Home PEx Business and Careers The Working Filipino
Speak your mind, but mind what you post. Let's not spread disinformation and/or misinformation.

Work ethic and culture

Countries in the USA have a strong work ethic where reliability is vital and so is getting to work on time. Is this the same in the philippines? Or is there a difference?

In Spain, the attitude is that there is always time tomorrow and so things get done at a slower pace. I'm wondering if the hotter the country, the slower the pace!

Any comments?

Thanks,

Jon

Comments

• i remember jose rizal had an essay about that -- his theory was that since our country is a lot hotter, overexerting yourself physically at high noon makes no sense. one is bound to tire much faster.

i can't remember the exact name of the essay, though. if i do, i'll post it here.

singapore's climate is somewhat similar to ours. but their work ethic is very different.
  • In what way is the work ethic different in singapore? What is the work ethic in the Philippines?
  • Generally, Americans don't mix work and pleasure. When they work, they work hard and when they party-they also party hard. Filipinos, in my experience like to mix work with a lot of banter. There also seems to be a more relaxed atmosphere. Nevertheless, I think the work atmosphere can be dictated by those at the top. Although small talk and 'tsismis' can never be fully eliminated, the bosses can choose to put in place what policies they want. Filipinos that are inspired and well directed are really good and hard workers.
  • I have a situation where I am giving someone Php25,000 for website design. He was previous earning Php10,000. They are working from home and have excellent graphic design skills.

However, I am finding him very unreliable during his first weeks trial. He never seems to be online when he says he will be and so on.

Can someone please advise me? Is this to be expected? Or unusual. Do you think he might be doing another job at the same time?

He has good raw talent but it is such a shame for him to mess up like this, particularly when I am more than doubling his previous wages.

Thanks,

Jon
  • Why not talk to him? Tell him what your expectations are. He may or may not have a good explaination. Either way, you'd have communicated your concerns.
  • Why not talk to him? Tell him what your expectations are. He may or may not have a good explaination. Either way, you'd have communicated your concerns.
  • I have already told him that we are concerned about reliability.
  • tennisacetennisace PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Jon12345 wrote:
    I have a situation where I am giving someone Php25,000 for website design. He was previous earning Php10,000. They are working from home and have excellent graphic design skills.

However, I am finding him very unreliable during his first weeks trial. He never seems to be online when he says he will be and so on.

Can someone please advise me? Is this to be expected? Or unusual. Do you think he might be doing another job at the same time?

He has good raw talent but it is such a shame for him to mess up like this, particularly when I am more than doubling his previous wages.

Thanks,

Jon
    I'd fire his butt yesterday. His unreliability is your liability. Slacking negates good raw talent. If he values the fact that you respect his talents and are willing to pay double for it, then he should respect the fact that you expect nothing less than his best effort in return. Unless he's a one-of-a-kind graphic design genius, do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.
  • Because I don't live in the Philippines, my concern is whether or not it is a cultural thing. I have had problems before trying to get reliability from remote workers. We have an expression over here: when the cats away, the mice come out to play.

I appreciate it is more difficult to be motivated when the boss isn't in the same room as you. But at the same time, during a trial period I would have thought someone might make an effort.

What is the general work ethic of most people in the Philippines? Is it like in the USA? Or totally different? I want to understand!
  • filipino work ethic,from what I observed from my previous jobs, they want to work less and be paid more, they tend to be impatient and complacent, likes to complain a lot, does not like to arrive at work early, those are the negatives, on the positive note, filipinos welcome challenges at work, more responsibility (if you pay them more), diligent, and maintains poise under pressure. .. In your case, maybe he is looking for a more prestigious job with better pay and could offer better benefits or maybe he needs a little more motivation.. these are all personal assessments and does not speak on the whole filipino workforce..
  • Jon12345 wrote:
    Countries in the USA have a strong work ethic where ... <snipped>

hmmm pray tell, what are the countries in the USA?
  • ^^ I was going to point that out. And for a second I had to think if there are countries in the US. Perhaps, it's supposed to be companies, not countries.

There are hundreds of good, young web designers here. Fire that ******* already. I have to say that if your worker is very unreliable, it's easy to forget that he's extremely brilliant with what he does.
  • Oops! I mean't companies for sure.

What I don't understand is why he would be reliable when he is getting such a good wage relative to before. Do you think he might be doing a college degree or something and so can't be there when I want him to?

I want to bring work to your country but this is my first experience and it is a frustrating one. It is difficult for me to know if it is a cultural thing or just the individual I have hired.
  • i don't think it's a cultural thing. it's a human thing. hence the adage, when the cat is away, the mice come out and play. so true there, so true here and so true everywhere.
    maybe the guy thinks that since direct supervision is not possible, you are only concerned about the output. he can goof around all he wants because at the end of the day only the output matters.
    if you want more reliability from your off-shore 'employees', i think the safer route is to hire them in a per project basis.
    another approach is to offer the job to outsourcing companies. the cost maybe more but the headaches less. let their management deal with the unreliable employees.
  • ^ I agree. Not a cultural thing, there are a lot of unreliable Americans too, and that's for sure.

gwaping17 wrote:
    ^^ I was going to point that out. And for a second I had to think if there are countries in the US. Perhaps, it's supposed to be companies, not countries.

There are hundreds of good, young web designers here. Fire that ******* already. I have to say that if your worker is very unreliable, it's easy to forget that he's extremely brilliant with what he does.

Lest you guys wonder, I said as$hole.
  • Do you think perhaps I should hire someone who has several years experience? Then they would be used to working solid hours. He is only 21 and maybe not ready for that commitment. Or is at college and trying to do both.
  • you can give the guy another chance but tell him he's very close to getting fired. sometimes fear is the best precursor of responsibleness.
    decaf wrote:
    you can give the guy another chance but tell him he's very close to getting fired. sometimes fear is the best precursor of responsibleness.
    Time spent on giving this guy another chance is better spent on getting someone else who can get the job done. You can't continue on spending money on this guy hoping that he's going to eventually shape up. Fire his butt, and I'm sure he'll waste no time in learning the lesson of responsibility and reliability.
    Jon12345 wrote:
    Oops! I mean't companies for sure.

What I don't understand is why he would be reliable when he is getting such a good wage relative to before. Do you think he might be doing a college degree or something and so can't be there when I want him to?

I want to bring work to your country but this is my first experience and it is a frustrating one. It is difficult for me to know if it is a cultural thing or just the individual I have hired.
    It seems to me that you failed to do the requisite due diligence as far as this guy is concerned. A lot of pertinent facts about this situation are unknown to us. But if you ask me, doubling the usual pay right off the bat was a mistake. I understand about giving someone an incentive. However, incentives have to be justified and/or earned.

I think it might help if you give this forum an idea of what your business is all about and disclose the type of skill sets you are looking for. Then perhaps we can discuss your issues and concerns in the particular context of your business and your manpower requirements.

It is known, at least locally, that Filipinos like to do things tomorrow what they can do today. It is called the “mañana habit” (‘mañana’ being the Spanish word for ‘tomorrow’). It is also known that Filipinos like to commit themselves to a responsibility, only to shirk when they are called upon. It is called “ningas kugon”. There are several other cultural and social tendencies and/or predispositions but I won’t even mention them because I don’t think it’s of any further relevance. The point is, these are just generalizations. Individually, these may or may not hold true. Like any other country and culture, the Philippines has their share of slackers, never-do-wells, bums, bloodsuckers, and other social and economic parasites.

Be that as it may, I place the Filipino second to none when it comes to loyalty, hard work, ingenuity and resourcefulness. The Philippines is a diamond mine of human resources. The world recognizes that as a fact. However, as in any business transaction, exercising due diligence is a must.
  • His previous pay was Php10,000 approx. I said I would pay Php17,000+bonus of up to Php8,000. The bonus was to be based upon 3 factors: quality, reliability and productivity.

We all learn by our mistakes and this is our first attempt at hiring someone fromt he Philippines. It is early days.

Our requirements are web designers, php/mysql programmer, graphic design, copywriting and marketing researcher.