Home PEx International Entertainment International Movies
Speak your mind, but mind what you post. Let's not spread disinformation and/or misinformation.

THE PRESTIGE: Nolan, Jackman, Bale, Caine, Johansson, Serkis, & Bowie

Looking forward for this film... Wolverine (jackman) & Batman (Bale) in the same movie directed by Christopher Nolan...Awesome!!!

Plot Outline: Based on Christopher Priest's 1996 novel, Bale and Jackman play rival magicians in turn-of-the-century London who battle each other for trade secrets. The rivalry is so intense that it turns them into murderers (from imbd)

Description from the trailer: From acclaimed filmmaker Christopher Nolan (“Memento,” “Batman Begins”), comes a mysterious story of two magicians whose intense rivalry leads them on a life-long battle for supremacy full of obsession, deceit and jealousy with dangerous and deadly consequences.

The trailer can be found here:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/touchstone/theprestige/hd/

Rate This Move 57 votes

:D :D :D :D :D [b]Da Bomb![/b]
61% 35 votes
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: [b]Aprub[/b]
31% 18 votes
:) :) :) [b]Ok lang[/b]
5% 3 votes
:bigyawn: :bigyawn: [b]Di Ko Type[/b]
1% 1 vote
:ayaw: [b]Ayaw Talaga![/b]
0% 0 votes

Comments

• Release dates
    for The Prestige (2006)

Country Date
    USA 27 October 2006 (limited)
    UK 10 November 2006
    Netherlands 4 January 2007
    France 10 January 2007
    Germany 11 January 2007

head.jpg

The_Prestige_01.jpg
    prestigetrailer.jpgprestiget1.jpg (only some of the pictures i found online)

The cast includes: Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Michael Caine, David Bowie, Andy Serkis, and Scarlett Johansson.

Directed by: Chris Nolan (indicated above)
  • Herr_StarrHerr_Starr Member PEx Icon 🎖️🎖️🎖️
    The novel by Christopher Priest was superb. This is perhaps, the true successor to Memento.
  • Heto yung T.V. ad for the movie. Very similar sa trailer plus some additional scenes.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/theprestige.html

Merong din stills from the movie
    Nolan.jpg
    prestige5xq6.jpg

PrestigeSzenenbild_04jpeg_700x466(2).jpgPrestigeSzenenbild_03jpeg_700x466(2).jpg

One month to go! October 20th ito lalabas*okay* . Kailan yung release date sa Pilipinas?
  • last.dodo.birdlast.dodo.bird PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I'm not really as excited for this as I am for other certain movies, but this one will be well worth watching, I think.

I loved Memento. I think Nolan is a great Director, and with this one, he has a good cast to work with again.

Second Scarlett-Hugh pairing this year huh :p Oh yeah, their first - "Scoop" - was soooo good *okay*
  • epsilon wrote:
    Kailan yung release date sa Pilipinas?

THE PRESTIGE opens on October 25 in Metro Manila *okay*
  • AdaAda Administrator PEx Moderator
    I saw this last night and I loved it! I don't want to discuss it yet and spoil it for you guys but this is definitely a must-watch. Cast pa lang winner na. :D
  • blue_jay_elblue_jay_el PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Initially, I was not that excited with this. But when I found out that I won (thanks ada!), mejo napadalawang isip ako and re-checked the plot. It seems interesting naman.

So i'll be watching the advance screening of The Premier this monday...yey (Thanks PEx!)
  • fatalinversionfatalinversion PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Initially, I was not that excited with this. But when I found out that I won (thanks ada!), mejo napadalawang isip ako and re-checked the plot. It seems interesting naman.

So i'll be watching the advance screening of The Premier this monday...yey (Thanks PEx!)

Ay sayang. How come people who dont want to watch the movie win?:( I have been anticipating for this movie since it was mentioned that it was going to be turned into a movie last year. Ive scoured metro manila for the book but only got to buy it last Thursday at Fully Booked. Read it in just 2 days! What a wonderful read!

Anyway, I'll just wait for it then to open on the 25th of October. Bummer!:mecry:

I love Christopher Nolan. Ever since I saw Memento, I knew he was a director to watch out. I was not wrong.

After reading several reviews of The Prestige, you can compare it to the movie The Usual Suspects. After seeing the ending, its either one of two things: You will really Love it or You will really Hate it.

I know I will love it. Its the type of movie where you really have to pay attention and not all answers are given to you. That's why the tagline of the movie is: ARE YOU WATCHING CLOSELY?
  • Trivia: Christian Bale played the role of the (Jew) kid in the film "Empire of the Sun."
  • blue_jay_elblue_jay_el PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Ay sayang. How come people who dont want to watch the movie win?:( I have been anticipating for this movie since it was mentioned that it was going to be turned into a movie last year. Ive scoured metro manila for the book but only got to buy it last Thursday at Fully Booked. Read it in just 2 days! What a wonderful read!

Anyway, I'll just wait for it then to open on the 25th of October. Bummer!:mecry:

I love Christopher Nolan. Ever since I saw Memento, I knew he was a director to watch out. I was not wrong.

After reading several reviews of The Prestige, you can compare it to the movie The Usual Suspects. After seeing the ending, its either one of two things: You will really Love it or You will really Hate it.

I know I will love it. Its the type of movie where you really have to pay attention and not all answers are given to you. That's why the tagline of the movie is: ARE YOU WATCHING CLOSELY?

ei, sorry to here that.

It's not that I dont want to watch the movie. Since I became a pexer, its just my 3rd time (i think) to join an advance screening contest...and there's still a hint of interest in watching the movie, otherwise i shoudn't have joined the contest at all.

Kanya-kanyang panahon lang yan Cheer up! :teehee:
  • SIOPAO MANSIOPAO MAN PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    this movie is about two rival magicians in the 19th century. If you could figure out what goes on in the last 30 minutes of the movie then you are the magician :confused:
  • sana di na lang si scarlett johansson yung leading lady :belat:
    I wasn't aware of this movie until Warner asked us to make a promo for it. I didn't know the plot, hadn't even seen the trailer (although I watched it online a few hours before the screening) but when I found out it was about magic and was directed by Christopher Nolan, those were the clinchers. I couldn't get enough of David Copperfield as a child and Memento's one of my favorite films.

And The Prestige didn't dissapoint. :)

The beginning was a bit confusing because of three different timelines. Unlike other directors who make it easy for the audience to know which timeline they're currently watching (use of black and white, use of transition scenes, etc.) Nolan doesn't use the same. You had to follow the story closely to avoid getting lost.

It also didn't help that I had a hard time understanding Jackman and Bale's fake Cockney accents (incomparable to Caine's natural one.) I will need to get myself a DVD with subtitles.

fatalinversion how much is the book?
  • Herr_StarrHerr_Starr Member PEx Icon 🎖️🎖️🎖️
    Superb movie. Christian Bale was tremendous, as was Michael Caine, and surprisingly, David Bowie as eccentric inventor Nikola Tesla. Hugh Jackman was a bit of a lightweight.

A few things they could have improved, the plot twist was given away a little too early, and they didn't have a satisfactory resolution for Scarlet Johanson. In fact, she didn't have enough to do in this movie.
  • janray:)janray:) PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    tagline pa lang interesting na. "are you watching closely?"

that alone is enough.
    Ada wrote:
    fatalinversion how much is the book?

The book is Php499. I asked the clerk if they had the hardcover since I know I would like the book. Unfortunately not.

I will be watching the movie on Saturday with two of my friends, I would have to treat them though. How come I would have to treat someone just for them to accommodate me watch a movie. Sigh. :mecry:
    ^ Why do you have to treat them? Won't they watch unless you do? :)

Correction on my previous post: There were only two timelines but three concurrent scenes that left me confused.

I love David Bowie! :hiya: I didn't even know he was in the film. When I saw his name in the end credits, I was like, "Who was he in the movie!?" It never crossed my mind he was Tesla.
    Ada wrote:
    ^ Why do you have to treat them? Won't they watch unless you do? :)

Correction on my previous post: There were only two timelines but three concurrent scenes that left me confused.

I love David Bowie! :hiya: I didn't even know he was in the film. When I saw his name in the end credits, I was like, "Who was he in the movie!?" It never crossed my mind he was Tesla.

They wont watch unless I treat them ( partly because it was my birthday last 19th October). Let's just say that its not their type of movie. Its rare to find friends nowadays who would want to watch a movie that requires thinking. Many people like to watch movie because they would NOT want to think at all. Just have fun. Thats it.

Yup, perfect casting for David Bowie. According to Nolan, Tesla was made for him. He was even nervous when he approached Bowie about the idea but he sold it!

How was the reaction of the Filipino audience after watching the film? Im sure there were a lot of discussions. If you want to ask something you didnt understand, I would be more than glad to explain it ( since reading the book is an advantage ). But they changed some things on the screenplay.:D
    ^ The audience (press people actually, it was a press screening) was silent and dumbfounded. One of the final twists was revealed at the very end and the screen abruptly cut to black so I think they were still in shock and didn't have time to react.

Friends not willing/wanting to watch "thinking" movies? Bah! You need a new set of friends. ;)

I've loved David Bowie since "Labyrinth". It's great to see him again on the big screen. I agree: he was perfect for the role. Even Andy Serkis was well cast (as Tesla's assisant) since he has that mad scientist look.

I think I'll buy the book just to see how it compares to the movie. :)
    Ada wrote:
    ^ The audience (press people actually, it was a press screening) was silent and dumbfounded. One of the final twists was revealed at the very end and the screen abruptly cut to black so I think they were still in shock and didn't have time to react.

Friends not willing/wanting to watch "thinking" movies? Bah! You need a new set of friends. ;)

I've loved David Bowie since "Labyrinth". It's great to see him again on the big screen. I agree: he was perfect for the role. Even Andy Serkis was well cast (as Tesla's assisant) since he has that mad scientist look.

I think I'll buy the book just to see how it compares to the movie. :)

Of course, the book is better than the movie. But they can stand on their own medium.

Haha. New set of friends? Probably. Ive never really met any strangers here in PEX. None at all. Just not really the type who likes to take chances. Minsan kasi baka loko-loko lang pala.

Yup, loved David Bowie in Labyrinth. His songs there were perfect!

FYI, Christopher Nolan specifically did not incorporate a David Bowie song as a possible soundtrack for The Prestige since he envisioned Bowie to be either an actor or a contributor of song to the movie. He chose the former. Unlike Memento, at the ending credits it was obvious that Nolan is a Bowie fan since he used Bowie's song when the credits rolled!

The book by the way involves their descendants almost a 100 years after the protagonists' "battles."

Sayang, the movie only did mediocre in the USA Box Office. Although it was number 1 in the box office, it only got $14 point something million dollars. Well, it does have a fresh rating at Rottentomatoes.com. We'll see.