Home PEx Relationships Love - Principles, Practices & Preferences
Tip: Here's an Emoji Cheatsheet for your reference.

Which one of the following is the worst ..

So you've been in a relationship or relationships. At first, everything was fine, you were in-love with each other .. everything about him/her flattered you, or everything he/she did was cute .. then you start having problems, then you started fighting, and arguing .. and then the relationship ended, or in some cases the relationship is struggling to survive. Based on your own experiences, or in your opinion, which of the following is the most common cause of failed relationships??

1) his/her addiction or vices ( alcohol, gamble, drugs,on-line chatting, casual sex,etc.)

2) third party ( he/she is carrying a serious relationship with another person)

3) miscommunication/misunderstanding

4) money - in most cases, lack of it

5) sex- in most cases, lack of it

6) anger/ deep resentment towards your partner

7) unforgiveness

8) feelings of insecurities and jealousy

9) other

I've experienced most of these .. in different stages of my relationships (past and present). I thought .. what .. is the one thing that really kills a relationship. My answer is "unforgiveness." We sometimes hurt the one we love most .. and vice versa ..but if we can find it in our heart to really forgive and let go of the pain that the other person had caused us .. then there's room for the relationship to grow, to become stronger and really get over what's done. Sometimes, I thought I had forgiven him (my hubby) for something that he did years ago,... but the truth was I had not 100% .. and there were these lingering feelings of anger and resentment and whenever something went wrong, even menial things .. I either got too hysterical or depressed, which then led to confusion and self-doubt, wondering .." why do I feel this way ?? should we keep on trying or give up?" I found out .. the reason for this bouts of craziness was because I had not fully forgiven him. AS soon as I realized that .. the rebuilding started.

I wonder .. how do others feel about this topic? What do you think is the number 1 destroyer of relationships?

Comments

• uhlala wrote:
    1) his/her addiction or vices ( alcohol, gamble, drugs,on-line chatting, casual sex,etc.)

vices... ang alam ko lang na bisyo niya is gaming. any type of game papatulan nun... pati yung gameboy ko ng pokemon pinatulan.

but as long as i could easily get him to stop playing, i don't mind. lalo na kung... :naughty: ... kakain na. :lol:
    uhlala wrote:

never experienced this.
    uhlala wrote:

maraming beses na! :rotflmao: as i said in another thread. i don't communicate when i'm angry. i try to cool myself down first before i talk to the person involved. siya naman, gusto niya usap agad kami. kaya ayon. lalong nag-aaway!
    uhlala wrote:

it depends naman how the person handles it eh. if wala na ngang pera tapos maluho pa rin. ayon, mag-aaway kami. pero if marunong naman siya mag-prioritize... ok lang.

like if you only have 6k sa bulsa mo tapos next week pa sweldo... kaya pang bumili ng dog stroller na 5k tapos pagkasyahin mo na lang yung 1k as baon. :rotflmao:
    uhlala wrote:

i'm glad i don't have to go through this! ;)
    uhlala wrote:

nagtatanim ba ko ng galit? oo. pero once i voice it out, wala na yon. siya naman, parang utot... bigla magagalit... pero mawawala din agad. :rotflmao:
    uhlala wrote:
    7) unforgiveness

ayaw ko nito. sakit sa dibdib kung ayaw mo patawarin yung taong mahal mo. (naks! parang tunay! :rotflmao: )
    uhlala wrote:

glad to say, di naman siya seloso. but he tends to become insecure whenever he realizes that he can't give me the life i'm used to. i tell him it's okay... i don't want to depend on him anyway. i'd hate to be a housewife. no offense to housewives here... pero it's just not for me.
  • Wow, bingo na ko. Lahat yan na-experienced ko na with one guy!

- alcohol ang cigarettes. I can't seemed to make him quit then. What I did was to join him instead. :lol: But I didn't become addicted, in fairness!

- Siguro serious enough yung bigyan nya kami ng identical rings?

- Whenever we have fights, he just kept quite and wouldn't tell me what's on his mind. I hate it, para akong nakikipag-usap sa pader!

- Oh well, because of #1, nauubusan sya ng pera! suffice to say.

- Makikipagsex ka ba sa amoy alcohol and cigarette?

6) anger/ deep resentment towards your partner and 7) unforgiveness
    - go back to #1 and #2

- of course, who wouldn't be jealous and insecure if you're bf two-timed you with a hottie?

9) others
    - he's a chronic liar

And the worst thing is he has this way of making me FALL all over again.
    I don't know what my mission is: to reform him or to make myself stronger.
  • 1) his/her addiction or vices (alcohol, gamble, drugs,on-line chatting, casual sex, etc.) – Any form of vice if not properly dealt with can affect any relationship. He’s addicted I think in playing sports and doing lots of outdoor activities. These things take so much of his spare time. When he doesn’t have a game with his friends, he’s either on his bike, shooting hoofs in our yard or doing lap after lap in the pool. What irritates me sometimes is he’ll come home still dripping with sweats after playing with them and minutes later, I could hear the ball bouncing. As in, what the heck? In a way it affects us as I am not the sporty type and I’d rather spend my time reading or surfing the net. But will his activities eventually destroy our relationship. No, I don’t think so because I’m starting to like some of the things he loves doing. But please, no more surprise overnight camping trip.

2) third party (he/she is carrying a serious relationship with another person) – I’ve never experience this yet but it will definitely kill and destroy our relationship.

3) miscommunication/misunderstanding – just like Ayane, I have moments where I simply do not like to talk. I’m moody. I can talk for hours and share all of my thoughts. But when something makes me angry or anything simply sets me off, I don’t want to discuss it yet. I don't talk at all. I want to have my own space to deal with it first but he’s the one who wants to get on with it immediately. For a guy, he can really NAG. We usually end up fighting and shouting with each other. But he’s a jokester. When he sees that I’m really into the fight, when he gets me out of the sullen mood and I'm already spitting with anger, he’ll change course and crack a joke. This really get me into tears more often than not. It really frustrates me so much!!!!

4) money- in most cases, lack of it – It’s not an issue between us. It’s only my mom who’s been trying to create an issue. She visited us recently and she managed successfully in creating a rift between her and my hubby. She has this idea that he cannot provide well for me and our unborn child the same way she and dad did for me. It’s quite ridiculous really considering how he has done well for himself. He’s got some money in the bank, some investments, a good job and has a good amount of equity in his house and yet, mom still think that he’s still not good enough. Mom suddenly developed an amnesia that marriage is a partnership and that I have to do my share too.

5) sex- in most cases, lack of it – It’s not an issue between us. But yes I think any problem in this area can very much cause trouble in a relationship.

6) anger/ deep resentment towards your partner – We’re both very careful not to settle even the smallest misunderstanding. We don’t want to pile up unresolved issues. We both believe that if we are not careful, all we’ll have between us one day is a huge wall neither one of us can climb.

7) unforgiveness – This will only happen if he ever cheats on me. I may continue loving him but I don’t think I can live with him. If he betrays me, I can never forgive him at all. I’ve asked him two things only before we got married. First, if he ever falls out of love, he should tell me so I can decide what to do with us. Second, if he cheats, I don’t want any emotional brouhaha just in case it was simply a lapse in his judgment. He should abide with all the things we have agreed and he shouldn’t fight the divorce and the full custody of our children.

8) feelings of insecurities and jealousy – He hasn’t given me any reason to be jealous. I get insecure sometimes because of some of the differences in our personalities. He’s a people person, sociable and a natural flirt. I’m the type who is more guarded, careful and wary of other people. I'm not a very trusting person and can be paranoid. I know he’s quite insecure about my job and its demand. It may be on hold for now but he knows that soon I will get back on it. He hates the idea that the business I’m with requires travelling such that I will be away for weeks and weeks. He doesn’t believe that my boss will not break his word that I will only have 10% travel in a year and just more home based work as had been agreed upon after we got married. Even if he will never admit it, I'm sure he's delighted that I had a hard time in my first trimester that I had to totally stop working. If there are two areas we will continuously struggle, it will be the insecurities we both feel with each other.

9) other – Different religion, beliefs, values and moral conviction. I believe that anyone of this can ultimately affect any relationship if not properly discussed. If the two cannot compromise, then the relationship is simply doom.

My husband is actually someone from my past. He’s my first and my only boyfriend. I broke up with him barely two weeks after we were together when we were in college. We didn’t agree on what a relationship is all about and what it needs (translation: SEX). I’ve had suitors but held off having a boyfriend. He was the only boy who broke my defenses and yet he made me sour about men in the end. We separated, became friends, tried to make our mark in this world separately. It took a number of years before we see each other again and we're now close into our 8th month of marriage. We've had our share of problems, disagreements and misunderstandings. I'll do my part in keeping our relationship but if he ever betrays and cheats on me, that will be the end of us. I will not tolerate it at all no matter how much I love him, how many kids we have and how many years we are together. I don't think I'm like other wives who can take back a cheating husband.
  • uhlala wrote:
    Based on your own experiences, or in your opinion, which of the following is the most common cause of failed relationships??

1) his/her addiction or vices (alcohol, gamble, drugs,on-line chatting, casual sex,etc.)
    7) unforgiveness
    9) other

I wonder .. how do others feel about this topic? What do you think is the number 1 destroyer of relationships?

i think #1 and #4 are things that you usually find out even before you go into a relationship with another person. thus, it's better to know the person well before committing yourself to them.

third party and miscommunication are two of the most common reasons why relationships fall apart. lucky for me, i haven't experienced any "third party" with any of my two previous relationships. i'm not sure what i'd do if i did. but it definitely affect the trust i had for them. meanwhile, miscommunication usually happens when either of the parties refuse to talk about the problems in the relationship. unresolved issues beget more issues and problems. then, when the two of you refuse to turn around and talk things over, naiipon na lahat. until bitterness and resentment starts setting in.

i think anger/deep resentment, insecurities and unforgiveness are all a product of miscommunition or the lack of it...
  • samantha_jonessamantha_jones PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    1) his/her addiction or vices (alcohol, gamble, drugs,on-line chatting, casual sex,etc.) - I havent had a problem with this yet. But I dont like guys who have vices, it's okay the occasioanl drinking and smoking but to like do it till you have to check in at AA is not good especially when you plan to get more serious, in most cases it usually turns into abusive relationships.

2) third party ( he/she is carrying a serious relationship with another person) -
    I do not tolerate infedelity. Madali ako kausap, if you want to see other people then it can't be something that only one of you can do. I am monagamous to a monagamous partner, but if it's a no commitment thing then sure, just dont expect alot from me.

3) miscommunication/misunderstanding - ALL THE TIME. I have really bad taste in men. I pick the stupid but sweet ones. Hehe. Well I think the main problem is I have ideals or lets say I like to run things some way and he doesn't. I have an attitude and I know how to use it - most of the time. Also I like to get what I want.

4) money - in most cases, lack of it - since my last relationship, I am not gonna get into the "money problem area". I refuse to get involved. Of course in marriage, it wont be this way. But for now..It my own money and I choose how to spend it, even if that means I dont lend you any...especially if I can see that you dont know how to handle financial responsibility.

5) sex- in most cases, lack of it - I just dont like people who say they're good but really they're not. Puh-lease.

6) anger/ deep resentment towards your partner - I have an attitude that when I'm angry, I just eed to let out steam. When I wake up I dont usually go back to that feeling anymore. But I've experience being treated like an enemy instead of an ally by a partner. Don't know why.

7) unforgiveness - I forgive but not really forget. I like to learn from my mistakes as much as possible.

8) feelings of insecurities and jealousy - I was taught to be assertive by my mom so any feeling of inferiority by a partner is not really my problem. More often than not I tend to encourage my boyfriend to get what he wants.

Jealousy - I am not selosa, not really. Depends but if I feel ignored then I do feel a tinge of jealousy usually towards friends but not like towards other girls.

9) other - Values, upbringing, friends, different perspectives in life, different personalities. - Let's face it there are people you clash with and people who complement you. We are brought up differently, grew up in different environment which affect us each and every way.

OT: Hi mami. I miss you. :)
  • uhlala wrote:

--from the start he already told me that i would not be able to stop him from smoking..away lang mangyayari, so natutunan ko lumanghap ng usok ng sigarilyo. He never gambled when we were together.

--my exbf is a pathologic womanizer

--my exbf is the nagger, loudmouth, liar and he turns around the issues when we have a discussion para magmukhang ako ang may kasalanan.

--he has none

--never use sex as a weapon to spite someone

--hay naku, minahal ko sya, ginago nya ako

7) unforgiveness

--feeling nya sa lagi tama, kaya he forces me to admit my mistakes which i never committed.

--takot sya sa sariling multo nya kaya sya ganun.

kaya ngayon, hiwalay na kami, pilit nyang sinasabing ako ang may sala ng lahat.
  • ^^
    haha! ayos sa side comment internalmed!
  • hi uhlala... hihirit ako para naman hindi magmukhang exclusive girl-talk itong thread mo.... :D
    uhlala wrote:
    Based on your own experiences, or in your opinion, which of the following is the most common cause of failed relationships??

...My answer is "unforgiveness." We sometimes hurt the one we love most .. and vice versa ..but if we can find it in our heart to really forgive and let go of the pain that the other person had caused us .. then there's room for the relationship to grow, to become stronger and really get over what's done....

I agree with you... UNFORGIVENESS will ultimately decide whether a relationship survives or not, and going_bulilit makes a good point in describing how issues you also enumerated can possibly lead to such a scenario (third party / miscommunication --> resentment / bitterness --> unforgiveness --> breakup). All the steps leading to unforgiveness can be dealt with I believe, however difficult it may be; but if there is no forgiveness, the buck stops there.

And to those who have been on the offended end of an issue, it's really hard to forgive, especially if the offense done is something personally degrading.

Now... banggitin ko lang since this is the most common cause of breakups as far as my limited knowledge is concerned: is having a third party a forgiveable sin? Of course we have our own beliefs, preferences and thresholds, but I'd like to be kind to the boys this time around: if the "pambababae" was just done once, "flingy" in nature, and he shows naman a genuine resolve to never do it again, I think it *should* be forgiven. Now, if he's someone on the other end of the spectrum (a "pathologic womanizer" as internalmed has put it), then I cannot blame the woman for not forgiving him; although ideally it is the right thing to do, especially if the man has already shown by his deeds that he is worthy of forgiveness.
    shychic wrote:
    And the worst thing is he has this way of making me FALL all over again.
    I don't know what my mission is: to reform him or to make myself stronger.

Hi shychic... might as well label your task as "Mission Impossible IV" if you think it's your mission to reform him. Much as I wanna give credit to women for inspiring us men to become better than who we are right now, there is NOTHING YOU CAN DO to reform us because ultimately it will be our decision to do so. Baka maapektuhan lang ang self-esteem mo dahil feeling mo you're not good enough to change him, when in fact he's just too stubborn and/or too selfish to mend his ways. Make yourself stronger na lang, so that whatever happens to your relationship, you still win.
    shaz_z wrote:
    ...Even if he will never admit it, I'm sure he's delighted that I had a hard time in my first trimester that I had to totally stop working. If there are two areas we will continuously struggle, it will be the insecurities we both feel with each other.

Hey shaz_z... congrats and good luck on your pregnancy! :) Are you already through with your first trimester? Don't forget your folic acid supplements ha, very important, as I'm sure your OB-Gyne's told you.

He's delighted that you had a hard time? Naku, you two should talk about those things... baka pagmulan pa ng resentment, obviously not good for both your marriage and pregnancy. :(
  • 2,3,6,8 :)

:bomb:
  • He's delighted that you had a hard time? Naku, you two should talk about those things... baka pagmulan pa ng resentment, obviously not good for both your marriage and pregnancy. :(
    I should have said something else. Delighted didn’t give him any “pogi” points. :lol: Like any other expectant daddy, he’s anxious about me and the baby. It was already hard when I was not yet pregnant. Even working at home and no more business trips, the high stress level of my job and the several time zones I had to keep were affecting us. Safe to say it was a blessing in disguise when I was totally wasted, nauseous and sick all the time. I couldn’t think and work.

We were actually given a perfect excuse. This way, we can purely concentrate on the baby and be happy about it. At the same time, he can stop bugging me to review my career objectives. If my first term was simply a walk in the park, we won’t have this ceasefire. If he can have his way, he would demand that I should resign, sever my ties totally with the company and never plan on working at all. But pity, he doesn’t have a subservient wife. :D I just have to find balance between career and family life. Both are equally important to me. My career is not just about the money, the perks and the status. It's part of me and it completes me as a person.

OT: hello baby sam...!!!!
  • shaz_z wrote:
    I should have said something else. Delighted didn’t give him any “pogi” points. :lol: Like any other expectant daddy, he’s anxious about me and the baby. It was already hard when I was not yet pregnant. Even working at home and no more business trips, the high stress level of my job and the several time zones I had to keep were affecting us. Safe to say it was a blessing in disguise when I was totally wasted, nauseous and sick all the time. I couldn’t think and work....

It's great I just misinterpreted your words lang pala (dumb me, hehe). Well, with a pregnancy things really do change a lot for a couple, and for you it's been for the better (we all know the unplanned pregnancy stories don't we?). I just hope you'll be able to prove to your hubby when the time comes that holding a job and being a mother is possible. Have a safe pregnancy! :)

Now back to the topic, hehe.... :lol:
  • RotorSyndrome .. you have good sense. Your words of wisdom are something that we can get something out of. I can see that you area a good listener, you pay attention to what the ladies say ..and if you can you share with us your sentiments and insights.

@ samantha_jones, miss ya too. hope everything is fine with you.

on topic .. every couple will have issues .. money,sex,in-laws, work, bad vices,kids, miscommunication .. etc., all these can be talked out and resolved. in marriage, our commitment to each other is what binds us, regardless of how we feel.
  • bored2deathbored2death PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    now i know i'm a saint when i love a person. i'm very understanding. i forgive a lot to the extent na parang gaga na ako sa kaka forgive.

but there's one thing that i won't ever forgive and that is if the guy gets violent on me. yung sasaktan ako physically. basically, that's the only reason i will leave the guy for good. sometimes, ok lang yung biglang may third party. guy yan eh. naturally, magkakagusto sa iba. wag lang sa bading...

but the moment na sinaktan nya ako, no way jose. i won't ever allow him to hurt me that much. sabi nung iba, pwede na sampalin kesa nambabae. it's the other way around for me.
  • farkasfarkas PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    1) his/her addiction or vices (alcohol, gamble, drugs,on-line chatting, casual sex,etc.) - I havent had a problem with this yet. But I dont like guys who have vices, it's okay the occasioanl drinking and smoking but to like do it till you have to check in at AA is not good especially when you plan to get more serious, in most cases it usually turns into abusive relationships.

2) third party ( he/she is carrying a serious relationship with another person) -
    I do not tolerate infedelity. Madali ako kausap, if you want to see other people then it can't be something that only one of you can do. I am monagamous to a monagamous partner, but if it's a no commitment thing then sure, just dont expect alot from me.

3) miscommunication/misunderstanding - ALL THE TIME. I have really bad taste in men. I pick the stupid but sweet ones. Hehe. Well I think the main problem is I have ideals or lets say I like to run things some way and he doesn't. I have an attitude and I know how to use it - most of the time. Also I like to get what I want.

4) money - in most cases, lack of it - since my last relationship, I am not gonna get into the "money problem area". I refuse to get involved. Of course in marriage, it wont be this way. But for now..It my own money and I choose how to spend it, even if that means I dont lend you any...especially if I can see that you dont know how to handle financial responsibility.

5) sex- in most cases, lack of it - I just dont like people who say they're good but really they're not. Puh-lease.

6) anger/ deep resentment towards your partner - I have an attitude that when I'm angry, I just eed to let out steam. When I wake up I dont usually go back to that feeling anymore. But I've experience being treated like an enemy instead of an ally by a partner. Don't know why.

7) unforgiveness - I forgive but not really forget. I like to learn from my mistakes as much as possible.

8) feelings of insecurities and jealousy - I was taught to be assertive by my mom so any feeling of inferiority by a partner is not really my problem. More often than not I tend to encourage my boyfriend to get what he wants.

Jealousy - I am not selosa, not really. Depends but if I feel ignored then I do feel a tinge of jealousy usually towards friends but not like towards other girls.

9) other - Values, upbringing, friends, different perspectives in life, different personalities. - Let's face it there are people you clash with and people who complement you. We are brought up differently, grew up in different environment which affect us each and every way.

all of the above! :eek:
  • 1) his/her addiction or vices ( alcohol, gamble, drugs,on-line chatting, casual sex,etc.) - would also become a factor, hirap pag may mga vices.... Hirap tanggapin...

2) third party ( he/she is carrying a serious relationship with another person) - wouldnt enter in a relationhip na may iba pala siya, anu siya swerte???

3) miscommunication/misunderstanding - Number one, PINAKAMAIN REASON!!!!!!!! :grrr: :bop:

5) sex- in most cases, lack of it - in some marriages this happens....

6) anger/ deep resentment towards your partner - pwede din.... so true!!!

7) unforgiveness - i also agree with this, yung mga nangyari in the past nauungakt pa din and nagiging reason bakit nagkakasiraan ng tuluyan....

8) feelings of insecurities and jealousy - pwedeng maging ugat ng di pagkakaintidihan.... pwede talaga!

9) other

:confused:
  • 1) his/her addiction or vices ( alcohol, gamble, drugs,on-line chatting, casual sex,etc.) - would also become a factor, hirap pag may mga vices.... Hirap tanggapin...

2) third party ( he/she is carrying a serious relationship with another person) - wouldnt enter in a relationhip na may iba pala siya, anu siya swerte???

3) miscommunication/misunderstanding - Number one, PINAKAMAIN REASON!!!!!!!! :grrr: :bop:

7) unforgiveness - i also agree with this, yung mga nangyari in the past nauungakt pa din and nagiging reason bakit nagkakasiraan ng tuluyan....

8) feelings of insecurities and jealousy - pwedeng maging ugat ng di pagkakaintidihan.... pwede talaga!

9) other

9) other

• uhlala wrote:
    RotorSyndrome .. you have good sense. Your words of wisdom are something that we can get something out of. I can see that you area a good listener, you pay attention to what the ladies say ..and if you can you share with us your sentiments and insights.

Thanks for the undeserved compliment, uhlala. :) I'm actually happy that not anyone of you knows me personally; as we all know, speaking or writing "words of wisdom" and living them consistently are two different things altogether. I'm sure you've also had the experience of having a hard time following the advice you gave to another. To "walk the talk" really takes a lot of effort. Frankly, I still have a lot of growing up to do.

Being a good "listener" is quite easy to do here actually... I can read the words slowly to ensure that I get the ideas right (and that isn't even a guarantee), or just re-read the posts if the ideas are jumbled up a bit. Believe me, I don't think I'm that good when it comes to listening skills... probably I've just learned how to suspend my self-centeredness for a moment while I'm taking in other's situations and concerns as expressed in their words. :)

As to my sentiments and insights... I think I have nothing more to add really. All the points you raised are valid reasons for a breakup; some deal with personal preferences and beliefs (#'s 1, 2, 4, 5), some are issues inherent in a relationship (#'s 3, 6, 8), and without acceptance of who he/she is as a person or forgiveness (#7), either the relationship will die a natural death or it might not actually have any reason to begin with in the first place.

As for #9 (others), maganda yung point ni bored2death... I actually share the same sentiment... pag naging physically violent na yung lalaki (and VICE-VERSA), ibang usapan na 'yon... it's an example of what I would categorize as a "personally degrading" offense. Sa tagalog, parang tinapakan na ang pagkatao mo. :grrr: Sa tingin ko pwede pa rin naman itong i-forgive; pero mahirap... sobrang hirap. :(
  • 3) miscommunication/misunderstanding - Number one, PINAKAMAIN REASON!!!!!!!! :grrr: :bop:

Sa tindi ng emosyon ni princessdiane, nag-triple post!!! Hehehehe... :rotflmao:

Hmm... ano kaya ang reaction ni pareng gUy^??

Pareng gUy^... parang alam ko na kung bakit may bitterness sa yo si princessdiane, hehehe.... :rotflmao:
  • Sa tindi ng emosyon ni princessdiane, nag-triple post!!! Hehehehe... :rotflmao:

Hmm... ano kaya ang reaction ni pareng gUy^??

Pareng gUy^... parang alam ko na kung bakit may bitterness sa yo si princessdiane, hehehe.... :rotflmao:

Hi rotorsyndrome, sorry for the triple post, i didn't mean to do it. it was my computer's fault... hehe... really, it is.... you know server problems... :rotflmao:

Totoo naman ah, pinak number one reason is miscommunication!!! :lol:

Ikaw ha... gumagawa ka ng issue... :lol: