Home PEx Campus San Beda College

Cultural Anthropology of the sardonic cheer "Beda Tulo Laway"

What is the history behind "Beda Tulo Laway?"

Please validate the soundness of this reasoning.

“Tulo laway” is often referred to as a mockery for the Chinese people residing in the Philippines.

So goes the line “Instik beho, tulo laway.”

I do not know what beho means so I have been keeping a baseless mental picture of an “Instik beho” all this time

id. est., a Chinese bean curd dessert (“taho”) vendor clad in white sando and loose fitting pajamas, who wears a sombrero, with unshaved facial hair, with 2 protruding incisors, shouting “taho! taho!” while drooling. That explains the “tulo laway” perhaps?

Oddly, even rich chinese people in the country are also called "beho."

So when we say “Beda, Tulo Laway,” would this mean the school is perceived as an academic institution housing plenty of Chinese students?

By the way, I am a Fil-Chi Bedan.

:bop:

Comments

• nope...

tulo laway kC nung time na un di pa coed ang beda

tulo laway sa ibang school, dahil walang girls sa beda un ang alam ko :D
  • Cultural Anthropology? Well , now... that's my line.

Beho comes from the word Viejo, which means an old man, usually a peddler or a vendor.

Why Tulo Laway? Because the Chinese are a hardworking lot. They wake up early and sweat it out even before the sun rises. The result? They get very tired at mid-day and take a siesta when business is slow.

Habang nagsusugal, nagtsitsismisan, at nagkukutuhan ang mga pinoy, umiidlip sandali si Tsinoy (at tulo-laway in the process kasi pagod nga) para maging masigla muli siya sa paggawa.

So there, hope this gives a fresh insight on the tulo-laway issue. The next time they cheer tulo-laway, let's feel flattered--- because that means industry and dignity in labor (LABORA), one real mark of a Benedictine... and which is aptly shown now by Team San Beda.

I am not sure if San Beda was heavily populated by Chinoys, Spanish mestizos puwede pa.

What I can deduce is that they simply jeer Tulo-laway as it remotely sounds like hey-u-kim-kumkawa in our Indian Yell. This but shows how idiotic our opponents are.

Well, I could be wrong, so I hope others would share their insights too.

I don't know if you've been to Bahay Tsinoy in Intramuros (just behind Letran--- I am a hardcore Bedan, but i teach in Letran... ). If you haven't, you should... for a more meaningful and enlightened view on Chinese participation in Filipino Life.

Pax!
  • ahhh...ok thanks for that.
    pero sabi nga nila na kaya "beda tulo-laway"
    kse dati pinaliligiran sila ng all-girl schools.(laco,holy,and ceu na dati ay all-girl school bago pa sya naging co-ed)..
    tulo-laway sila sa mga skuls na un..
    just as what demy_boy said.

^^,

ora et labora
  • i heard from a source that MIT started that taunt cheer un nga when beda was still an exclusive for boys school but they cant say that anymore sicnce we're co-ed now
  • onecarlos wrote: »
    What is the history behind "Beda Tulo Laway?"

So when we say “Beda, Tulo Laway,” would this mean the school is perceived as an academic institution housing plenty of Chinese students?

By the way, I am a Fil-Chi Bedan.

:bop:

nagpapaka (p) elite na naman :bop: sige na, parang Ateneo at La salle ang Beda. :D mas mataas na uri kayo kesa sa mga taga ceu, baste, feu, ue etc. haha

yan okay na. :D
  • nagpapaka (p) elite na naman :bop: sige na, parang Ateneo at La salle ang Beda. :D mas mataas na uri kayo kesa sa mga taga ceu, baste, feu, ue etc. haha

yan okay na. :D

Uy ikaw nagsabi nyan ah!

Lagot ka pag may nakabasa na tiga CEU, San Sebastian, FEU at UE ng post mo.

And by the way it is San Beda not Beda. Ok?
  • ano b problema ni [cla_cbe_d_best]?!?

lagi n lng nya cnsabi yung line n kalevel ang ateneo at lasalle...

ayaw ko nang magcomment, dahil magpapakaTROLL lang lalo yan