What can you say about the overall state of the entertainment industry?

El_MestizoEl_Mestizo Banned by Admin PExer
curious lang ako.

ano bang masasabi niyo sa overall state ng Philippine entertainment industry? has its quality over the years improved or has it deteriorated? has the industry been able to contribute to the social well-being of the people?

come on. post your answers please. :)

Comments

• %09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09medium-House-flies-mating.jpg

ay,mga langaw. yun lang, nyahahaha
  • Mario DudeMario Dude Member PExer
    errrrrrr.........................
  • speed0008speed0008 Member PExer
    halllllleeerrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

anong panama nyang SAM MILBY & Dennis Trillo na yan sa pa pinaka gwafung nilalang dito sa KSA ???????? (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia)

na walang iba kundi si kafusong jmm23998???????

kitang-kits naman nyo ang ebidensya?????????!!!!!!!

wooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh!

gwafu gwafu nya talagah!!!!!!!!!!

it will improve.............

if................

papasok na sya sa showbiz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pls.............. help me to convince him...................................

66CD479020gorilla20cloned20220blur2.jpg
  • jaynormousjaynormous wag kang bibitiw PExer
    better than before... more people are working. but still could be better. more film producers than Star and Regal... more aggressive programming from ABC, RPN, IBC, etc...
  • lovapaloozalovapalooza I want to marry a princess PExer
    errrr...... can someone give me the RATINGS of this thread... ??? mukhang maraming... dumadapo eh.....(di ko sinasabing langaw ok??)
    buhay pa pala tong thread na to? parang naaagnas na eh..
    there's gonna be a revival.. yohooo.....
  • Boo1607Boo1607 Wanker PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Haha! Parang wala ni isang sumagot sa tanong ng thread starter! :lol:

:rocker:
  • GeneralGrangerGeneralGranger Brutal Enemy PExer
    The Philippine entertainment industry is a very good indicator of what we are right now.

As a people we lionize people with white skin, the "mestizos", while we heap down the worst of insults on people of our kind, brown-skinned people, the "indios". We continue to buy skin care products endorsed by these white people we see on TV and the movies. It's also done in TV, especially in, ehem, comedy programs, where you see an "insults chain" that works pretty much like a food chain (Remember your biology class?). The "indios", extras, occupy the lower levels of the chain while the "mestizos", the elites, the lead actors, occupy the top levels. The "mestizos" are free to make fun of the "indios" while the reverse isn't allowed, and all the people laugh. This implicitly encourage the people to perpetuate the self-insult, since this brings entertainment to them. We continue to worship what is foreign and abhor our own.

The entertainment industry is dominated by only a few people, not to mention the showbiz clans. Who makes the movies? Who makes the TV shows? Practically the same people, save for the indie guys. The actors and actresses you see in TV are also the ones you see on the movies. And since the industry is dominated by only a few, we have a lack of ideas. Hence the shows we have, following the same formula time after time. Whatever really new ideas that get introduced are merely treated as novelty, and are eventually forgotten, especially if they are revolutionary. These people who control the industry merely entrench themselves in power even further as time passes. Yes, we have an oligarchy.

The people right now see the entertainment industry as a means to get out of poverty. That's why hordes audition for talent searches and reality shows. However, these talent searches rarely, if ever, find talented people. Moreover, these shows are better at showcasing how the judges can be good at "pang-ookray" (for lack of a better word). Celebrities that come through these searches do not last that long. If they are not "in" anymore, the networks eventually neglect them, since the hype has already died down. They just go back to their former lives, wondering if they should have pursued their studies instead. From rags to riches and back to rags. The networks have merely exploited them, and got our money as well as that of the advertisers.

Because we measure success through popularity and material possessions, we elect people from showbiz into office, even to the presidency. Notwithstanding the inadequate qualifications they might have, we elect them because they're the ones we see on TV or the movies. The industry, influential as it is, could have made efforts to change the public's general perception of success and achievement, but instead reinforced them.

The entertainment industry continues to help keep the elite in power and distort the country's sense of values.

(pasensya na, medyo magulo pa, bad trip kasi ako dahil masama na naman ang performance ng fantasy premier league squad ko)
  • emericemeric No te quiero hablar PExer
    Ideas are being recycled.

Star-lets come and go.

Established stars remain despite the fact that some of them are not that good.

Showbiz children are overrated. Some of them are not really good. They have the impression that they're also good because their parents have established names.

Talent searches are rampant. In the end, only a few remain.
  • bluetheherobluethehero unsung hero PExer
    TV INDUSTRY

undeniably, TV competition is at its fiercest [is there such term?]

however, the industry has become dominantly "too entertaining"; lesser on value, because if such is not the case, then there's no need for a war between kapamilyas and kapusos.

it has also become an industry of literally xeroxing each other's ideas, as well as an industry of crabs.

while there are too many stars right now, and probably more jobs than before, i dont think that the quality was able to stay on track or at pace with the quantity of stars and work opportunities.

lastly, the status quo of the entertainment industry made entities and people conscious on profit, or should i say, industry rank. because if such is not the case, then the war on who really has the biggest share of the pie on philippine tv will be just an ordinary competition. also, all the stars would have had more respect with each other even if they work on different stations.

MOVIE INDUSTRY

Yup, it is declining. I think for every 7 or 8 films, only one has quality. the rest are just pure entertainment, with less regard on values. quantity wise, i think as each year passes by, films being produced become lesser. only a few local outfits produce films even if it not MMFF.

MUSIC INDUSTRY

probably there are fewer Lea Salonga or Regine Velasquez material, but the number of good artists increased, and i really mean good artists. i think this is also the time when the pinoys had high regards and more appreciation to OPM.
  • elmSFelmSF your door next door PExer
    I think that the television industry is improving but the movie industry is declining in its worth. Unlike before when there were a lot of production companies, ngayon parang iilan na lang yung major movie production companies and minsan pa nga yung mga giant movie companies na to ang hilig pa makipagtieup sa mga popular brands to co-produce the film and para sa product placement sa movies. IMHO, it cheapens the movie. I liked the movie Feng Shui very much but can't help but cringe when I remember that scene where they shamelessly plugged Chunkee corned beef.

And there are very few quality films kasi nga mahirap nang magtake ng risk na gumawa ng movie about sa mga more important matters kasi ang binibili ng masa yung mga pasweet effect na movies. Para tuloy very conventional ang dating ng movies naten, it always follows a certain pattern. Tsaka before how many movies are released every year? Ngayon bilang na bilang na. Parang paunti ng paunti ang movie releases every year.

As for the music industry, I think year 2005 was a better year for OPM than year 2006 but it's still great that OPM is actually dominating the market after foreign music had held the reins for far too long.
  • gungrustgungrust Member PExer
    Entertainment industry: Dead!
  • omar26comar26c Member PExer
    Being a viewer from the US all I can say is that it seems to me that alot of what TV/Movies do are copy from the US. It seems as though they assume that if one show works in this country then it HAS to work for the Philippines. What I use to love about the entertainment from there came from the writers of the shows. Though the budgets were even smaller then for shows, the drama/action/plot just seemed more original.

I believe there are a select few actors who could very well stand up against Hollywoods elite, what kind of material do they have to work with? And its also true that it seems the talent pool seems to be dwindling. All I see are the same faces over and over and over again bordering the insanity comparable to seeing 50 million pics of TomKat or Brangelina. Enough is enough, alot of the Talent Search contests don't seem to find any real talent and any potential stars that have talent are being pushed aside for "reliable" aka BORING same faces.

Lets think of some successful "American" shows... aka LOST, or Grey's Anatomy, or even Desperate Housewives.. These are all character driven shows. They weren't drowned out by starpower but instead these "actors" were driven into stardom by talent and high quality writing.

I used to complain about the quality of Philippine entertainment like sound/lighting/video etc. but it seems that when the quality in these aspects increased (minutely) the quality in writing/material dropped drastically. That's why all the viewers are turning to Korean/chinese/ or other asian programming simply because of the better stories/situations/ productions etc. Why can't the Philippines produce quality like these other countries? I KNOW we have the talent, it just seems that those in control don't have the cajones to pull it off. Ah well.
    omar26c wrote: »
    Being a viewer from the US all I can say is that it seems to me that alot of what TV/Movies do are copy from the US. It seems as though they assume that if one show works in this country then it HAS to work for the Philippines. What I use to love about the entertainment from there came from the writers of the shows. Though the budgets were even smaller then for shows, the drama/action/plot just seemed more original.

I believe there are a select few actors who could very well stand up against Hollywoods elite, what kind of material do they have to work with? And its also true that it seems the talent pool seems to be dwindling. All I see are the same faces over and over and over again bordering the insanity comparable to seeing 50 million pics of TomKat or Brangelina. Enough is enough, alot of the Talent Search contests don't seem to find any real talent and any potential stars that have talent are being pushed aside for "reliable" aka BORING same faces.

Lets think of some successful "American" shows... aka LOST, or Grey's Anatomy, or even Desperate Housewives.. These are all character driven shows. They weren't drowned out by starpower but instead these "actors" were driven into stardom by talent and high quality writing.

I used to complain about the quality of Philippine entertainment like sound/lighting/video etc. but it seems that when the quality in these aspects increased (minutely) the quality in writing/material dropped drastically. That's why all the viewers are turning to Korean/chinese/ or other asian programming simply because of the better stories/situations/ productions etc. Why can't the Philippines produce quality like these other countries? I KNOW we have the talent, it just seems that those in control don't have the cajones to pull it off. Ah well.

Masyado na kasing stereotypical ang tastes ng tao. The networks follow the same formula over and over again because that's what the people want to watch. We can't expect a language-dependent comedy series for the next ten years.

Like what is said in my writing class, it's not about what you write. It's about how your write. It's about how you turn a cliche-storyline into something else, something new, something different.

That's something missing here in the Philippines.

Like what I said in my earlier posts, ideas are being recycled.
  • GeneralGrangerGeneralGranger Brutal Enemy PExer
    Diktang-dikta ng mga network ang gusto ng mga tao.
  • simpledreamssimpledreams Chill out Freckles McGee! PExer
    I think, overall, the entertainment industry needs help. it seems as though we are running out of story concepts. both major stations are recycling shows from past decades. drama 20 years ago is drama today. i think that there needs to be a revolution or evolution in terms of storylines. there needs to be variety. loveteams should not exist for the benefits of artists.

maybe teleseryes and fantaseryes just reflect filipino culture and society. but i think that it wont hurt to try to exhibit new concepts and new ideas. afterall, we wont know until we see it.

moreover, we shouldnt let a group of stars or star to outshine all the artists in the industry. what happens is that when one star becomes popular, the network focus is directed to that star. and that should not be. i believe that a lot of the artists in the industry has the potential to be more but are not given the chance or the proper project to do so.

basically, the networks are playing it safe. they need to freshen up. the reason why we've been seeing the same thing is because the people or person who has been working decades ago are the same people working today.

its a time for change. im sure there are writers there who have these imaginative and great storylines, but network execs need to be open to these new ideas and stories. they need to get out of their shell. they need to stop undermining the audiences.

if one network can present a show like "lost", i think only then will we see a true change and upgrade in the television industry.
  • jed_allanjed_allan Sexual Intellectual PExer
    kelan naman tayo magkakaron ng Mark Burnett,JJ Abrams o Jerry Bruckheimer?

nagsawa na ako sa pagiging optimistic.ini enjoy ko na lang mga magaganda,at pinapatay ang TV pag kababawan na.
  • omar26comar26c Member PExer
    So then can I ask what is holding the entertainment industry down? Is it financial reasons? Political entanglement/control within the industry or monopoly on talent? Or is it simply a lack of creativity? Whatever it is, I don't think I'm the only one who watches the programming/movies and gets sickened not by the poor quality per se but the lack in fulfillment of the true potential in talent our country holds.
    It's simply lack of creativity stemming from the idea that the it's either the people (through ratings) who dictate what they want to watch or the networks imposing what they want people to watch.

MY PERSONAL MARKER THAT DEVELOPMENT IS ON ITS WAY is the introduction of language-driven humor - Comedy shows that rely on language rather than the usual slapstick. Should this type of comedy show enter Philippine TV, then I believe, we're already starting to develop.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file