Home PEx International Entertainment International Movies
Speak your mind, but mind what you post. Let's not spread disinformation and/or misinformation.

Alfred Hitchcock - Master of Thrill and Suspense

Any Hitchcock fans here? I just started watching some Hitchcock films and they're very interesting... although sadly I haven't got Vertigo and Rear Window yet... which are touted to be two of his best works.

I just saw Spellbound, and I found it intriguing that some of the elements of the dream sequences there reminded me of the dream sequences from "Eternal Sunshine of the Sleepless Mind", especially the dreaming-people-with-no-faces aspect of it :p

Napanood ko na din Psycho, and it's a wild ride too!

Comments

• Hey, last dodo bird. ngayon ko lang nakita to. gagawa sana ako ng thread, but here it is. yeah, i'm a huge hitchcock fan. i just watched young and innocent last saturday - it's a romantic murder mystery, with a dash of british comedy. (cameo alert: watch for a younger, thinner hitch outside the courthouse.) fantastic movie, althiough underrated. it was made in 1937, three movies before Hitch would do Rebecca, his first venture in hollywood land. for a movie that was made in 30s, it has aged well. *okay*

the bulk of hitchcock movies I saw, napanood ko nung high school pa ko. the first hitch movie i saw was shadow of doubt, made in 1943. hitch said it's the movie he's most proud of. recently, im looking for his british, pre-hollywood movies. i consider vertigo one of his best. jaw dropping finale. where do you get your hitchcock movies? i used to have a supplier in quiapo, pero wala na ngayon. lumipat na ata. :lol:

may feature yung lifestyle network 2 wks ago on tippi hedren. she's the heroine in the birds and marnie - not one of my favorites but seeing a much, much younger sean connery was a surprise - and there were a lot of things she said about hitchcock, who was obsessed with her. (even hitch's wife alma had to apologize to her because of hitch's unwarranted, pesky attention.) critics and film historians say marnie mirrors the relationship between hitch and tippi hedren (aka melanie griffith's mom), which is telling, because it culminates in the ***** of the tippi hedren character!

next hitch movie im planning to see: Rebecca, which is based on Daphne Du Maurier's novel of the same name. Gothic romance yung novel, it's a descendant of Jane Eyre. Or Yung The foreign correspondent. depende kung ano yung una kong mahanap.

Ps. after my brother and I saw pyscho, we began calling our mom, Mother. hehe. (although tapos na yung phase na yun.)
  • Where do you get your hitchcock movies? I've been looking for dvd's of the following movies:
    Notorious
    Vertigo
    Rear Window
    To Catch a Thief
  • last.dodo.birdlast.dodo.bird PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I get mine in metrowalk :) Daming nagbebenta dun ng classics. Hitchcock... Kurosawa... minsan buong set pa ng complete works nila.
  • last.dodo.bird

You HAVE to see Rear Window. It's Hitchcock at his finest.
    I suggest watching Rebecca too. It'll get you "Hitched" (hehe). Dial "M" for Murder of course is also a must see.

Erhm, don't buy pirated, the newly released Hitchcock sets (originals) are digitally enhanced. They especially updated the sound quality (which is important in Hitch's films, especially Rear Window, the use of natural sounds in the movie is phenomenal.) It's the set with the purple velvet cover box btw.

lone_gunmen - nice to know I'm not the only Hitch fan here. :D Get that purple velvet set! Geat selection
  • hey, me too!

I have seen rear window. Meron kasi akong film class. I mean I am not saying - I am a fan. To be honest, I don't like old movies. But yeah, rear window is fine but wasn't that exciting for me. The old movie that I realy like was casablanca- and oh- i forgot some of them.
  • booksalebooksale PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    i have a collection of all the hitchcock movies pero hindi ko pa siya napapanood (except for the ones i've already seen years ago).

so, nakabili ka na rin ng hitchcock collection, dodo?
  • last.dodo.birdlast.dodo.bird PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    booksale wrote:
    i have a collection of all the hitchcock movies pero hindi ko pa siya napapanood (except for the ones i've already seen years ago).

so, nakabili ka na rin ng hitchcock collection, dodo?
    Hindi pa eh :D pero next time ako mapadpad dun at meron pa... baka magkaron na ako. hehehe.
  • booksalebooksale PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    meron pa siya sa may quiapo (sa quezon blvd, near Times cinema). 6 discs. complete siya. iisa na lang ang kopya. the only one i've seen sa lahat ng stalls na dinaanan ko. bilis, buy na bago mawala siya. :lol:
  • North by Northwest must see Hitch film!
  • I get mine in metrowalk :) Daming nagbebenta dun ng classics. Hitchcock... Kurosawa... minsan buong set pa ng complete works nila.

Ive never tried metrowalk. Ive always been a quiapo fan, despite the chaos, bad traffic, snatchers, and all. im planning to go there this sunday so i hope it wont rain.
  • ErnestinaErnestina PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    i love REBECCA! psycho, rear window

notorious bored me death.
  • C.I.C.C.IC.I.C.C.I PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    aramus wrote:
    Where do you get your hitchcock movies? I've been looking for dvd's of the following movies:
    Notorious
    Vertigo
    Rear Window
    To Catch a Thief

try ebay ..........
    MOVIES I HAVE SEEN

1. Vertigo
    2. Psycho
    3. Dial M for Murder
    4. The Birds
    5. North by Northwest
    6. Rear Window

MOVIES I HAVENT SEEN

1. Notorious
    2. Rebecca
    3. 39 Steps
    4. Family Plot
    5. Rope
    6. Strangers on a Train
    7. Topaz
    8. Frenzy
    9. Family Plot
    10. The Man Who Knew Too Much
    11. Spellbound
    12. Mr. and Mrs. Smith
    13. Spellbound
    14. Saboteur
    15. Stage Fright
  • jhnjstnjysjhnjstnjys PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    i have great respect for hitchcook's talent. this might be a generalization but i think that he is one of the greatest directors of all time and he surely mastered his genre. i have only seen six of his films since that his movies are hard to find and they became my favorites especially vertigo, that movie is just incredible.
  • C.I.C.C.I wrote:
    MOVIES I HAVENT SEEN

1. Notorious
    2. Rebecca
    3. 39 Steps
    4. Family Plot
    5. Rope
    6. Strangers on a Train
    7. Topaz
    8. Frenzy
    9. Family Plot
    10. The Man Who Knew Too Much
    11. Spellbound
    12. Mr. and Mrs. Smith
    13. Spellbound
    14. Saboteur
    15. Stage Fright

Mr. and Mrs. Smith is forgettable.

If you are planning on having a Hitchcock film night, start with Strangers on a Train, The Man Who Knew Too Much, and Rebecca. Awesome movies!
    Mr. and Mrs. Smith is forgettable.

If you are planning on having a Hitchcock film night, start with Strangers on a Train, The Man Who Knew Too Much, and Rebecca. Awesome movies!

This thread got me in a roll.

I already have rented the following in vhs/dvd

1. To Catch a Thief
    2. Suspicion
    3. Spellbound
    4. 39 steps
  • Hitchcock's films are like Pringles. Once you pop, you can't stop. Haha.

It's just way too addictive. After you watch one, you'll crave for more!

Oh and, has anyone seen the TV series he directed? Are they good? I haven't seen any DVD copies at Best Buy or any other store.
  • the hitch films that i've seen, so far:

psycho
    vertigo
    young and innocent
    north by northwest
    dial m for murder
    the man who knew too much
    marnie
    the birds
    shadow of doubt
    saboteur

I'm sure, may nakalimutan ako, pero I cant remember all of them right now. next stop, i'll be watching rebecca or the foreign correspondent. By the way, I've just finished reading Daphne Du Maurier's My Cousin Rachel. Du Maurier wrote Rebecca and Jamaica Inn, which Hitchcock later made into movies. I'm looking for a copy of Jamaica Inn. It's not one of Du Maurier's novel, I think, but all the same, it was a Hitchcock movie so I'll watch it.
    saw ROPE last night....

hitchcock was truly a superb director...

something i found out from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope_%28film%29

Homoeroticism

Rope may be considered a homoerotic movie, even though the film version never indicates that the two murderers in the film were having an affair. Even though homosexuality was a highly controversial theme for the 1940's the movie made it through censorship. However, many towns chose to ban it independently, memories of Leopold and Loeb still being fresh in some peoples' minds. Both Dall and Granger were actually gay in real life, as was screenwriter Arthur Laurents — even the piano score played by Granger (Mouvement Perpétuel No. 1 by Francis Poulenc) is the work of a gay composer. Granger's role was first offered to another homosexual actor, Montgomery Clift, who turned the offer down, probably due to the risks of coming out in public. Cary Grant turned down the part of Rupert Cadell for similar reasons. Leopold and Loeb, whom it has been suggested that Philip and Brandon are based upon, were also gay.

In Hitchcock's Films Revisited, critic Robin Wood points to several instances in the film that could be interpreted as homoerotic. He suggests the opening strangulation reflects the euphoria of an orgasm and the subsequent limpness; and Wood sees masturbatory overtones to the scene in which Brandon excitedly fingers the neck of a champagne bottle.

In Hamilton's play, the dialogue is much more homoerotic, as is the relationship between the students and their teacher. Many of these "risky" elements were removed from the script as the play was rewritten for the film, due to the censorship of the time. Despite this, Hitchcock managed to supply much subtext which made it past the rigorous tests of the censor.

Three other films, Compulsion, Swoon and Murder by Numbers, were also based on the Leopold and Loeb case.