Home PEx Hobbies Cars and Motoring
Ho-Ho-Hope you have a holly jolly holidays, PExers! 🎅

Toyota FJ Cruiser vs Honda Element

What do you think? Both look cool and fun to drive. I personally prefer the FJ Cruiser with its more muscular look.

Hope they bring these to the Philippines.

http://www.toyota.com/fjcruiser/index.html?s_van=GM_TN_FJ_INDEX

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/element_jump.asp?ModelName=Element

Comments

• i've seen a couple of those new toyota cars. and they look weird. like a moonbuggy?
  • I've seen at least one Honda Element puttering around in Manila not too long ago. It was silver...most probably a gray import.

Anyhow the Element is essentially a CR-V given the Nissan X-Trail treatment but with fewer seats. They share the same drivetrain (2.4L i-VTEC 4-cylinder, 165 HP) and basic chassis. Like the X-Trail, the Element has a fully washable floor and is a lot boxier. Rear-hinged "suicide" doors are a feature on the Honda. Don't get one if you're even thinking of going off-road as it's not made for it.

The FJ Cruiser would be your default choice if you go rock-hopping. It did pretty well in a SUV shootout done by Car and Driver a few months ago. I think it's a little too big but it's an okay remake of the original "FJ40" Toyota Land Cruiser ("FJ40" being the chassis code, hence the FJ moniker). If I'm not mistaken, it shares the engine of the US-market 4Runner (4.0L V6, ~230 HP).

From our experience with the 4Runner, don't expect to make more than 16 mpg in city driving with the FJ. It'll return up to 24 mpg on the freeways.
  • I'm a big honda fan. But if I'm cross-shopping the 2, I'll pick the FJ Cruiser. I like the retro look of the FJ and it has a better engine. Although the Element is not a shabby 2nd pick...
  • Just to give you an idea of what competition the FJ Cruiser faced in the Car and Driver SUV shootout, here were its opponents:

- Jeep Compass
    - Nissan Xterra (not to be confused with the X-Trail)
    - Hummer H3

The Xterra and FJ were pipping each other for top honors. :)
  • yah.. the FJ cruiser is an SUV.

the Element is just a little box car made to haul bikes for that yuppie that likes to go to mountains and bike/ hike.
  • The Element rides on a modified CR-V platform. Rides like a car, drives like a car. Even with AWD, you'd have to be careful where you take it. The fuel tank is one of the lowest hanging bits under the car (necessary to acheive the flat floor).

The FJ Cruiser is has more hardcore underpinnings and is designed for more serious off-road work. But don't expect it to drive or ride as well as a car.
  • FJ Cruiser's platform ay based sa Toyota Hilux Surf/4Runner at Land Cruiser Prado.Overpriced ang gray market FJ Cruisers here.
  • With that thought, SO IS Honda Element's.
    Kung ganun lang, imo mas sulit na ang bumili ng FJ cruiser.

Atleast the FJ Cruiser is steps above the Rav4/ CRV. e Element, kasing level lang nyan ang CRV if ever. (more like step below pa nga).
  • BOOGIECAT wrote:
    FJ Cruiser's platform ay based sa Toyota Hilux Surf/4Runner at Land Cruiser Prado.Overpriced ang gray market FJ Cruisers here.

How much are they selling the FJs in the Philippines?
  • 3 to 3.4 million pesos ang FJ Cruisers here(may LC 100 GXR ka na nyan).Yung Element eh nasa 1.6-1.8M pesos...SUPER PRICEY!!!
  • Taga grabe.

Hintayin ko na lang yung immigration application namin. I'll just get one when we land in Canada in a couple of years.

For now, I'm happy with our Vios. :)
  • I saw one white FJ cruiser in Makati. Woahh... rugged looking. It looks like a tank.
  • Hindi mo naman puwede i compare ang FJ sa Element, ibang class yan, para bagang $28,000 against $21,000... d ba ang layo?
  • redcola wrote: »
    Hindi mo naman puwede i compare ang FJ sa Element, ibang class yan, para bagang $28,000 against $21,000... d ba ang layo?

It's an apples to oranges comparison.