Home PEx Sports NBA
Tip: Here's an Emoji Cheatsheet for your reference.

Toni Kukoc calls it quits

CHICAGO - Toni Kukoc is set to conclude his National Basketball Association career, the 13-year veteran saying he plans to call it quits because the only clubs near his home are not interested in him.

"It looks like I'm done," Kukoc told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Monday at a charity golf tournament. "There are teams that want me but I don't want to go far from home."

The Croatian forward, who lives in suburban Chicago, spent six seasons with the Bulls and the past four with the Milwaukee Bucks.

"Milwaukee is going with a young team and Chicago is in need of a big guy, so that's it," said Kukoc, who turns 38 in a week.

"It's time for me to move away from basketball. It was a huge part of my life and gave me pretty much everything I desired but there comes a time when you just can't take it anymore.

"I can still play 10, 15, 20 minutes, maybe, but I don't need it anymore."

Kukoc was a three-time European player of the year and won Olympic silver medals with Yugoslavia in 1988 and Croatia in 1992, a year before joining the Bulls and playing on the last three of Michael Jordan's six Bulls championship teams.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/storypage.aspx?StoryID=50194

Comments

• sa lakers na lang siya magagamit pa ni Zen Master yan.:)
  • ^ naintindihan mo ba? :bop:
    stopandpop wrote:
    "It looks like I'm done," Kukoc told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Monday at a charity golf tournament. "There are teams that want me but I don't want to go far from home."

chicago. los angeles. far yun! :rotflmao:
  • commonercommoner Honorary Member PEx Expert 🎖️
    Toni Kukoc would have played another season in the National Basketball Association, but only on his terms.

He didn't want to move his family from Highland Park, Ill., so when neither the Milwaukee Bucks nor the Chicago Bulls expressed interest in signing him, he decided to end his career.

"It looks like I'm done," Kukoc said Monday after playing in the Skip Kendall Charity Pro-Am Fore Kids at Tripoli Country Club. "There are teams that want me, but I don't want to go far from home."

Kukoc, a 6-foot-11 forward, played 13 seasons in the NBA, including six-plus years with the Bulls and the last four with the Bucks.

"My choice was either Chicago or Milwaukee," he said. "Milwaukee is going with a young team and Chicago is in need of a big guy, so that's it."

The versatile Kukoc, a crowd favorite at the Bradley Center, played in 65 games last season and averaged 4.9 points, 2.3 rebounds and 2.1 assists. Though he played increasingly fewer minutes in recent years, he was valued for his outside shooting, passing ability and leadership qualities.

Kukoc, who turns 38 on Monday, said he wasn't sad about leaving the game.

"No, not at all," he said. "I think it's time for me to move away from basketball. It was a huge part of my life and gave me pretty much everything I desired but there comes a time when you just can't take it anymore.

"I can still play 10, 15, 20 minutes, maybe, but I don't need it anymore. I always felt like I needed to play basketball. Right now, it's not my most desirable thing anymore. I'd rather play golf."

A native of Croatia, Kukoc was a three-time European player of the year and helped both Yugoslavia (1988) and Croatia (1992) win silver medals in the Olympic Games before signing with the Chicago Bulls in 1993.

He played six full seasons and part of a seventh with the Bulls and teamed with Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen to win three consecutive NBA titles from 1995-'96 to 1997-'98.

The Bulls traded him to the Philadelphia 76ers midway through the 1999-2000 season and the 76ers traded him to Atlanta the next year.

On Aug. 2, 2002, the Bucks obtained Kukoc, Leon Smith and a 2003 first-round draft pick from the Hawks for forward Glenn Robinson.

Over his 13 NBA seasons, Kukoc averaged 11.6 points, 4.2 rebounds and 3.7 assists. He won the NBA's sixth-man award after the 1995-'96 season and averaged a career-high 18.8 points in 1998-'99.
  • team slickteam slick PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    hmm actually the main question was will he be willing to sign for let say the veterans minimum? I would believe he would fit in chicago's scheme of things. Chicago are sorely lacking offensive firepower and thats what you get from a toni kukoc although im not sure with scott skiles if he will get any burn at all.
  • tanong, kung i-sisign siya ng bulls. big man talaga hanap ng bulls. kahit 6'11" siya labas pa rin laro niya. kung wingman ang hanap nila, pwede siguro pumasok ang usapan kung willing siya mag sign ng minimum.
  • a great player that complement mj during their prime..
  • Thanks for the memories Mr. Kukoc!
  • The man they call The Waiter retires. 3 rings, 6 man of the year, 3 time European player. Also a great accomplishment
  • shock_and_aweshock_and_awe PEx Rookie ⭐
    another NBA player that will be saved from Dr. J's massacring of names. hehehe!
  • Direct Hit wrote:
    The man they call The Waiter retires. 3 rings, 6 man of the year, 3 time European player. Also a great accomplishment

hindi ba "pink panther" tawag sa kanya? :confused:
  • i won't forget his game winning 3-point last 1994 playoffs against new york.