Home PEx Lifestyle Health and Wellness
Speak your mind, but mind what you post. Let's not spread disinformation and/or misinformation.

[MERGED] Bruxism ( Teeth grinding )

clawed_outclawed_out PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
they said na i'm doing that when i'm sleeping, is there something wrong with that?

that means that i'm doing it unconsciously....is there a way to cure this?

how bad is this?

Comments

• IraIra PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Teeth grinding when asleep is clinically termed "nocturnal bruxism" (funny how medicine makes simple things so complicated, ano? ;) ). It is a recognized sleep disorder, and may cause wearing down and loosening of your teeth, headaches, and jaw muscle pains if left untreated. Its specific cause is unknown, but is believed to be due to a combination of factors like stress, a type A personality, and misalignment of teeth. Suggested ways to avoid this is to learn better stress management, and to have yourself fitted with a mouthguard by your dentist, in order to prevent damage to your teeth and your jaws.
    Characteristics of a Type A personality include being tense, having a rapid and explosive speech pattern, always being in a hurry, impatience, does and thinks of a lot of things at the same time, feeling guilty when relaxing, success-driven, a determination to win every game/argument, frequent knee-jiggling and fingertapping habits, etc. I think you get the picture. :)
  • clawed_outclawed_out PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ate ira, what is that "type A personality"?

thanks!
  • tRiStAntRiStAn PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    [off topic]

I have a type A perssonality pala...
  • wAgKaNgMaKuLiTwAgKaNgMaKuLiT PEx Veteran ⭐⭐

-- OFF TOPIC --

diba sabi nila bad daw yun?
    sabi kse sa akin sa filipinos raw, meaning nunminumura mo yun mga parents habang tulog... totoo ba yun?

:D:D:D

[This messege has been edited by bLuiE (edited 06-26-1900).] :)
    Originally posted by wAgKaNgMaKuLiT:
    -- OFF TOPIC --

diba sabi nila bad daw yun?
    sabi kse sa akin sa filipinos raw, meaning nunminumura mo yun mga parents habang tulog... totoo ba yun?

[This message has been edited by bLuiE (edited 06-26-1900).] :)[/B]

Nope, bruxism is just teeth grinding. You may be confusing it with Tourette's Syndrome. :) By the way, who's bLuiE?
  • taking weed and popping also cause extensive, unconscious teeth grinding. :)
  • clawed_outclawed_out PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    what's popping?

sorry i'm clean, i dont do drugs...never thought of trying those....

i'm more on the stressed out & type a personality :)
  • wAgKaNgMaKuLiTwAgKaNgMaKuLiT PEx Veteran ⭐⭐

si bLuiE?
    kiti kiti yun... wag mong pansinin yun... hehehe... ;)

:D:D:D
  • doc ira,

how much will a mouthguard cost? wala bang dangers? i mean putting a rubber (is it made of rubber?) inside your mouth while sleeping? di ko kaya malunok yun?

medyo pudpud na kasi ang mga ngipin ko. is it too late to be using mouthguards?

thanks a lot :)
  • jeev, i just had my daughter fitted with a mouthguard. it costs around P4,000.
  • PearlM , wow, mahal pala ano? anyway, thanks for the info. ill try to talk to my dentist. sana bigyan ako ng discount :redsmile:
  • Clawed_out: What Chili probably means by "popping" is taking pills like Ecstasy... I think teeth-grinding is one of the side-effects of taking E, though hindi naman siya limited to the nocturnal type of bruxism.
  • possible pa bang mastop un?? kase sabi ng mom ko nagteteeth grinding daw ako every night...
  • smilewarriorsmilewarrior Moderator PEx Moderator
    Please visit a dentist and have your teeth assesed. You can have a mouth guard made by the dentist for you. It's like an appliance that is placed in the mouth, worn while you are sleeping, which help minimize the damaging effects of teeth grinding/BRUXISM.

Soft and hard mouth guards are available, I personally prefer the hard ones. Soft mouth guards could have a greater effect on the alignment of your teeth and could affect how the upper and the lower teeth "fit" with each other. Hard mouth guards may also have the same effect, to a lesser degree. Constant monitoring by and constant communication with the dentist is important.
  • hay naku 3sha.. ganyan din case ko.. to the point na sabi ng dentist ko may TMJ dysfunction daw ako kc super sumasakit na yung jaw and ulo ko.. am on treatment now for 6 months... may splint ako na ginawa nya tapos inaadjust every month. ask ko lang... after ng treatment ko, pwede ba magpagawa ng mouth gurad para forever na ako di magbu-brixism? kc sabi ng mga pinsan ko na pag di daw nakasuot yung splint ko at night ang lakas ko pa din magngalit ng ngipin...
    {xuxa}, is the splint you have a hard (cannot be bent) or the soft type (can be bent)?

If it's the hard type, it can essentially be used as a mouth guard if indeed you do grind your teeth at night.

A word of caution though, it's best to ask your dentist if your splint would suffice as a mouth guard or if your dentist plans to make you discontinue the use of the splint after a certain period. Your dentist is in a better position than me to determine exactly what type of treatment you need as I cannot see you physically.
  • i remembered my ortho fixing my jagged lower front teeth at least 3 times coz they'd always break coz of bruxism. add to that, my molar bands and braces would pop out. am not on braces anymore, i didn't bother having my jagged teeth fixed and i'm back to zero. haay!:(

ok lang, may asawa na naman ako and sanay na sya sa itsura ng ipin ko. di narin sya nagigising sa gabi, hehe.:D

Question though, why do we grind out teeth and how come we can't do it when we're awake?
  • thanks sa replies.. its better nga to consult my dentist na lang.. :D
    Pinatubo, there is a school of thought that believes that bruxism is a means of releasing stress/tension. Do you have a very stressful lifestyle/ job? Do you tend to bottle up all your anger? It usually does occur at night, hence the term NOCTURNAL BRUXISM.

Others, though agreeing that it is connected to stress, believe that it is not normal.

You may want a mouth guard fabricated by your dentist that you can wear at night. As mentioned earlier, the hard ones are better.

The mouth guard won't correct your malaligned teeth. It will, however, help prevent further damage to your other teeth.