Home PEx Family and Society Buhay Pinoy

Anyone here thinks that adobo (our national meal) is ridiculously overrated?

I don't know why this meal gained the number one spot. Honestly, it's not even that presentable, and nowhere near close to being the country's best tasting meal.

This story is true. I was in my college canteen once and I was looking for a meal to order at the front of the cashier. The guy beside me is a Korean. He was about to order adobo but after realizing cooking oil was floating on it, he backed out. LOL! Na fear factor sya. :lol:

I think the reason why adobo become the most iconic meal is because we need a meal that goes with rice (our staple food) and deviates from the other cuisines (e.g., pancit) that have foreign origin.

Comments

• adobo has a longer shelf life...siguro sa mga spices...

masarap naman kasi talaga ang adobo...hindi nakakasawa...lalo na chicken adobo....OMG!

masarap din ang adobong isda...
  • national meal? i dont think so.

but a japanese friend of mine loves adobo. i usually give her some when we cook adobo and she just can't seem to get enough of it. hehe.

i think other asians like it as well, it's because they also eat rice.

most, if not all of our dishes are not presentable. there was a discussion like this at Food & Drinks sub-forum; Reason as to why Filipino foods don't get appreciated enough by other nationalities (or something to that effect). Kasi daw parang pagkatapos lutuin, ihahain nalang bigla at wala ng presentation.
  • I agree that its over-rated.. Give me Pancit Malabon instead..
  • i personally love adobo... any kind in fact.

although, yes there are better tasting pinoy dishes around, i think adobo became iconic as the "national dish" because of its versatility and shelf life which makes it "the poor man's food".

just think... halos kahit ano pwede mong i-adobo. plus the ingredients are so cheap and it is simple to make. not to mention you can eat a lot of rice kahit konting ulam lang. in fact... i can eat a lot of rice with just the sauce. :lol:
  • avonleaavonlea PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    there are so many variaties of adobo... adobo sa goto, adobo sa pinya... adobong kangkong, okra, sitaw, baboy, baka, tilapia, and the list goes on... but then adobo is not uniquely filipino, right? in mexico they also have adobo...

but i've read an essay before by one of the national heroes i think, and he said that sinigang should be the "national dish", also citing the dish's versatility and variety... oooh, i have to get that book back home...

anyway, i love adobo and the way my dad cooked it... adobong tuyo... yung walang masyadong sabaw... sarap!

tsaka, hindi siya madaling masira... tumatagal ng isang linggo kahit hindi naka-ref...

OT: sa AFN dito sa korea... merong ad about asian cooking lesson and they specifically mentioned na kasali sa lulutuin ang "Filipino dish Lumpia"... i guess it's because a lot of the americans there like lumpia... my korean husband also likes lumpia (and sinigang!)
  • they have adobo in mexico?
  • may mga white akong kilala gusto adobo.. may naging kaklase ako sinama namin sa jollibee order nya spaghetti tapos sabi nya ang weird raw ng spaghetti natin dahil matamis.. hahaha...

lumpia ang all time favorite ng mga puti chaka ibang lahi.. hehehe...

mas masarap pa sa akin yung sinigang kesa sa adobo eh.. hehehe... nanjan na rin ang kare-kare... hehehe
  • they have adobo in mexico?
    yeah but adobo in mexico is barbecue..they dont cook it the way we do it...
  • adobo is not uniquely filipino at all because its a spanish dish "adobar"....

from what i know barbecue in latin america is not called adobo(contrary as to what jadebench was saying)its "asado"...you can google it if youre in doubt *okay* ..and yes you heard me right barbecue in latin america is asado...not the same asado that most of the pinoys are familiar with though..:)

this thread made me think,what is the ultimate 100% filipino dish then?:confused:
  • Sinigang maybe? :lol:
    Seriously, where else do they have sinigang? :crazy:

Tongue.gif
  • AgapitoAgapito PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Guile wrote:
    I don't know why this meal gained the number one spot. Honestly, it's not even that presentable, and nowhere near close to being the country's best tasting meal.
    Saang source or survey mo naman nakuha yan?
  • adobo is overrated but a lot of popular meals are, sushi, spaghetti bolognese, congee, lamb stew, gumbo, taco & a couple of australian staples called bangers & mash & fish & chips which are actually british. heck all british meals are overrated.

but i agree that a lot of caucasians love adobo. even the ones who are health conscious dont seem to mind the oil as they dont eat it often anyway but when they do they love it. i cant remember how many of them asked for the recipe & ive even tried their version of it & it was just as good even without the msg :bungi:
  • adobo is easy to prepare just dump all ingredients and cook... i particularly like the ilocano adobo; i guess because of the iloko vinegar.
  • vilben wrote:
    this thread made me think,what is the ultimate 100% filipino dish then?:confused:

dead heat between pinakbet & balatong (munggo) *okay*
  • maybe because madali lang lutuin ang adobo, you can find vinegar, soy sauce and garlic on any country, unlike other famous filipino dishes like sinigang and kare-kare, malabas ka lang ng pinas eh hirap nang humanap ng ingredients.

one way to cook adobo is to fry first the meat, then drain the oil and add the other ingredients. that way the meat will not swim in oil :D
  • jisc wrote:
    maybe because madali lang lutuin ang adobo, you can find vinegar, soy sauce and garlic on any country, unlike other famous filipino dishes like sinigang and kare-kare, malabas ka lang ng pinas eh hirap nang humanap ng ingredients.

speaking of kare-kare. there's already a mix for that. so just boil the meat till tender, and then put everything in the pot, and season to taste.

sinigang - not that hard either. same logic. but for someone to put all those ingredients (gabi, err what other veggies do they put besides kangkong and okra?), i guess that's the time you can say it's hard.
  • Ice BurnIce Burn PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Not really...I love Adobo. Besides, there are just so many ways to cook it. I make mine in such a way that it does not swim in oil. I'm traditional in making it too...I like to marinate it at least overnight and I also like putting laurel leaves and whole peppercorn for added flavor...

My fiance loves the adobo I cook and he's not pinoy. :)
  • akosilesterakosilester PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    may educational chart ako nung grade school, ang nakalagay na national dish ay LECHON :lol:

Adobo being our national dish is fine with me...
    Not overrated whatsoever…
    masarap naman, tsaka halos lahat pwedeng i-adobo...
    pork, chicken, kangkong, sitaw, isda...
    pati nga mga insekto, ina-adobo...
    depende rin kung paano/ano ang luto- adobo sa gata, adobong matamis, adobong tuyo, adobong masabaw, adobo sa pinya, adobong puti, adobo sa kalamansi...
    pwede pang ipalaman sa pandesal, filling ng siopao/puto, gawing adobo flakes at ibudbod sa pizza, sahog ng spaghetti, ihalo sa sinangag, at sahog kahit anong igisa...

madaling lutuin, ok lang kahit natuyuan ng sabaw at may tutong pa, makakain pa rin...
    kung may natira, iinit lang ng konti, pwede na naman uli...
    kitam, panalo talaga...hehe...

depende naman yan sa pagkaluto, lasa at presentation para magustuhan ng foreigners...
    dahil nga karaniwa'y medyo dark brown ang kulay, i-adjust mo lang ang dami ng toyo na gagamitin mo para hindi magmukhang panggatong ang karne...
    bawas-bawasan rin ang mantika, kung maari wag na maglagay ng mantika at hayaang magmantika yung taba ng karne...
    ganun lang...

siguro ang closest rival nito ay ang sinigang...
    kung variety rin lang ang pag-uusapan, at kung gaano ka-patok sa panlasa ng mga Pinoy...
  • lechon isnt 100% PURE FILIPINO EITHER..sa hawaii they have the same thing....and sa samoa

i guess sinigang nga ...or like what stjames said on this thread,munggo and pinakbet is one of the more filipino dish that we know of na mejo unique
  • I personally love adobo.. am more for pork adobo though.. yeah I know its a cholestorol nightmare but hey.. I like to live dangerously hehehe

As for uniquely filipino..there are actually lots out there..

Pinakbet
    Pinikpikan (god I love this...)

to name a few