I just noticed something about regional pride in the Philippines.

GuileGuile Symbian personified PExer
This is just an observation.

I just notice that some provinces are apperently into showcasing their regional identity in the national scene, hence the notion of regional pride comes (e.g., Ilocano pride, Cebuano pride, *insert-name-of-a-province-here* pride).

I also notice how they would perceive Manila as something imposing. Being a Quezon City resident all my life, I never understood this mentality that much at all.

For example, I went to Laoag once and they're having a festival of some sort. In front of the Capitol there's a plaza where a week-long festival is being celebrated. There's a streamer there that says something like: "Special guests: celebrities from Manila"

During the evening where the event is actually being done, there were indeed celebrities that came (Beth Tamayo and Dino Guevarra to name a few). I wonder if the streamer was an effective lure (putting emphasis on the name Manila, that is). I mean why just name all the clebrities that will come to the event instead of stating "Celebrities from Manila", which looks kinda vague to me. Or maybe I'm just a native NCR resident so the streamer wasn't really effective.

I also notice how my relatives in Laoag treat me like a VIP. Theoretically, it should flatter me but I got more uncomfortable than flattered. When they would serve me food, they would even peel off the shrimp from it's skin to serve it to me. I don't know if my place of origin has something to do with it or maybe it's an Ilocano trait to be so hospitable.

My point is, isn't it ironic that some people in the provinces would have the concept of regional identity, even tend to look up at Manila residents (I think the concept of regional identity is a self defense strategy to prevent the National Capital Region from streamlining things) but Manila residents themselves have no concept of such thing. I mean, we don't have a concept of Manilenio Pride.

Maybe it's because all of Manila residents can trace their roots on another province, hence the concept of Manilenio pride is a bit vague, if not silly.

Personally, my mom is Ilocana and my Dad is Batanguenio but you don't hear me showcase my regional heritage. I just don't think it's that necessary.

Well maybe the concept of regional pride is not that important.

Comments

• flimmeryrose741flimmeryrose741 Banned by Admin PExer
    ano ba naman toh!
    Pati ba ikaw?
    regional pride? so what??????
    Your so good at criticizing...
  • GuileGuile Symbian personified PExer
    And your point is?

The last time I check, this is the BUHAY PINOY section.

Anything about pinoy life can be discussed here, from topics as shallow as "DUMUDUWAL KA BA PAG NAGSISIPILYO" to the more complicated ones such as "UNDERSTANDING THE FILIPINO CORE VALUES".

No one is coercing anyone to read this.

If you don't like the topic, there's always the ignore option.
  • shonenshonen knife PExer
    <--- Bulacan's finest :rotflmao:
  • Green_PromdiGreen_Promdi Wanderer PExer
    <---- Chavacano Pride! Viva La Sangre Zamboangueno! *okay*
    Guile wrote:
    This is just an observation.

I just notice that some provinces are apperently into showcasing their regional identity in the national scene, hence the notion of regional pride comes (e.g., Ilocano pride, Cebuano pride, *insert-name-of-a-province-here* pride).

I also notice how they would perceive Manila as something imposing. Being a Quezon City resident all my life, I never understood this mentality that much at all.

For example, I went to Laoag once and they're having a festival of some sort. In front of the Capitol there's a plaza where a week-long festival is being celebrated. There's a streamer there that says something like: "Special guests: celebrities from Manila"

During the evening where the event is actually being done, there were indeed celebrities that came (Beth Tamayo and Dino Guevarra to name a few). I wonder if the streamer was an effective lure (putting emphasis on the name Manila, that is). I mean why just name all the clebrities that will come to the event instead of stating "Celebrities from Manila", which looks kinda vague to me. Or maybe I'm just a native NCR resident to the streamer wasn't really effective.

I also notice how my relatives in Laoag treats me like a VIP. Theoretically, it should flatter me but I got more uncomfortable than flattered. When they would serve me food, they would even peel off the shrimp from it's skin to serve it to me. I don't know if my place of origin has something to do with it or maybe it's an Ilocano trait to be so hospitable.

My point is, isn't it ironic that some people in the provinces would have the concept of regional identity, even tend to look up at Manila residents (I think the concept of regional identity is a self defense strategy to prevent the National Capital Region from streamlining things) but Manila residents themselves have no concept of such thing. I mean, we don't have a concept of Manilenio Pride.

Maybe it's because all of Manila residents can trace their roots on another province, hence the concept of Manilenio pride is a bit vague, if not silly.

Peronally, my mom is Ilocana and my Dad is Batanguenio but you don't hear me showcase my regional heritage. I just don't think it's that necessary.

Ah yes, the regionalism concept... yep I myself am a victim of this sickness.

Ok, I think the reason you find regional pride as not important is because you grew up in the Metro. The Melting Pot Theory applies in this case, that cultures will eventually melt into one, especially when various cultures are molded in a exact amount of space as in the case of the Metro Manila area. So yeah, people in these areas don't usually believe in regional pride.

As for the case of people from the province, places are not as connected as the cities in Metro Manila which are intertwined via EDSA,C-5, NLEX, SLEX etc. The places are more secluded to each other take the Mindanao island for example. I for one was raised in Zamboanga City so if I go out of the city the first thing I'll see are either mountains, trees or rebel camps! :) Because of the gap between cities, regional ideas rise, like Cagayan de Oro as the city of golden friendships, Iligan the city of waterfalls etc... In this case diversity rises between cultures and thus creating something they can be proud of like languages, foods, festivals, dances etc.

It's just like praising people like Apl de Ap(Black Eyed Peas), Nicole(PCD), Batista(WWE), Jasmine Trias(AI) just because they have Filipino blood.
  • orangepinkorangepink orange != pink PExer
    Guile wrote:

It's important for me (I'm a cebuano, btw). Proud din naman ako to be Filipino. Proud din ako to be half-chinese. It doesn't have to be one thing only.
  • bigasATpakwanbigasATpakwan Ebony PExer
    in the same vein, we Filipinos are proud when a Filipino-American wins this or that contest.
  • ooh_lalahhooh_lalahh tra_lalahh PExer

>>> Pampanga's Best! :D
  • rev4maiterev4maite Your Dirty Angel PExer
    Bulacan's best...

cyempre iba feeling mo kc sa manila ka lang based, ewan ko ha pansin ko lng kc lalo na sa mga provinces na mlayo sa Manila eh ibang-iba ang tingin nila pag andun ka... Un bang feeling superior ka over them or may something special sa'yo na wala sa kanila. Hindi ko nilalahat pero yan mostly ang observation ko ska cyempre isama na rin ang hospitality ng mga tao sa probinsya na malayo sa Manila.

@ orangepink

r u a celebrity?
  • pro_temporepro_tempore nakikipaglibang PExer
    as Green_Promdi said, cities become melting pots, so it's natural for city kids to lose their sense of cultural identity.

there's also the factor that children in cities are rarely called on to involve themselves in civic efforts, or even to listen to their elders and talk to their neighbors, which is why they don't feel a sense of community.

any sort of cultural identity is a good thing, as long as it's not taken to extremes (clan wars, negative stereotyping, etc). regional pride may just be the last stand of our nation's traditions and history in this increasingly globalizing world. if only our leaders knew how to harness the strengths of regional pride, we'd probably have a stronger sense of identity and unity as a nation.
  • Assassin_MageAssassin_Mage Warmonger PExer
    another factor would be media.

in the media, whether it is news, movies or even print, the emphasis is always on the Greater manila area. If you dont look hard enough, you would not see much mention from the provinces.

If you grew up in GMA, you wont really notice this. But for people from the provinces, it is quite noticeable. it's always manila this, manila that..

the idea is
    the best schools are in manila
    the best jobs are in manila
    the best whatever is in manila..

wel what about the other places?

The general idea is that manila is the philippines. Even foreigners think so.. If there are rallies in manila, the general feeling is that there are rallies over the country. Which is not necessarily true though.

that is the reason why people go to the extent of differentiating manila..
  • orangepinkorangepink orange != pink PExer
    rev4maite wrote:
    @ orangepink
    r u a celebrity?

no hehehe ;)
  • rev4maiterev4maite Your Dirty Angel PExer
    orangepink wrote:
    no hehehe ;)

Oh i see :rotflmao:
  • -=+cZaRiNa+=--=+cZaRiNa+=- Member PExer
    ang mga NCR mayors ayaw payagang manumpa si Gloria sa Cebu . . .

tsk tsk tsk one concrete example
  • jazzyjazzy Eskapology.com PExer
    Marketing yan. Every province need that. Si mayor atienza nga may tv show pa diba. :)

Megatipid.com - ang Website ng mga Wais!
    www.megatipid.com
  • jazzyjazzy Eskapology.com PExer
    double post. sowi.

Megatipid.com - ang Website ng mga Wais!
    www.megatipid.com
  • dickiedickie Member PExer
    Well maybe you should try going to Cebu. Tagalogs are literally looked down in that place of the country. Heck they don't even talk to you in Tagalog. Everything in Cebuano. That's regional pride for you!

In fairness, Cebu has accomplished so much on its own without the help of the National Govt. It's a rich province so people coming from these province don't feel they don't have to suck up to people coming from Manila/other regions. Unlike people in Ilocos kasi thier province is poor so siempre they tend to suck up. On the otherhand maybe they are just naturally more hospitable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file