COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance. Please update your email address.

Thanks,
pexer99

career shift

fedorfedor Member PExer
Guys i need your help. I am planning to shift my career from accounting to IT. I am a licensed accountant but the work doesn't really interest me (forgive me fellow CPAs pero IMHO it's actually bean-counting):love: . Masarap lang sya pag-aralan because of the fact that it is one of the hardest board exams (talking about pride) but in the actual practice, i find no fulfillment doing accounting work (coz for me, i don't find value in adding, subtracting numbers....haaayy:( ) . At the same time, i felt that i really wanted to IT because of the value its brings to the world today (i want to be a part of that). Darn, now i want to do something valuable in my 8-5, 5 days a week time. Oops, medyo humahaba na ang post ko, it looks like a blog na. :p

Ok, IT people, i need your help. I have few questions.
1. since this would be my second course, do you of a school that offers only the core subjects (wala ng social sciences, history, religion)...on programming (Java, C++, VB....also SAP and Oracle, crystal reports)?
2. Can you name me your top 3 schools in this field? yung patok sa employers and very competitive ang turo.
3. Where does programming belong? computer science ba o comp engng? for my enrolment purposes.

Yun lang, but any other thoughts and advices would be appreciated*okay* . Please no bashing of IT schools, this is a serious thread. I might have offended some CPAs here in PEX but please understand that this is only an opinion. But this thread may also serve those who wanted a shift not only cpas but to other profession as well. Thanks people!!*okay*

Comments

• dalepatrickdalepatrick Member PExer
    :lol: its ok, i'm in the accounting field.:D anyway, a little contradiction lang, it really depends on your interest. accounting is really boring if you're job is just to deal with the financial statements, ITRs, payroll etc. but if you're given the work where you are one of the decision-makers, naku ako na nagsasabi sayo, astig maging CPA! lalo na pag may sideline ka na pwede ka kumita, like ayusin ang market value ng isang malaking lupain tapos ibbenta tapos may commission ka,:lol: tska in my experience, madali maghakot ng pera pag CPA ka, di sa mukha kang pera ha, pero iba talaga eh, mahabang explanation. anyway, in my opinion if you have enough IT knowledge, you don't need to enroll for an IT course. My brother's boss is an accountant, but they are into softwares, hardwares etc. nasa isang big IT company sila. pero if you persist and ofcourse it will benefit you, follow your dream*okay*
  • bankereconomistbankereconomist Finance Executive PExer
    I am not IT student/graduate but i'd like to answer the questions

1. you have to take up all subjects required otherwise they will not give you a diploma. subjects with the same description and above average rating will be credited unless the school you want to enroll in does not allow it.
    2. - - - bahala na ang ibang pexer dito
    3. siguro kahit saan may programming, kahit undergrad na minor computer subjects meron what more to computer courses.
  • stephen_ypstephen_yp Member PExer
    Are you kidding? Hehe. Anyway, I respect your opinion. :)

What accounting field are you in? Have you tried publice practice (external audit)?

Auditing is really more exciting. At first, talagang ayaw ko siya, but in the long run I think ok na siya lalo na pag ikaw na ang in-charge sa mga audit engagements. plus, with the recent developments in International Financial Reporting Standards, mas lalo pa akong nachallenge!

You'll be overworked and faced with deadlines as April 15 approaches. But the good thing is you'll be in the accounting elite. You'll be treated well by your clients. You'll got the chance to travel and study different companies in various industries. Your work is very dynamic and you'll meet so many people!

Also, napakadiverse po ng Accounting! That you can shift from one field to another pag na bored ka na (Public practice, commerce and industry, academe, governement ang major fields). Mas maganda pang-experience talaga sa Audit. Marketable kana after 3 years of experience! You can even try US, if not transfer to the next field (yan if hindi mo feel maging partner sa audit... hehe)!

Malaki na ang sweldo sa private companies lalo na after you gained experience sa public practice! Yun nga lang may mga trabaho talagang nakakabore na. But as you climb up the corporate ladder, i dont think mabobored ka pa! You'll have no time for it as you will become the Controller, CFO or CEO!

I have a CPA friend also who will be working in a big 4 firm in US soon with me. Under IT audit siya, while i'm in regular audit. Payo lang, if you really love IT, i think its better if you try IT audit. hehe. Yun nga lang medyo mahirap din makapasok, topnotcher din kasi yun.

But parang decided ka na jan eh, so follow your heart na lang!!! Kung hindi mo talaga feel mag-Accounting, then go for IT!
  • komitetkomitet Member PExer
    had this same crossroad 13 years ago, career change was the only way i can uplift my livelihood and have a healthier working schedule thatn graveyard shift or being afraid of automation redundancy so i shifted to IT and picked the most nearest tech career with the few skills i have, so i shifted to software testing. Its like auditing the software that developers are coding, endless and sustainable job, i mentioned 13years right? i was a finance major took the cheapest way to get a degree we were struggling in college days and felt really like a bottom feeder na promdi sa college nun, i documented my journey here, careershift2it(.)com how to start, what to learn, how to prep ur cv and interview, maybe my blog can be of help. from the point of view of non-tech guy now who built a career in IT.  careershift2it(.)com 
  • joytoledojoytoledo Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    fedor said:
    Guys i need your help. I am planning to shift my career from accounting to IT. I am a licensed accountant but the work doesn't really interest me (forgive me fellow CPAs pero IMHO it's actually bean-counting):love: . Masarap lang sya pag-aralan because of the fact that it is one of the hardest board exams (talking about pride) but in the actual practice, i find no fulfillment doing accounting work (coz for me, i don't find value in adding, subtracting numbers....haaayy:( ) . At the same time, i felt that i really wanted to IT because of the value its brings to the world today (i want to be a part of that). Darn, now i want to do something valuable in my 8-5, 5 days a week time. Oops, medyo humahaba na ang post ko, it looks like a blog na. :p

Ok, IT people, i need your help. I have few questions.
    1. since this would be my second course, do you of a school that offers only the core subjects (wala ng social sciences, history, religion)...on programming (Java, C++, VB....also SAP and Oracle, crystal reports)?
    2. Can you name me your top 3 schools in this field? yung patok sa employers and very competitive ang turo.
    3. Where does programming belong? computer science ba o comp engng? for my enrolment purposes.

Yun lang, but any other thoughts and advices would be appreciated*okay* . Please no bashing of IT schools, this is a serious thread. I might have offended some CPAs here in PEX but please understand that this is only an opinion. But this thread may also serve those who wanted a shift not only cpas but to other profession as well. Thanks people!!*okay*
    I can recommend to you our school, CAP College Foundation, Inc., a distance/online education where you just study at home or any place you are comfortable with at your own time, at your own pace. We offer Bachelor of Arts major in Information Technology. You can send your transcript of records to me and we will evaluate your subjects taken as to how many subjects can be credited in BA IT.
    Are you a Transferee of the old curriculum? You can still enroll even if you have not gone through Senior High School. Our new courses have bridging subjects which you can take in lieu of the Senior High School.  Enroll now at CAP College, the Distance/Online Education, the pioneener in distance education in the Philippines, established in 1988 and recognized by CHED.
    For details, email me at [email protected] or FB Messenger Jocelyn Maria Mosqueda Toledo.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file