Home PEx Hobbies Cars and Motoring
Reminder: You never know what someone is going through, so be kind.

Buying A Car Stereo

Guys tanong ko lang kung standard lang ba ang size ng car sterio? Meron kasi kong Ford Lynx 2002 Ghia Model gusto ko sanang bumili ng car sterio sa US kaso isip mo baka hindi magfit.. help naman...

Comments

• Guys tanong ko lang kung standard lang ba ang size ng car sterio? Meron kasi kong Ford Lynx 2002 Ghia Model gusto ko sanang bumili ng car sterio sa US kaso isip mo baka hindi magfit.. help naman...
    what's a sterio?
  • ^
    sterio lang hindi mo alam?

Eh di radeo!

Pang kotsi.

The?
  • i bought some Hume Thithir Sistime d othr dy.
  • The standard size is usually called "1-DIN." This is the classic wide-but-short rectangle from older cars and still used today. I think the Lynx has a 1-DIN slot for its audio HU (HU = head unit...what you would call a car stereo). This size will usually swallow one CD at a time.

Some newer cars like the CR-V and Camry have 2-DIN-sized slots. Think of two 1-DIN HUs stacked on top of each other and you get the 2-DIN size...mga isang dangkal ang tangkad. HUs this size may have internal CD changers (like the Nissan X-Trail's), or may offer the capability of playing either CDs and cassette tapes without additional accessories (such as that on the Hyundai Tucson).
  • the 1 din, 2 din system isn't important.

depends really on how much you want to spend. Do you want quality music reproduction ba? then you need to spend money. Like about 100, 000 for good amplification, speakers, and cables, etc.

if all you want is some music, then those head units from china would suffice.
  • I confirm the 2002 Lynx comes standard with a 1-DIN-size stereo/head unit.

From the outside, though, it seems like you can modify your dash to accept a larger 2-DIN unit by removing some interior bits...only if you're willing to risk some damage.
    GreatBop wrote:
    the 1 din, 2 din system isn't important.

depends really on how much you want to spend. Do you want quality music reproduction ba? then you need to spend money. Like about 100, 000 for good amplification, speakers, and cables, etc.

if all you want is some music, then those head units from china would suffice.
    You're not answering the thread starter's question.
  • oi SALAMAT! ito yung may 6 CD changer...

I confirm the 2002 Lynx comes standard with a 1-DIN-size stereo/head unit.

From the outside, though, it seems like you can modify your dash to accept a larger 2-DIN unit by removing some interior bits...only if you're willing to risk some damage.

You're not answering the thread starter's question.
  • i'm asking him what he wants before i go and help him. diba?

depends on what he wants...
  • eto ang gusto kong gawin... yung kasing original na 6 audio CD changer nung ford lynx ko eh sira na... so balak ko bumili ng bagong car sterio para mapalitan naman.... of course pag bumili ko gusto ko yung pwedeng saksakan ng IPOD at MP3.... at marami dito sa US nun..... ang problema ko lang eh yung size ng bibilin kong car sterio... kasi baka mamya ... maganda nga yung nabili kong car sterio pero hindi naman pala swak sa kotse ko dyan...
  • ^ Sorry dude, I checked again. The 2002 Lynx Ghia has a factory-installed 2-DIN audio head unit with internal CD changer. I confirmed this with pictures from Top Gear Philippine's monthly used car reviews.

The 1-DIN unit I saw was installed on a Ford Lynx RS sold in Malaysia. My mistake. :) Apparently the folks at Ford Phils. already made use of the extra space on the dashboard.

Now at least you're sure what size of HU you should get. I hope this helps!
  • You can still put a 1 DIN stereo on a 2 DIN slot. Lalagyan na lang ng panel yung gap. Head units are generally standard sized in width (7") and depth (6.5"). Sa height lang nagkakaiba wherein 2 DIN is taller and 1 DIN is shorter. Online stereo dealers like cardomain and crutchfield shows detailed specifications of head units that include the Length, width and depth of these units.

Look out for theses codes as a guide for fitting it in your car:

DIN - There are generally two definitions for DIN: 1. DIN (Deutsche Inustrie Normen) is a German standard and is used to describe a type of round connector. 2. DIN head unit size. The most common in-dash receiver size found in many import vehicles. The standard DIN size head unit opening is approximately 7" wide x 2" tall. I, E, J & K sizes are typical DIN dimensions, with allowances made for specific installation requirements.

1 DIN (IEJ)
    KENEZ500.jpg

1 DIN (w/ retractable LCD monitor)
    l113617DVD.jpeg

double DIN (DD) - A receiver size found in some Japanese vehicles. It is twice as large as a DIN opening (two DIN units stacked on top of each other.) The standard double DIN (DD) size head unit opening is approximately 7" wide x 4" tall.
    KENDPX301.jpg

ISO DIN - A receiver size found in many import vehicles. The ISO DIN differs from the regular (or Euro DIN) in that an ISO DIN receiver is secured by a side mounted bracket instead of a sleeve.

Size S is a receiver with two standard shafts.

Size CG will fit in many GM and Chrysler oversized openings. The standard CG size head unit opening is approximately 7" wide x 3" tall.
    l130DEHP77Ddmt.jpeg

With the proliferation of MP3 portable devices all you need is a head unit with an auxiliary input stereo jack. My two cents.
  • Hi, pwede makisingit? :) I'm looking for one of those mp3 players with memory card slots... how much are those usually and ok na ba yung mga chinese branded ones?
  • If you're just after some MP3 capability and a CD changer then a Pioneer gives good bang for the buck IMO. Starts at 5K++ in Banawe and comes with warranty... not really worth it buying in the US unless you really get it dirt cheap.
  • miki187 wrote:
    Hi, pwede makisingit? :) I'm looking for one of those mp3 players with memory card slots... how much are those usually and ok na ba yung mga chinese branded ones?

Good choice. Maganda yung mga head unit na may media card slots or USB ports so that the laser reader for the CD isn't overworked. Maganda kung ang head unit mo has some or all of the following:

- Stereo Auxiliary Input jacks.
    - Front stereo input (headphone size) jack
    - SD/MMC Card slot
    - USB Port
    - Internal Hard Drive

You can check this out in Dai-Ichi (Megamall). It has an MMC slot and a USB port (for thumbdrives). Made in Korea yata P6,000.00.

2l8hrup.jpg
  • RuckuSRuckuS Member PEx Icon 🎖️🎖️🎖️
    ^^ 6k lang yan? thats dirt cheap for a HU with all those features. but durability would be suspect since Dai-ichi is a taiwanese brand and we all know when its "made in TAIWAN" its more quantity than quality. maybe we can get some feedback/testimonials from people who've already bought a FORYOU headunit.
  • kelunjikelunji PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Well my iPod is MADE IN TAIWAN, but it's still running ok, and I bought it in 2003. BTW isn't Dai-ichi an OEM manufacturer for big name audio brands?
  • actually, when it comes to speakers Dai- Ichi gives good value for money. Their speakers come w/ lifetime warranty.
  • RuckuSRuckuS Member PEx Icon 🎖️🎖️🎖️
    kelunji wrote: »
    Well my iPod is MADE IN TAIWAN, but it's still running ok, and I bought it in 2003. BTW isn't Dai-ichi an OEM manufacturer for big name audio brands?

AFAIK Dai-ichi is the OEM manufacturer for other "well known" brands such as Sanyo and Aiwa. i didnt know iPods were made in taiwan but as far as other electronic devices that have passedby my house through the years(Microwave,Stereos,DVD players) the "Made in Taiwan" stuff were usualy the first to conk out. charge it to experience -- and the saying "the more expensive an item is the better it gets". and usualy the made in taiwan stuff are always the cheapest(and for good reason).

@Papichulo168

do their speakers sound good or at least competitive with other lower branded car speakers in the market today(ex. RyanAudio, Bluethunder/B52's,Targa,Konzert etc.) btw is "Targa" a Dai-ichi product? i have no experience with Dai-Ichi products but im aware that they're a lot cheaper than any of the expensive branded ones like Kicker, JL Audio, Rockford, etc.

and about the Foryou Headunit would you recommend it ahead of a Sony Xplode which are priced just as much, or a lower end Pioneer or Alpine model which i think also has HUs around that price range.
  • RuckuS wrote: »
    AFAIK Dai-ichi is the OEM manufacturer for other "well known" brands such as Sanyo and Aiwa. i didnt know iPods were made in taiwan but as far as other electronic devices that have passedby my house through the years(Microwave,Stereos,DVD players) the "Made in Taiwan" stuff were usualy the first to conk out. charge it to experience -- and the saying "the more expensive an item is the better it gets". and usualy the made in taiwan stuff are always the cheapest(and for good reason).

@Papichulo168

do their speakers sound good or at least competitive with other lower branded car speakers in the market today(ex. RyanAudio, Bluethunder/B52's,Targa,Konzert etc.) btw is "Targa" a Dai-ichi product? i have no experience with Dai-Ichi products but im aware that they're a lot cheaper than any of the expensive branded ones like Kicker, JL Audio, Rockford, etc.

and about the Foryou Headunit would you recommend it ahead of a Sony Xplode which are priced just as much, or a lower end Pioneer or Alpine model which i think also has HUs around that price range.

Daichi/Targa speakers are ok if you're on a budget,even if buy from their premium lines comparatively cheaper pa rin sila.

I cant vouch for head unit though because 1.} they're just distributing the stuff 2.} I bought a USB capable DVD player from them and it turned out to be a lemon.
  • malayo na narating ng Taiwan as far as quality {in electronics} is concerned. Sila na ang next Japan IMO. The one's made in China you should avoid.