkas Peon ✭✭
    how about hugnatan? he played for the slashers, right?

    si magtulis asan na ba?
  • KobeWanKenobiKobeWanKenobi Basketball Fan ✭✭✭
    Direct Hit wrote: »
    No imports. They declared it as Fil Ams. Like Alex Compton

    That's because the MBA has a different set of rules regarding Fil-Ams compared with the PBA. They consider anyone born in the Philippines to be Fil-Am even if they don't have any Filipino parent.

    On the other hand, the PBA more closely follows the Philippine Constitution on qualifying who is a Filipino or not. Basically the constitution considers anyone who has one Filipino parent (at the time of his birth) to be a Filipino (or claim Filipino citizenship) and that is basically what the PBA does.

    So legal wise, the PBA's Fil-Am rules are much more in tune with the law of the country. MBA's rules on the other hand doesn't do the same.
  • ai#3ai#3 we talkin' bout practice?! PExer
    how bout Sanders of Batangas Blades? ang alam ko naman batang 'Gapo yun.
  • KobeWanKenobiKobeWanKenobi Basketball Fan ✭✭✭
    Sanders can be considered a Fil-Am in both the PBA and MBA's rules.
«13

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file