MRT & LRT Issues

rhk111rhk111 Son of Boltok The Rapist PExer
I have had a couple of occassions to ride both the MRT 3 & LRT 1 recently. And, I have to say, I came away w/ mixed emotions about it.

The LRT 1 / MRT 3 is the cheapest, & fastest way to go around the Metropolis. The MRT 3, for example, is the only transportation available in the city that will take you from EDSA-Taft, to North EDSA in 30 minutes or so. In airconditioned comfort. At only P15 per ride.

I took an airconditioned bus on the way back, & it cost me P26. And it took me 1 & 1/2 hours.

However, both transportation systems have 2 main problems:
* Inefficient Ticket Distribution System
* Overcrowding in the Trains

TICKET DISTRIBUTION

On the main MRT 3 stations, like EDSA-Taft, for example, it will take one about 10-15 min. to queue for a ticket on MOST (take note, not just SOME) hours, during weekdays, & even Saturdays. Even on the big stations, the spaces are barely enough to contain the lines of crowds trying to get a ticket. This, of course, is a extreme security risk. Never mind terrorism, a more common problem would be petty crime, like pickpocketing.

I think the main cause is that just isn't enough ticket outlets even for the main stations. I count a total of 5 ticket outlets at the EDSA-Taft station, & they all are always filled during most of the day.

An obvious solution would be, to increase the no. of ticket outlets. Among possible solutions would be:

A) VENDO MACHINES - In more progressive cities like Hong Kong, or Singapore, there are always a lot of vendo machines on major stations. I saw one at the EDSA-Taft station, but its been there for YEARS now, & it seems that if the MRT 3 authority had plans of putting those in, it never seemed to have gotten off the ground, for some reason. Those vendo machines will not be cheap, of course, but they definitely will likely go a long way in terms of queueing up for a ticket faster.

B) WIDER DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM - Right now, MRT tickets are being sold only on MRT 3 or LRT 1 stations (that I know of, anyway). A possible, alternative solution, would probably be to allow more private business outlets to sell the tickets. And not just any private business outlets. These should be the ones w/ the widest distribution network all over the city, like 7-11 shops & SM Malls.
Not only should these private business outlets be allowed to sell these tickets, there should also be an ample information campaign to make everyone on the availability of the tickets. No use having them sold on alternative outlets, if nobody knows about them. Information posted on the MRT stations, & on the alternative outlets themselves would go a long way to making people aware about them.

OVERCROWDING ON TRAINS

Even if the problem on ticket distribution is solved, a more important problem, would be the overcrowding on the trains themselves. This issue, is getting worst on the MRT 3. However, on the LRT 1, it has become a crisis. The trains are always loaded on most hours of the day, so much so, that it is not worth riding the LRT 1 anymore.

So many people trying to get into the trains. And even if you wait for next 3-4 trains, the problem is still there, it doesn't go away.

An obvious solution, would be:

A) MORE TRAINS - The LRT 1 administration should probably target cutting down the time between the arrival of trains to within 2-3 minutes on MOST (not just an hour during rush hours, but for 3-4 hr. spots during the day) OPERATIONAL HOURS of the day to ease the overcrowding.

B) BIGGER TRAINS - The biggest Mass Rail transit trains in the country right now are those belonging to the MRT servicing the Recto to Marikina (MRT 2?). They are bigger than the LRT, or MRT trains. If there is a way to put those trains into the LRT 1 & MRT 3 routes, it will help decongest those 2 train systems.

A Mass Railway Transit system is supposed to be one of the country's main showcases, but right now, the 2 main systems we have in place are being overwhelmed by overcrowding & innefficiency.

Comments

• laarnilaarni Pang-asar PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    rhk111 wrote:
    OVERCROWDING ON TRAINS

Even if the problem on ticket distribution is solved, a more important problem, would be the overcrowding on the trains themselves. This issue, is getting worst on the MRT 3. However, on the LRT 1, it has become a crisis. The trains are always loaded on most hours of the day, so much so, that it is not worth riding the LRT 1 anymore.

They really need to add more trains. The last time I was there, halos halikan ko na yung glass ng door sa sobrang dami ng tao. Dikit-dikit talaga. Pero mas preferred ko yan kesa bus or even private vehicle dahil iwas-traffic. As for the ticket distribution... hmmm... magandang opportunity ito.

Ano na ba ang bagong train lines/routes dyan after the MRT3? Di ba merong LRT1, 2, 3, MRT 1, 2, 3 etc? Ano-ano ang mga routes?
  • El_MestizoEl_Mestizo Banned by Admin PExer
    the LRT-2 (Recto to Santolan, Pasig) is the most efficient rail transport system that we have nowadays, although it too has problems with overcrowding, most especially in Recto, Legarda and Cubao stations. :hmm:
  • altairaltair The Flying Eagle PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Overcrowding happens even in the really good metro systems.

In Seoul, and, as I heard, also in Tokyo, there are subway employees assigned to pack the commuters inside the cars during rush hours. As in, sinasalansan ang mga tao sa loob.

daehan_wayguk.jpg
    World Cup 2006
    Any country but japan or the united states
    미국 美國
    하고
    일본 日本
    너무 싫어!!!
  • KukuruKukuru Member PExer
    You also have to consider that passenger fare in the MRT/LRT is being subsidized by the government. Meaning, your ticket ride in these trains are actually more expensive than its face value that you paid for. If passengers will be forced to pay the correct fare so that the government can use the subsidy money to buy more trains, probably the tickets would be so expensive nobody will ride the trains anymore.
    altair wrote:

In Seoul, and, as I heard, also in Tokyo, there are subway employees assigned to pack the commuters inside the cars during rush hours. As in, sinasalansan ang mga tao sa loob.

You are right. When I was watching a documentary here about Japanese rail system, meron silang pinakita na yung parang mga security people nila, ina-assist pa nga ang mga tao na magkasya kahit na halos di na masara ang mga pinto. Naisip ko tuloy 'ay, me ganon din pala sa kanila, 'kala ko tayo lang.':lol:
    laarni wrote:
    You are right. When I was watching a documentary here about Japanese rail system, meron silang pinakita na yung parang mga security people nila, ina-assist pa nga ang mga tao na magkasya kahit na halos di na masara ang mga pinto. Naisip ko tuloy 'ay, me ganon din pala sa kanila, 'kala ko tayo lang.':lol:

You mean these? : :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMGnDbXw-hA&search=crowded%20subway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQG-aLi7lOo&search=japan%20train

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NELs_vZHRx4&search=crowded%20train

I guess we can't complain much, can we? :D
    El_Mestizo wrote:
    the LRT-2 (Recto to Santolan, Pasig) is the most efficient rail transport system that we have nowadays, although it too has problems with overcrowding, most especially in Recto, Legarda and Cubao stations. :hmm:

Complete na ba ang MRT3? Last time parang hanggang buendia lang yata yan. Teka, ano yung MRT1 at MRT2? I assume LRT1 is the very first light rail we have.
  • topnotch97topnotch97 Marley Brinx says hi PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Vending Machines would be a good way. Not only that, those tickets are disposable and biodegradable. The only problem, cost and cost of maintenance. But if they push for it, in the long run it will save time and money.

Tickets being sold at convenience stores will be a bit difficult, coz you need to activate the tickets that are pre-paid using a scanner/writer. And you need a dedicated line that will talk between scanner and server, telling that the ticket is activated. Much like a credit card scanner or validator. The problem is that, not all convenience stores has credit card validators or the existing units are not capable for such functions.

What's keeping all of these measures to be implemented is the bureaucracy. You can't help it that bidders are also taking advantage of profitability if they get approved, but not really minding the welfare of customers.
  • El_MestizoEl_Mestizo Banned by Admin PExer
    laarni wrote:
    Complete na ba ang MRT3? Last time parang hanggang buendia lang yata yan. Teka, ano yung MRT1 at MRT2? I assume LRT1 is the very first light rail we have.

hindi pa complete ang MRT-3, the current Taft Avenue to North Avenue train. it will still be extended up to Monumento, with stations in Mu?oz/Roosevelt/Congressional, Balintawak and, of course, Monumento.
  • rhk111rhk111 Son of Boltok The Rapist PExer
    topnotch97 wrote:
    Tickets being sold at convenience stores will be a bit difficult, coz you need to activate the tickets that are pre-paid using a scanner/writer. And you need a dedicated line that will talk between scanner and server, telling that the ticket is activated. Much like a credit card scanner or validator. The problem is that, not all convenience stores has credit card validators or the existing units are not capable for such functions.

I think most, if not all, 7-11 outlets already have such a similar system in place. Notice that if you buy call or internet cards from them, they don't give you the scratchable cards anymore. They have an online system which just gives you the username & password.
    topnotch97 wrote:
    What's keeping all of these measures to be implemented is the bureaucracy. You can't help it that bidders are also taking advantage of profitability if they get approved, but not really minding the welfare of customers.

Agree.
    altair wrote:

I could be wrong, but these things don't seem to happen in countries like Hong Kong, or Singapore. Of course, they have much less population than we do.
    Overcrowding is a supply-and-demand issue. If you have more passengers than there are trains available, then you should expect to have overcrowding. Or if a system is in place to regulate the number of passengers inside the train to avoid overcrowding, then expect a long waiting time to board a train.
  • Assassin_MageAssassin_Mage Warmonger PExer
    My main gripe about the Transit lines is about the transit intersections.

I don't really understand as to why the stations near the intersections of the lines are not situated on the intersection itself.

for example
    If you are coming from Recto and want to go to Boni Avenue. You woud ride the LRT up to Araneta station and then walk a long way to the MRT station in cubao.

I cant understand as to why they did not make it one station. So that people transitting from one line to the other can do so with convenience.

Is it because they had prior arrangements with the owners of the malls?
  • altairaltair The Flying Eagle PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    rhk111 wrote:
    I could be wrong, but these things don't seem to happen in countries like Hong Kong, or Singapore. Of course, they have much less population than we do.

HK and Singapore are small cities.

I guess that a more reasonable comparison would be with Seoul-Incheon or the Osaka-Kobe-Kyoto area.

Manila has really lagged behind in terms of urban mass transit.

In 1984, Seoul had only 2 lines.

Today, it has 8.

And its map is a veritable rainbow.

SeoulSubway_cropped.jpg

The lines to Incheon are also being extended up to the Incheon International Airport and there is another express line being constructed that would run from Seoul Station to the international airport.

Buying tickets is also a cinch. There are vending machines that dispense tickets and there are also storage cards available.

The non-contact storage card may be used on buses as well.

smart.jpg

What happened during the 80s?
    The governments were busy fending off coups, so nobody must have given much thought about mass transit.

Filipino_c_n.png
  • Assassin_MageAssassin_Mage Warmonger PExer
    My main gripe about the Transit lines is about the transit intersections.

I don't really understand as to why the stations near the intersections of the lines are not situated on the intersection itself.

for example
    If you are coming from Recto and want to go to Boni Avenue. You woud ride the LRT up to Araneta station and then walk a long way to the MRT station in cubao.

I cant understand as to why they did not make it one station. So that people transitting from one line to the other can do so with convenience.

Is it because they had prior arrangements with the owners of the malls?
  • faux_phfaux_ph future technocrat PExer
    Sa Hong Kong kaya efficient yung railway system nila is bigger coaches, shorter wait period, multiple line, e-ticket system.

a) Yung coaches nila ay mas malaki sa LRT1 at MRT3. Halos pareho sila ng size ng coaches sa LRT2 ( Santolan-Rect0 Line )

b.) Frequency ng rides ay mas mabilis. Pinakamatagal na yata yung 5 min bago darating yung susunod train kahit rush hour pa.

c.)Multiple line- Pwedeng dumaan yung ibang linya ng train halimbawa yung coaches ng Santolan-Recto Line ay pwede dumaan sa riles ng MRT3 ( North-Baclaran Line ). Current state ng railway system natin ay iisang linya lang ang pwede dumaan sa riles.

d.) E-ticket system - yung ticket system nila ay hindi lang pang-train kundi halos lahat ng financial transaction where cash is required. Ito yung Octopus Card na sinasabi nila. Pwede mo sya gamitin sa pamasahe sa bus, train, pambili sa groceries, malls etc. virtually halos lahat ng pwedeng bilhan. Current state ng ticketing system natin ay exclusive lang sa iisang linya ng tren at hindi pwede sa ibang linya, you need separate ticket to do this kaya hassle.

Sana masimulan na yung LRT4 ( Commonwealth-Recto, I think) na dumadaan sa Quezon ave. Continuation lang ng MRT3 yung North to Monumento na magko-konekta sa LRT1. LRT5 line, I believe,traverses from Caloocan passing thru Tayuman to V.Mapa. LRT6 line connects LRT1 line from Baclaran to Dasmari?as,Cavite.
  • X--Jason--XX--Jason--X Member PExer
    faux_ph wrote:
    c.)Multiple line- Pwedeng dumaan yung ibang linya ng train halimbawa yung coaches ng Santolan-Recto Line ay pwede dumaan sa riles ng MRT3 ( North-Baclaran Line ). Current state ng railway system natin ay iisang linya lang ang pwede dumaan sa riles.
    Mukhang mahirap lumiko yung mga train pagdating sa stations. Dikit-dikit na kasi yung mga building sa Metro Manila. :D
  • faux_phfaux_ph future technocrat PExer
    ^^That's what you get when you don't have urban planning decades ago. We just have to make to do what is existing. Ewan ko bakit kung bakit ayaw ng ating mga public transportation planners ang mag-underground/ tunneling. Almost all progressive countries relied on their underground railway system as mass transport system, and not on their highways. Wala ba silang bilib sa engineering capability ng Pinoy sa mga ganitong projects?
    faux_ph wrote:
    ^^That's what you get when you don't have urban planning decades ago. We just have to make to do what is existing. Ewan ko bakit kung bakit ayaw ng ating mga public transportation planners ang mag-underground/ tunneling. Almost all progressive countries relied on their underground railway system as mass transport system, and not on their highways. Wala ba silang bilib sa engineering capability ng Pinoy sa mga ganitong projects?

I don't think its a question of capability, I think its more a question of COSTS. It is more expensive to build tunnel systems underground than overground.

I can't recall the costs estimates exactly, but I think it is at least TWICE the costs when you build an overground tunnel system than if you build an underground tunnel system.
  • topnotch97topnotch97 Marley Brinx says hi PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ^^ well for underground transport system, unang una nilang isisigaw ng gobyerno, "ang mahal naman! wala bang murang solusyon?"

ang sagot ko? "eh ang dami nyong kinikita sa huweteng na yan! ba't hindi nyo kaya ipamahagi yang huweteng sa funding ng bagong MRT projects!" jusme.

actually kung titignan yung ibang countries na may monorail system ay very effective sa kanila. tayo may electric cable pa sa ibabaw. again mas mahal ang monorail system.
    I was lucky enough to have ridden the HK, Singapore & SK LRT systems at least once during the late 90s, & basically my observations are:

* The HK & Singapore Trains & Stations by far look more impressive than the SK systems. They look newer, & more modern. I would say the SK & Philippine systems are more similar in terms of modernity and atmosphere.

* I can't recall any of the 3 systems to be crowded at all when I rode there. They just seem easier to ride on than the ones we have.

* Its true about those "Octopus" cards, they look impressive back them. You don't even need to insert the cards into slots. They work thru using proximity transmission, meaning, you only need to place it near the sensor for it to be read.
    - Also, these cards can be put in wallet, or bag, & the sensor would still be able to read the cards.
    - Plus, the bus & train systems are integrated, meaning you can use the same card on the trains, or buses.

Take note, these observations are at least 6 years old already.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file